University of Washington Residency thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mancarebearpig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anybody have any informed thoughts or reviews on the current UW EM program? The rank list deadline is coming up and as much as I loved the people, program and the city during my interview day, I still have a few concerns (that may or may not be legitimate) that haven't been addressed. I haven't seen much said about the program on here, so any thoughts from people in the know (UW students, current residents, etc) would be incredibly helpful for me in finalizing my rank list.

It sounds like the program has advanced leaps and bounds from its previous situation. My main concerns:

1. The situation with anesthesia and trauma activations. It sounds like anesthesia responds to and controls the airway in all traumas. Combined with the fact that most patients come in already intubated by the excellent Medic One guys and gals, it seems that the EM residents will get very little to no experience with managing trauma airways.

2. A couple of residents made comments that sounded like they were having trouble meeting numbers on certain procedures. This may be due to not having done ICU rotations yet? However, given the strong presence of surgery in the ED, this makes me worry that during codes there aren't many procedures left over for EM residents.

3. I know the program carries a certain stigma left over from the time when the ED was staffed by IM docs and leadership was very anti-EM as a specialty. Will this make it difficult for graduates to find jobs in the community? In academics? Obtain fellowships? This year is the first graduating class, so it's difficult to get a sense of trends. What is the opinion of the residency and institution in the general EM community?

Thanks for any thoughts that you guys have to share!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the program other than what is available on the interwebs. As far as #3... Unfortunately, a lot of community jobs are going to be CMG and they're not known for being picky. As far as other community sites, I don't see UW grads having a problem anymore than anyone else. The only hindrance would be it is a new program, and not the history of the UW hospitals. It's not Dr. Copass training the EM docs, right? So, the anti-EM history of the hospital shouldn't matter (keep in mind that many institutions were once anti-EM, and many residencies, even ones considered "competitive", still can't get out from under either medicine or surgery). If the faculty are known to a place you're applying, that will help you more than anything if they write a recommendation for you.

1. The situation with anesthesia and trauma activations. It sounds like anesthesia responds to and controls the airway in all traumas. Combined with the fact that most patients come in already intubated by the excellent Medic One guys and gals, it seems that the EM residents will get very little to no experience with managing trauma airways.

I'm a med student who is fairly familiar with the UW program. Anesthesia only comes down to the ED for a "Full" (i.e. major) trauma code activation, and do not specifically control the airway even then. The policy is that there should be a conversation between the EM attending and the Anesthesia attending about which resident is going to secure the airway. Not an ideal situation, but it is not like Anesthesia residents are getting every trauma airway.

The bigger issue is, as you touched on, the fact the Medic One is a very strong EMS organization. So I think the majority of major traumas are going to come in intubated already, which can suck.

3. I know the program carries a certain stigma left over from the time when the ED was staffed by IM docs and leadership was very anti-EM as a specialty. Will this make it difficult for graduates to find jobs in the community? In academics? Obtain fellowships? This year is the first graduating class, so it's difficult to get a sense of trends. What is the opinion of the residency and institution in the general EM community?

Who knows, but my feeling is that UW has all the cogs in place to be a top tier program, even as things stand right now. Great mix of academic/county/community medicine and the program leadership has done an excellent job of recruiting strong faculty. Not to mention the strength of the current residents, who seem to be very competitive. I would be surprised if UW wasn't one of the strongest West Coast programs by reputation in another decade. Judging by interview invites, they are already one of the most competitive places to get an interview it seems...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How competitive are the EM spots at UW? I went to undergrad there and wondering if I should come back for an audition/away rotation next year.

How competitive are the EM spots at UW? I went to undergrad there and wondering if I should come back for an audition/away rotation next year.

Unless something has changed in the last few months, UW doesn't accept visiting students in EM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Anybody have any informed thoughts or reviews on the current UW EM program? The rank list deadline is coming up and as much as I loved the people, program and the city during my interview day, I still have a few concerns (that may or may not be legitimate) that haven't been addressed. I haven't seen much said about the program on here, so any thoughts from people in the know (UW students, current residents, etc) would be incredibly helpful for me in finalizing my rank list.

It sounds like the program has advanced leaps and bounds from its previous situation. My main concerns:

2. A couple of residents made comments that sounded like they were having trouble meeting numbers on certain procedures. This may be due to not having done ICU rotations yet? However, given the strong presence of surgery in the ED, this makes me worry that during codes there aren't many procedures left over for EM residents.

Thanks for any thoughts that you guys have to share!!

I almost went to UW for residency and absolutely loved it when I visited, enough to go back for a second look and shadow a couple of days there. Great faculty, great rotation sites with high acuity and a great place to live. I think most MS4 applicants are far too concerned with the issues above and that they will have little to no overall impact with your training (I'm a new attending, CA residency).

1) Trauma airways are usually not that hard, you just work around a C collar. Modern day glide scopes make this pretty easy. Learning to deal with bloody airway in an unstable patient is a different story, and out of the large number of major traumas you will see in residency very few will have massive facial trauma. Medical cases like upper GI bleed will also provide exposure to things like this...but be assured, no matter where you train this will remain a stressful and difficult airway situation.

2) Don't know about their specific numbers but the graduating residents I talked to were very happy and seemed to competent. You'll refine your skills and really hit your stride 2-3 years out of residency (some say 5). If they were really having difficulty getting their procedure numbers ACGME accreditation would be all over them. Given the high volume center I'm sure a lot comes in. Some of the new residency sites that are single center and relatively small community hospitals would likely have much more difficulty.

3) Maybe a bit? But does it really matter. I went to a residency that was around 7 years old. There were the occasional turf battles between trauma, anesthesia and EM. Sometimes GI didn't like being called in the middle of the night for xyz but then got mad if they weren't called for zyx. It's medicine. Other specialties will always dump on the ED from time to time, but then happily send their own patients and family members there expecting high quality care. And guess what, we moan about some of those specialty services too. Community jobs in Seattle are notoriously hard to come by and UW graduates seem to have a huge leg up. For difficult jobs it's who you know that gets you the interview and by being local I bet you'd know a lot more. One of my friends just went to Seattle and she's surrounded by UW grads. For fellowship, I have heard that the general trend is that academic fellowship applicants get a leg up from coming from a prestigious academic medical center. But even then it's a bit of a small leg up. I went to a big top tier medical center for my training and about 50-60% of my co-residents were from big name med schools, while the rest weren't. Fellowship was a similar mix though nobody came from the small community residencies or DO residency programs.

My best advice is poached from an admin at Highland (where I also didn't go but really appreciated their insight)...."Geography and gestalt."

Go where you would love to live and have access to either family/friends/peer group and a functional support system who will get you through residency. See if people there are happy and if they have a good work life balance and if you seem to blend with them socially.

Ultimately, one of the big factors that turned me off about UW was not the quality of their training or location. When I was ranking programs UW had 3 weeks of vacation compared to 4 at most programs and also worked a fair number of shifts (throughout residency each week of vacation was like gold, and staved off burnout just in time...I wouldn't trade an extra week for anything). They also had a particularly low anual salary in comparison to cost of living for the city and with family being further away I wasn't sure I would be able to afford living there while traveling to see family and friends enough to stay happy for the long term. Personal factors for me.

Good luck.

2) Don't know about their specific numbers but the graduating residents I talked to were very happy and seemed to competent. You'll refine your skills and really hit your stride 2-3 years out of residency (some say 5). If they were really having difficulty getting their procedure numbers ACGME accreditation would be all over them. Given the high volume center I'm sure a lot comes in. Some of the new residency sites that are single center and relatively small community hospitals would likely have much more difficulty.

Required numbers are pretty low (35 intubations, 20 central lines) and simulations can count, so I don't know how any program is not hitting required numbers since you could just sim your way out of that problem. Also, they're not THAT busy. Regardless, its all about staffing.

Required numbers are pretty low (35 intubations, 20 central lines) and simulations can count, so I don't know how any program is not hitting required numbers since you could just sim your way out of that problem. Also, they're not THAT busy. Regardless, its all about staffing.

Required numbers are absurdly low.

Maybe It's just me but I'd never feel comfortable with a BC EM physician who's only done 35 tubes.

The sad fact is that if you took away their anesthesia block many residents wouldn't meet their required numbers at some programs.

Required numbers are absurdly low.

Maybe It's just me but I'd never feel comfortable with a BC EM physician who's only done 35 tubes.

The sad fact is that if you took away their anesthesia block many residents wouldn't meet their required numbers at some programs.

I hope those programs are in the minority, but I don't doubt that they exist. Seattle paramedics intubate around 1000 patients per year and that doesn't count the patients flown or driven in from the burbs, who also have very aggressive, well trained paramedics (e.g. King Co Medic One and Airlift Northwest). Seattle and King Co medics also can place central lines (SUBCLAVIANS!), so that post code patient they bring in? Definitely tubed. And they may already have a central line.

I hope those programs are in the minority, but I don't doubt that they exist. Seattle paramedics intubate around 1000 patients per year and that doesn't count the patients flown or driven in from the burbs, who also have very aggressive, well trained paramedics (e.g. King Co Medic One and Airlift Northwest). Seattle and King Co medics also can place central lines (SUBCLAVIANS!), so that post code patient they bring in? Definitely tubed. And they may already have a central line.

A paramedic placing a pre-hospital central line in a dense urban area seems completely insane to me. How could that possibly be justified in the era of the IO? And the ER docs don't do the trauma intubations there? Whole deal seems upside down to me.

Apparently EM can intubate traumas, but they MUST be supervised by anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a slap in the face to the EM faculty.
Again, just seems jacked up that the medics can intubate and drop lines on their own but the EM docs need their hands held.
The future of medicine, my friend. Everyone is a doctor except for those stupid overqualified doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man, the misinformation is rampant on this thread. I've actually spent some time in the Harborview ED (one of the 4 core sites for the UW residency) and the following are the facts:

1. Anesthesia faculty do not supervise EM faculty on airways. They only even come to the ED for the highest trauma tier activations (trauma codes), and often because these patients are OR bound and extra hands are often needed and appreciated. The vast majority of these patients are intubated in the field. All other airways are done by EM residents with EM faculty supervising.

2. The field subclavian is rare and dying. These are leftover from the pre-IO era and are being phased out. When they do come in, they're removed (nonsterile) and usually replaced with a sterile line placed by, you guessed it, one of the EM residents.

3. The residents get tons of procedures and have a great procedural training. The 4 sites are all different, busy, and sick in different ways. Some procedures (e.g. chest tubes, trauma lines) are overly abundant at Harborview as there's tons high mechanism blunt trauma. Others are heavier at others sites.

4. UW is a really solid training program in an awesome location. In just 5-6ish years, they've built a residency, multiple fellowships, recruiting outstanding faculty, and are headed toward department status in a month. I'm excited to see what they do over the next 5 years.

It seems that the EM residents will get very little to no experience with managing trauma airways.

Airways that involve significant facial trauma and distort airway anatomy aren't all that common to begin with so you may graduate without seeing on wherever you go.

This does sound like a problem. You don't want to be in a situation where surgery is stealing your central lines and chest tubes.

Although I can't address working at UW specifically or getting a fellowship, the job market in Washington is dominated by Team Health and EMcare. Washington also happens to be one of the worst malpractice states in the country with a lawyer friendly five year window instead of the more common two year window to sue. Finding work as an ABEM physician won't be a problem, currently there are 23 advertised open jobs there.

I almost went to UW for residency and absolutely loved it when I visited, enough to go back for a second look and shadow a couple of days there. Great faculty, great rotation sites with high acuity and a great place to live. I think most MS4 applicants are far too concerned with the issues above and that they will have little to no overall impact with your training (I'm a new attending, CA residency).

3) Maybe a bit? 1)But does it really matter. I went to a residency that was around 7 years old. There were the occasional turf battles between trauma, anesthesia and EM. Sometimes GI didn't like being called in the middle of the night for xyz but then got mad if they weren't called for zyx. It's medicine. Other specialties will always dump on the ED from time to time, but then happily send their own patients and family members there expecting high quality care. And guess what, we moan about some of those specialty services too. Community jobs in Seattle are notoriously hard to come by and UW graduates seem to have a huge leg up. 2)For difficult jobs it's who you know that gets you the interview and by being local I bet you'd know a lot more. One of my friends just went to Seattle and she's surrounded by UW grads. For fellowship, I have heard that the general trend is that academic fellowship applicants get a leg up from coming from a prestigious academic medical center. But even then it's a bit of a small leg up. I went to a big top tier medical center for my training and about 50-60% of my co-residents were from big name med schools, while the rest weren't. Fellowship was a similar mix though nobody came from the small community residencies or DO residency programs

...3)They also had a particularly low anual salary in comparison to cost of living for the city and with family being further away I wasn't sure I would be able to afford living there while traveling to see family and friends enough to stay happy for the long term. Personal factors for me.

Re: the bolded above, 1) I think it matters. Newly-established programs have more battles to fight, more masters to serve, and consequently more bull**** to work through. This manifests at UW as a few rotations that are incredibly low yield (a month on the ortho floor as a PGY3? Kill me), little leverage in the hospital as a division, and having to share half the ED half the time with surgery. It's a culture that is going to take years to overcome. Does it cripple their training? No, but it's certainly suboptimal.
2) Definitely true that who you know is key, especially in Seattle. That said, UW has graduated <30 EM docs total in 3 classes. They're not exactly saturating the market up there.
3) This is killer - UW as an institution does not take particularly good care of their residents, although they do offer a solid 401k, strangely. Plus, your tax burden in WA is going to be higher than most other states. Seattle is no SF/LA/NYC, but its definitely not a place I would be excited to live in on a resident salary.

Oh man, the misinformation is rampant on this thread. I've actually spent some time in the Harborview ED (one of the 4 core sites for the UW residency) and the following are the facts:

1. Anesthesia faculty do not supervise EM faculty on airways. They only even come to the ED for the highest trauma tier activations (trauma codes), and often because these patients are OR bound and extra hands are often needed and appreciated. The vast majority of these patients are intubated in the field. All other airways are done by EM residents with EM faculty supervising.

Just for clarification, I never said that anesthesia faculty supervise EM faculty on all intubations. It is my understanding that they do supervise all trauma airways.
See 2nd to last slide: http://www.uwmedicine.org/referrals...ons/Grabinsky-Whats New Airway Management.pdf

I'm glad to hear that they will be achieving departmental status. I hope other stragglers do the same.

Just for clarification, I never said that anesthesia faculty supervise EM faculty on all intubations. It is my understanding that they do supervise all trauma airways.
See 2nd to last slide: http://www.uwmedicine.org/referrals/Documents/presentations/Grabinsky-Whats New Airway Management.pdf

I'm glad to hear that they will be achieving departmental status. I hope other stragglers do the same.
See 2nd to last slide: http://www.uwmedicine.org/referrals/Documents/presentations/Grabinsky-Whats New Airway Management.pdf

Yeah, I was just there. Anesthesia defintely does not supervise trauma airways. This slide only implies they are available to help with difficult airways, which I never actually saw happen. Just want to make sure the info out there is accurate.

Similarly, there is no "sharing" of the ED with surgery as someone stated above. This was how it was run before EM arrived, but the ED has been run by emergency physicians for over 5 years.

Yeah, I was just there. Anesthesia defintely does not supervise trauma airways. This slide only implies they are available to help with difficult airways, which I never actually saw happen. Just want to make sure the info out there is accurate.

Similarly, there is no "sharing" of the ED with surgery as someone stated above. This was how it was run before EM arrived, but the ED has been run by emergency physicians for over 5 years.

I assume they've made changes then, since that document is a couple years old (there is also a peer reviewed article published by Dr. Grabinsky and others from 2014 that explicitly stated anesthesia presence for trauma). Good to know this has changed.

I assume they've made changes then, since that document is a couple years old (there is also a peer reviewed article published by Dr. Grabinsky and others from 2014 that explicitly stated anesthesia presence for trauma). Good to know this has changed.

Again, they come to the ED only for the highest level activations (trauma codes) only as those pts have high probability of going to the OR, but most are sick and already tubed by medics. then there's a discussion of who will do what procedures and they're divided up based on who's there (including chest tubes, lines, etc with EM & surgery) The remainder of trauma airways and all medical airways have zero anesthesia involvement.

My apologies, I was unclear in the previous post: the entire department is staffed by EM attendings, however, surgery residents split time as primary (aka "trauma doc") on the trauma side of the department. Meaning that about half the calendar year, the trauma side is run by a gen surg resident who is supervised by an EM attending. As of 12 months ago, this was how the department was staffed.
Again, they come to the ED only for the highest level activations (trauma codes) only as those pts have high probability of going to the OR, but most are sick and already tubed by medics. then there's a discussion of who will do what procedures and they're divided up based on who's there (including chest tubes, lines, etc with EM & surgery) The remainder of trauma airways and all medical airways have zero anesthesia involvement.
This is another factor that I thought weighed against the program. The joke around UW is that the indication for intubation in Seattle is a stubbed toe. The EMS system is so robust and paramedics are so aggressive, that it affects the resident experience negatively. More tubes in the field means less intubation experience in the ED for the residents.
Anecdotally, during my time in the department, anesthesia was present at every "trauma code" - the highest trauma activation - that I took part in.

Note that the above only applies to the county site, Harborview. All in all, this is not to say that the training at UW is poor, just some thoughts on the less attractive aspects of the program. The faculty are impressive, diverse in their interests, and overall solid teachers. The clinical sites offer a broad spectrum of patients and pathology. Probably the best mix of academic, county and community I saw on the interview trail.

I am a current EM resident at UW-Harborview and would like to chime in, as there has been quite a bit of incorrect and outdated information shared here.

1) Trauma Airways - The anesthesia attending is supposed to come for all "Full Trauma Codes". These are typically hemodynamically unstable patients who have a high likelihood of being crashed to the OR. Many of them have been transported by helicopter EMS from rural hospitals and are therefore already intubated. The primary purpose of anesthesia coming down is to scope out the situation and assess the patient before they get down to the OR, which makes sense for them. 95% of the time this means anesthesia walks into the resus bay, looks at the patient briefly from the foot of the bed, and walks back down to the OR to go drink some more coffee. I have only seen anesthesia intubate 2 trauma patients within the past year. One was during a hectic MCI where 3 patients needed to be emergently intubated in the same ED resus bay at the same time, so the anesthesia attending helped out by intubating a patient while the EM resident and EM attending each tubed the other two. The other anesthesia intubation was one where the senior EM resident allowed an anesthesia intern to intubate since they asked if they could do it. Our senior residents are in general very confident with airway management and have had ample opportunities for ETTs of their own, and the PGY4s are expected to supervise intubations for junior residents. The only circumstance in which an anesthesia attending directly supervises an EM resident in the ED is if we had called them for help with backup for an awake intubation or other another anticipated difficult airway. In those (rare) cases, the anesthesia attending usually just stands around as backup while the EM resident and EM attending manage the airway.

2) Other procedures - Harborview is a very busy trauma center and there is no lack of other procedures available to us. The only procedure I could imaging someone having trouble getting enough of would be chest tubes, since we don't have a formal system like some other shops where EM and Gen Surg alternate procedure days. Since as an EM resident your primary job is "Trauma Doc" (aka running the trauma code and managing the airway), Surgery does do the majority of chest tubes. That said, we have a very good relationship with the surgery residents and it is common to tell the gen surg resident that you would like to do the chest tube while the EM attending takes over for you and runs the trauma code. This happens often and there is no fighting or drama between EM and surgery for procedures. The Trama Doc role in general is excellent for getting procedures since you are often managing 15+ trauma patients at once- your role being to run the trauma codes, do procedures, and supervise 3 interns (who write all the notes leaving you with no charting!). I have had shifts where I have placed a Cordis, intubated, and done a lateral canthotomy all in one 8 hr trauma shift. The myths about Medic One paramedics placing central lines in the field are pretty much just that...myths. I've yet to see that happen.

3) Stigma & Feelings - The vast majority of the IM and Surgery attendings wanted and advocated for the creation of an EM department/residency for over a decade before it was created (when you think about it, we make their jobs much easier by not having to staff the ED). The issue was one with Dr. Copass and his own biases/egomania, rather than some sort of systemic hatred for the field of EM. Just to reiterate, Surgery does not run the "trauma side" of the ED. Rather, surgery residents rotate there as "Trauma Doc", under the direct supervision of an EM attending and often under the supervision of an EM PGY4. Compared to some well-established programs (Highland, Vanderbilt, etc.) where general surgery runs all trauma codes and the EM resident rotates under the supervision of a surgery attending, the EM-run system at UW seems preferable. Our already very good relationships with IM/Surgery/Anesthesia were demonstrated when the hospital's other departments voted unanimously this year to grant the ED departmental status. There is also no stigma in the community towards UW EM. Some of our recent grads have gotten very competitive jobs in the Seattle metro area, and others have been accepted into competitive fellowships. This is something that I was concerned about before matching here, but having talked to a few local ED directors (many of whom are actively recruiting our senior residents), I am not concerned about job prospects at all.

Other things:

Benefits - it's true that UW historically payed their residents poorly. Fortunately, last year our resident's union (the UW Housestaff Association) negotiated a new salary and benefits package with UW and I feel like we are now fairly compensated. Interns now make around $60,000 annually when you factor in some of our extra stipends, and PGY4s can expect around $70,000. Remember that WA state has no state salary tax too.

Rotations - I agree that our Ortho rotation as a PGY2 is fairly low yield. Fortunately, our program leadership has been very responsive about listening to resident feedback about rotations and making changes. They recently dropped our general surgery rotation as interns since it had abysmal reviews, and are considering changing our ortho rotation as well. We get 6+ total ICU months which is as many or more than just about any other EM rotation. In general I think our schedule is very good...not too easy but not soul-crushingly unrelenting either. We do work a lot as interns (21 shifts of 10-12 hrs in 28 days) but by the time you are a senior resident your schedule improves and is pretty cush (closer to 16-17 shifts of 8-10 hrs per 31 days, about half of which are "pre-tending" roles where you are supervising junior residents and have no note writing obligations).

General thoughts:

You will get plenty of procedures here and do not need to worry about fighting between services (any more so than you would have to deal with the run-of-the-mill dick measuring contests encountered at all teaching hospitals). That said, don't pick your residency based on where you will get the most procedures or where your department has the most relative prestige compared to others. I agree above with the "geography and gestalt" advice. For UW, the geography is undoubtedly great and the gestalt part for me was largely the faculty (very young, approachable, and geographically diverse) and residents (outgoing, outdoorsy, and good at drinking beer), who make working here a ton of fun.

In general, the training you get at UW is excellent. As mentioned above, the mix of County/Academic/Peds/Community is really great and having been here now I couldn't imagine training in an environment without that diversity...working in any of the above settings gets old after awhile and each setting has different challenges to offer. The EM program here has become insanely competitive in a short period of time and I would be shocked if UW is not an EM powerhouse residency in a short period of time.

Last edited:
@lumpsucker Thanks for your previous comments above, which are super helpful. I loved U of Washington’s EM program on interview day, but struggling with a few questions when trying to make my rank list. Wondering if any home students or PGY-1s could comment.

1. What’s the experience like at UWs ED? I understand you spend 5ish months there and the volume is only 28K. What’s the acuity like? Do you value your experience there? Do you guys get procedures there?

2. I heard a lot about turf wars with Ortho (not being able to do taps or reductions), gas, and plastics, etc. on the interview trail. How have those turf wars played out?

3. How is the critical care learning experience for residents with all the other learners (fellows, etc)?

4. Has the rep of EM within Harborview progressed now that the program is almost a decade old? Wondering anything has changed i.e. major protocols in the ED?

5. What is the on shift teaching and didactic experiences like?

6. Do you feel like the flight experience is worth it?

I really liked UWs young faculty and critical care focus and could use some more info.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

University of Washington: 4 year program. Rotate at high volume high acuity academic and county hospitals with some community sites. Emphasis on substance use, CCM, US, and EMS. Lots of time and focus on career/professional development. Trauma I believe is split by procedures, but “trauma doc” role you run all traumas and teach a lot. Very strong ICU experience, CCM track available. Also tracks in population health, ultrasound, etc.. Good ultrasound experience, especially with track, they are doing TEEs! Longitudinal PEM. Weak orthopedics experience due to strong ortho surgery program, get most reductions on ortho rotations; surprisingly more reductions by EM done at academic hospital. EMS and air care experiences are good. Lots of Social EM and community outreach opportunities. Every Wednesday they go on a boat outing in the Summer. Great outdoors opportunities. Moonlight as PGY2.

Can you knock it off with the spamming?
A lot of information on these programs out-dated. I used these threads a lot to help me over the years and especially for interview season. It's not really spam if I'm putting in my up to date information about the program for future applicants

A lot of information on these programs out-dated. I used these threads a lot to help me over the years and especially for interview season. It's not really spam if I'm putting in my up to date information about the program for future applicants

One a day is enough, bro.

• Dislike
Eh, they're doing a good thing.

I agree it's imposing visually, but I don't feel strongly about discouraging their commitment to updating these review threads.

The "disruption" will pass soon enough as other posts trickle in.
Putting up the exact same post in 10+ threads, because it applies to one part, is spamming.

Putting up the exact same post in 10+ threads, because it applies to one part, is spamming.
I've not gone through each specific thread, but it appears each is a unique program review.

I feel like our "bad actors" are the ones we can find posting the same exact thing across multiple SDN forums, not so much those adding relevant information to old threads (albeit, 20 in one forum within a few minutes of each other ...).

No argument that it's a bit confronting, but I can look past it. Just my feels.

The first series was the exact same post, with a blurb about each program, put on every individual program thread. That is the problem.
That was an issue and @southerndoc and I addressed it with OP.
Posting program reviews is obviously ok. Posting a list of 20 different program reviews in each program is not. OP was notified of this and has corrected it.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s with the emphasis on TEEs? Is that a thing now? I suspect this’ll be something you never do in the community. I can’t say I know any community docs doing them.

Why would you be doing (or want to be doing) TEEs as an ER doc?

I guess if you’re wanting to cardiovert more people.

They’re time consuming and annoying to do.

Most of these academic programs are sub-par and don't teach you how to actually practice in the community seeing 2-3 pph and dealing with metrics and patient satisfaction which is what a chunk of your income is unfortunately tied to. Too many consulting teams that reduce autonomy and experience. I would choose an established 3 year community program. The 4th year these days is a 400-600k mistake. The few months of getting a hard on in med school from matching at a program affiliated with a prestigious university are forgotten when you leave residency and no one cares about your program and just expects you to move the meat.

I might disagree with this...residency and the first 1-2 years out is the peak of your knowledge. I would rather have someone train at an intense academic institution (or any other) where they see a diverse set of pathology than what we deal with in the community. It's easy to go backwards and see less complicated things...but it's much harder to harken back on knowledge you got from residency when you never got it in the first place.

I'm not throwing shade at all. There is no real point, in residency, dealing with the chronic drunks, the stupid, nervous syncopes and chest pains, the painless vaginal bleeding in the first trimester, and all the ridiculous psych and pediatric well fever and the other nonsense we see that frankly PA's can probably manage just fine. You make your bucks with the really sick patients patients and if you went to an institution where all you did was see crazy sick people, you'll be a better doc in the long run.

You can pick up speed, but people really don't pick up the knowledge you get later in life - like what you get in residency.

Last edited:
The first series was the exact same post, with a blurb about each program, put on every individual program thread. That is the problem.

It's OK man. Just marked "rewiewed all" at the top and you won't have to see stuff. We used to have more people post regularly about programs but we just dont get it much anymore. Beats all the ranting posts.

Too many consulting teams that reduce autonomy and experience.

FWIW, it's reasonable to argue the vast majority of ED visits are on rails once you establish your practice style – the ones that keep you awake are precisely the ones with the deranged physiology and complicated substrate for whom you might glean something by exposure to those consulting experts.

You might end up working at Outside Hospital, but Joe C. Microdeletion doesn't always rock up to University Towers with their acute issues.

It's OK man. Just marked "rewiewed all" at the top and you won't have to see stuff. We used to have more people post regularly about programs but we just dont get it much anymore. Beats all the ranting posts.
That I did, but, had to go through a few to see what was up!