UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They say it takes a month or so after sending deposit

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that. It's the same thing as the pdf of the curriculum. Clinical science 1 includes CPR (the physiology, anatomy, pharm, biochme, histo, patho, etc) you know, the good stuff.

I was looking more for the schedule for the students for everything in semester 1. What time is the class (which should be on the syllabus/timetable), what topics are taught each day, etc.

It would be good to have an idea of what to expect, because 8-6 is a long work day especially when they expect an additional 30 hrs/week of independent study along with it.

Check out the OMSA Guide posted in the Facebook group. There is a schedule for a sample week, as well as a lot of other useful information

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I saw that. It's the same thing as the pdf of the curriculum. Clinical science 1 includes CPR (the physiology, anatomy, pharm, biochme, histo, patho, etc) you know, the good stuff.

I was looking more for the schedule for the students for everything in semester 1. What time is the class (which should be on the syllabus/timetable), what topics are taught each day, etc.

It would be good to have an idea of what to expect, because 8-6 is a long work day especially when they expect an additional 30 hrs/week of independent study along with it.

Slow your roll young jedi,

There is no sense in seeing a schedule because everyone's schedules are different. My roommate has a ton of 8 am's for example and I don't. Generally the entire med school class has lectures at the same time and on the same day, but labs, Clinical coaching, and CBL all meet at different times/days. Schedules also change sometimes week to week because we don't have every prac (lab) every week. Generally first 2 weeks are infection and immunity, next 5 are cardio, next 4 are resp, and final 4 weeks are renal in first semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I will sign up for it and get it out the way next week.

There are so many things we need to complete. Found out there is no medical school housing on campus, so we have to find apartments off campus which are in a reasonable distance. Anyone have an idea when MedEdPath holds their meeting regarding housing situation?

Finding an apt is not hard. Many people in my class showed up to Australia and lived in a hostel or air bnb for a while while searching for an apt. If you come a few weeks before classes start you will have plenty of time to find an apt, and it is much easier to be on site looking at places etc then doing it remotely. I showed up a week and half before orientation and found a roommate pretty quickly and an apt.

Ideally, find a roommate in the fb group before you head over, because I noticed that a lot of my class had found roommates before I got there (unless you wanna live alone which is fine also just tends to be more expensive).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You mind sharing your experience at UQ and the problems you have with how its run/organized?
Check the 2016 thread, and some of the posts in here. I have expanded on this a few times already, as have a few others. It won't be so much of a problem for incoming classes, but they totally dropped the ball with the first MD class. Things like not releasing a rubric for an assessable research protocol (which is a giant pain in the ass in its own right) until a week ago, ethics being atrocious now that Mal Parker is gone (words I never thought I'd hear myself utter), and lectures being kind of all over the place. From what I am told by the group I tutor, much of the issues regarding clinical science have been fixed because they have a better idea of what is going on based on our feedback. They are supposedly fixing research - for next year (yaay class of 2019 instead), so another issue resolved, and they cut back on a bunch of the required ethics readings after people were losing their **** over the amount of work they were required to do.

The main problem with UQ-O for Y1/Y2 isn't so much the program once you separate the clinical science from the stupid UQ requirements like ethics and research, it is simply figuring out the best way to teach yourself what you need to know for both UQ and for step 1. Fortunately most step 1 stuff is applicable to UQ exams, but not necessarily the other way around.

The absolute best things about the program - self study, students all help each other (notes and slides and other random **** is posted constantly to the FB group), and you get to live in Brisbane for a few years, which is legit the best weather ever. Also play rugby with UQ Med XV.

So what are the average stats of those who have been admitted so far for 2017?

Who do you expect to be able to give you such an answer?

Cmon man, look on the mededpath website for average stats the previous year. That would be the most accurate barometer. You can't know an "average" for this year based on some small sample size of whoever accepted this early in the cycle based on their individual qualifications.

I have as well. Also bought a nib policy through this site. It is much cheaper. They emailed the coverage certificate the same day. Pay using a credit card without foreign transaction fees and save some more :)

What time frame did you use -- Feb, 1, 2017 to Dec 20, 2018?

What time frame did you use -- Feb, 1, 2017 to Dec 20, 2018?

Check your "how to accept" guide. It tells you the dates to use. You must have coverage for the entire length of your visa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Check your "how to accept" guide. It tells you the dates to use. You must have coverage for the entire length of your visa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
just saw it - someone answered it - thanks buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone by chance have information on how the send the decision letters? I interviewed on May 13 in NOLA and a couple of other interviewees already got their acceptances( although at different times).

Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Does anyone by chance have information on how the send the decision letters? I interviewed on May 13 in NOLA and a couple of other interviewees already got their acceptances( although at different times).

Any information would be helpful, thanks!

From what I've heard, they send offers in an email. I would expect a decision by July at the latest although it is likely to come sooner. Many get offers before the 6-8 week time frame. I'm assuming that they rank us and then send offers in order of rank. That might explain why it's possible for someone to interview later than you and I, but still get an offer before us. But it probably won't make too big of a difference especially since we have completed the application before the summer MCAT taking cohort. I suspect that admissions would rather put us lower on the list than send a rejection letter and this might explain why we don't hear too much about rejections. That, or maybe people just don't like to talk about rejections. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct my assumptions.

It may be reasonable to suspect that May interviewers will be considered alongside the June 2nd and 3rd interview groups. I speculate offers being made shortly after.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be really interested in knowing how many interviews they are giving out. Last year I read that they invited 245 and accepted the full 120. I would also assume that those who didn't receive acceptances from the May interviews are going to be ranked against those from the June 2 and 3 interviews before the next round of acceptances are sent out.

I imagine that a good fraction of those accepted eventually decide to give up their seat due to financials, other medical schools, change of heart/career, etc. So if they interviewed 245 students for 120 seats, it makes sense that the number of acceptance offers that actually secured a seat will be somewhere in-between. And then there were those accepted, but put on the wait-list.

I noticed many people in the facebook group seem to be a bit older than many medical school students. Curious as to why this is?

I thought the average medical student is about 25/26 years old? But to answer your question, I am guessing it is because many have tried 1+ times to get into medical schools in the US but have been unsuccessful. I would imagine it is rare that UQO is a first choice.

There are some who want the international experience for medical education, from what I've talked to during my interview there the students all seem really happy and enjoyed their experience in Australia and at Ochsner. Can't say that about all other medical schools in the us

Reactions: 2 users
I thought the average medical student is about 25/26 years old? But to answer your question, I am guessing it is because many have tried 1+ times to get into medical schools in the US but have been unsuccessful. I would imagine it is rare that UQO is a first choice.

This is purely conjecture, and anecdotal at best. UQ is one of the top 50 ranked medical schools in the world and provides an experience that one cannot get stateside, as well as high match rates (given the sample size is small), including into competitive specialties. If anyone is considering attending UQ-O simply because it's admission is currently less competitive (although it is getting more competitive from my understanding), then they should reconsider, as this program requires much more self-discipline than many other medical schools.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Many of the Australians are younger - like 22-24 based on just whom I know. Many of the Americans/Canadians are older, I am 33. As far as UQO students coming as a last resort, that isn't accurate. I can probably give you 20 different answers of why people chose the program just from all of us talking about it. There isn't any one overriding reason, and it sure isn't "couldn't get in anywhere else".

Obama stuttering on stage makes me feel better about how my interview went. It was bad, but it wasn't that bad! Who would have thought medical students would be held to higher standards than the president of the USA. I demand a recount.

Obama stuttering on stage makes me feel better about how my interview went. It was bad, but it wasn't that bad! Who would have thought medical students would be held to higher standards than the president of the USA. I demand a recount.

Your interview most likely went just fine! What happened that got you worried? Most people are even more self-critical over the interviews than the interviewers. Don't worry about it!

I chose this program because I was able to live in Australia and have US MD match opportunities so long as I try

To be clear, I was not discrediting people's decision to attend UQO. I was just predicting from what I know about the program and the people interested in it, it is usually not the first and only choice and that MIGHT be why the class is "older". I don't personally know anyone who wants to be an IMG - but maybe there are people out there. Of course everyone is different so this is all just an opinion.

Well this round of interviews is over. Anyone still waiting to hear back from the May 13th interviews?

Well this round of interviews is over. Anyone still waiting to hear back from the May 13th interviews?
I'm still waiting. Are you waiting as well? I'm starting to get anxious

I'm still waiting. Are you waiting as well? I'm starting to get anxious
Not really because it's still very early in the process. There's a Facebook group for those accepted and it's only 30 something members out of the full 120. With rolling admissions, it should be any day. I felt good during my interview.

Not really because it's still very early in the process. There's a Facebook group for those accepted and it's only 30 something members out of the full 120. With rolling admissions, it should be any day. I felt good during my interview.
I felt good with my interview too. Really good, except I didn't have s chance to talk about research experience. I guess it was the way the questions were asked, so now I'm kind of beating myself over it.

Many of the Australians are younger - like 22-24 based on just whom I know. Many of the Americans/Canadians are older, I am 33. As far as UQO students coming as a last resort, that isn't accurate. I can probably give you 20 different answers of why people chose the program just from all of us talking about it. There isn't any one overriding reason, and it sure isn't "couldn't get in anywhere else".

Fair enough, and I agree with most of your points. But the reality is, most people I know who are here are here because:

1) they didn't get into a U.S. M.D. school which makes sense.

That being said, there are lots of very intelligent and capable students here who got into med schools back home, but a lot of those schools were D.O. schools, which, for 1 reason or another, were not appealing to those students.

2) Other students simply didn't want to wait another year or cycle or try again but if they had, they likely would have been successful at U.S. M.D. Many students here had interviews with U.S. M.D. and just didn't make the cut post interview and didn't want to try again in a year.

3) Other students I know had quickly expiring MCAT scores and decided to come here because of the uncertainty of getting into U.S. schools with MCAT scores that wouldn't be valid for much longer.

4) And there's those who decided to only apply here (maybe they didn't feel competitive anywhere else, maybe they were non traditional applicants and didn't want to wait any longer)

I can't name a single person here who had a U.S. M.D. acceptance in their hand and chose to come here but that doesn't mean those people don't exist.

All that being said, everyone I know is quite happy being here, even if it might have been more of an adjustment for some than for others.

Last edited:
@Sean4496, don't beat yourself over not discussing certain things during your interview. If you have it on your CV they will see it during the decision making process.

Those still waiting to hear back, I know the wait is rough, I went thru it last cycle for US schools and this cycle for US and European schools. For UQ, the cycle is still really early. What I got from speaking with Ms. Hudson, by the end of July they will have made a decision on 100/120 kids. Right now, only 30-50 have offers. You have more than enough time. Try to distract yourself in the meantime. Best Wishes to those waiting

At the end of the day we are living in f**king Australia and New Orleans. Which I'm sure will lead to some limited but awesome social adventures. I mean at least we aren't going to the Caribbean.

It better not be the carribean for how much tuition money we are paying lol

Can anyone comment on if Ochsner accepts non-traditional students? I'd be 31 at the time that I'd start and I'd be bringing my wife to Australia. I'm hoping that won't be considered a negative.

They had a little older average age (believe 2016 was 27) than most medical schools. I'll be in my early 30s when I start there, and there were some 3/4th years that were in early 30s as well. You should be fine.

Can anyone comment on if Ochsner accepts non-traditional students? I'd be 31 at the time that I'd start and I'd be bringing my wife to Australia. I'm hoping that won't be considered a negative.

UQ-Ochsner has plenty of non traditional students. The age range is literally from 23-24 year olds right out of college to people in their late 30s. I know several students who are married with children and wife either here or back home. I think the oldest person in our class is 41. I can think of several in their early 30s as well.

It is a bit humbling when you are older and have 20 year old Australian students in your CBL who are just blowing you out of the water in terms of knowledge haha.

But how many would you saw are freshly out of college? When I toured and went for my interview, most people were in their mid to late 20s.

But how many would you saw are freshly out of college? When I toured and went for my interview, most people were in their mid to late 20s.

Ok. Well I don't know exactly. I can tell you that I'm in my late 20s and I'm a bit older than the rest of my close friend group here who are in the 24-26 range. I would say 25-26 is probably the average for Ochsners from what I've seen. However, there are two other 1st year students in my CBL group who are in their late 20s as well. That being said, I know a few people who are 30, 32, 35, and 37 so if you are concerned about being older you won't be alone.

The Australians in our class as a whole are younger. A majority of them do a 3 year undergrad degree and come right into med at around 20. There are a few older ones here and there who switched careers but fewer than in the international cohort and Ochsners.

Keep In mind that the majority of educational systems in other countries allow students who graduate high school into medical school, dental school etc.

The U.S. Is one of the only countries where it's mandatory/ traditional to get a bachelors degree for Medical/Grad schools.

Knowing that, it'd make sense for the average age of UQ/Ochsner program be higher while for only UQ students to be lower. Also did you tour Ochsner or UQ? The students at Ochsner are 3rd/4th years so they'll be older.

My final note is don't worry, as the range of age is large :) you have traditional 21-22 year olds as well as late 20s/early thirties. Which I think is a great thing.

A great doctor is one with experience, maturity. Sense of Humer = Plus :)

He probably meant that the students he interviewed with seemed older.
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. They were in their late-20s while I'm I just graduated this year from undergrad. I'm kind of worried that I would be at a disadvantage because I don't have five years of experience on my CV in comparison to most people in the program if the average age is 27.

UQ-Ochsner has plenty of non traditional students. The age range is literally from 23-24 year olds right out of college to people in their late 30s. I know several students who are married with children and wife either here or back home. I think the oldest person in our class is 41. I can think of several in their early 30s as well.

It is a bit humbling when you are older and have 20 year old Australian students in your CBL who are just blowing you out of the water in terms of knowledge haha.

Thank you for the response. I'm looking forward to applying next year.

So all those who've been accepted and paid their deposits - are we just waiting to hear back on all the documents we need to fill out and on how to choose our clinical preference?

So all those who've been accepted and paid their deposits - are we just waiting to hear back on all the documents we need to fill out and on how to choose our clinical preference?

Yup, I think they will have everything finalized beginning of next month, hopefully.

Check the 2016 thread, and some of the posts in here. I have expanded on this a few times already, as have a few others. It won't be so much of a problem for incoming classes, but they totally dropped the ball with the first MD class. Things like not releasing a rubric for an assessable research protocol (which is a giant pain in the ass in its own right) until a week ago, ethics being atrocious now that Mal Parker is gone (words I never thought I'd hear myself utter), and lectures being kind of all over the place. From what I am told by the group I tutor, much of the issues regarding clinical science have been fixed because they have a better idea of what is going on based on our feedback. They are supposedly fixing research - for next year (yaay class of 2019 instead), so another issue resolved, and they cut back on a bunch of the required ethics readings after people were losing their **** over the amount of work they were required to do.

The main problem with UQ-O for Y1/Y2 isn't so much the program once you separate the clinical science from the stupid UQ requirements like ethics and research, it is simply figuring out the best way to teach yourself what you need to know for both UQ and for step 1. Fortunately most step 1 stuff is applicable to UQ exams, but not necessarily the other way around.

The absolute best things about the program - self study, students all help each other (notes and slides and other random **** is posted constantly to the FB group), and you get to live in Brisbane for a few years, which is legit the best weather ever. Also play rugby with UQ Med XV.

This is pretty much it. I don't know if I would say that everything will be fixed for next year. I honestly think the administration at UQ SoM would have to change for that to happen.

That said, it does seem that at least clinical science, outside of the pathology pracs, has been quite a bit better this semester.