UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to pass out a fair warning to prospective students (as I wish I had this perspective prior to applying to this program).

Biology classes are more reasonable/fair in the LPS Post-bacc program (and are taught by actual Penn professors), but Chemistry professors will actively make a point to drive down grades. They pride themselves on keeping the average exam scores in the 50-60% range and then have full autonomy to manipulate a curve to fit a bell curve. However, they cap the number of A's given out to no more than 8-9% of the class, such that the average grade comes out to roughly a 2.3-2.5 GPA. One former professor (I should mention that post bacc professors are mostly non-Penn professors and often aren't even full time or established professors at smaller schools) was effectively fired in the middle of the Fall 2017 semester, however at that point, she started to enact her revenge on students. It was extremely unprofessional and spoke volumes to her character; for example, when asked for more transparency, she even made a point to threaten the entire class by email that she was instituting 0 curve whatsoever - which ultimately would've failed 40 or so students, as the average grade was a high 50%. The Canvas site - with files and grade calculations and distributions - was wiped and hidden almost immediately following the completion of the course. That's not to say that the professor was specifically hiding the evidence, but it sure was convenient and fishy.

Furthermore, topics that were heavily emphasized across multiple lectures were never once tested on midterms or the final. On the other hand, 50% of the final exam was based on topics that were discussed for fewer than 30 minutes in aggregate over the semester or entirely unmentioned until a review session a few days prior to the final exam. In addition, there were no practice exams or practice materials provided in the latter half of the semester, and previous exams were not returned until the next exam was already taken. Even if you end up being one of the 7 students in a class of 80 to get a 4.0 GPA, it's unlikely that you would have obtained much knowledge to carry over to future classes and the MCAT; to get an A, you will have obtained roughly a 70% raw score and received feedback more on your ability to guess answers on new concepts rather than feedback on how clearly you were able to demonstrate mastery of the topics covered.

Luckily for future students, she is no longer a part of this program, but other chemistry professors seem to share similar attitudes. However, it magnifies a system issue across the program and lack of concern for students. The program administration was completely lackadaisical about the issue, and when pressed hard by multiple students, finally instituted a "grand, sweeping" fix, which resulted in a grade boost of approximately 1% which either bumped people up by a third of a grade or nothing at all.

Overall, the program is of little to no concern for the actual administrators at the University of Pennsylvania. Sure, you have the Ivy league name, but this program is essentially unaffiliated with the University and overall is an insult to the Ivy League brand. It's really not worth the time and money - just go somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So i was just recently offered an interview and I didn't know if anyone had any tips or sample questions that they had been asked. Also, does anyone know what the chances of getting in after being interviewed are? I have heard they are fairly high and it seems that way from reading a little bit of the group. Thanks :)
I interviewed last week! Have you heard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
May I possibly interject to whomever has had the fortune to come upon this comment.
GO TO MEREDITH COLLEGE'S POST-BAC PROGRAM.

Hi! Do you mind sharing the turn around time to hear back for an interview! It's been about three weeks for me, and I'm nervous!
I haven't heard either so we're in the same boat. Think positively!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be submitting an application to the specialized studies program in early April if I don't get into med school this cycle. Does anyone know how many people actually get into Perelman through the linkage program?

I'll be submitting an application to the specialized studies program in early April if I don't get into med school this cycle. Does anyone know how many people actually get into Perelman through the linkage program?
In specialized studies none, that linkage is only for the core studies program and it's (at most) one person yearly if I recall. Only medical schools you can link into are PCOM and Rutgers.

Hello everyone!

I recently applied for Upenn's Core Studies prgram for the summer semester. My application wasn't ready for review until april 6th because my offical SAT scores were missing. I was just wondering how long it typically takes to hear back for an interview? I am applying for a fresh start and to enhance a GPA of a 2.5. I have gained a ton of working experience in the dental field since graduating and I have a recommendation letter from an alum of UPenn's dental school. I'm hoping this increases my chances of being accepted.

Hello everyone!

I recently applied for Upenn's Core Studies prgram for the summer semester. My application wasn't ready for review until april 6th because my offical SAT scores were missing. I was just wondering how long it typically takes to hear back for an interview? I am applying for a fresh start and to enhance a GPA of a 2.5. I have gained a ton of working experience in the dental field since graduating and I have a recommendation letter from an alum of UPenn's dental school. I'm hoping this increases my chances of being accepted.

Hey does anyone know the turn over time for when we should expect an email to set up an interview? I applied for summer 2018 core studies and I’m a little nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted into the Specialized Studies program for this fall! To answer the above question, my interviewer told me after my interview that I would hear in about three weeks. This was last Thursday, and I actually got an acceptance email this morning. So stoked! Anyone else on here in my cohort?

How cutthroat is the specialized science program? The poster on the first page states that it is not, but that was 9 years ago. The poster also says that the program is not curved so its possible everyone gets an A, can anyone confirm?

Just wanted to pass out a fair warning to prospective students (as I wish I had this perspective prior to applying to this program).

Biology classes are more reasonable/fair in the LPS Post-bacc program (and are taught by actual Penn professors), but Chemistry professors will actively make a point to drive down grades. They pride themselves on keeping the average exam scores in the 50-60% range and then have full autonomy to manipulate a curve to fit a bell curve. However, they cap the number of A's given out to no more than 8-9% of the class, such that the average grade comes out to roughly a 2.3-2.5 GPA. One former professor (I should mention that post bacc professors are mostly non-Penn professors and often aren't even full time or established professors at smaller schools) was effectively fired in the middle of the Fall 2017 semester, however at that point, she started to enact her revenge on students. It was extremely unprofessional and spoke volumes to her character; for example, when asked for more transparency, she even made a point to threaten the entire class by email that she was instituting 0 curve whatsoever - which ultimately would've failed 40 or so students, as the average grade was a high 50%. The Canvas site - with files and grade calculations and distributions - was wiped and hidden almost immediately following the completion of the course. That's not to say that the professor was specifically hiding the evidence, but it sure was convenient and fishy.

Furthermore, topics that were heavily emphasized across multiple lectures were never once tested on midterms or the final. On the other hand, 50% of the final exam was based on topics that were discussed for fewer than 30 minutes in aggregate over the semester or entirely unmentioned until a review session a few days prior to the final exam. In addition, there were no practice exams or practice materials provided in the latter half of the semester, and previous exams were not returned until the next exam was already taken. Even if you end up being one of the 7 students in a class of 80 to get a 4.0 GPA, it's unlikely that you would have obtained much knowledge to carry over to future classes and the MCAT; to get an A, you will have obtained roughly a 70% raw score and received feedback more on your ability to guess answers on new concepts rather than feedback on how clearly you were able to demonstrate mastery of the topics covered.

Luckily for future students, she is no longer a part of this program, but other chemistry professors seem to share similar attitudes. However, it magnifies a system issue across the program and lack of concern for students. The program administration was completely lackadaisical about the issue, and when pressed hard by multiple students, finally instituted a "grand, sweeping" fix, which resulted in a grade boost of approximately 1% which either bumped people up by a third of a grade or nothing at all.

Overall, the program is of little to no concern for the actual administrators at the University of Pennsylvania. Sure, you have the Ivy league name, but this program is essentially unaffiliated with the University and overall is an insult to the Ivy League brand. It's really not worth the time and money - just go somewhere else.

Does anyone know if this is still true? I would be applying for the fall 2019 term. This post is terrifying and this program costs so much money, I need to know if I'm actually going to be able to get good grades because that's the only reason I'd be doing the program.

If it is still true, can anyone point me to a comparable program to the UPenn Pre-Health Post Bacc SSP???

Does anyone know if this is still true? I would be applying for the fall 2019 term. This post is terrifying and this program costs so much money, I need to know if I'm actually going to be able to get good grades because that's the only reason I'd be doing the program.

If it is still true, can anyone point me to a comparable program to the UPenn Pre-Health Post Bacc SSP???

Hi SilverSeptember, if you PM me I can address some of your concerns and give additional advice.

Can I get into the Core Studies program if I have to take only Organic Chemistry as prerequisites?

Any previous Specialized Studies students want to comment on this program? I was accepted but am very unsure if this program or Georgetown's MS in Physiology (not an SMP) is better for me?

Any previous Specialized Studies students want to comment on this program? I was accepted but am very unsure if this program or Georgetown's MS in Physiology (not an SMP) is better for me?
How's your undergrad GPA? What's the price difference? Those are the major considerations between the SSP and any SMP, as the SSP counts towards your undergrad GPA whereas an SMP will be it's own GPA

How's your undergrad GPA? What's the price difference? Those are the major considerations between the SSP and any SMP, as the SSP counts towards your undergrad GPA whereas an SMP will be it's own GPA
3.0s and 3.4c. I would say price diff is 10-15k. But I’m more concerned with improving my chances to get into md. Thanks for taking time to answer!

3.0s and 3.4c. I would say price diff is 10-15k. But I’m more concerned with improving my chances to get into md. Thanks for taking time to answer!
Do the math to see whether getting straight A's in the post-bacc would bump your GPA to near the median for lower-tier MD schools (around 3.60), if so then the post-bacc is the better option due to the money saved and the shorter length. If not, go for the SMP. Either way, make sure you have a solid MCAT to make up for the lower GPA, especially if you're dead set on only MD schools and not DO.

Can I get into the Core Studies program if I have to take only Organic Chemistry as prerequisites?
Yes. There are students in core studies who have taken a few prereq’s before. Did you not take the prereq classes for orgo?

Does anyone here know how long it takes for an interview request. I have been marked complete may 6th, and I have not heard back anything yet, when should I hear back from them?

I think this is comprised of all the years, but I applied on May 6th and still waiting. You can inbox me if you have questions.

Has anyone heard back yet with either a decision or interview offer? I applied to the Pre-Health Specialized Studies program, was marked completed on 5/6/20 as well, but still haven't heard back.

Has anyone heard back yet with either a decision or interview offer? I applied to the Pre-Health Specialized Studies program, was marked completed on 5/6/20 as well, but still haven't heard back.
I just got an interview offer for the SSP - I applied on 05/20/20. They said I can schedule an interview for next week

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
2016 grad, 3.0u, 2.88s, 2018 mcat 502- will retake next yr.

Currently committed to one of the two Rutgers MBS programs atm (I was accepted to both), but I'm going to do the UPenn interview anyway, and ask some deeper questions about the program during then. I liked the Rutgers MBS bc it's taught by the med school faculty directly, vs UPenn being taught by undergrad.

does you sgpa include math? I haven't taken mcat yet, and im sacred if that is the determining factor.

ye, my sgpa includes math (BCPM). I have no idea if taking the mcat or not prior to the program matters, but you might want to email the adcom about that.

yeah I already asked them and they said that their process is taking a bit longer. I have cgpa 3.28 (3.31 now) and sgpa 2.7 and no scores and this is one of my top choices.

I have similar stats as well as no MCAT I couldn’t even take the GRE because of COVID I sent in my SAT scores though haven’t heard back yet either

I got an email with an interview offer last week as well

I got an interview offer yesterday and applied earlier this month

I recently committed to the Specialized Studies Program. I applied mid-February, interviewed mid-March and was accepted about a week later.

^same, had my interview yesterday for SSP - went fairly well I think. However, I'm most probably declining as I've committed to an SMP now.
Also, some questions I asked:

What's the attrition rate?
- 5-7%, usually due to financial reasons

How many people are in the program?
- Total active students as of 5/25/20: 275
- SSP: avg 50-65 students enter each cycle
- CSP: avg 25-35 students enter each cycle

Expectations and precautions relative to COVID?
- Summer classes this year have been entirely online. The campus is currently closed to all but extreme essential personnel.
- Dean of UPenn is supposed to be updating the situation fairly soon regarding the Fall semester plans.
- Preparing to open up the campus in waves.

Yeah, I thought it was kinda fast, but I also called or emailed them almost every day.

had my SSP interview 6/25/20, accepted 6/30/20. Will probably decline in favor of another program

Last edited: