University of St Augustine summer 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATCtoDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just starting a thread for any one who is applying to USA for the summer of 2018 term

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I'll be applying for the summer 2018 Flex cohort at Austin. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Were you all aware that USA does not count medical terminology as part of the prereq GPA? I just learned that yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any insight into how many people typically apply for the summer cohorts compared to fall and spring?

I just went on a tour of the st. Augustine campus yesterday and found out that if you have a masters degree that you can submit that instead of a GRE score.

Also I think they gave us some info on how many apply compared but I don't have the paper work with me when I do I'll post the numbers.

I am applying for USA San Marcos DPT Summer 2018. Good Luck All!

I just went on a tour of the st. Augustine campus yesterday and found out that if you have a masters degree that you can submit that instead of a GRE score.

Also I think they gave us some info on how many apply compared but I don't have the paper work with me when I do I'll post the numbers.

Just curious, did you feel like going on a tour was beneficial in terms of making yourself known to faculty and/or advisors? I know it obviously wouldn't hurt, but wondering if I should spend the money to fly out to Austin from DC and whether or not it would give me a leg up in any way. I'm already a little concerned about my chances.

Just curious, did you feel like going on a tour was beneficial in terms of making yourself known to faculty and/or advisors? I know it obviously wouldn't hurt, but wondering if I should spend the money to fly out to Austin from DC and whether or not it would give me a leg up in any way. I'm already a little concerned about my chances.

I didn't think it added any benefit for having the faculty and folks know me. I'm local so it was easy for me to stop by. I was lead by a student first then just how to apply by an advisor afterwards. It was nice to see the campus but I wouldn't spend the money just to do that.

Any insight into how many people typically apply for the summer cohorts compared to fall and spring?

I just looked at my papers and they receive 500-1200 per admissions cycle, and they'll accept 50-70 DPT, 30-35 Flex DPT. I can only assume that summer and spring would be on the lower end 500-800, while fall would be on the higher end 800-1200.

I just looked at my papers and they receive 500-1200 per admissions cycle, and they'll accept 50-70 DPT, 30-35 Flex DPT. I can only assume that summer and spring would be on the lower end 500-800, while fall would be on the higher end 800-1200.
Thanks for checking on that. Still seems like a lot to me but that's just the reality of the game lol

I saw this post from USA on LinkedIn a couple days ago. Not sure if anything has actually changed or if they're reusing old marketing:

"CHOOSE YOUR START DATE. You talked, and we listened. We’ve added more start dates and are accepting more students."
http://apply.usa.edu/start/?utm_source=FBLinkedIn

"Accepting more students"?? Could it be true?

Last edited:
I saw this post from USA on LinkedIn a couple days ago. Not sure if anything has actually changed or if they're reusing old marketing:

"CHOOSE YOUR START DATE. You talked, and we listened. We’ve added more start dates and are accepting more students."
http://apply.usa.edu/start/?utm_source=FBLinkedIn

"Accepting more students"?? Could it be true?

I e-mailed Kim Dube about it and she replied with the following:
"I wanted to advise you this has not changed for our Flex program we have increased the number of accepted students to other programs. Flex is still 33 and our residential is still 65."

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying for USA St. Augustine campus!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if hours can be verified by a PTA or does it have to be by a PT?

Does anyone know if hours can be verified by a PTA or does it have to be by a PT?
I'm not sure but i think if a PTA were to verified it would seem like you are shadowing a PTA vs shadowing a PT. I'd contact the school with that question?

Also does any one know if we need to have both reference letters in by the application date or can we have 1 before and 1 after like we are able to with the shadowing hours?

I'm not sure but i think if a PTA were to verified it would seem like you are shadowing a PTA vs shadowing a PT. I'd contact the school with that question?

Also does any one know if we need to have both reference letters in by the application date or can we have 1 before and 1 after like we are able to with the shadowing hours?

Yeah just e-mailed them. Best case I'd still be able to shadow a PTA but get sign off from the supervising PT (maybe)?

My understanding is that it's a requirement to have both LORs in by the app date. They might deem your application incomplete and ask you to hold off until it comes in. I'm not 100% certain though.

Hello everyone-
Currently I am working as an aide and at the clinic a student from USA is completing her last internship. She told me that from
Now on (full time DPT) the anatomy classes will be online as well as a lot of other crucial classes... she told me not make USA as a top choice because of the new changes. Also she said that Manual therapy classes won't be offered anymore which sucks because the main reason why i wanted to go to USA was because of the manual therapy classes offered as part of the program.

Is anyone else aware of the new changes regarding the online anatomy classes?

From what I have heard some of classes were going online with the lectures but still having to come in for labs. I don't know if that means also the AP classes though. I haven't heard anything about the manual therapy classes.

I interviewed at USA for a fall 2017 start date, with the new curriculum (I was accepted, but chose to attend another program). We were told from admissions and from current students that almost every class is online, including anatomy, though labs are still on campus. As for manual therapy, we were told that they are changing over to a more generalized curriculum that they thought would provide a better overall experience.

I believe that all observation hours need to be verified by a PT.

The fall semester gets the most applications, from what we were told.

For anyone applying to USA St. Augustine - prepare for a very large group of people at interview day! When I interviewed they had DPT and OT students, all for the fall semester. I believe there were about 100-120 of us interviewing, but they allow you to bring a guest so it looks more intimidating than it really is. They also have more than one interview day, so you are really competing with about 200 people for 70-ish spots. They require everyone to stand in a line and get their picture taken - if you are accepted, they use this picture to make your student ID card. Everyone was very nice and welcoming during the interview day, so it was a nice experience. If anyone has any other questions regarding my experience, I am happy to chat with you!

I interviewed at USA for a fall 2017 start date, with the new curriculum (I was accepted, but chose to attend another program). We were told from admissions and from current students that almost every class is online, including anatomy, though labs are still on campus. As for manual therapy, we were told that they are changing over to a more generalized curriculum that they thought would provide a better overall experience.

I believe that all observation hours need to be verified by a PT.

The fall semester gets the most applications, from what we were told.

For anyone applying to USA St. Augustine - prepare for a very large group of people at interview day! When I interviewed they had DPT and OT students, all for the fall semester. I believe there were about 100-120 of us interviewing, but they allow you to bring a guest so it looks more intimidating than it really is. They also have more than one interview day, so you are really competing with about 200 people for 70-ish spots. They require everyone to stand in a line and get their picture taken - if you are accepted, they use this picture to make your student ID card. Everyone was very nice and welcoming during the interview day, so it was a nice experience. If anyone has any other questions regarding my experience, I am happy to chat with you!

Thanks so much for sharing this info!

I'm applying for the summer Flex cohort @ Austin, which I chose specifically because I am hoping my chances will be better due to the lesser popularity of the cohort/campus. My undergrad stats are too awful to want to share :(, however I have been an accomplished professional in the workforce for 7 years (this will be a major career change). My prereq GPA is a 3.25 and I have a GRE of 307/4.0 AW. I'll have ~100 observation hours in 4 settings. Based on what you've seen, do you think I have a decent chance of getting an interview?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing this info!

I'm applying for the summer Flex cohort @ Austin, which I chose specifically because I am hoping my chances will be better due to the lesser popularity of the cohort/campus. My undergrad stats are too awful to want to share :(, however I have been an accomplished professional in the workforce for 7 years (this will be a major career change). My prereq GPA is a 3.25 and I have a GRE of 307/4.0 AW. I'll have ~100 observation hours in 4 settings. Based on what you've seen, do you think I have a decent chance of getting an interview?

You're welcome! I can tell you that my stats weren't super awesome, either. I think my prereq GPA was a 3.26 overall, with a GRE of 302/4.0AW. I had 100 observation hours in 3 settings, and I also came from a completely different career and I am in my 30's. So, we have very similar stats! And, I actually think my interview at USA wasn't awesome and I still earned an acceptance, so keep your head up and try to stay confident! I would be surprised if you weren't at least offered an interview, as you meet the minimum requirements.

Is this your first time applying? It took my two years to earn an acceptance (I didn't apply to USA my first year). It has been a tough road but I am finally in PT school and I absolutely love it (it is really tough, of course, but that is to be expected!). I wish you all the best!

You're welcome! I can tell you that my stats weren't super awesome, either. I think my prereq GPA was a 3.26 overall, with a GRE of 302/4.0AW. I had 100 observation hours in 3 settings, and I also came from a completely different career and I am in my 30's. So, we have very similar stats! And, I actually think my interview at USA wasn't awesome and I still earned an acceptance, so keep your head up and try to stay confident! I would be surprised if you weren't at least offered an interview, as you meet the minimum requirements.

Is this your first time applying? It took my two years to earn an acceptance (I didn't apply to USA my first year). It has been a tough road but I am finally in PT school and I absolutely love it (it is really tough, of course, but that is to be expected!). I wish you all the best!

I love hearing stories from fellow second-career students - it gives me so much more hope. :)

Where in the interview do you feel like you could have done better? You must have done fine to be offered admission!

Yeah, first time applying. I'm glad you're enjoying school. What career path did you switch from?

I love hearing stories from fellow second-career students - it gives me so much more hope. :)

Where in the interview do you feel like you could have done better? You must have done fine to be offered admission!

Yeah, first time applying. I'm glad you're enjoying school. What career path did you switch from?

I hear ya'! Keeping hopeful is so important! As for the interview...I thought the faculty member interviewing me seemed disconnected to the process, and I got the vibe that she didn't want to be there. Maybe she was just having a bad day, who knows! But she said a few things that I didn't agree with situationally, so I respectfully disagreed with her, and she didn't seem to like that. BUT I got an acceptance so perhaps her tactic was purposeful, or perhaps I scored higher in other areas, who knows!

I have an arts and education background. I also did supplemental work in the fitness industry, and eventually wanted a change. PT fit what I was looking for so I took a couple of years to do prerequisite courses and here I am. What about you?

I hear ya'! Keeping hopeful is so important! As for the interview...I thought the faculty member interviewing me seemed disconnected to the process, and I got the vibe that she didn't want to be there. Maybe she was just having a bad day, who knows! But she said a few things that I didn't agree with situationally, so I respectfully disagreed with her, and she didn't seem to like that. BUT I got an acceptance so perhaps her tactic was purposeful, or perhaps I scored higher in other areas, who knows!

I have an arts and education background. I also did supplemental work in the fitness industry, and eventually wanted a change. PT fit what I was looking for so I took a couple of years to do prerequisite courses and here I am. What about you?
I currently work in IT as a consultant. The money is good and the job is secure, however, I've been finding the work so unfulfilling lately. I'm also not excited about any of the career tracks that I could choose from. I like the problem solving aspect of IT but I think I am better suited to healthcare and PT seems to entail a lot of that, working to get patients back to their old selves!

Hey all - just curious - do you know if interview dates are typically the same or different for Flex applicants?

Is anyone applying for the 2nd time at USA? How much did you improve your application? I am re-applying. Good luck to everyone

Does anyone know the max/recommended word count or page count for USA's statement of purpose? How much did you all write for yours?

Does anyone know the max/recommended word count or page count for USA's statement of purpose? How much did you all write for yours?
They recommend 800 to 1200 words, I'm still working on mine but it's closer to 900 words.

I believe that it was 1200 words I wrote just about that. My advisor told me not to go more than 50ish over.

Is anyone applying for the 2nd time at USA? How much did you improve your application? I am re-applying. Good luck to everyone

Yeah im with you here i am a second time applier as well. I diversified the number of settings that I volunteered in, and retook a ton of classes. I was thinking about retaking the GRE but I figured it was more important to work on those two aspects because my GRE was apparently in the competitive range already. I was told that GRE, GPA, and Volunteer settings are the main things to try and improve on moving forward. Figured I would try and do as much as possible since USA only allows you to apply twice so unfortunately if this turns out to be a rejection for me I wont be able to apply again. Fingers crossed it doesnt!

They recommend 800 to 1200 words, I'm still working on mine but it's closer to 900 words.
I believe that it was 1200 words I wrote just about that. My advisor told me not to go more than 50ish over.

Never2Late4Change

Curious to know if you guys think I can/should use the statement as an opportunity to explain my awful undergrad grades, even though it's old news and I graduated 7 years ago. It's just that they're THAT bad (like several Fs/Ds on my transcript and below a 2.5 gpa); I feel like it would raise a lot of questions. I don't have any concrete reasons other than I was sheltered/depressed in my adolescence and really should have taken a break before starting college and wasn't mentally prepared to put energy towards schooling. In the end I made it out strong though. I'm a non-trad applicant with a non-relevant background (IT). I took all my prereqs over the past year though and have done mostly fine in those. I've started writing my essay and my first page is comprised of a lot of "lead-up" to answering the "why PT" question (talking about my strengths and interests growing up - not yet PT-related). Basically I plan on the essay flowing like this: have always loved connecting with people -> found an affinity for technology growing up -> entered college but wasn't ready -> stuck it out anyway and came out strong -> worked in IT and had a successful career -> realized I miss developing those connections with people -> made the decision to change careers, and so on, to answering the question... Do you guys think that's too much irrelevant lead-up and I'm not getting to the point fast enough? I'm trying to make the story come back full circle if you know what I mean. Sorry for the wall of text - I'm having a little anxiety right now haha. Also, it's possible that there's a better thread to post these questions...

Last edited:
Never2Late4Change

Curious to know if you guys think I can/should use the statement as an opportunity to explain my awful undergrad grades, even though it's old news and I graduated 7 years ago. It's just that they're THAT bad (like several Fs/Ds on my transcript and below a 2.5 gpa); I feel like it would raise a lot of questions. I don't have any concrete reasons other than I was sheltered/depressed in my adolescence and really should have taken a break before starting college and wasn't mentally prepared to put energy towards schooling. In the end I made it out strong though. I'm a non-trad applicant with a non-relevant background (IT). I took all my prereqs over the past year though and have done mostly fine in those. I've started writing my essay and my first page is comprised of a lot of "lead-up" to answering the "why PT" question (talking about my strengths and interests growing up - not yet PT-related). Basically I plan on the essay flowing like this: have always loved connecting with people -> found an affinity for technology growing up -> entered college but wasn't ready -> stuck it out anyway and came out strong -> worked in IT and had a successful career -> realized I miss developing those connections with people -> made the decision to change careers, and so on, to answering the question... Do you guys think that's too much irrelevant lead-up and I'm not getting to the point fast enough? I'm trying to make the story come back full circle if you know what I mean. Sorry for the wall of text - I'm having a little anxiety right now haha. Also, it's possible that there's a better thread to post these questions...

I had an F and few D's on my transcript. But I redid those courses a few semesters later and got A's or B's in those classes. I am currently in the program. I wouldn't harp on those old grades, you would only be highlighted where you messed up. In my opinion its in the past, leave it there. Focus your essay on you.

I had an F and few D's on my transcript. But I redid those courses a few semesters later and got A's or B's in those classes. I am currently in the program. I wouldn't harp on those old grades, you would only be highlighted where you messed up. In my opinion its in the past, leave it there. Focus your essay on you.

Those Ds and Fs are from courses from my major that aren't even related to PT prereqs. I never retook them or anything. But they're on my undergrad transcript which USA looks at, and there are quite a few of them. Do you not think it's worth addressing why I had a tough freshman/sophomore year? They won't question all that?

Never2Late4Change

Your "entered college but wasn't ready" is giving a little glimpse of your past academic history, so I think that is good. I wouldn't mention specific things. If you get invited for an interview you can use it to your advantage and delve a little more into your past, if you want, and are given the opportunity. But, overall, I think that what you have is good and coming "full circle" will prove to make a nice flow for your statement!

Reactions: 1 users
Those Ds and Fs are from courses from my major that aren't even related to PT prereqs. I never retook them or anything. But they're on my undergrad transcript which USA looks at, and there are quite a few of them. Do you not think it's worth addressing why I had a tough freshman/sophomore year? They won't question all that?

Never2Late4Chang said it well ^ :D
USA looks at the trend of grades. They wanna see if you were able to bring your GPA back up and that there was a positive trend. I wouldn't spend time harping on it honestly. That's one thing that I liked about this program. They look at the applicant over all (GPA, GRE, experience/hours & letters).

Hello everyone-
Currently I am working as an aide and at the clinic a student from USA is completing her last internship. She told me that from
Now on (full time DPT) the anatomy classes will be online as well as a lot of other crucial classes... she told me not make USA as a top choice because of the new changes. Also she said that Manual therapy classes won't be offered anymore which sucks because the main reason why i wanted to go to USA was because of the manual therapy classes offered as part of the program.

Is anyone else aware of the new changes regarding the online anatomy classes?
This is not true. The majority of classes are 25-50% online and the remainder is in a lab or lecture setting. Gross Anatomy used to be taught in one semester, with reinforcement from the Biomechanics course the following semester. Now, Gross Anatomy is taught in 2 semesters (lecture in class and a lab portion) to include more information, with Biomechanics reinforcing what we are learning. They felt the information was rushed and wanted students to truly understand Anatomy since we will be musculoskeletal experts. I'm currently a student at USA: St. Augustine campus in the new curriculum.

This is not true. The majority of classes are 25-50% online and the remainder is in a lab or lecture setting. Gross Anatomy used to be taught in one semester, with reinforcement from the Biomechanics course the following semester. Now, Gross Anatomy is taught in 2 semesters (lecture in class and a lab portion) to include more information, with Biomechanics reinforcing what we are learning. They felt the information was rushed and wanted students to truly understand Anatomy since we will be musculoskeletal experts. I'm currently a student at USA: St. Augustine campus in the new curriculum.

This is comforting to hear as a prospective USA student. Is the claim about the manual therapy classes being diminished inaccurate as well?

This is comforting to hear as a prospective USA student. Is the claim about the manual therapy classes being diminished inaccurate as well?
Under the new curriculum, yes. You have an option after you graduate to become manual therapy certified if you do continuing education courses from what we have heard

i just submitted my application for review! How far is everyone along?

Still getting in hours, LORs, and writing my essay! Cutting it close! lol
Just as a heads-up; Aug. 15th is the priority deadline, so if you cut it a little too close, you'll still be okay!

Oh! I was still planning on making the deadline but I guess I never really questioned what "priority" meant. So... what does it mean?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the past they have been lenient about the deadlines because it takes time for official documents to be uploaded in the app: for example the Gre, transcripts etc. I feel like they don't really have a "priority" deadline as long as your app is submitted sometime in that month of the deadline. And then after that it's based on seats available.

How long did it take for your official GRE scores to be uploaded?

Also do you guys mind sharing your stats? Thx!

3.1 ish Cumulative, 3.65 pre req gpa 310 GRE about 2000 hours in 6 settings....second time applying so fingers crossed! how about you....super nervous currently

Hi all, currently working on my USA application for Fall 2018.
Any tips on the statement of purpose? I have tons of ideas but not really sure where to start.

Also, what were the interviews like, if you've gotten them?

Thanks so much for your help! Applying is such a crazy process :scared:

How long did it take for your official GRE scores to be uploaded?

I think it took mine a couple weeks after they became available. For some reason it doesn't tell you in their system whether or not they've been received (like it does with the transcripts) so you have to check in with your advisor.