Unsure of what next steps to take for reaching medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ganbame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently an undergraduate student going into my fourth year at a Canadian university and over the past couple days I've been struggling on figuring out what steps I should take to pursue medicine further. My GPA over my 3 years on the OMSAS scale is 3.95, 3.54, and 2.60. My last year GPA is incredibly low with a handful of courses I barely managed to pass due to taking on more activities and difficult courses than I could handle. I have good ECs and a 512 MCAT.

I am wondering about what steps to take right now. I am willing to leave Canada as my chances of getting an acceptance at a Canadian school seems to be slim to none. I'm willing to take an extra year and work towards an American medical school (MD or DO), but I am unsure about going to the Caribbean, Australia or Ireland.

Should I be retaking the courses I did poorly in and retake the MCAT as well? I understand that a downward trend does not look good so I want to work my hardest to show admissions I am capable of more.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.