University of St. Augustine Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"CAPTE accredits entry-level DPT programs, not its curriculum. The entry-level professional DPT program at the University of St Augustine is fully accredited by CAPTE; as such, graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the licensure exam. I was just trying to assure you that, as required, the program followed all required procedures and informed CAPTE of its intended curricular change. CAPTE did not require any follow up reports on the curriculum change."

We're good, everyone. As far as accreditation goes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
"CAPTE accredits entry-level DPT programs, not its curriculum. The entry-level professional DPT program at the University of St Augustine is fully accredited by CAPTE; as such, graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the licensure exam. I was just trying to assure you that, as required, the program followed all required procedures and informed CAPTE of its intended curricular change. CAPTE did not require any follow up reports on the curriculum change."

We're good, everyone. As far as accreditation goes.
Thank you for that info. You made quick work of that. This is what these forums are for. Keeping everyone up to date.

Thank you for that info. You made quick work of that. This is what these forums are for. Keeping everyone up to date.
Of course! I thought we would all like some peace of mind before we potentially drop $130,000 on a program that gets us nowhere haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of schools that are doing this "professional dress code" because this is a professional career. And when pt's are making health suggestions to doctors about a patient it doesn't hurt to dress well rather than be in a t-shirt and gym shorts. It's just like a child. If the kid is bad we blame the parents for not giving that child proper home training. The same goes for every PT school. If you aren't respectful or professional or know nothing about PT we blame the school. But everything you are saying is alarming. And I am just like you. I did my research on st. Augustine before I interviewed(the pros and cons.) The only thing that is alarming that is coming from your post it that their curriculum isn't accredited. But the chances of it not being accredited are slim. When a new schools pop up and they have to get accredited (with new students attending) the chances of that school not being accredited is very slim,even if it does take 1-2 years. So I'm sure that USA has learned from their past and did their appropriate research to make sure it gets accredited. Every school has it pros and cons. Many schools accreditation is coming up for review that may scare people. A school in Alabama( that I will not name) recently lost their Dean of the PT program and is now short staffed because other teachers quit. you just have to chose the lesser evil between schools.

BECAUSE THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO LIKE ~100 PEOPLE IF YOU GET EMAILS/OR FIND INFORMATION THAT CAN PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE SCREENSHOT OR UPLOAD THAT INFORMATION. Also the verbal word of the school isn't that great. They told us on interview day (when I went) that the heritage lounge served breakfast in the mornings. That is a lie, that never ever happens, now obviously not really that big of a deal but still they could theoretically make the claim that they never said that even though like 300 students know that they did.

I do agree that professionalism is important especially in the clinic and certain business functions but the problem is not the dress code, the problem is that the priorities of the school are not in a row, to put a perfectly trimmed beard above communicating to your prospective and current students about a curriculum change that adds $80,000 dollars in economic opportunity cost to yourself, not provide access to the pre-requisites and flow from class to class and not provide a safe way for students to present valid concerns about grades, practicals, and without repercussions is astounding. The main problem is not the knowledge or teaching abilities of 90% of the teachers it's that THERE IS NO SAFETY NET. If I was to suggest that a practical was unjust or unfair to another student, there is a large chance the guillotine comes down on both our heads rather than even an attempt to improve the system from an administrative standpoint. (NOW SOME TEACHERS such as Dr. Rot, Dr. Grant, Dr. Shanklin and most likely many others will if presented nicely, try and help and will always want to improve the system.) For example there are many correct ways to perform an MLT or an MMT and various techniques provide different strengths and weaknesses. Each teacher could present the technique in a slightly different way and all be correct, the problem lies with if a different teacher than who taught you said technique grades you. You could fail the practical and have to do a retake even though clinically it might be the most appropriate. (If you fight the grade you have now you'll likely be ostracized and it now becomes your word against someone with a doctorate.) An easy solution would be to have cameras set up recording the EXACT DESIRED TECHNIQUE when originally being taught, plus its a great review study guide for practicals. To make the grading even more fair would be to have AV cameras set up at each station so if a teacher says you didn't do something when you definitely did it 5+ times, you can now review the tape and prove either the student or grader wrong. PLUS it would provide additional study material to improve yourself even if you have no reason to challenge your grade. Watching yourself is one of the best ways to make improvements.

This same over-arching administration problem also applies to the professionalism/dress code. No exact mention of what exactly constitutes a trimmed beard vs not is mentioned, but I can still lose 5% of my grade (and potentially a $40,000 dollar economic cost at the whim of a teacher without clear rules) is clearly preposterous. I do not object to trimming a beard or wearing nice clothes but I could shave at 4 am go to school and study, have a late exam at 7 pm. and get docked 5% of my total grade in that class because my hair grows fast and I now have a 7 o'clock shadow.

This shows the lack of clarity and planning as well as communication on the part of the school to mitigate possible risks/STRESS for students. For those of you that don't know the school was hit by Hurricane Matthew during last fall semester (not directly but it flooded really bad) and wiping out a full week of class (that was never made up), afterwords many students were stuck with 5-15 tests within a single week. For a school located precariously close to an ocean, no plan of what to do from a hurricane or tsunami or how to regain that missed cclass time is in place. THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING YOURSELF IS WHY, WHY IS THERE NO PLAN IN PLACE, because there is little economic downside to students dropping classes and lots of economic upside for the school for students staying another semester.

Efforts are underway by current students to help improve the school and give the school chances to instill trust back in students, which you would think the school wants to prove after losing AN ENTIRE PROGRAM AND 1/3 OF YOUR STUDENTS, WHILE GETTING SUED AND LOSING (It's still ongoing with multiple cases).

*If anyone has proof the ENTIRE NEW DPT CURRICULUM has been approved by the APTA/CAPTE please share on here!!!!
**The list of new classes doesn't prove anything.
***I already know the school is accredited, however I could not for the life of me find proof of the NEW CURRICULUM BEING APPROVED. The FLEX and old curriculum are approved.
**********IF YOU FIND AN EXACT PRE-REQUISITE/ COURSE OBJECTIVE FLOW CHART FOR THE NEW CURRICULUM please share on here as well. (Not what you need to get in to USA)

Just an FYI you cannot declare bankruptcy on student loans. Thus if you were to theoretically drop $120,000 dollars on PT school then fail 1 class and get kicked out, you would be responsible for all $120,000 plus interest. Plus you really only have 1 shot at PT school if you get kicked out of a program other schools really don't generally want you because the can be PAF (picky as you know what).

BECAUSE THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO LIKE ~100 PEOPLE IF YOU GET EMAILS/OR FIND INFORMATION THAT CAN PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE SCREENSHOT OR UPLOAD THAT INFORMATION. Also the verbal word of the school isn't that great. They told us on interview day (when I went) that the heritage lounge served breakfast in the mornings. That is a lie, that never ever happens, now obviously not really that big of a deal but still they could theoretically make the claim that they never said that even though like 300 students know that they did.

I do agree that professionalism is important especially in the clinic and certain business functions but the problem is not the dress code, the problem is that the priorities of the school are not in a row, to put a perfectly trimmed beard above communicating to your prospective and current students about a curriculum change that adds $80,000 dollars in economic opportunity cost to yourself, not provide access to the pre-requisites and flow from class to class and not provide a safe way for students to present valid concerns about grades, practicals, and without repercussions is astounding. The main problem is not the knowledge or teaching abilities of 90% of the teachers it's that THERE IS NO SAFETY NET. If I was to suggest that a practical was unjust or unfair to another student, there is a large chance the guillotine comes down on both our heads rather than even an attempt to improve the system from an administrative standpoint. (NOW SOME TEACHERS such as Dr. Rot, Dr. Grant, Dr. Shanklin and most likely many others will if presented nicely, try and help and will always want to improve the system.) For example there are many correct ways to perform an MLT or an MMT and various techniques provide different strengths and weaknesses. Each teacher could present the technique in a slightly different way and all be correct, the problem lies with if a different teacher than who taught you said technique grades you. You could fail the practical and have to do a retake even though clinically it might be the most appropriate. (If you fight the grade you have now you'll likely be ostracized and it now becomes your word against someone with a doctorate.) An easy solution would be to have cameras set up recording the EXACT DESIRED TECHNIQUE when originally being taught, plus its a great review study guide for practicals. To make the grading even more fair would be to have AV cameras set up at each station so if a teacher says you didn't do something when you definitely did it 5+ times, you can now review the tape and prove either the student or grader wrong. PLUS it would provide additional study material to improve yourself even if you have no reason to challenge your grade. Watching yourself is one of the best ways to make improvements.

This same over-arching administration problem also applies to the professionalism/dress code. No exact mention of what exactly constitutes a trimmed beard vs not is mentioned, but I can still lose 5% of my grade (and potentially a $40,000 dollar economic cost at the whim of a teacher without clear rules) is clearly preposterous. I do not object to trimming a beard or wearing nice clothes but I could shave at 4 am go to school and study, have a late exam at 7 pm. and get docked 5% of my total grade in that class because my hair grows fast and I now have a 7 o'clock shadow.

This shows the lack of clarity and planning as well as communication on the part of the school to mitigate possible risks/STRESS for students. For those of you that don't know the school was hit by Hurricane Matthew during last fall semester (not directly but it flooded really bad) and wiping out a full week of class (that was never made up), afterwords many students were stuck with 5-15 tests within a single week. For a school located precariously close to an ocean, no plan of what to do from a hurricane or tsunami or how to regain that missed cclass time is in place. THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING YOURSELF IS WHY, WHY IS THERE NO PLAN IN PLACE, because there is little economic downside to students dropping classes and lots of economic upside for the school for students staying another semester.

Efforts are underway by current students to help improve the school and give the school chances to instill trust back in students, which you would think the school wants to prove after losing AN ENTIRE PROGRAM AND 1/3 OF YOUR STUDENTS, WHILE GETTING SUED AND LOSING (It's still ongoing with multiple cases).

*If anyone has proof the ENTIRE NEW DPT CURRICULUM has been approved by the APTA/CAPTE please share on here!!!!
***I already know the school is accredited, however I could not for the life of me find proof of the NEW CURRICULUM BEING APPROVED. The FLEX and old curriculum are approved.
**********IF YOU FIND AN EXACT PRE-REQUISITE/ COURSE OBJECTIVE FLOW CHART FOR THE NEW CURRICULUM please share on here as well. (Not what you need to get in to USA)

Dude you already made your own thread on this. This is the thread for ALL USA campuses not just St. Augustine. If you have issues with that particular campus post it in that thread. A lot of us are interested in hearing from potential classmates/interviewees for the Fall 2017 cycle from Miami, San Macros, Austin, and this will eventually (when acceptances come around) be the place where we connect with our classmates. As much as you want to vent about ONE campus, this is not the best place for it.

Out of curiosity, did anyone here have any C's on their transcript but were still invited to an interview?

Out of curiosity, did anyone here have any C's on their transcript but were still invited to an interview?

I had a C in my last physics course and I just interviewed on the 24th at San Marcos

Reactions: 1 user
I had a C in general biology from like 5 years ago when I was a different major and a C in walking...... I know, embarrassing. But it all happened in one semester, so I think they could tell I was having a hard time then.

Yes it is still possible. Don't get discouraged about it. You still have a chance.
Thanks, guys. I'm taking physics right now and it's been pretty rough so far. It'll take a small miracle to get a B, but I'm gonna keep fighting...

This is a forum where we are trying to help each other out. You started to do that and was aiming in the right direction but turned left when you posted this. Someone posted a comment earlier about the new curriculum not having to be confirmed by CAPTE as long as they are notified. And why would you need a pre-req chart for the new curriculum. It is for incoming students and later classes. If you have questions about how the classes flow then email USA and ask them for it. As stated earlier. Each school has its evils. Just choose the lesser of the evils and if you don't like the school or if you are iffy about it. Then decline your spot and let someone who will appreciate the school have a chance at a future they are passionate about.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from Ellen Price of CAPTE. All you have to do is ask. http://tinypic.com/r/nxw42d/9
Thank you very much!!! That means all 4 campuses are accredited! (They all have the same curriculum)
I was not given that information when I asked my advisor and other administrators like 15 times over the last two semesters. I don't know why I didn't think to just ask CAPTE. St Augustine got audited/warning by either APTA or CAPTE because they had 1 less internship than anybody else which is the reason for the curriculum change which they didn't tell us about until we were already on campus and had signed paperwork.

That's really beneficial, still hoping to find a flow chart as it'll prove they actually have the courses planned out. The reason you want a flow chart or pre requisite list is that you'll know which classes to prioritize when studying for classes. If class A is a pre-req for class B7, B8, and B10, and class C is not a pre req for anything else than obviously you should focus on class A first then class C after. (Remember the city traffic analogy.) That way if you have to drop a class it'll only keep you back 1 semester rather than say 2 semesters. (An economic savings of $40,000 dollars)
(So much info is hidden from students here, but we are never quite sure if they are hiding it on purpose or just really don't know or are really busy.)

*They don't really like when you ask faculty on other campuses questions. A current student raising issues that could call into question the validity or authority of the school, throws up a huge red target on that student's back, that doesn't happen for prospective students as they expect you to be curious and have concerns.

This is a forum where we are trying to help each other out. You started to do that and was aiming in the right direction but turned left when you posted this. Someone posted a comment earlier about the new curriculum not having to be confirmed by CAPTE as long as they are notified. And why would you need a pre-req chart for the new curriculum. It is for incoming students and later classes. If you have questions about how the classes flow then email USA and ask them for it. As stated earlier. Each school has its evils. Just choose the lesser of the evils and if you don't like the school or if you are iffy about it. Then decline your spot and let someone who will appreciate the school have a chance at a future they are passionate about.
I'm already enrolled... THEY WONT GIVE ANY OF US A FLOW CHART, I HAVE ALREADY ASKED. (seriously, I already posted this, please read before actually confronting) I'm not grand-fathered in to the old curriculum. So if I (or any of my fellow students fail or get a D in enough classes we'll get stuck with a 200k bill to graduate instead of 120k or worse if they decide those future classes aren't quite what they want.
If you want to make a willy-nilly decision about a school that doesn't have its ducks in a row thats up to you. But if you really want to thrive in PT school make 100% certain you WANT to be at that exact school, or when your max stressed out all those little questions and concerns you actually had about the school that you just shrugged off/ignored will take part of your mind of learning and you won't be at your best. PT school is extremely hard and stressful, like losing a loved one stressful. The less concerns you have unanswered before grad school anywhere, the better you'll do.

Last edited:
For anyone that interviewed this last weekend, did they show you the lab? Or did you just walk by it without going in and actually seeing it?

For anyone that interviewed this last weekend, did they show you the lab? Or did you just walk by it without going in and actually seeing it?

A student took us on a tour. She showed us where the lab was, but the door was locked so we didn't go in.

A student took us on a tour. She showed us where the lab was, but the door was locked so we didn't go in.
It would have been nice to see the lab along with more clear examples of their online blended classes. Some descriptions about the classes too would be nice.

I'm already enrolled... THEY WONT GIVE ANY OF US A FLOW CHART, I HAVE ALREADY ASKED. (seriously, I already posted this, please read before actually confronting) I'm not grand-fathered in to the old curriculum. So if I (or any of my fellow students fail or get a D in enough classes we'll get stuck with a 200k bill to graduate instead of 120k or worse if they decide those future classes aren't quite what they want.
If you want to make a willy-nilly decision about a school that doesn't have its ducks in a row thats up to you. But if you really want to thrive in PT school make 100% certain you WANT to be at that exact school, or when your max stressed out all those little questions and concerns you actually had about the school that you just shrugged off/ignored will take part of your mind of learning and you won't be at your best. PT school is extremely hard and stressful, like losing a loved one stressful. The less concerns you have unanswered before grad school anywhere, the better you'll do.
is this what you are looking for?
DPT - Curriculum Starting 2017 | University of St. Augustine

No didnt go inside the lab? Is there reason for suspicion?

No didnt go inside the lab? Is there reason for suspicion?
I want to stop checking my emails before Friday ....I am thinking back of anything I may have done wrong during the interview.....ugh this is not fun

Thanks, guys. I'm taking physics right now and it's been pretty rough so far. It'll take a small miracle to get a B, but I'm gonna keep fighting...
get a tutor! physics is important to the DPT I think you really need to understand biomechanics...its the hardest course as well

I want to stop checking my emails before Friday ....I am thinking back of anything I may have done wrong during the interview.....ugh this is not fun
Same here I've been waiting 3 weeks and only a few more days. UStA was my number one choice, I wasn't even expecting an interview from them. I'm setting my email to refresh every 30 min. Lol

Also..FYI. There was concern that UStA didn't have a flow chart for their new curriculum. They now have it for both full time and flex DPT incoming students on their brand new website.

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has heard a decision from St Augustine for the Miami campus yet? I had an interview on the 10th and they said in about 2 weeks we should hear. I haven't yet, and I'm SO anxious as I'm sure all of you are!!!

Good luck to everyone :)

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has heard a decision from St Augustine for the Miami campus yet? I had an interview on the 10th and they said in about 2 weeks we should hear. I haven't yet, and I'm SO anxious as I'm sure all of you are!!!

Good luck to everyone :)

I was there for the interview on the 24th, and they said we should hear back no later than the 30th. Good luck!

Same here I've been waiting 3 weeks and only a few more days. UStA was my number one choice, I wasn't even expecting an interview from them. I'm setting my email to refresh every 30 min. Lol
awww realistically i don't think it will come out till Friday
But I do glance at my emails everyday
Be nice not to have chase for recommendation letters etc all over again

awww realistically i don't think it will come out till Friday
But I do glance at my emails everyday
Be nice not to have chase for recommendation letters etc all over again
Oh man guys! I'm so nervous and obsessively checking my email. I interviewed march 11 in st Augustine for flex . Anyone hear anything yet ???

Oh man guys! I'm so nervous and obsessively checking my email. I interviewed march 11 in st Augustine for flex . Anyone hear anything yet ???

Dear @Heatherobscura,

I interviewed on the same day as you for the Flex program at the Saint Augustine campus. I have yet to hear back from them as well. My feeling is that they won't be sending out any decisions until tomorrow. That's what they said on interview day. You never know though. We may have to wait until next week. All we can really do is remain patient. Deep breathes! The decisions will come when they're ready.

In interviewed on the same day also.
I'm trying to restrain myself from checking my email. I'm like a little kid wanna hurry up and get home and go to sleep so tomorrow can come lol. But hopefully tomorrow is our day.

I have not heard yet either! I was told no later than the 30th on interview day, but I am thinking she did not realize the 30th was either not a Friday or the last day of the month. Either way, I feel like we will definitely know by the end of tomorrow! I am checking my email every 3 minutes lol the stress is killing me!

I have not heard yet either! I was told no later than the 30th on interview day, but I am thinking she did not realize the 30th was either not a Friday or the last day of the month. Either way, I feel like we will definitely know by the end of tomorrow! I am checking my email every 3 minutes lol the stress is killing me!

Were you at the Miami interview on the 24th? I was thinking the exact same thing about how she must did not realize that the 30th wasn't a Friday.

If I have to go through another weekend in limbo I may develop an ulcer haha
Dear @Heatherobscura,

I interviewed on the same day as you for the Flex program at the Saint Augustine campus. I have yet to hear back from them as well. My feeling is that they won't be sending out any decisions until tomorrow. That's what they said on interview day. You never know though. We may have to wait until next week. All we can really do is remain patient. Deep breathes! The decisions will come when they're ready.[/QUOTE

Were you at the Miami interview on the 24th? I was thinking the exact same thing about how she must did not realize that the 30th wasn't a Friday.

No, my interview was the 10th! But when she said two weeks I was jumping for joy! lol most schools don't give a time frame and take months to tell you. So hopefully we find out tomorrow! This waiting is crazy. Checking my email every 3 minutes has to be a mental disorder lol!

No, my interview was the 10th! But when she said two weeks I was jumping for joy! lol most schools don't give a time frame and take months to tell you. So hopefully we find out tomorrow! This waiting is crazy. Checking my email every 3 minutes has to be a mental disorder lol!

Got an email!! accepted!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if San Marcos explicitly said when they would be letting us know?

Hey, I got my acceptance letter emailed today for Fall 2017 Miami campus!

Reactions: 8 users
Hurray to the Miami candidates, for their suffering has ended lol. Happy for you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if San Marcos explicitly said when they would be letting us know?

When I emailed Jennifer on Monday she told me at least 3 weeks from the 24th interview. No idea about the interviewees for 10th though.

Oh well done you guys!
An extra day for us.
I am not gonna sleep tonight
Anyone from Austin hear?
I interviewed for st augustine and there were somany ppl she said in total 120 ppl interviewed for 54 places...my heart....ohhhh

Oh well done you guys!
An extra day for us.
I am not gonna sleep tonight
Yea me sleeping may not happen tonight..I will be refreshing my email all day tomorrow. Praying for a spot!

When I emailed Jennifer on Monday she told me at least 3 weeks from the 24th interview. No idea about the interviewees for 10th though.

What? I hope that's not true lol. I'm already anxious and I thought we would find out tomorrow. I need to stop checking my email!

I thought they would consider all interviewees at one time.