University of waterloo Pharmacy c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepharm2727

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've decided to create a thread for Waterloo applicants, for the January 2017 admission cycle.
We can share our stats and any knowledge about the application process :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to waterloo pharm. Third year 83%

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow this thread is so dead!
Who else is super pumped for the round of admissions this year?
:)

@prepharm2727 Make sure to include all your work/volunteering/hobbies, not just the things you think are related to pharmacy. Hope it helps!

Currently applying from Second Year at McMaster... what are my chances?

Cumulative average ~ 82%
Prerequisite average ~ 81%
Don't have many extracurriculars in university (just some general member positions) but have a decent amount of high school volunteering and work too.
Volunteered at a Shoppers pharmacy for about a year (2 years ago) and at a local pharmacy the past summer.
Taking 3 of the required courses this semester though because I am only in second year (Winter 2017), they are in progress and so I don't have a mark for them yet but will be completed by final transcript date, will this affect my chances?

Thanks! :)

@21rx The 3 courses you're taking won't disadvantage you. People have been admitted missing up to 3 courses (on condition they complete them before the start of the program).

I get the impression UW wants more rounded candidates whereas UofT pretty much looks at academics. I've applied to both, and my academics are strong but I have no extracurriculars and really dont have many hobbies outside of watching movies/gaming (oops).

In terms of academics, my cGPA is around 3.75-3.8 (for my Hon.BSc degree) and I also have an MSc in Physiology and a primary author paper on the way. I know these things will give me cred at UT, but do I have any chance of making it at Waterloo?

I get the impression UW wants more rounded candidates whereas UofT pretty much looks at academics. I've applied to both, and my academics are strong but I have no extracurriculars and really dont have many hobbies outside of watching movies/gaming (oops).

In terms of academics, my cGPA is around 3.75-3.8 (for my Hon.BSc degree) and I also have an MSc in Physiology and a primary author paper on the way. I know these things will give me cred at UT, but do I have any chance of making it at Waterloo?

You do the GPA, but that means you're only one-third of the way there for an interview. They look equally on your AIF, as well as your reference letter. If you can do really well on your AIF/get a solid reference letter. You have a good chance for an interview. If you make it for the interview nothing else matters besides the interview and the SFA test.

You do the GPA, but that means you're only one-third of the way there for an interview. They look equally on your AIF, as well as your reference letter. If you can do really well on your AIF/get a solid reference letter. You have a good chance for an interview. If you make it for the interview nothing else matters besides the interview and the SFA test.

Awesome, thanks! Do you know when they usually send out info re: interviews?

AIF submitted!!
Good luck to everyone, hopefully I land an interview this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Yall! Im SOOO excited for this years admissions process, im on the waterloo pharm site everyday :p

Ive been a pharmacy assistant for four years (senior position now) with over 3400 hours experience. i am also shadowing at two hospital pharmacies. I volunteer at a hospital and a cancer society, and am also going to the dominican republic for a community healthcare experience with local doctors. My reference is a pharmacist AND a waterloo pharm preceptor! Just worried about my marks, not the best since a very close family member had cancer.
I really hope to get an interview, im in love with pharmacy :D Good luck to you all !!

Hey Yall! Im SOOO excited for this years admissions process, im on the waterloo pharm site everyday :p

Ive been a pharmacy assistant for four years (senior position now) with over 3400 hours experience. i am also shadowing at two hospital pharmacies. I volunteer at a hospital and a cancer society, and am also going to the dominican republic for a community healthcare experience with local doctors. My reference is a pharmacist AND a waterloo pharm preceptor! Just worried about my marks, not the best since a very close family member had cancer.
I really hope to get an interview, im in love with pharmacy :D Good luck to you all !!

What range are your marks in if you don't mind me asking?

@wizardpharm your overall average has to be 75% for your application to be considered. Might be safe to check with admissions if you're not sure if you meet the cutoff.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I also applied. I'm from Montreal, so the educational system is a little different for us. Here are my stats:

Academics:
McGill U - 3.4 cGPA (graduating this term with a BSc in Physiology)
CEGEP - 83%
Overall ~ 80% (Mean - McGill and CEGEP)
Prereq - 81%

Work/research/volunteer:
Worked for a year and 1/2 as a clinical research assistant, did study visits and published 3 abstracts and perhaps a paper soon. I have a Clinical Research certificate and currently doing a lab research project on cancer immunotherapy. Volunteered 100+ hours in hospitals and worked as a chemistry grader/tutor. Also started a not-for-profit organization last year that's still active now.

Any takes on my chances? I have a LoR from a nephrologist.

Best of luck to all.

Update: This year uWaterloo received over 650 applications for Pharmacy for 120 spots available.

One month until the interview invites.... so excited!!

Hey guys! We're so close to hearing about interviews!!
I was wondering how many extracurriculars you guys listed in your AIF, thanks!

15 dayyys!!

how many applicants and how many people usually get interviews?

This forum is so dead

how many applicants and how many people usually get interviews?

I believe there are about 650 applicants this year. They have around 120 places, 20 of which are reserved for CAP. They'll probably interview about 200-240 people.

Can't wait! :heckyeah:........ 2 days

Reactions: 1 users
In case anyone is interested, the demographics @ UofT & Waterloo pharmacy is very different
- @ UWaterloo, the majority of the class is ~ 20 y.o
- @ UofT, majority of the class have a bachelor degree (~ 23 y.o & up)

You guys are a lot more pumped than the people in the UofT thread

I'm from Montreal too. Quick question: Are we going to receive the interviews invitations right after midnight or during the day ?

I'm from Montreal too. Quick question: Are we going to receive the interviews invitations right after midnight or during the day ?
Past forums said that they received emails during the day, in the morning/afternoon

Good luck tomorrow guyss! Dream of that interview acceptance :):):singing:

Reactions: 1 users
Will we be notified even if we don't get an interview?

Has anyone received an email yet?