University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone who interviewed here hear how much of their class is full so far or when they are finished with interviews?

Did anyone else here interview on March 17th? I was in the second group that day. I wonder if that was the only interview day this month. I'm anxious to hear back. Hoping for at least a waitlist spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else here interview on March 17th? I was in the second group that day. I wonder if that was the only interview day this month. I'm anxious to hear back. Hoping for at least a waitlist spot.
I did! I feel like I should be waitlisted or accepted from my gut feeling after the interview. I'm so anxious to find out! I think it was the only interview day but I'm not sure. I'm guessing they may have one more in April if their class isn't full yet.

I did! I feel like I should be waitlisted or accepted from my gut feeling after the interview. I'm so anxious to find out! I think it was the only interview day but I'm not sure. I'm guessing they may have one more in April if their class isn't full yet.
I felt pretty good about my interview too. Who knows what they were looking for but I am hopeful. I remember feeling reluctant to leave because they did not say lunch was over. I didn't know if the dean and other professors and faculty there wanted us to chat with them but there were also a lot of other students sitting with them. I ended up chatting with one of the admissions assistants but left shortly after I ate. 1 week of waiting down,... 2 more to go.

I felt pretty good about my interview too. Who knows what they were looking for but I am hopeful. I remember feeling reluctant to leave because they did not say lunch was over. I didn't know if the dean and other professors and faculty there wanted us to chat with them but there were also a lot of other students sitting with them. I ended up chatting with one of the admissions assistants but left shortly after I ate. 1 week of waiting down,... 2 more to go.
Oh no worries. I was in the exact same boat. I ended up chatting with the applicants and really enjoyed getting to know them. I was concerned that I didn't ask the faculty members questions about themselves when I had extra time during the MMIs. If I sit and think about everything I could have done better I'll just drive myself crazy. These interview formats seem to be so hit and miss, and sometimes when people expect to do well they still don't get accepted, so I'm slightly nervous. Anyway, I've seen on this thread that people have heard back as early as 12 days after interviewing, so fingers crossed and maybe we'll hear something next week!

Reactions: 1 user
Is was per my request. I was waitlisted back in November and wanted to see what I could do to possibly get off the waitlist.
So did they suggest anything helpful ? And have you been accepted since?

So did they suggest anything helpful ? And have you been accepted since?
Nope, still on the waitlist. Idk exactly how many people are accepted but they did say they have an avg stats for the accepted students of a 3.58GPA and a 504 MCAT. Pretty competitive for a 1st year med school.

And no, they just said to keep improving and told me to retake my MCAT. Also to possibly apply to their MBS program.

Nope, still on the waitlist. Idk exactly how many people are accepted but they did say they have an avg stats for the accepted students of a 3.58GPA and a 504 MCAT. Pretty competitive for a 1st year med school.

And no, they just said to keep improving and told me to retake my MCAT. Also to possibly apply to their MBS program.

been waitlisted since early November. Not surprising. This is Texas after all!

I have been waitlisted since early February. Nothing here either.

Apparently everyone is wait-listed here. Only two options, you're either accepted or wait-listed -___-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is some kind of "second-look" day to visit the school for accepted students?

Interview 2/11. Accepted 3/4.

@KangarooMD I'm pretty sure you can schedule a tour with one of the faculty there! I've heard a few people who got accepted have done it. The campus is still under construction though until mid may.

Accepted off the waitlist just now by phone call! II: 1/11 Acceptance: 4/5

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist just now by phone call! II: 1/11 Acceptance: 4/5
Congrats! Mind sharing stats? Did you send updates/letters of intent/interest or any extra info?

Waitlisted!
Interviewed 3/17 and just checked my portal.

Congrats! Mind sharing stats? Did you send updates/letters of intent/interest or any extra info?
3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.6 gGPA, 510 MCAT. I did not send any sort of letters or anything else after receiving the waitlist letter.

3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.6 gGPA, 510 MCAT. I did not send any sort of letters or anything else after receiving the waitlist letter.

Amazing MCAT! I'm hoping to be up next or something haha.

Amazing MCAT! I'm hoping to be up next or something haha.
Hopefully so! The lady did say that their servers are down so they are not sending emails right now. So they are making all the calls individually.

I just checked and I was waitlisted as well. Interviewed the same day. I'm just concerned because it seems soooo many people are waitlisted, so I have know idea what our chances are.

I just checked and I was waitlisted as well. Interviewed the same day. I'm just concerned because it seems soooo many people are waitlisted, so I have know idea what our chances are.
Have you heard of any applicant from our interview day that was accepted? I have kept up with a few and they were waitlisted as well.

Last edited:
Have you heard of any applicant from our interview day that was accepted? I have kept up with a few and they were waitlisted as well.
I haven't heard of anything. Were you waitlisted as well? I just wish I knew more about this whole waitlisting process. Like I said before, it feels like so many people were waitlisted. I have no idea how many spots are left or what the waitlist ranking is. It's kinda frustrating :/

I haven't heard of anything. Were you waitlisted as well? I just wish I knew more about this whole waitlisting process. Like I said before, it feels like so many people were waitlisted. I have no idea how many spots are left or what the waitlist ranking is. It's kinda frustrating :/
Yeah, or at least I am pretty sure. I wasn't contacted in any way but I accepted the waitlist agreement on the portal. I agree some official numbers would be nice as well as what we can expect moving forward.

I would take this with a grain of salt. I counted the number of people on this thread who said they were waitlisted. There were 30 that I counted, 2 reported declining, and 4 were accepted off the waitlist. That leaves 24 people including myself plus or minus the others that aren't on the forum, haven't shared their status or whatever reason. Potentially much more than 24. I really hope there is some movement. This was my second application cycle, first interview and closest I have gotten to getting into med school. It seems that they are calling to accept people off the waitlist the same day that others are receiving waitlist offers. So if there is another interview day this month, maybe some more will get accepted off the waitlist around 3 weeks from then. Fingers crossed and good luck to all!

Waitlisted - Interviewed 3/17. received email this morning.

Does anyone know more information for accepted students? Calendar, class schedule, etc. I haven't committed yet, but I'd like to know some more info.

Does anyone know more information for accepted students? Calendar, class schedule, etc. I haven't committed yet, but I'd like to know some more info.

I'm not sure if you were looking for something newer but they did post a general class schedule and updated the curriculum map with how many weeks everything will last online: Curriculum (2 links under "Curriculum" heading)

I'm not sure if you were looking for something newer but they did post a general class schedule and updated the curriculum map with how many weeks everything will last online: Curriculum (2 links under "Curriculum" heading)
Great thanks, is there a FB group of some sort for admitted students?

Anyone receive an email about the MBS program ?

Great thanks, is there a FB group of some sort for admitted students?
Yes there are currently two, one run by the school and one run by the students. Just search UIWSOM Class of 2021 on FB and they should both come up.

So apparently those who were waitlisted are guaranteed admission into their MBS program. At least what the email I received stated.

What email was this? Could you paste the content?

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine. At this time, there has been little movement of students off our existing waitlist to the DO program. Because you remain a competitive applicant for medical school, we invite you to consider enrolling in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program beginning August 14th, 2017. The MBS Program is an innovative one-year program designed to enhance scientific knowledge and professional preparation for students seeking to attend medical school or other health professions training. The MBS Program will help to strengthen academic credentials to ensure success as students pursue advanced degrees. Students in the UIW MBS program receive special consideration for admission to the DO program.

Should you decide to apply to the MBS program….

· The UIW graduate application and MBS supplemental application will need to be completed by April 17th, 2017.

· The $50 supplemental fee will be waived.

· The letters of recommendation included in your AACOMAS application will be used to complete your MBS application.

· You will not need to go through an additional application and interview process.

· You are guaranteed admission to the MBS program.

· You will remain on the DO waitlist. Demonstrated interest in the MBS program will not impact placement on the waitlist. Should you be offered a position in the DO program, your application to the graduate program will be cancelled.

· You must submit final official transcripts from all institutions attended to the UIW Admissions Office.
What email was this? Could you paste the content?

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine. At this time, there has been little movement of students off our existing waitlist to the DO program. Because you remain a competitive applicant for medical school, we invite you to consider enrolling in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program beginning August 14th, 2017. The MBS Program is an innovative one-year program designed to enhance scientific knowledge and professional preparation for students seeking to attend medical school or other health professions training. The MBS Program will help to strengthen academic credentials to ensure success as students pursue advanced degrees. Students in the UIW MBS program receive special consideration for admission to the DO program.

Should you decide to apply to the MBS program….

· The UIW graduate application and MBS supplemental application will need to be completed by April 17th, 2017.

· The $50 supplemental fee will be waived.

· The letters of recommendation included in your AACOMAS application will be used to complete your MBS application.

· You will not need to go through an additional application and interview process.

· You are guaranteed admission to the MBS program.

· You will remain on the DO waitlist. Demonstrated interest in the MBS program will not impact placement on the waitlist. Should you be offered a position in the DO program, your application to the graduate program will be cancelled.

· You must submit final official transcripts from all institutions attended to the UIW Admissions Office.

May I ask your stats? I am waitlisted but I haven't received this email.

Last edited:
I did not receive the email either. I am on the waitlist, but I also applied to the MS program in December

I did not receive the email either. I am on the waitlist, but I also applied to the MS program in December

I exchanged emails with one of the staff and she said that it was only offered to a select few.

For the people that been accepted to this medical school, could you tell me what your average stats were as far as GPA and MCAT? Also, was this the only school you were accepted to or did you decline other offers? Lastly, did you apply for MD schools and weren't accepted anywhere else?... I'm trying to make the tough decision of whether or not to accept my recent offer to attend here or if I reapply next year once I'm done with my masters program, (I have a really high MCAT score, but a low undergraduate GPA that kind of sunk my boat!)

For the people that been accepted to this medical school, could you tell me what your average stats were as far as GPA and MCAT? Also, was this the only school you were accepted to or did you decline other offers? Lastly, did you apply for MD schools and weren't accepted anywhere else?... I'm trying to make the tough decision of whether or not to accept my recent offer to attend here or if I reapply next year once I'm done with my masters program, (I have a really high MCAT score, but a low undergraduate GPA that kind of sunk my boat!)
Take it man. I would not ever wish for someone to have to go through the whole process again. Besides, reapplying does not come with a guarantee you will be accepted again.
I have a 3.3 cumulative and science GPA, 3.6 graduate GPA and 510 MCAT.
I have been accepted to 5 DO programs and am currently waiting to hear from 3 MD interviews.