University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview here on Jan 25th. I am OOS. Any advice?
As others have mentioned on here the interview will be pretty low stress know your application, know why UNE, why osteopathic medicine, what area of medicine interests you and why. There really was not any true curve ball questions. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

'Tis not

Actually I don't know if it's different now than a few months ago....

You're right. Just got my actual letter. The $1500 due in 60 days is refundable until June 1st though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected post secondary. I'm not surprised, I sent my secondary in fairly late.

As others have mentioned on here the interview will be pretty low stress know your application, know why UNE, why osteopathic medicine, what area of medicine interests you and why. There really was not any true curve ball questions. Good luck!
The only curveball they threw me was "why DO vs. PA?" I hadn't thought about becoming a PA since I was 16 so I wasn't too prepared but I guess they liked my answer!

So from this point forward, is this school interviewing applicants for the waitlist? Got an II and deciding if it's worth it to attend.

So from this point forward, is this school interviewing applicants for the waitlist? Got an II and deciding if it's worth it to attend.

Not necessarily. I was waitlisted and then accepted 2 weeks later. I guess it just depends how big the waitlist is.

Not necessarily. I was waitlisted and then accepted 2 weeks later. I guess it just depends how big the waitlist is.

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. Did you fly in? If so, which airport did you fly into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. Did you fly in? If so, which airport did you fly into?

I flew into Portland. But my grandparents are also there and just picked me up.

I think some people said it was cheaper to fly into Boston and rent a car.

Reactions: 2 users
If you would consider this program over the one(s) you've already been accepted to, then it is definitely worth it to attend. Based on last year's thread, it seems like there will be a lot of wait list movement over the coming months. But if you don't think that you would be any happier at UNECOM compared to where you've already been accepted to, then it is prolly not worth it.

But the travel is cheap and the lobstah is delicious!

I second this.

Reactions: 1 users
If you would consider this program over the one(s) you've already been accepted to, then it is definitely worth it to attend. Based on last year's thread, it seems like there will be a lot of wait list movement over the coming months. But if you don't think that you would be any happier at UNECOM compared to where you've already been accepted to, then it is prolly not worth it.

But the travel is cheap and the lobstah is delicious!

Portland (also I know this wasn't directed towards me lol)

Thanks for the insights! I have some friends who currently go here, and they've told me great stories about this school. I'd like to check it out for myself and Maine in general!

Thanks for the insights! I have some friends who currently go here, and they've told me great stories about this school. I'd like to check it out for myself and Maine in general!

Definitely do that! I loved the day there and the school in general.

Mine was an open file interview with two professors (one PhD and one MD), but I heard that most other people had interviews with two professors and one student (with at least one professor being a DO). Funny situation though: it was the PhD's last year (after like 30 something) and the MD's first year at UNE COM, so this gave us some interesting conversation topics. Not sure if this was true, but the MD had apparently not read my file. Although this didn't seem to make any difference because the PhD was leading the interview.

Like I said, very conversational. Be prepared for typical questions like "why UNECOM?" and "why DO?" and "where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

I posted this in another thread, but my most difficult question was "what do you like to do in your free time?" It caught me off guard and made me nervous because I play video games in my free time. But that's exactly what I said, and I think they could tell I was being candid.

Thanks for the help! In the email, it says that interview day starts at 8am. About what time did yours end?

What is special about UNE COM and why do you guys want to go here?

What is special about UNE COM and why do you guys want to go here?
Beautiful campus, I really liked their curriculum (organ system except for first two which are upper extremity and lower extremity), admissions committee was great and nice. Overall it is a great school but I will be turning down whatever they decide for me since I just got into my top choice.

This was a tough decision for me because UNECOM had been one of my top choices since the beginning. However, after thoughtful consideration, I'll decline my invitation to interview at this school. Maine is beautiful, and I appreciate lobster gods showing me the love. But after all, I'm not a big fan of mandatory lectures. Good luck for the rest of the cycle fam! And many thanks to those who offered me tips for the interview!

This was a tough decision for me because UNECOM had been one of my top choices since the beginning. However, after thoughtful consideration, I'll decline my invitation to interview at this school. Maine is beautiful, and I appreciate lobster gods showing me the love. But after all, I'm not a big fan of mandatory lectures. Good luck for the rest of the cycle fam! And many thanks to those who offered me tips for the interview!

Where have you selected/leaning towards? (I've followed you this cycle kinda across the threads.)

I've become hesitant to commit to this school because of so many people declining their offers to this school...

Last edited:
Hello, I sent my application to UNE-COM in August. Received Supplemental in September and sent them back right away. They had a problem processing my application and they weren't able to fully process the completed application until early November. I still have not heard anything from them regarding an interview....is there basically no hope anymore or do I still have even a slim chance? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

OMS-I here, just a reminder, THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR POLICY ON MANDATORY LECTURES, which has already come into effect this semester. Some lectures are still mandatory, some are optional, depending on the preference of the professor. So for example, on Monday, one of the lecture hours was mandatory, there other two were not for that day. This also goes for the anatomy lectures.

Hi everyone,

OMS-I here, just a reminder, THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR POLICY ON MANDATORY LECTURES, which has already come into effect this semester. Some lectures are still mandatory, some are optional, depending on the preference of the professor. So for example, on Monday, one of the lecture hours was mandatory, there other two were not for that day. This also goes for the anatomy lectures.

During my interview day, a lot of students said that the school is very receptive to student concerns. My interviewer also reiterated that statement. I'm not surprised that the mandatory lecture policy is already changing!

To those turning down interviews/acceptances due to this policy, please reconsider and give UNECOM a chance!

Oh man! I imagine this will change the decision for a lot of people.

Oh man! I imagine this will change the decision for a lot of people.

Nope! Not even for a second. They still have mandatory lectures just not as many now. 1 mandatory lecture is 1 too many as far as I am concerned!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just paid my first deposit! Still waiting on decisions from my state schools, but I would be very happy to attend UNECOM!

Is it too late to submit my primary to this school??? Today is the deadline.

I just got an II and they assigned me the 21st of March. I loved UNE COM when I visited a friend there last summer but is this an interview for a waitlist spot? I thought they had filled their class

I just got an II and they assigned me the 21st of March. I loved UNE COM when I visited a friend there last summer but is this an interview for a waitlist spot? I thought they had filled their class

People drop acceptances all the time. Even if you get waitlisted, I wouldnt worry tbh

Just received an interview invite here on Wednesday, scheduled for March 9th. I really hope the class isnt full because I already have two schools that waitlisted me :(

Just received an interview invite here on Wednesday, scheduled for March 9th. I really hope the class isnt full because I already have two schools that waitlisted me :(
I feel ya. I just got an II here too. My interview is even later on March 17th if it makes you feel any better.

Sent from my SM-P550 using SDN mobile

Was told by my friend that goes to UNE COM that some of her classmates were accepted late in the cycle. Don't lose hope!

Interviewing here tomorrow and was on the website doing some last minute reading. Saw that the campus was closed today due to weather - anyone in the area can speak to how bad it is right now? I assume if the campus is closed, interviews are cancelled. Tomorrow looks like it'll be better so hopefully I'll be OK!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

It's been snowing all day, this morning was pretty slick but the plows have since been out and the roads aren't bad at all right now. I expect them to be open tomorrow.

Thank you!

Interviews go on even if the campus is closed, so I'd recommend contacting admissions before assuming things are canceled and not showing up!

Also at around this time two years ago I got my II for early March, and obvi I go here now haha. It is entirely possible to still get in the class of 2021 at this point in the game, so don't lose hope! PM any questions.

tbh you'll be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist, and even if you're put on it you'll be at the very bottom of the list. Not worth in that situation IMO

tbh you'll be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist, and even if you're put on it you'll be at the very bottom of the list. Not worth in that situation IMO

I'm going anyway and making a trip out of it to visit my friend and friends in Boston. I've been accepted elsewhere so the stakes aren't high

Recently Accepted!
I was wondering if current students could answer a couple questions.
1. How do you feel about the curriculum in terms of board relevancy, fairness, intensity, how well its taught etc.
2. Thoughts on the towns of biddeford and portland?
3. Do you feel you have enough time to have a balanced life?
4. Whats the drop out rate in your estimation?

not looking to slack or anything lol just need some straight up honest opinions here

Recently Accepted!
I was wondering if current students could answer a couple questions.
1. How do you feel about the curriculum in terms of board relevancy, fairness, intensity, how well its taught etc.
2. Thoughts on the towns of biddeford and portland?
3. Do you feel you have enough time to have a balanced life?
4. Whats the drop out rate in your estimation?

not looking to slack or anything lol just need some straight up honest opinions here

Last edited: