updated pass program videos (2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradnyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so it seems that the pass program has updated videos out (probably in last year or two?) for those students who watch the videos from their own homes. anyone watch these? i have seen the videos from 2012 and noticed there was some factually incorrect info and several typo's in the presentation, so i was wondering if this was still the case with the updated videos. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

so it seems that the pass program has updated videos out (probably in last year or two?) for those students who watch the videos from their own homes. anyone watch these? i have seen the videos from 2012 and noticed there was some factually incorrect info and several typo's in the presentation, so i was wondering if this was still the case with the updated videos. thanks

This is right up my alley. So the new videos came out in mid 2014. There shouldn't be some, if any, factual incorrect information. Dr. Francis updates his lectures every month according to what's going on in the research world, because he reviews all new publications to keep himself up to date and keep students up to date. It's something he has to do (and it's something he enjoys because he likes connecting the fundamentals of medicine to the clinical sciences), because questions are constantly being updated and he needs to stay on the cutting edge.

There might be some stuff that "contradicts" other sources out there, but that's more that what's common knowledge will not get you a point on the exam. For example, for causes of microsteatosis of the liver, most people would select Reye's Syndrome. That's correct, but that's not the most common reason for it. It's actually in order of frequency: 1) Pregnancy 2) Acetaminophen 3) Reye's Syndrome. So if all three options are present, and you selected Reye's, you would not get a point on the exam, even though it's a cause of microsteatosis. You would have to select pregnancy to get a point on that particular question. If only Reye's was present, than you would get a point. It depends on how the test writer frames the question. You have to keep your mind organized.

They updated the slides to make them cleaner to look at and to minimize the typos, but there still may have some here and there. I don't know why they do that, there shouldn't be any typos at all. The content is great though. Everything is in high definition, so it's pretty visually appealing.

There are about 100 hours of video, and the style is different than the lecture because he's teaching on a whiteboard (along with the slides in a corner), he usually doesn't do that during the live lecture. One of the the biggest misconceptions is students think that they can watch all 100 videos and then do well on UWorld/NBME's. That's just not true; it's a silver bullet in terms of all the content you need to know for the exam and is explained in a manner for you to understand the material. Every UWorld question (except for anatomy) has a line/section in the Notes that you can anchor it to, but you have to be to apply that material to get the practice question right. The application is the biggest hurdle where the majority of people stumble, and the way to overcome it is to be constantly doing questions to hone your skills.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in getting the updated videos! They're only offering live review now, and told me I couldn't buy the videos through them on edumind at this time.