University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which school is your upcoming deposit for?

UNECOM. It's between that and UIW if I get in. Two very different parts of the country. Family and friends in both places.

Members don't see this ad.

UNECOM. It's between that and UIW if I get in. Two very different parts of the country. Family and friends in both places.

That's a tough one, hopefully you hear something back soon... I would definitely prefer the warm winters and inexpensive housing.

That's a tough one, hopefully you hear something back soon... I would definitely prefer the warm winters and inexpensive housing.

Exactly. Especially since the curriculum is identical. Longitudinal anatomy. All integrated.
So we will see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, if I get accepted to UIW, I would trade you for your UNECOM seat, lol.

UNE was my top DO school and they rejected me like 3 days after I submitted my primary because my physics II class wouldn't be done until this spring. I have lived in central Texas for 5 years and got my BS here but I'm from New England and would have liked to move back where all my family is. *shrugs*

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, if I get accepted to UIW, I would trade you for your UNECOM seat, lol.

UNE was my top DO school and they rejected me like 3 days after I submitted my primary because my physics II class wouldn't be done until this spring. I have lived in central Texas for 5 years and got my BS here but I'm from New England and would have liked to move back where all my family is. *shrugs*

Man, if only it worked like that. I think people would be so happy with the application process. But ya, I feel ya. All of my Dad's side of the family live in New England, most of them in Portland and Bath. I have family in Dallas too, so it'll be a tough decision I think.

Man, if only it worked like that. I think people would be so happy with the application process. But ya, I feel ya. All of my Dad's side of the family live in New England, most of them in Portland and Bath. I have family in Dallas too, so it'll be a tough decision I think.
isn't UNECOM in Portland? Even though its the same state San Antonio to Dallas is still a 5-6 hour drive. I have family in McAllen, and its like 7 hours away, even though we live in the same state only see them a couple times per year.

isn't UNECOM in Portland? Even though its the same state San Antonio to Dallas is still a 5-6 hour drive. I have family in McAllen, and its like 7 hours away, even though we live in the same state only see them a couple times per year.
It is just outside of Portland! My best friends live in Dallas too, so I imagine I would still spend some time up there.

It is just outside of Portland! My best friends live in Dallas too, so I imagine I would still spend some time up there.
Oh cool, maybe they will built that Texas triangle bullet train system in the next four years. Of course they will start building that and finish the 7 year I-35 rebuild project just as I leave!

Texas-Triangle-High-Speed-Rail.jpg

Oh cool, maybe they will built that Texas triangle bullet train system in the next four years. Of course they will start building that and finish the 7 year I-35 rebuild project just as I leave!

Or maybe not,

II just now, 2/10 only date available.

Complete 1/19, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 509, IS, nonTrad, 3 years clinical experience.

Or maybe not,

Complete 1/19, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 509, IS, nonTrad, 3 years clinical experience.

Why did you apply so late? Your scores look good, do you have any other offers?

Or maybe not,

same.. interview invite today for the same date.. MCAT 512, sGPA 3.8 cGPA 3.7 ED scribe experience.. applied early last year and was waitlisted for an interview in september

it says it could be just an interview for the waitlist or a spot for next years class.. will go cause I live very close by but not thrilled about the chances of acceptance.. also not sure if I even want to go here.. been accepted to a few other DO schools... what are the positives of this school? being so new worries me as I would like to specialize in Pathology

Why did you apply so late? Your scores look good, do you have any other offers?

Application wasn't even close to ready for the TX common app deadline, so didn't really have TX on my radar for schools. Was looking more North/northeast. But only had one II by the new year (DMU), so I went through the schools I didn't apply to again and applied to UIW, and another school.

Now I have IIs at UIW, NYIT-AR, Touro-CA, and was rejected at DMU post interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do y'all think is better a pass/fail grading system or traditional scoring?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do y'all think is better a pass/fail grading system or traditional scoring?

I'm all about pass/fail because it facilitates more collaborative learning and a less cutthroat environment.

I'm all about pass/fail because it facilitates more collaborative learning and a less cutthroat environment.

If you were to pick between UIW and BCOM, what would you do? I liked BCOM better ( I think), but UIW is a Texas school and it's a pass/fail system unlike BCOM.

UIW >>> BCOM. I think many students underestimate the importance of resources at hand. San Antonio is filled with hospitals, all of which UIW has agreements with. BCOM on the other hand doesn't, because New Mexico in general and Las Cruces is such a smaller state and city so there are less resources for students at hand.

Reactions: 4 users
If you were to pick between UIW and BCOM, what would you do? I liked BCOM better ( I think), but UIW is a Texas school and it's a pass/fail system unlike BCOM.

I know nothing about BCOM, but it is so true that the resources in San Antonio will really make UIW a great school. I really think in a few years it will be considered a high caliber school.

UIW >>> BCOM. I think many students underestimate the importance of resources at hand. San Antonio is filled with hospitals, all of which UIW has agreements with. BCOM on the other hand doesn't, because New Mexico in general and Las Cruces is such a smaller state and city so there are less resources for students at hand.
Yup. This is why I chose UIW over ARCOM.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! Just wondering if the other II emails had the bolded part about how you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist or deferral spot or if mine just had that little tid bit because its getting late in the cycle. kind of ominous and not really what I want to hear lol

I got my interview invite on 12/21 for 1/14 and the email didn't have the bolded section about interviewing for a waitlist or deferral spot. Hope this helps better approximate when they started that.

So according to http://www.lmtonline.com/lmtenespanol/article/Medical-school-to-open-10836448.php, there are only 50 seats left? 0_0 I shouldn't have postponed my interview date then.........Well, I hope to hear good news soon. Has anyone who interviewed on 1/13 heard back?
I would take that number with a grain of salt.

1) The 2/1 TX match hasn't occurred yet. Once people that were accepted at UIW get accepted into their preferred (most likely) Allopathic programs, the # of seats should significantly increase.

2) UIWSOM is still a brand new school. They will have a LOT of movement come waitlist season. People will be getting into their preferred Osteopathic programs, and will most likely withdraw from UIW, opening a good amount of seats for people on the WL.

Stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who interviewed on the 13th and 14th, we still have another week yet to hear back from them. I'm not sure what you were told but they told the group on the 14th that we would know in 3 weeks via email.

For those of you who interviewed on the 13th and 14th, we still have another week yet to hear back from them. I'm not sure what you were told but they told the group on the 14th that we would know in 3 weeks via email.

Yes, but all of the previous interview dates that I have read on here have heard well within that 3 week timeframe.

Yes, but all of the previous interview dates that I have read on here have heard well within that 3 week timeframe.

I think some of the quicker turnarounds in November and December were probably attributed to the holidays. I called the office on Thursday to see if they knew a specific date they'd be giving us an answer and they stated that the 13th/14th had the most applicants to date interview and so it was a possibility we'd find out right at the three week mark.
This wait is killing me.

Just wanted to add that I interviewed on 10/21 and didn't receive an email until 11/11 (exactly 3 weeks)

Good luck to everyone waiting for a decision!!

I'm not sure if y'all are allowed to comment on this.. but wondering for the MMI if y'all think basic knowledge of current healthcare topics is enough to answer the prompts?

I'm not sure if y'all are allowed to comment on this.. but wondering for the MMI if y'all think basic knowledge of current healthcare topics is enough to answer the prompts?

From my experience, you don't necessarily need much prior knowledge before the MMIs. Though I'd certainly read up on what the MMIs are like, what kinds of questions they may ask, and current healthcare topics/trends.

For this particular Interview, no amount of specific prep would have helped me (information wise). That's not to say things like general interviewing tips aren't useful (Kevin Ahern's vids were very helpful).
From my experience, you don't necessarily need much prior knowledge before the MMIs. Though I'd certainly read up on what the MMIs are like, what kinds of questions they may ask, and current healthcare topics/trends.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Good luck to those waiting on match results today!

Good luck to those waiting on match results today!
I'm guessing we will be seeing some more II's in the next week or so because of it. I don't think UIW understands how many people they are probably going to lose because of the match.

Just called and they said they're running behind so we should expect something by Monday :(

Waitlisted -_- Interviewed 1/14
I'm assuming this has probably been asked, but any idea of how many are on the waitlist? For those that got off the waitlist already, how long was it before they contacted you?

Last edited:
I just received an email and I interviewed on 01/13. Waitlisted. =(
Does anybody know if the waitlist is ranked or first come first serve? In the email it said that will not let any rankings on the waitlist be release. So i'm assuming it's ranked...

I just received an email and I interviewed on 01/13. Waitlisted. =(
Does anybody know if the waitlist is ranked or first come first serve? In the email it said that will not let any rankings on the waitlist be release. So i'm assuming it's ranked...

+3

Looks like they only sent out wait list emails today.

It seems they are wait listing a lot of people and not rejecting them lol.

I haven't heard anything yet and interviewed on 1/14. But I know someone who interviewed with me who got a waitlist email.

I don't think they only sent waitlist emails today, wouldn't there have been more people posting about their results? Perhaps, it was just the first batch they got to. I realize that not everyone uses SDN but I was chatting with the security guard the night before the interview and he told me that there were 150 people being interviewed just between 1/13 and 1/14. With only 6 people reporting being waitlisted that seems like too few to be all the waitlisted people.

I've been wait listed since the end of December. I hope I get good news soon since it is after Texas match day.

Reactions: 1 users