University of Sydney MD 2018 acceptances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigchau

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone got an acceptance email yet? feel free to post it in this to be megathread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I just got an email offer! International student from Singapore here :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got acceptances to USyd's MD and DMD programs!

Reactions: 1 users
Canadian here - I also got my acceptance into the DMD program! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted into USyd MD program for 2018!

Also, I know this is off-topic but there's no active Melbourne thread so I'll just ask my question here. Did Melbourne add you as a Skype contact days prior to the interview like Sydney did or did they do it the day of?

Thanks guys

Also, I know this is off-topic but there's no active Melbourne thread so I'll just ask my question here. Did Melbourne add you as a Skype contact days prior to the interview like Sydney did or did they do it the day of?

Thanks guys

They added me on the 29th at 3:30pm AEST and my interview is on the 30th at 9:05am AEST. So they'll add you the day before (in their time).

I got an offer for MD and DMD for Sydney! I'll probably be accepting my dentistry offer.

We should totally start a WhatsApp group!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they add you to Skype last night? Interviewing on the 31st but received no contact on the 30th...

So a few hours before the interview they emailed me to let me know that they had added me on Skype. They said if you didn't receive a request, to email them and they would let you know their ID so you can add them.

So a few hours before the interview they emailed me to let me know that they had added me on Skype. They said if you didn't receive a request, to email them and they would let you know their ID so you can add them.

yes same here... how did you guys find the actual interviews? I felt it was a bit intense... and time was very limited to explore topics and questions asked. did you guys had faced the interviewers really didnt give you any sort of facial expressjon feedback or showed lack of interest in your responses? hahaha maybe I am over thinking it anyways.

Also anyone knows the stats post interview at Melb for internationals? Thank u

yes same here... how did you guys find the actual interviews? I felt it was a bit intense... and time was very limited to explore topics and questions asked. did you guys had faced the interviewers really didnt give you any sort of facial expressjon feedback or showed lack of interest in your responses? hahaha maybe I am over thinking it anyways.

Also anyone knows the stats post interview at Melb for internationals? Thank u

I think they're supposed to try to maintain a neutral expression.

Not sure about percentages, but I believe they have 45 dedicated spots for international students.

It sucks they don't let us know until October, especially since school starts pretty soon after that.

I think they're supposed to try to maintain a neutral expression.

Not sure about percentages, but I believe they have 45 dedicated spots for international students.

It sucks they don't let us know until October, especially since school starts pretty soon after that.

okay well thats good i guess, its just with all my other interviews It seemed that I got some sort of nodes, smiles etc... yup... anyways it is done and we just have to wait now.
On their website it says they have up to 89 (int+domestic full fee paying (although i dont think many Aussies do those spots...) spots but I am assuming a good portion would be their 'onshore' int. Are you applying from US or CAN?
I also agree, it would have been awesome if they would release the decision abit sooner.

Last edited:
congrats to those accepted and good luck to the waitlisted folks, just curious what are your respective preferences between Melbourne and Sydney and why?

Speaking from the Sydney side as a current student here, we get 2 years of pre-clinical learning, than 2 years of rotations. There is also some flexible arrangements in place for international students, with upto 20 weeks of possible international rotation time if you choose (on average most intl looking to go back to NA do an average of 12-16 weeks).

There is also some competitive pre-arrangement setup with NA unis already for rotations (ie. UofT, McMaster in Canada. Cornell, Georgetown in US).

As far as I'm aware, my UMelb colleagues only get 1 year of pre-clinial studies (hence their pre-req requirements). Which isn't a big deal if you're staying in Aus obviously, but it gives you a bit less time to manage your USMLE Step 1 Study in the first 2 years. They also get less time for electives in the senior years, I don't exactly remember how much, but significantly less. Perhaps only 1 rotation away (4 weeks). Don't quote me on that part though, perhaps a current student from UMelb can enlighten that area.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my acceptance for DMD as well! Is there a group or thread for DMD class of 2022 or starting in 2018??

I got an offer for MD and DMD for Sydney! I'll probably be accepting my dentistry offer.

We should totally start a WhatsApp group!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I'd love a whatsapp group!

Just found this thread but I got into the DMD program at USyd, can't wait to meet you all! :) I'd also be down for a Whatsapp group. Do you guys know if there is a FB group or anything? If not I wouldn't mind making one

Got my acceptance letter for Syd MD on Sept 1st but I deferred it from last year so that might be why I got mine quick.

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances! I am currently waitlisted. Just wondering if those accepted wouldn't mind sharing their MCAT scores just so I may see where I fall within the spectrum? Thanks!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances! I am currently waitlisted. Just wondering if those accepted wouldn't mind sharing their MCAT scores just so I may see where I fall within the spectrum? Thanks!
I am waitlisted too. My MCAT score is 508 and an applicant from other thread said that he/she got a 507. Would you mind sharing your score?

I am waitlisted too. My MCAT score is 508 and an applicant from other thread said that he/she got a 507. Would you mind sharing your score?

Just chiming in the conversation too. My MCAT score is 515. MCAT score and Interview score are weighted equally to generate final score for ranking as I have asked USyd admission.

Just chiming in the conversation too. My MCAT score is 515. MCAT score and Interview score are weighted equally to generate final score for ranking as I have asked USyd admission.

My score was 506 and apjc, did you get accepted or on the waitlist as well? I'm guessing you got accepted with that great MCAT score!

My score was 506 and apjc, did you get accepted or on the waitlist as well? I'm guessing you got accepted with that great MCAT score!

Hey FutureDoctor0009. Unfortunately I was waitlisted as well. I think my interview was not as strong which dragged my overall ranking down since MCAT score and interview are weighted equally.

My MCAT was 508 as well but I have a PhD and I think I did well on the interview so I might be an outlier.

Has anyone looked into housing yet? I'm thinking Abercrombie might be easiest for the first year, but I'm worried it will be full of partying undergrads. Has anyone heard anything about what living in rez is like?

Got my acceptance letter for Syd MD on Sept 1st but I deferred it from last year so that might be why I got mine quick.

Same here! Is there a Facebook group for the MD class that has been setup yet?

anyone know whats up with that deferral email?

did they accidentally accept/ give offers to too many international students, or did too many international students accept their offer beyond their expectations? Not sure what they mean by the program being oversubscribed either

anyone know whats up with that deferral email?

did they accidentally accept/ give offers to too many international students, or did too many international students accept their offer beyond their expectations? Not sure what they mean by the program being oversubscribed either

I think too many international students accepted their offers from the first round of offers that went out. So they're trying to give some people the option to defer for a year.

I think too many international students accepted their offers from the first round of offers that went out. So they're trying to give some people the option to defer for a year.

so they are asking for deferrals to accommodate the second round offers? what happens if no one defers then?

Then there won't be any second round offers. If they sent that email, then they are likely oversubscribed by 1st round offers, so any subsequent offers are unlikely. You might get a deferral acceptance for next year however, this happened in the cohort before me.

Not the first time either. I got a deferral request email 2 years ago....I took them up on that offer.

Jumping in.. Griffith also over-accepted, I think? The class got full before everyone they had accepted had a lapse date. Maybe application numbers are up this year.

My MCAT was 508 as well but I have a PhD and I think I did well on the interview so I might be an outlier.

Hello and congratulations to those who got accepted into University of Sydney! That is my target school and I'm applying for the 2019 round. I'm just curious to know whether some degrees give international students an advantage over other degrees? For example, what BlueJays mentioned above, would a PhD be more advantageous over a bachelor degree in science? I have a degree in BSc in Pharmacy and I'm wondering if this may help me in the application.

@93bluejays- if you don't mind sharing, were you accepted with your MCAT, interview score and PhD background?

What are people doing for accommodation? As an international student, I don't think I'll have time to come to Sydney early enough to look for apartments so I was thinking of applying for on campus housing, Sydney University Village and Unilodge on Broadway. Does anyone have any info, good or bad, about these places?

What are people doing for accommodation? As an international student, I don't think I'll have time to come to Sydney early enough to look for apartments so I was thinking of applying for on campus housing, Sydney University Village and Unilodge on Broadway. Does anyone have any info, good or bad, about these places?

Bump. Ill probably be in uni housing th first year for the same reason, anyone know if registration for dorms are up yet?

The Unilodge on Broadway is olddd. I don't recommend it.

Iglu @ Central Park is relatively new, and easy access around town as it's right by Central Station. Most of the Uni/Iglu/etc. housing is pretty...sub-par IMO. The only advantage they give you is obviously ease of transition. No need to set up anything, and everything is ready. But the rooms are small, sometimes filthy and expensive for what you are getting.

I recommend you get a very short-term accommodation for ~two weeks before school starts if you're coming in early via Airbnb or Gumtree if you got someone on the ground in Aus. Or if you aren't coming in early it's fine too. Then when you get here you can look yourself and get a shared flat around campus. Then you can see for yourself where you'd like to live and get the most bang for your buck (For estimates, you can get a private room with shared bathroom for ~250-300/week around campus pretty easily, including bills, cheap obviously if you are more far out).

Agreed with @DoctorS84

Despite the fact I'm in Brisbane and not Sydney my advice is similar. Do not get university or university affiliated housing. Students who copped out with that route here at UQ in Iglu and unilodge accommodations ended up spending way way too much money on subpar accommodation that preys on international students like yourselves who can't be bothered setting up housing when they get here and want it all done for them and inclusive of all bills etc.

Those places are overrun with undergrads. Get a proper adult, big boy apartment in the city through a broker used website like realestate.com.au or through gumtree. You're a postgraduate student now.

Like Doctors84 said, set up temporary accommodation like an airbnb (or even a hostel) for when you get here, then check out neighborhoods and see what you like and don't like, commutes, etc. You'll be stressed enough academically, the last thing you want is being stuck in subpar accommodation/lease that you regret. Spend the time getting yourself set up properly. It does not take long AT ALL to find an apartment in Australia. My only other advice is try and get a 6 month lease, they are fairly common in Australia (at least in Brissy), and by the end of your first semester you'll know the city better and know exactly where you want to be living at without being stuck the entire year.

"@medanon19 - if you don't mind sharing, were you accepted with your MCAT, interview score and PhD background?"

I don't know the breakdown of percentages that each criteria makes up, but yes I was accepted based on those. Good Luck

I am planning to get an apartment near the Uni but close to public transport line that will take me to the clinical hospital I am assigned to....once we find that out.

Speaking from the Sydney side as a current student here, we get 2 years of pre-clinical learning, than 2 years of rotations. There is also some flexible arrangements in place for international students, with upto 20 weeks of possible international rotation time if you choose (on average most intl looking to go back to NA do an average of 12-16 weeks).

There is also some competitive pre-arrangement setup with NA unis already for rotations (ie. UofT, McMaster in Canada. Cornell, Georgetown in US).

As far as I'm aware, my UMelb colleagues only get 1 year of pre-clinial studies (hence their pre-req requirements). Which isn't a big deal if you're staying in Aus obviously, but it gives you a bit less time to manage your USMLE Step 1 Study in the first 2 years. They also get less time for electives in the senior years, I don't exactly remember how much, but significantly less. Perhaps only 1 rotation away (4 weeks). Don't quote me on that part though, perhaps a current student from UMelb can enlighten that area.

Hello! Could you kindly shed some light on picking between the different clinical hospitals besides distance? Such as maybe which are known for certain specialties (and if that's even relevant before your internship) or if a further hospital with smaller student sizes really affects your learning. Thank you!

Hello and congratulations to those who got accepted into University of Sydney! That is my target school and I'm applying for the 2019 round. I'm just curious to know whether some degrees give international students an advantage over other degrees? For example, what BlueJays mentioned above, would a PhD be more advantageous over a bachelor degree in science? I have a degree in BSc in Pharmacy and I'm wondering if this may help me in the application.

@93bluejays- if you don't mind sharing, were you accepted with your MCAT, interview score and PhD background?

I got in with a BSc Pharm if that helps!

I'm based in Nepean, and love it. Like marble30 said, it is a bit far if you are near campus but it takes just as much time going to RNSH from campus if you're taking public transit. You'll also have to do some rotations in more off-sites like Hornsby and Mona Vale as mentioned.

Yea, no one has anything bad to say with their clinical school, so just pick the one that appeals to you the most. Central by far has the most students, so you'll probably have 6-7 students/tutor group there. Also you'll probably get a resident or registrar most of the time teaching while at Nepean we all have consultants as tutors starting from 1st year.

Agreed with @DoctorS84

Despite the fact I'm in Brisbane and not Sydney my advice is similar. Do not get university or university affiliated housing. Students who copped out with that route here at UQ in Iglu and unilodge accommodations ended up spending way way too much money on subpar accommodation that preys on international students like yourselves who can't be bothered setting up housing when they get here and want it all done for them and inclusive of all bills etc.

Those places are overrun with undergrads. Get a proper adult, big boy apartment in the city through a broker used website like realestate.com.au or through gumtree. You're a postgraduate student now.

Like Doctors84 said, set up temporary accommodation like an airbnb (or even a hostel) for when you get here, then check out neighborhoods and see what you like and don't like, commutes, etc. You'll be stressed enough academically, the last thing you want is being stuck in subpar accommodation/lease that you regret. Spend the time getting yourself set up properly. It does not take long AT ALL to find an apartment in Australia. My only other advice is try and get a 6 month lease, they are fairly common in Australia (at least in Brissy), and by the end of your first semester you'll know the city better and know exactly where you want to be living at without being stuck the entire year.

:/ it's pretty subjective I think.
Ideally, yes, do arrive early, pick some houses to look at. before signing a contract.

At the same time, just want to say it's okay to choose something temporary on campus.

Yes it's noisy with undergrads, but there's usually apt style (non dorm) housing available that ironically a lot of international med students use. Occasionally they're completely separate from undergrad dorms, so you're away from all the late night partying. Or there is housing that is reserved for grad students that you may have access to. So you meet other international students (or grad students in other degrees) that way. Then move out together after 6-12 months (after getting adjusted to the suburbs and surroundings and actually getting to know other people).

But yes, agree, unilodge and other for profit student housing tends to have terrible customer service and is over priced.

I just don't think there's any need to go it has to be one way or another.. over student housing.

Last edited:
can anyone confirm if we have a proficiency/foundatioonal test we have to take in the beginning of the semester?
Remember seeing it in one of the documents they sent us but can't find it somehow anymore