University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any suggestions for apartments hunting: where to look, best neighborhoods, etc

If you've joined the FB page, there have been TONS of posts from upperclassmen recommending apartments/ rental houses near the school. I personally will be staying about 18 miles away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
any suggestions for apartments hunting: where to look, best neighborhoods, etc
I got an affordable unit close to school. Just about $1,000/month but walking distance to Trinity park, the school, shopping places, and it's nice to sit on my balcony and watch all the drunk TCU kids and uber cars parade up and down the streets all weekend. (Noise warning)
I'm a homebody and feel like I'm in my safety zone while still smackdab in the center of all the night life scene.
If that's your thing, check out White Buffalo, Bell Lancaster, The Lofts on 7th, or Parkside. Elan for a slightly quieter side of 7th street, all reasonably priced if you get an affordable unit. $200 off/month if you had little to no income last year and they have an affordable unit open. I've seen many people in scrubs walking about and I assume are fellow TCOMers.
There are plenty of options to find roommates on our FB class of 2021 group and snag furniture and books from parting 4th year students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an affordable unit close to school. Just about $1,000/month but walking distance to Trinity park, the school, shopping places, and it's nice to sit on my balcony and watch all the drunk TCU kids and uber cars parade up and down the streets all weekend. (Noise warning).
There are plenty of options to find roommates on our FB class of 2021 group and snag furniture and books from parting 4th year students.

Thanks!
I don't want too much noise, somthing more peaceful and calm. Which neighborhoods to look for? And how soon should I sign up for the apartment?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!
I don't want too much noise, somthing more peaceful and calm. Which neighborhoods to look for? And how soon should I sign up for the apartment?
My experiences are limited. Someone else could better answer that. Just avoid apartments near Norwood Street. Bikers like the area and think it's impressive to flick the throttles at 1am and set off car alarms. I will invest in a sound machine.

Last edited:
Thanks!
If you can find a place in the Arlington heights area it is a good quiet safe place to live.

how far from campus? Possible to bike to campus? Rent range is the same...
Arlington Heights is literally the neighborhood that the campus is located in. You can definitely walk or ride a bike to campus if you find a place to live there.

Has anyone heard positive reviews about Cumberland at Ridglea? Online reviews aren't so great, but I liked it when I visited there.

Has anyone heard positive reviews about Cumberland at Ridglea? Online reviews aren't so great, but I liked it when I visited there.

There are multiple postings from people on the class' fb trying to lease or recruit others to come. I don't see what the big deal is, but I guess it's worth checking out?

Do scholarships show up on your financial aid award notification form?

DL Unsubsidized Loan HlthPro <-- what does this mean? federal unsubsidized loan for health professionals

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this pretty much the standard loan that everyone gets? I heard or read that the Gov. stopped offering subsized loans for graduate education...

Is this pretty much the standard loan that everyone gets? I heard or read that the Gov. stopped offering subsized loans for graduate education...
Yes, graduate loans are unsubsidized - this means you can't postpone paying loan interest while in school. Interest rates are still lower than what you can get for a private loan. Be sure you meet with financial aid office as you start school and truly understand when you have to start making interest payments and to whom. Payment of interest on the loans starts right away and paying off the principal starts after you finish school.

So how do people / those students start med school at 22 - manage paying interest while they are still in schools if they dont have wealthy or even middle class parents and have 0 or little EFC ? I assume interest payments are 80 dollars a month or so?

So how do people / those students start med school at 22 - manage paying interest while they are still in schools if they dont have wealthy or even middle class parents and have 0 or little EFC ? I assume interest payments are 80 dollars a month or so?
Well, you use some of your loan money for the interest payments

I'm deferring my loans, but can't do it until I actually start classes. Payments depends on how much you took out and your interest rates. Mine is way more than 80. Also, I can see it being manageable if you aren't living lavishly.

Last edited:
so if you had low EFC, you don't really get a better deal - you are just able to take more $$$ in loans to pay / cover interest that has to be paid while in school, etc.

so if you had low EFC, you don't really get a better deal - you are just able to take more $$$ in loans to pay / cover interest that has to be paid while in school, etc.

Yeah, and correction on my EFC comment. It's an estimate of how much loans you're able to receive. It doesn't matter to us though since the loan we're receiving is not needs-based.

Is anyone here going to sign up for the pre-matriculation workshops? I'm still debating.

Is anyone here going to sign up for the pre-matriculation workshops? I'm still debating.
I'm strongly considering it. Perhaps the anatomy one. I don't look forward to a cadaver lab and anatomy in general.

I'm strongly considering it. Perhaps the anatomy one. I don't look forward to a cadaver lab and anatomy in general.
They seem useful, but I'm wanting to savor as much of the summer as I can before we're thrown into the madness. I'm also moving from out of state so it'd be nice to have more time with that too

They seem useful, but I'm wanting to savor as much of the summer as I can before we're thrown into the madness. I'm also moving from out of state so it'd be nice to have more time with that too
I think they made orientation week two days shorter. :) 2 more days of freedom.

I'm going. I feel any help I can get would be helpful. It wouldn't be bad to socialize a bit before school starts. A strong study group is going to be essential in surviving.

@popopopop That's a really good point. Definitely gonna keep that in mind.

@CastleG8 I almost wish the workshop started later since they shortened orientation. I'm not a fan of how the schedule works around the 4th of July. I suppose those days would be ideal for socializing and exploring Fort Worth though.

@popopopop That's a really good point. Definitely gonna keep that in mind.

@CastleG8 I almost wish the workshop started later since they shortened orientation. I'm not a fan of how the schedule works around the 4th of July. I suppose those days would be ideal for socializing and exploring Fort Worth though.

I don't think you'll be missing much. I would handle loose ends if I'm coming from out of state.

When do the financial aid awards have to submitted /signed/accepted by? I can't find a deadline for that stuff.

When do the financial aid awards have to submitted /signed/accepted by? I can't find a deadline for that stuff.

Email them or call. I've been checking off my orientation stuff and they reply back through email same day each time.

Just started the CITI training yesterday. Whew, it is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Financial aid disburses 10 days before July 12th so I would assume before July 2nd.

According to TCOM's website, the disbursement date is actually July 7th since classes don't start until July 17th. Also remember that the disbursement date is the date TCOM receives the money. It then takes them a couple of days to get it out to you, so I would expect the money to hit your account about July 10th.

Pulled off the waitlist yesterday - there's still hope!

Now I got 4 weeks to get my life sort of together in terms of living, financial aid, etc. Any advice or links to other housing threads?
Also, how long after accepting your admissions offer were you notified of your financial aid offer? I completed my FAFSA in March (with fingers crossed) so it should definitely be processed/sent to TCOM by now. I just got accepted yesterday so I don't want to be too eager by calling financial aid, etc., until I get a response from the admissions. So any of y'alls insight would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 8 users

Now I got 4 weeks to get my life sort of together in terms of living, financial aid, etc. Any advice or links to other housing threads?
Also, how long after accepting your admissions offer were you notified of your financial aid offer? I completed my FAFSA in March (with fingers crossed) so it should definitely be processed/sent to TCOM by now. I just got accepted yesterday so I don't want to be too eager by calling financial aid, etc., until I get a response from the admissions. So any of y'alls insight would be greatly appreciated!

Join the facebook thread. There are a bunch of roomies wanted. See you soon!

I will have LESS time than you get it together even though I was notified ahead of time. i hope i can get everything squared away in 3 weeksw..

I have a few questions: do we need to resubmit letters of rec and transcripts? It shows up on my to do list but all the ones I sent with my application are the most current and up-to-date. Also, what is the process for getting the school loans to cover apartment and housing, etc? Is there a link or website for that?

I have a few questions: do we need to resubmit letters of rec and transcripts? It shows up on my to do list but all the ones I sent with my application are the most current and up-to-date. Also, what is the process for getting the school loans to cover apartment and housing, etc? Is there a link or website for that?

You go through FAFSA or you get private loans. Have you started FAFSA? Strange how you have to resubmit letters of rec. I have no clue about that. Keep us updated!

You go through FAFSA or you get private loans. Have you started FAFSA? Strange how you have to resubmit letters of rec. I have no clue about that. Keep us updated!
I did go through FAFSA but I only got a grand in aid. I just thought that perhaps the school had suggested a loan disbursement company for students to use. I will call and ask though. About the letter and transcript, the former isn't required to be resent but the latter (official transcript) is only sent to TMDSAS and not the school itself. School needs a hard copy.

I did go through FAFSA but I only got a grand in aid. I just thought that perhaps the school had suggested a loan disbursement company for students to use. I will call and ask though. About the letter and transcript, the former isn't required to be resent but the latter (official transcript) is only sent to TMDSAS and not the school itself. School needs a hard copy.

Yeah, I'm getting my final transcript together too. Did you do complete the Grad Plus Master Promissory Note?

Could anyone tell us when the breaks are ...(christmas breaks I can see, but what about spring break and last day of school?) HEHEHEHEHHE :claps:

Could anyone tell us when the breaks are ...(christmas breaks I can see, but what about spring break and last day of school?) HEHEHEHEHHE :claps:

TCOM Academic Calendar - University of North Texas Health Science Center - Acalog ACMS™

Found this while browsing. This is for 2017-2018.

Holidays and Special Events
(Please note that holidays may vary for students on rotation and for members of the faculty and staff)

Labor Day Sep 4
Thanksgiving Nov 23 - Nov 24
Winter Break Dec 16 - Jan 1
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Jan 15
Spring Break Mar 12 - Mar 16
Research Appreciation Day TBD
Commencement TBD
Memorial Day May 28
Independence Day Jul 4
*Designated study time for board exam ---

Reactions: 2 users

hows it going? housing and all?

hows it going? housing and all?

Good good. I've moved in by the MET. The neighborhood around here has some awesome houses, perfect for jogging. I wish Kroger was a bit closer to school, which is my only complaint about the area right now. When are you moving down?

TCOM Academic Calendar - University of North Texas Health Science Center - Acalog ACMS™

Found this while browsing. This is for 2017-2018.

Holidays and Special Events
(Please note that holidays may vary for students on rotation and for members of the faculty and staff)

Labor Day Sep 4
Thanksgiving Nov 23 - Nov 24
Winter Break Dec 16 - Jan 1
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Jan 15
Spring Break Mar 12 - Mar 16
Research Appreciation Day TBD
Commencement TBD
Memorial Day May 28
Independence Day Jul 4
*Designated study time for board exam ---

FYI they have this note posted on 12/15: "Student Performance Committee - Do not schedule your flights out of town until you know you have passed your courses."

Good good. I've moved in by the MET. The neighborhood around here has some awesome houses, perfect for jogging. I wish Kroger was a bit closer to school, which is my only complaint about the area right now. When are you moving down?

There's a new Tom Thumb down the road on 7th.

There's a new Tom Thumb down the road on 7th.

I don't think I can afford Tom Thumb lol. I was pleasantly surprised of how that Kroger by TCU has so many discounted items though.