MA/MS University of the Cumberlands PhD Counselor Education and Supervision CACREP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoughts regarding the programs?

• Favorable

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Unfavorable

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

GeorgeRamosJr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I am currently applying to the University of the Cumberlands PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. http://gradweb.ucumberlands.edu/education/edd/ces

This is an on-line program, hear me out.
This program is CACREP accredited, and despite what the website says, I called CACREP and it turns out the program is accredited for 8 years. http://www.cacrep.org/program/counselor-education-and-supervision/

Currently there are 5 online accredited programs. 2 of which are for-profit schools (Capella and Walden) The other 3 schools are (Regent, Oregon State University and the University of the Cumberlands).
http://www.cacrep.org/directory/?state=&dl[]=D&pt_id=&pc[]=80&pc_logic=any&keywords=&submitthis=

This program is just as accredited as the other PhD program but much cheaper.

Additionally, while the school isn't widely know, it is CACREP accredited and many schools seeking that accreditation for their MA programs need PhD with this specific degree and accredited by this body.

I called CACREP and the program checks out. I live in New York, there are no schools in New York City that offer the PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision.

The facility are legit PhD's for various colleges:
http://gradweb.ucumberlands.edu/psychology/mapc/faculty

The program handbook seems comprehensive and the alumni and current students seem very helpful.
http://www.ucumberlands.edu/downloads/academics/catalogs/graduate/CES2015-16.pdf

Here is the goal.

I want to complete this program to teach at a college. Perhaps do some writing as well.

Reasons:
  • Not many CES PhD''s are local due to schools not offering the degree locally.
  • Schools may be interested in me if I do complete this degree as it satisfy the requirements for programs seeks CACREP accreditation.
  • The program is nearly half of the price as other programs with similar credentials.

I'd like some of your thoughts regarding this program and what do you think it?
What do you think of my rationale?

I know online programs tend to have bad reps but this is connected to a brick and mortar school and is a non-profit University. I look forward to all comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Philosophically, I think clinical psychologists should be in charge of the training and education of Licensed Counselors. We have solid training and education and skills that makes us adept in this role. I have supervised and worked with numerous LPCs and they appreciate my expertise as a clinical psychologist. For that reason, I would vote for you to become a psychologist. Nevertheless, the career path you are pursuing could still work out or it could lead to additional frustration when you realize you are still competing with psychologists and potentially being limited by not being one.

Philosophically, I think clinical psychologists should be in charge of the training and education of Licensed Counselors. We have solid training and education and skills that makes us adept in this role. I have supervised and worked with numerous LPCs and they appreciate my expertise as a clinical psychologist. For that reason, I would vote for you to become a psychologist. Nevertheless, the career path you are pursuing could still work out or it could lead to additional frustration when you realize you are still competing with psychologists and potentially being limited by not being one.

You make some good points. However, for many LPC programs they will need a PhD in Counselor Ed and Sup to have their programs accredited. I believe each school needs atleast 2. Those are slots Psychologist simply can't compete in. While schools may have Psychologist on staff as profs they can't help with the growing CACREP accreditation.

I agree with respect to the training Psychologist have and how it is very clinical. Many of my profs in my LPC program were psychologist and were very helpful.

However, we had some LCSW and Counselor Ed profs who were just as good and knowledgeable.

Since I am a LPC in New York, pursing a PhD in Psychology would be great if I were interested in testing. I'm unsure it would expend the scope of my practice. Addrionally, I see PhD level clinicals do not earn substantially more per client as per the panels of health insurance providers I have applied.

I appreciate you perspective and I do value the points you have made. But I do see that a CES PhD could have a specific marketing advantage did to the rigid requirements of CACREP.

My old grad program just passed on a hiring a psychologist as they needed to pursue an additional CED PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
You make some good points. However, for many LPC programs they will need a PhD in Counselor Ed and Sup to have their programs accredited. I believe each school needs atleast 2. Those are slots Psychologist simply can't compete in. While schools may have Psychologist on staff as profs they can't help with the growing CACREP accreditation.

I agree with respect to the training Psychologist have and how it is very clinical. Many of my profs in my LPC program were psychologist and were very helpful.

However, we had some LCSW and Counselor Ed profs who were just as good and knowledgeable.

Since I am a LPC in New York, pursing a PhD in Psychology would be great if I were interested in testing. I'm unsure it would expend the scope of my practice. Addrionally, I see PhD level clinicals do not earn substantially more per client as per the panels of health insurance providers I have applied.

I appreciate you perspective and I do value the points you have made. But I do see that a CES PhD could have a specific marketing advantage did to the rigid requirements of CACREP.

My old grad program just passed on a hiring a psychologist as they needed to pursue an additional CED PhD.

Hi GeorgeRamosJr,
I'd like to start off by replying to smalltownpsych's comment on who should be training licensed counselors. Counselors should be trained by COUNSELOR EDUCATORS primarily. This is not to discredit the expertise of clinical psychologists but to respect the distinction of training and understand the professional identity of the professional counselor. Thanks to CACREP, counseling programs are now required to have Counselor Education & Supervision PhDs teaching their master's level students.
Receiving a PhD in Counselor Education & Supervision would make you very marketable to become faculty for such programs. These are positions that you can NOT hold as a clinical psychologist and we all know the struggle of landing a job in academia.
As far as online programs---hmmm.. I personally haven't researched or heard of this program but in general, as you know, online programs are not the most respected- or at least this is the stereotype. There are many CACREP CES FUNDED programs that you can apply to outside of the NY area.
BTW, this looks like an EdD program not PhD, if that makes any difference for you.
Best of luck as you move forward!!!
-Current PhD Student in Counselor Education & Supervision

Hello Road to PhD , lots of good stuff in your post. This program had an Ed and PhD track. I think you made some great points!

Hi GeorgeRamosJr,
I'd like to start off by replying to smalltownpsych's comment on who should be training licensed counselors. Counselors should be trained by COUNSELOR EDUCATORS primarily. This is not to discredit the expertise of clinical psychologists but to respect the distinction of training and understand the professional identity of the professional counselor. Thanks to CACREP, counseling programs are now required to have Counselor Education & Supervision PhDs teaching their master's level students.
Receiving a PhD in Counselor Education & Supervision would make you very marketable to become faculty for such programs. These are positions that you can NOT hold as a clinical psychologist and we all know the struggle of landing a job in academia.
As far as online programs---hmmm.. I personally haven't researched or heard of this program but in general, as you know, online programs are not the most respected- or at least this is the stereotype. There are many CACREP CES FUNDED programs that you can apply to outside of the NY area.
BTW, this looks like an EdD program not PhD, if that makes any difference for you.
Best of luck as you move forward!!!
-Current PhD Student in Counselor Education & Supervision

CACREP Accreditation is both a process and condition. Institutional accreditation application CACREP means loyalty program excellence. Accreditation process involves self-assessment programs "along with the external examination to determine whether and how the program standards met. Accredited status indicates the general public that the program performs its high quality standards of education.

In 2016 CACREP standards were written to simplify and clarify the requirements for accreditation. Deliberate efforts were made to avoid overlapping and confusing language. The lack of multiple links to any specific content area should not discount the importance of any of these areas of content. At a minimum, applications should be sent all necessary maintenance, but they can choose the level of emphasis on each content area.

In 2016 CACREP standards were written to promote a single counseling profession. The requirements are designed to ensure that students graduated from university with a strong professional identity consultant and opportunities for specialization in one or more areas. The standards require that graduates demonstrate both knowledge and skills in the curriculum, and professional dispositions.

Although standards in 2016 CACREP distinction between the requirements for accreditation, they do not dictate how the program can choose according to standards. an innovative program offered to satisfy the intention and spirit of the 2016 standards CACREP. Program faculty and analysts should understand that an educational consultant can satisfy accreditation requirements in various forms. Providing evidence of compliance or exceeding standards is the responsibility of the program.

CACREP graduates of accredited programs are prepared for a career in mental health services, education, private practice, government, military, business and industry. Graduates of the program are prepared entry-level practitioners counseling, as well as for appropriate credentials (eg, permits, certifications) in the specialty area. Doctoral graduates are prepared to consultant level education, supervision and practice.

Since 2016 CACREP standards are organized into six sections. Section 1 learning environment includes rules relating to establishment, training unit and program faculty and staff. Section 2 Professional counseling identification includes basic standards and curriculum counseling, which includes eight main areas required content. Chapter 3, professional practice, refers to the standards required for entry-level practice, workshops, internships, training supervisor and workshop and training course loads. Section 4 rating in Program sets standards that are relevant to the assessment of the program, student assessment and evaluation of teachers and managers of the site. Chapter 5, entry-level professional field, sets standards relating to the proposed area of specialization program. They include bad habits; career; clinical mental health; Clinical rehabilitation; College Counseling and Student Affairs; marriage, couple, and family; and advise the school. For each area of specialty, standards relating to foundations, context and practice sizes available. Chapter 6 contains standards for doctoral Counselor Education and Supervision, including learning environment, professional identity and workshops and doctoral level training requirements. In addition, by 2016 standards, a glossary defining key terms in 2016 CACREP standards document available.

Good evening all,

I am currently applying to the University of the Cumberlands PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. http://gradweb.ucumberlands.edu/education/edd/ces

This program is CACREP accredited, and despite what the website says, I called CACREP and it turns out the program is accredited for 8 years. http://www.cacrep.org/program/counselor-education-and-supervision/

Currently there are 5 online accredited programs. 2 of which are for-profit schools (Capella and Walden) The other 3 schools are (Regent, Oregon State University and the University of the Cumberlands).
http://www.cacrep.org/directory/?state=&dl[]=D&pt_id=&pc[]=80&pc_logic=any&keywords=&submitthis=

Additionally, while the school isn't widely know, it is CACREP accredited and many schools seeking that accreditation for their MA programs need PhD with this specific degree and accredited by this body.

I called CACREP and the program checks out. I live in New York, there are no schools in New York City that offer the PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision.

http://gradweb.ucumberlands.edu/psychology/mapc/faculty

The program handbook seems comprehensive and the alumni and current students seem very helpful.
http://www.ucumberlands.edu/downloads/academics/catalogs/graduate/CES2015-16.pdf

Here is the goal.

I want to complete this program to teach at a college. Perhaps do some writing as well.

Reasons:
  • Schools may be interested in me if I do complete this degree as it satisfy the requirements for programs seeks CACREP accreditation.
  • The program is nearly half of the price as other programs with similar credentials.

I know online programs tend to have bad reps but this is connected to a brick and mortar school and is a non-profit University. I look forward to all comments!

I recently applied and was accepted into this program George. I work for the government and I wanted to be able to continue working full time and obtain my degree. The closest brick and mortar school to me is about 3 hours away. Ultimately the flexibility that comes with an on-line program, the CACREP accreditation, as well as the cost of the tuition is what ultimately helped me make my decision. I'm curious to know what you decided to do?

Did you ever enter the program?
I recently applied and was accepted into this program George. I work for the government and I wanted to be able to continue working full time and obtain my degree. The closest brick and mortar school to me is about 3 hours away. Ultimately the flexibility that comes with an on-line program, the CACREP accreditation, as well as the cost of the tuition is what ultimately helped me make my decision. I'm curious to know what you decided to do?
ever

Good evening all,

I am currently applying to the University of the Cumberlands PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. Ph.D. Counselor Education & Supervision | University of the Cumberlands

This program is CACREP accredited, and despite what the website says, I called CACREP and it turns out the program is accredited for 8 years. Counselor Education and Supervision | CACREP

Master of Arts in Counseling - Faculty - University of the Cumberlands

Here is the goal.

Reasons:

Hi GeorgeRamosJr,

I've come across this program, and have gained similar interest. Did you ultimately apply/attend the program? If so, what are your thoughts about your experience, thus far?

I appreciate any feedback you can share.

Thank you!

Hi GeorgeRamosJr,

I've come across this program, and have gained similar interest. Did you ultimately apply/attend the program? If so, what are your thoughts about your experience, thus far?

I appreciate any feedback you can share.

Thank you!
I am in the program and love it so far! Feel free to message me for more info.