University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They will probably start pulling off the waitlist later this month or next, based on past years. There is no way for anyone to really know how many spots are filled.

Thanks for your response! My problem is that this is the only school that I'm waitlisted for after no interviews anywhere else and I made the mistake of not applying widely due to my advisors telling me I was a shoe-in (bad advice and I was incredibly stupid for taking it) now I'm about to retake the Mcats and reapply more widely but man it would've amazing to get off the waitlist and not have to go through all that again..

I feeel uncomfortable asking and I totally understand if nobdody wants to give this info but how many people have shown up in the Facebook group? That could help tell how full the roster is.. there is what 200 spots?

Again I totally get it if you can't give that info I am just desperate for some hope

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your response! My problem is that this is the only school that I'm waitlisted for after no interviews anywhere else and I made the mistake of not applying widely due to my advisors telling me I was a shoe-in (bad advice and I was incredibly stupid for taking it) now I'm about to retake the Mcats and reapply more widely but man it would've amazing to get off the waitlist and not have to go through all that again..

I feeel uncomfortable asking and I totally understand if nobdody wants to give this info but how many people have shown up in the Facebook group? That could help tell how full the roster is.. there is what 200 spots?

Again I totally get it if you can't give that info I am just desperate for some hope
I'm sure that the class is filled. The hope comes from people deciding to drop their acceptances to attend elsewhere. The deadline for this is April 30th, so don't expect too much waitlist movement until then. That being said, I withdrew my acceptance this week. Hopefully someone gets that spot soon.

The facebook total is not a good predictor (488 right now btw) since the upperclassmen are part of it too. They advertise clubs, sell things, and give general advice. I'm part of three different TCOM classes on facebook myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that the class is filled. The hope comes from people deciding to drop their acceptances to attend elsewhere. The deadline for this is April 30th, so don't expect too much waitlist movement until then. That being said, I withdrew my acceptance this week. Hopefully someone gets that spot soon.

Thank you for your reply! Do you think it's common to hold more than one acceptance till the deadline? And what was your situation if you don't mind saying?

The facebook total is not a good predictor (488 right now btw) since the upperclassmen are part of it too. They advertise clubs, sell things, and give general advice. I'm part of three different TCOM classes on facebook myself.

Got it, thanks so much!

Thank you for your reply! Do you think it's common to hold more than one acceptance till the deadline? And what was your situation if you don't mind saying?
I would say that it's very common. I was waiting to get financial aid info from a different school (non Texas) to help me with my decision.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't worry, if you're on the waiting at TCOM, you probably have a good chance of getting off. I had a friend last year who didn't get off until sometime around mid to late June.

I don't think retaking a 512 is the best idea, there is probably a different part of your application that you could focus on if going to reapply.

Your gap and mcat are both solid. If you do end up having to reapply, look at your app, figure out what is lacking and get going right now, it's a pretty short window until applications open up again. Try to be honest with yourself, and then apply broadly.

Are you talking about med school acceptances or other SMP acceptances? I thought you could withdraw all the way until first day of classes.

Med school acceptances. You are only allowed to hold an acceptance to one medical school past April 30th. You can remain on as many waitlists as you are on and can be accepted to one of those and then withdraw from your previous school at any point up until matriculation.

Had you had an interview prior to this?
Sorry for delayed response. This was my first interview. They dipped into the applications again and re-considered 15 people for a waitlist interview. With that being said, as of yesterday I was notified that I am on the waitlist.

Very exciting for me, since I applied late and am very fortunate to even have had the chance to interview. But I can't help but wonder about the current waitlist movement. If you're waitlisted and accepted, please respond with stats! I know there's a strategic ranking system for the waitlist so it would be fairly nice to know where I (might) stand.

Thanks to everyone who's been posting this cycle. Reading these posts while waiting to hear back from TCOM was a little heart breaking, but very helpful. Getting an interview in March was unusual and exciting for me and it's nice to know there's still a little hope :) Good luck to everyone!

withdrew acceptance. hope it goes to one of you on the WL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I can't find on orientation page.

First day is after Memorial Day - May 30
Orientation is May 24-25, also May 23 if you're international
I know that for TCOM, the workshops are from 5th July to 7th July and orientation is 12th july to 15th july. I just can't find when classes actually start... Do you mean July 20th?

I know that for TCOM, the workshops are from 5th July to 7th July and orientation is 12th july to 15th july. I just can't find when classes actually start... Do you mean July 20th?

Looking at the past calendars, classes always started on a Monday. It's probably going to be July 17th.

Yep, It will be! Classes start immediately after orientation week!
Ok thanks, yes I looked at the previous years and saw it was the Monday after orientation week. Have an awesome day!

Looking to apply here this coming up cycle and wondering if I should even consider it here. It seems like an amazing school.
-OOS
-3.55/3.45 cGPA/sGPA
-514 MCAT
-no ties to Texas

Looking to apply here this coming up cycle and wondering if I should even consider it here. It seems like an amazing school.
-OOS
-3.55/3.45 cGPA/sGPA
-514 MCAT
-no ties to Texas
If you're going to apply to one Texas school you might as well apply to them all. Same price.

-OOS
-3.55/3.45 cGPA/sGPA
-514 MCAT
-no ties to Texas

If you're going to apply to one Texas school you might as well apply to them all. Same price.

Agreed! With your GPA & MCAT combination, you stand some chance of IIs from schools beyond TCOM- just be aware of the fact that 90% of the seats available to each class is reserved for TX residents.

-OOS
-3.55/3.45 cGPA/sGPA
-514 MCAT
-no ties to Texas
I'm OOS and was accepted at TCOM this year! GPA 3.9 and MCAT 509, no ties to Texas. I have a lot of ECs and volunteer hours which was a big talking point at my interviews. If your application is well rounded you probably have a good shot!

Deferred my admission so I will not be joining you guys :( Hoping it will go to somebody on the waitlist

will your spot be there for you next year? Hope you are ok

Yes, they will be holding a spot for me in 2018! I'm currently in my first year of a certain program with an option of a second year and was allowed a deferral to complete the second year of my program. Thank you for your concern @wysdoc :)

Hello everyone,

those who are accepted or have any info (current students), how does the scholarship / FAFSA / Financial aid package go? Where does the loan come from (through UNT via a choice of bank/loan providers that student can choose from)?

Also, what kind of scholarships have people gotten?

I got the financial statement but I am not sure how the loan will be transferred. I am assuming, closer to the date, we give our bank account info and they do direct deposit? My boyfriend said that the loan can come from private lenders that work with the school or other medical schools. I got a grand a semester scholarship there ;(

Hello guys,

Current / incoming students:
What are some of the biggest scholarships TCOM has given out (just to torture myself)?
How does the loan progress for financial aid work?...Do we submit FAFSA, and then UNT-TCOM Financial aid office gives you a list of loan providers and you pick one...or?

Any info on what to do next after acceptance is appreciated

Hello guys,

Current / incoming students:
What are some of the biggest scholarships TCOM has given out (just to torture myself)?
How does the loan progress for financial aid work?...Do we submit FAFSA, and then UNT-TCOM Financial aid office gives you a list of loan providers and you pick one...or?

Any info on what to do next after acceptance is appreciated
With my financial aid package, they gave me a grant and the rest to be covered by a unsubsidized government loan. That's all they will really offer you in regards to loans. As far as private student loans, you will have to go find someone to take them out with yourself.

With my financial aid package, they gave me a grant and the rest to be covered by a unsubsidized government loan. That's all they will really offer you in regards to loans. As far as private student loans, you will have to go find someone to take them out with yourself.
Could you refresh my memory again on subsidized/unsubsidized loan? How do they determine who gets the subsidized version?

Could you refresh my memory again on subsidized/unsubsidized loan? How do they determine who gets the subsidized version?

In a doctorate program, none of your loans will be subsidized by the US gov't (interest paid while you're in school). The entirety of your federal loan package will be unsubsidized.

You are welcome to seek private loans, but just remember that you will not be able to pay them back using special programs the government offers physicians (such as working in rural areas, etc). If you're interested in taking out only federal loans, just fill out FAFSA and submit that. The financial aid office will then post under your MyHSC portal how much you are eligible for (which will be $43, 896 for this year) and you decide which loans to accept. About 2 weeks before each semester starts, your tuition and fees will be taken out of your granted loans and the remainder disbursed to you via direct deposit or you can pick up a check from the office. Remember that the total amount you take out each year will be split into 2 equal sums and disbursed before each semester starts, so make sure you plan out your finances so that you don't expect to get everything this summer. Also, all of your federal loans will be unsubsidized since they are loans being used for grad school. Hope that helps.

As far as scholarships, I have no clue. No one really talks about them honestly.

I got closer to 45k in loans as an incoming student. My cousin got 47k, but I didn't ask if those extra 2k were the grants/scholarship. I wonder if they were?

Yeah, I have also gotten a $2k grant each year. Also I pulled that number straight from my financial aid portal for the upcoming year, so it should be correct.

I withdrew today and it was a very hard descion. I hope the spot goes to someone here it's a great school!:clap:

Can anyone provide any updates on waitlist movement?? There hasn't been much talk on this forum about many people getting in off the waitlist so im just curious thanks :)

Can anyone provide any updates on waitlist movement?? There hasn't been much talk on this forum about many people getting in off the waitlist so im just curious thanks :)

Students don't really have that answer. It's best to just call and see if they have any further plans for movement. The admissions office is helpful and fast.

I know a decent amount of my classmates got off the waitlist in June, so I wouldn't say it's over quite yet. However I would definitely not depend on it at this point.

I guess you can say I was pulled off the waitlist. I saw that I didn't match on match day. Then I got an email saying that I was on a waitlist, and less than an hour later I saw another email saying that I was offered an acceptance.
That was a rollercoster of emotions for a single day!
Waitlisted and then pulled off a few hours after the Feb 1 match was announced.

Reactions: 2 users
any suggestions for apartments hunting: where to look, best neighborhoods, etc