University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1t9 members: Do you know of any person who got in after their second try? How is an 83% PCAT composite?
I know 2 people who got in after their second try, 83% pcat composite is around what I got on mine.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year student (1T9), and although I agree a 85+ score composite is desirable, a lot of the grades represented on sdn are the higher scores, personally I know many students with composite scores in the low 80s that still got in without being wait listed. Although they never disclose the weight of the MMI, it seems to be a determining factor between getting an offer or not. Honestly though, they should probably weigh the MMI less because academic performance is pretty important in my opinion.

I was thinking about this as well; I automatically assume that the majority people who come here are dedicated and care for their career and thus will try harder (so higher grades).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm currently a first year student at UofT in the Life Sciences Program. I'm very intrigued in pharmacy as a career but my main concern is how good do you have to be at chemistry in order to succeed at pharmacy school? Also, can any fellow UofT students recommend a major that they did which required all the prerequisites for pharmacy school?
There is very very minimal chemistry in pharmacy, you don't have to major in it at all, just having a general background from life science program should suffice.

Majority of them were ethical and common social issues (elderly abuse or Aboriginal ppl health care issues).

If you don't mind me asking, would you say that the questions regarding the Aboriginal healthcare issues required you to have prior knowledge on the subject? Or could you manage the discussion going off just your personal ethical reasoning w/ minimal/no background knowledge on the issue?

If you don't mind me asking, would you say that the questions regarding the Aboriginal healthcare issues required you to have prior knowledge on the subject? Or could you manage the discussion going off just your personal ethical reasoning w/ minimal/no background knowledge on the issue?
I would say you need a little bit background knowledge (know what Aboriginal healthcare is). But practice with your ethical reasoning is more important cuz you never know what they are going to ask.

Is it normal to be accepted at UofT with a sub-80 GPA/average? It seems that low-mid 80s is the norm here on SDN, but I was wondering whether students with high PCATs and lower GPA (77-79%) are commonly accepted? I understand the MMI matters a lot but I'm curious whether this is possible.

Is it normal to be accepted at UofT with a sub-80 GPA/average? It seems that low-mid 80s is the norm here on SDN, but I was wondering whether students with high PCATs and lower GPA (77-79%) are commonly accepted? I understand the MMI matters a lot but I'm curious whether this is possible.
I know a guy who got in last year with 76% average and 80ish PCAT.

My composite score is a 62... I don't have much chances of getting in even though my interview goes well?

My composite score is a 62... I don't have much chances of getting in even though my interview goes well?

If your cGPA is very good and if you absolutely nail the interview, i think there is still a good chance you can get in

Anyone know the breakdown for the post-interview selection? Do they consider GPA, pcat, and MMI or just the MMI? What percentages?

Anyone know the breakdown for the post-interview selection? Do they consider GPA, pcat, and MMI or just the MMI? What percentages?
Honestly no one knows the breakdown cuz the office keeps it as a secret. From what I heard, I GUESS MMI is at least 50% of your application. Hope it helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y'all! Just curious, how many interview spots are there? And how many applicants per interview section?
If 85% of applicants met the PCAT cutoff, and we assume there were ~750 applicant, does that men there will be ~640 applicants interviewing for the 240 spots (assuming just about everyone who applied met the GPA cutoff)?
If that's true there seems that's a lot of competition for the 240 spots in the PharmD program.

From the interview procedures they posted, there seems to six interview sessions for the April interview spots alone:
  • Saturday, Session A
  • Saturday, Session B
  • Saturday, Session C
  • Saturday, Session D
  • Sunday Session B
  • Sunday, Session C
So can we expect ~100 applicants per "session"?

Hi y'all! Just curious, how many interview spots are there? And how many applicants per interview section?
If 85% of applicants met the PCAT cutoff, and we assume there were ~750 applicant, does that men there will be ~640 applicants interviewing for the 240 spots (assuming just about everyone who applied met the GPA cutoff)?
If that's true there seems that's a lot of competition for the 240 spots in the PharmD program.

From the interview procedures they posted, there seems to six interview sessions for the April interview spots alone:
  • Saturday, Session A
  • Saturday, Session B
  • Saturday, Session C
  • Saturday, Session D
  • Sunday Session B
  • Sunday, Session C

I believe there was around 40 applicants per session last year and a 1/2 chance of getting accepted. My guess would be that there was approximately 500 applicants interviewed, but this number varies between years.

Reactions: 1 user

• Saturday, Session A
  • Saturday, Session B
  • Saturday, Session C
  • Saturday, Session D
  • Sunday Session B
  • Sunday, Session C

Don't forget there's also a session in early May, not just the sat/sun in early April.

First of all, congrats and good luck to everyone else here who landed an interview!
I'm curious if they care about individual course marks when making final decisions. For example if you had a 70 in one course and 90 in another would that be equivalent to getting an 80 in both courses or would they prefer the more "balanced" scenario?
tldr; will one bad mark affect the application a lot?

Last edited:
First of all, congrats and good luck to everyone else here who landed an interview!
I'm curious if they care about individual course marks when making final decisions. For example if you had a 70 in one course and 90 in another would that be equivalent to getting an 80 in both courses or would they prefer the more "balanced" scenario?

Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that applicants are 'flagged' in the decisions process if they happen to have very disappointing marks within science courses (especially chem). Therefore, this may possibly lower their preference towards such applicants.

Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that applicants are 'flagged' in the decisions process if they happen to have very disappointing marks within science courses (especially chem). Therefore, this may possibly lower their preference towards such applicants.
Thanks for reply. Would you happen to know what defines a "disappointing mark" (eg. low/mid 60s, low/mid 70s)?

Thanks for reply. Would you happen to know what defines a "disappointing mark" (eg. low/mid 60s, low/mid 70s)?[/QUOTE

I would assume that they would be close to failure marks. eg. anything within the D+ -> D- range.

I think bad marks in 1 or 2 courses wont affect your application very much as long as you are doing good in other courses. (FYI: Info from the admission office)

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there are any mock mmi sessions in Toronto that I could attend?
Is attending mock mmi's something that everyone does?
I got an email for a mmi preparation but the prices are so high, some above $1000, and they're made for medical school mmi preparation

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there are any mock mmi sessions in Toronto that I could attend?
Is attending mock mmi's something that everyone does?
I got an email for a mmi preparation but the prices are so high, some above $1000, and they're made for medical school mmi preparation

Hello, UofT did have a few mock MMI practice events earlier in February and March. Unfortunately, I believe the last one available was March 2nd. I did notice that they had additional resources posted under the event, so maybe have a look at these options:

ONLINE RESOURCES
Career Centre website: Interviews | Student Life
-Short video on types of interviews
- downloadable PDF with information about what to expect and practice questions

University of Toronto Library: University of Toronto Libraries |
- Doing right : a practical guide to ethics for medical trainees and physicians /Philip C. Hébert
- How to succeed at the medical interview [electronic resource] / Chris Smith, Darryl Meeking.

IN-PERSON
If you would like to book at 1:1 appointment to for a practice interview, you may do so through calling 416.978.8000.

Hello, UofT did have a few mock MMI practice events earlier in February and March. Unfortunately, I believe the last one available was March 2nd. I did notice that they had additional resources posted under the event, so maybe have a look at these options:

ONLINE RESOURCES
Career Centre website: Interviews | Student Life

-Short video on types of interviews
- downloadable PDF with information about what to expect and practice questions

University of Toronto Library: University of Toronto Libraries |
- Doing right : a practical guide to ethics for medical trainees and physicians /Philip C. Hébert
- How to succeed at the medical interview [electronic resource] / Chris Smith, Darryl Meeking.

IN-PERSON
If you would like to book at 1:1 appointment to for a practice interview, you may do so through calling 416.978.8000.
thank you for that information :)

Anyone whose interview is in May, wanna practice at U of T St. George?

Last edited:
Interview just over a week away, how are ya'll preparing for this?

Just to make sure, we don't have to do anything to confirm that we are attending the interviews, right?

I read parts of the book "doing right" and some online practice mmi questions.... I don't feel ready at all yet

Have you found doing right to be helpful? There are no copies in my local library and wasn't sure if it would be worth the $75 on amazon.

I read doing right and I honestly think it was a waste of time. How many questions in the mmi are going to pertain to situations where we are physicians? I'm not feeling ready at all either as I'm not sure how to prepare and don't have friends applying so that I can practice prompts with

I read doing right and I honestly think it was a waste of time. How many questions in the mmi are going to pertain to situations where we are physicians? I'm not feeling ready at all either as I'm not sure how to prepare and don't have friends applying so that I can practice prompts with

This is the problem even with most of the online MMI practice questions. Most of them are directed toward med schools mmi interview

Hello,

For those looking for MMI prompts to practice with, I was able to find this document online that had questions of similar style to last year's interviews: Big List of MMI Questions.pdf

I would say that the first 4 sections are more relevant, but the others can be helpful also. I know that most practice questions are directed more towards med school interviews, but going through them is a good way to practice how to communicate your ideas in a clear and efficient way. Best of luck to all!

Hello,

For those looking for MMI prompts to practice with, I was able to find this document online that had questions of similar style to last year's interviews: Big List of MMI Questions.pdf

I would say that the first 4 sections are more relevant, but the others can be helpful also. I know that most practice questions are directed more towards med school interviews, but going through them is a good way to practice how to communicate your ideas in a clear and efficient way. Best of luck to all!

you're incredible! thank you so so much for this.

Hello,

This is really awesome! Thanks for this. But, I'm really unsure of how to spend 6 minutes responding to prompts like: " The daughter of the interviewer is 16 years old. She is adamant that she have a tattoo next week. The interviewer is against letting her daughter have a tattoo an this is causing much friction in the household. What advice would you give the interviewer?" I brainstormed for a solid 5 minutes and only came up with 3 minutes of materia. Are we allowed to leave early if we're done or do you just keep rambling?

This is really awesome! Thanks for this. But, I'm really unsure of how to spend 6 minutes responding to prompts like: " The daughter of the interviewer is 16 years old. She is adamant that she have a tattoo next week. The interviewer is against letting her daughter have a tattoo an this is causing much friction in the household. What advice would you give the interviewer?" I brainstormed for a solid 5 minutes and only came up with 3 minutes of materia. Are we allowed to leave early if we're done or do you just keep rambling?
They are not expecting you to talk for full 6 mins. After you finish talking, they will ask you a few follow-up questions until you are told to go to other stations.

They are not expecting you to talk for full 6 mins. After you finish talking, they will ask you a few follow-up questions until you are told to go to other stations.

Even if you still have time remaining after the follow-up questions, don't worry! There are a lot of people that finish early at stations. Though, you will need to stay in the room until the signal to change stations.

Last edited:
How much do you guys think having 7/8 of my semesters in undergrad as a full course load (5 courses) makes up for a somewhat lackluster cGPA of a B+?

My interview is this Saturday and I'm freaking out about it. I can't stop thinking about it throughout the day lol. I just don't know how to prepare.

Last edited:
For the discussion type stations, if there is a bit of time left, do they always ask follow up questions, or just sometimes?

How much do you guys think having 7/8 of my semesters in undergrad as a full course load (5 courses) makes up for a somewhat lackluster cGPA of a B+?

Also my interview is this Saturday and I'm freaking out about it. I can't stop thinking about it throughout the day lol. I just don't know how to prepare.
For the discussion type stations, if there is a bit of time left, do they always ask follow up questions, or just sometimes?
Last year when I had my interview, I got asked in every station except the acting and collaboration stations.

My interview is this Saturday and I'm freaking out about it. I can't stop thinking about it throughout the day lol. I just don't know how to prepare.

Same! What have you done to prepare?

Same! What have you done to prepare?

Not enough :( I've just been doing practice MMI questions and reading up on anything regarding ethics in healthcare. I realized you can't change the type of person you are or how you carry yourself in a matter of weeks so all you can do at this point is brush up on relevant topics and just relax. Having said that, that's a lot easier said than done because I'm still freaking out lol. How have you been preparing?

Not enough :( I've just been doing practice MMI questions and reading up on anything regarding ethics in healthcare. I realized you can't change the type of person you are or how you carry yourself in a matter of weeks so all you can do at this point is brush up on relevant topics and just relax. Having said that, that's a lot easier said than done because I'm still freaking out lol. How have you been preparing?

I think the best thing you're doing to prepare is relaxing! Practice being confident and managing your anxiety the best you can :)

I am so nervous. I do not feel ready at all and my interview is this weekend.
I don't know how to prepare for this...

9AM crew checking in - best of luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! :clap:

Last edited: