University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad.

waitlist movement?
A couple of people on here have posted that they were choosing a different school and I know of a friend that was accepted at UIW last week off the waitlist but is also going to a different school. I have not seen any one post about being accepted on here in a week or so or if anyone has gotten those spots yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted off of the waitlist this morning! I interviewed 3/17.
MCAT: 509 GPA:3.7

I know people were asking about whether or not those who were accepted off the waitlist received the email about the masters program. I did not receive the email. Not sure if that means anything.
Best of luck to everyone still waiting for news! Hang in there! There seems to be a lot of movement lately

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off waitlist last Wednesday. 509 MCAT, 3.5 gpa. Interviewed mid January.

I also did not receive a email about the masters program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
It seems they sent the email about the masters program to the people on the bottom of the wait list :'(

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't panic about the email just yet. Honestly, it doesn't hurt to just call and ask if the email was intended for those who are less likely to receive acceptance this year. I know it might be tricky since they can't give away much information about waitlist ranking, but it's worth a shot. You'll never know unless you ask!

I gotta say... We premeds are pretty keen about picking up on things like the Masters email
. I applaud you guys.

I removed myself from the waitlist yesterday. Good luck to you all.

Hope there will be lots of movement now since it's after May 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone shed some light on the number of currently accepted students or waitlist size and background/drug testing?

Can anyone shed some light on the number of currently accepted students or waitlist size and background/drug testing?
So right now, the bigger class page has 133 people (a few staff are included so 130ish students). I have no clue about waitlist size. And sorry but are you asking about the process for the background/drug testing?

So right now, the bigger class page has 133 people (a few staff are included so 130ish students). I have no clue about waitlist size. And sorry but are you asking about the process for the background/drug testing?

Yes, I am and thank you for the info!

I have talked to admissions and they said since they're a new school, they are not implementing any procedures for students who hold more than one or more acceptances at other medical colleges. Can someone confirm this for me?

Yes, I am and thank you for the info!

So after you accept, they send you a packet and some emails telling you how to register for a website that handles both. For the background test, you enter your info (SSN, birthday, etc) to request a background check and then they go off and do it. For the drug test, you print out a paper and take it to a lab(they let you know which labs you can go to) and you just pee in the cup. The lab handles sending the results back to the school.

So after you accept, they send you a packet and some emails telling you how to register for a website that handles both. For the background test, you enter your info (SSN, birthday, etc) to request a background check and then they go off and do it. For the drug test, you print out a paper and take it to a lab(they let you know which labs you can go to) and you just pee in the cup. The lab handles sending the results back to the school.

Great! Thanks again. Is any of what they request time-sensitive or is there a deadline of sorts?

First time posting here. I received the e-mail a couple of months ago and applied to the MBS program. I was accepted to the MBS program this morning via e-mail. I'm still undecided though. Waiting to hear from others schools... What are your thoughts on this program?

Last edited:
Great! Thanks again. Is any of what they request time-sensitive or is there a deadline of sorts?

No problem! So there is a deadline but it is pretty relaxed for the background and drug test. I'm including the link to the Incoming Students page because it includes a checklist of the things they want you to do and when they want them done by: Incoming Students

Are they taking 150 people? Does this mean they have 20 spots left? I wish they would give us more information

Are they taking 150 people? Does this mean they have 20 spots left? I wish they would give us more information

Yes 150 people. Not to be negative, but it's also possible that some accepted people don't have FB so they wouldn't be counted
emoji52.png

There is also a student created uiwsom page that some students are on, but are not on the main one. I think the class is pretty full.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Just got accepted to UT Houston and withdrew my spot at UIWSOM. Hopefully it goes to one of yall!

(Yes this was after the June 1st date so the TMDSAS traffic laws regarding June 1st do not apply to UIWSOM)

Just got accepted to UT Houston and withdrew my spot at UIWSOM. Hopefully it goes to one of yall!

(Yes this was after the June 1st date so the TMDSAS traffic laws regarding June 1st do not apply to UIWSOM)
Do you mind sharing your stats??

Another spot open for waitlist peeps! Withdrew on the 28th

I got an email today saying welcome to UIW and provided me with a student email address. I was accepted to their masters of biomed science about 2 weeks ago but removed myself from the program immediately because I was accepted into the Med Sci program at UNT which started the same day I got the acceptance from UIW. I am wondering did anyone else get this same email? I am still on the waitlist for the DO program but am curious if they have not completely removed me from the masters program.

I got an email today saying welcome to UIW and provided me with a student email address. I was accepted to their masters of biomed science about 2 weeks ago but removed myself from the program immediately because I was accepted into the Med Sci program at UNT which started the same day I got the acceptance from UIW. I am wondering did anyone else get this same email? I am still on the waitlist for the DO program but am curious if they have not completely removed me from the masters program.
I did as well, also declined offer for the masters.

EDIT: I just received my confirmation of declining from Ms. Fowler.

Last edited:
wow seems like a lot of people are choosing different schools over this place.

wow seems like a lot of people are choosing different schools over this place.
It's a brand new program. Ideally, if someone were to get into two different schools, they'd take the more established program.

Accepted off the waitlist 6/7. Withdrew from a more established school, I firmly believe San Antonio (and Texas) will provide more opportunities for research and for residency. I sent a letter of intent about 2 weeks ago to improve my chances--- I believe it made a difference. Good luck to everyone out there. I know I've checked this thread a million times so if you are still waitlisted don't give up hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off the waitlist 6/7. Withdrew from RVUCOM-SU. Even though RVUCOM may be a more established school, I firmly believe San Antonio (and Texas) will provide more opportunities for research and for residency. I sent a letter of intent about 2 weeks ago to improve my chances--- I believe it made a difference. Good luck to everyone out there. I know I've checked this thread a million times so if you are still waitlisted don't give up hope.
Stats?

Stats are low. 499 MCAT. GPA 3.4 Lots of research. Non traditional student. I applied to about 30 schools very late and received 6 interviews. I was accepted to 3 medical schools. Miracles do happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
no movement huh? :( There's only 131 members on the FB group page with 3 of them being admins!

Stats are low. 499 MCAT. GPA 3.4 Lots of research. Non traditional student. I applied to about 30 schools very late and received 6 interviews. I was accepted to 3 medical schools. Miracles do happen.
Doubt it was a miracle! I'm sure your research was very impressive. People don't just get into medical school on a whim.

Will be giving up my seat. I expect great things from this school. Best of luck to everyone.

It seems they had problems with the interviewing process. When I interviewed in January, that weekend, they interviewed 150 people. I believe they did the same thing the following weekend.
So, I'm sure they've had problems trying to decide who to admit

It seems they had problems with the interviewing process. When I interviewed in January, that weekend, they interviewed 150 people. I believe they did the same thing the following weekend.
So, I'm sure they've had problems trying to decide who to admit

The wait list must be so long if they are interviewed that many people per weekend.

I wish I would get off the wait list, this is my top choice medical school but my chances are slim. Not sure if I can handle another year of application and stress.

I wish I would get off the wait list, this is my top choice medical school but my chances are slim. Not sure if I can handle another year of application and stress.
Yeah, the people they are pulling off the wait list have great stats.

Just got my acceptance email/phone call off the waitlist. Don't give up hope yet.