University of New England Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulham

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I will be attending an interview for the DPT program at the University of New England in Portland, Maine on 11/04. I am traveling from out-of-state and was wondering if anyone else will be going or has already attended their interview. I would love any insight on good hotels or what cool things there are to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Hopefulham! I interviewed at University of New England on September 16th and received an acceptance letter on September 26th but I declined the acceptance since I choose to go to a different university. Overall, interview day wasn't bad. They talk to you about their program for most of the day and give you a campus tour. The actual interview with a professor only lasts about 15-30 minutes and asks you questions such as why PT, why University of New England and a few others such as what makes you stand out among the other applicants. It was a beautiful campus and the interview isn't bad at all! Good luck! :)

Hey Hopefulham! I interviewed at University of New England on September 16th and received an acceptance letter on September 26th but I declined the acceptance since I choose to go to a different university. Overall, interview day wasn't bad. They talk to you about their program for most of the day and give you a campus tour. The actual interview with a professor only lasts about 15-30 minutes and asks you questions such as why PT, why University of New England and a few others such as what makes you stand out among the other applicants. It was a beautiful campus and the interview isn't bad at all! Good luck! :)
Thanks for the tips and congrats on accepting an offer to a program!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I will be attending an interview for the DPT program at the University of New England in Portland, Maine on 11/04. I am traveling from out-of-state and was wondering if anyone else will be going or has already attended their interview. I would love any insight on good hotels or what cool things there are to do.

Hi Hopefulham! I also have a DPT interview at UNE on Nov. 4th! Where are you traveling from??

Hi dpt6psu, congrats on getting accepted to a program! I heard from a former dpt student who has graduated from the program that there an essay involved for the interview. Is that true since you went to the more recent interview?

@Sunny.shine no I did not! I didn't bring anything with me. They will provide you with a folder of all the information that you need for the day

Hello! I have an interview on Nov 11. I know that they accept 60 into their incoming class, but do you know how many they interview/have already offered?

Thanks!

Hey!

How was the interview and what questions did they ask you? Thanks! I have an interview November 11th, and I am traveling from out of state as well!

When did y'all submit your applications? I haven't heard anything from admissions for over a month and I'm super nervous hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
How was the interview and what questions did they ask you? Thanks! I have an interview November 11th, and I am traveling from out of state as well!
Congrats on the interview! I actually got accepted in my home state so I did not attend.

When did y'all submit your applications? I haven't heard anything from admissions for over a month and I'm super nervous hahah

I submitted Oct 7!

I submitted my application for UNE in August and still haven't heard anything from them except that my app. is still under review. I have a 3.3 gpa in biomedical sciences, which is on the lower end, but 540 hours in about five different clinics and volunteer work. I hope there is still a chance I can get an interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I submitted my application on 10/18 and have not heard anything yet. When did you submit your app and when did you hear back for an interview invitation?

I submitted my application on 10/18 and have not heard anything yet. When did you submit your app and when did you hear back for an interview invitation?
I submitted my PTCAS to UNE on September 11th and interviewed on November 4th. It was an individual interview. I heard back about a week and a half after that I had been wait listed for acceptance.

Anyone heard anything from UNE recently?

Anyone heard anything from UNE recently?

I haven't! I emailed them over thanksgiving break to see where they were in the interviewing process and they just told me my app. is still under review so I'm not really sure what's going on. Hopefully we hear from them soon!

I haven't! I emailed them over thanksgiving break to see where they were in the interviewing process and they just told me my app. is still under review so I'm not really sure what's going on. Hopefully we hear from them soon!

I go to the same thing when I asked. I'm hoping they will send out emails before winter break for interviews in January!

I go to the same thing when I asked. I'm hoping they will send out emails before winter break for interviews in January!

Do you know if they are holding any more interview sessions? That would be fantastic! :)

Do you know if they are holding any more interview sessions? That would be fantastic! :)

I applied the Monday following thanksgiving and I was just offered an interview spot last week for January 13th. Hope this helps!

Have you heard anything from UNE yet? I emailed them awhile ago and all I got was that my application was under review still.

Have you heard anything from UNE yet? I emailed them awhile ago and all I got was that my application was under review still.
I received an interview offer yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty sure they were waiting for my acedemic update since I got the invite a day after they said they received my grades.

I received an interview offer yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty sure they were waiting for my acedemic update since I got the invite a day after they said they received my grades.
Congrats! I sent mine in a couple days ago so hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from UNE?

Just declined my acceptance, hopefully it opens something up for you guys

Yes, I emailed them yesterday and once again got told my application is still under review

Same. I emailed on 02/15 asking about the status of my application and asked if interview invitations were still being sent out as I read somewhere they only held interviews through February. The response I got was, "Your application remains under review at this time. We will be in touch when we have an update for you. We are not currently sending interview invites."

I was waitlisted earlier in February, and I got an email last week asking if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. I'm not sure how much this helps, but I figured I would throw it in here.

I was waitlisted earlier in February, and I got an email last week asking if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. I'm not sure how much this helps, but I figured I would throw it in here.
Did you have an interview?

Same. I emailed on 02/15 asking about the status of my application and asked if interview invitations were still being sent out as I read somewhere they only held interviews through February. The response I got was, "Your application remains under review at this time. We will be in touch when we have an update for you. We are not currently sending interview invites."

I havnt heard back about my app yet either. I emailed asking about my status and they Gave the same "still under review" response. Anyone else not heard from them still?
I've been accepted elsewhere but not hearing from them and having loose ends is frustrating

I havnt heard back about my app yet either. I emailed asking about my status and they Gave the same "still under review" response. Anyone else not heard from them still?
I've been accepted elsewhere but not hearing from them and having loose ends is frustrating

I had an interview on 11-11-2016, and I got waitlisted for acceptance within a week. However, I am still on the waiting list which is kind of frustrating...BUT it is what it is you know! :) I have received two emails asking whether I want to remain on the waiting list or not. I have emailed yes to both of the emails declaring why I still have a passion for their DPT program as well as the career. This is my second year applying, and I am also considering going to one of 2 Doctor of Chiropractic programs I have been accepted to....just trying to figure how long to wait until I decide on one of the three. Ultimately I want to go to PT school, so I pray every day I will get taken off of the waiting list haha.

Otherwise, I am going to get my masters in sports/exercise science along with my doctor of chiropractic degree, and become a sports chiropractor. If I end up becoming a chiropractor I want to be able to be my own PT as a chiropractor. I want to not only adjust, but focus on manual therapy, modalities, rehab with exercises, and all that jazz.

HELP!

I had an interview on 11-11-2016, and I got waitlisted for acceptance within a week. However, I am still on the waiting list which is kind of frustrating...BUT it is what it is you know! :) I have received two emails asking whether I want to remain on the waiting list or not. I have emailed yes to both of the emails declaring why I still have a passion for their DPT program as well as the career. This is my second year applying, and I am also considering going to one of 2 Doctor of Chiropractic programs I have been accepted to....just trying to figure how long to wait until I decide on one of the three. Ultimately I want to go to PT school, so I pray every day I will get taken off of the waiting list haha.

Otherwise, I am going to get my masters in sports/exercise science along with my doctor of chiropractic degree, and become a sports chiropractor. If I end up becoming a chiropractor I want to be able to be my own PT as a chiropractor. I want to not only adjust, but focus on manual therapy, modalities, rehab with exercises, and all that jazz.

How much longer should I wait to make a decision? I currently live in Minneapolis close to one of the chiropractic schools I am considering, but the one in St. Louis has SUPER NICE facilities. The Minneapolis one is more science-evidence based...the other one is more evidence based along with a little more philosophy mixed in. Both are amazing schools with great results on boards. Both offer a concurrent masters of sports medicine/exercise science degree with your DC. The chiropractic programs start after Labor Day. UNE starts August 31st, so I have awhile to decide...but I am scared I will decide on a chiropractic program and then get taken off of the DPT waiting list at the most inconvenient time ha.

HELP!

How much longer should I wait to make a decision? I currently live in Minneapolis close to one of the chiropractic schools I am considering, but the one in St. Louis has SUPER NICE facilities. The Minneapolis one is more science-evidence based...the other one is more evidence based along with a little more philosophy mixed in. Both are amazing schools with great results on boards. Both offer a concurrent masters of sports medicine/exercise science degree with your DC. The chiropractic programs start after Labor Day. UNE starts August 31st, so I have awhile to decide...but I am scared I will decide on a chiropractic program and then get taken off of the DPT waiting list at the most inconvenient time ha.

I'll throw my 2 cents in but first when do you have to make a decision for either DC program? I believe if you want to be a PT then stick with it. I understand you can be a chiropractor who can act like a PT but when someone is looking for a clinician they will see chiropractor by your name and not physical therapist. They may never research it and never realize you are trying to act like a PT. I think its better to fully go after your dreams and become a PT. Just my thoughts and I interviewed at UNE so I understand their program and hope you get a call/email that you get in.

HELP!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well. It's actually not in the scope of practice for DC's to practice manual therapy and billing PT codes as a chiropractor gets a lot of chirps in trouble because it's not legal practice. If you dream of being a PT I would stick with it, taking a few years to get in is common and then you can practice the way you want!

Hey everyone! I have an interview for UNE this Friday and I had a few questions:
1. What questions did they ask?
2. Is there a writing sample?
3. Anyone else attending the interview this Friday?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I have an interview for UNE this Friday and I had a few questions:
1. What questions did they ask?
2. Is there a writing sample?
3. Anyone else attending the interview this Friday?

Thanks!
You have nothing to worry about they just want to know you as a person and find out what led you to this point and why you want to be a PT. This interview didn’t even feel like an interview at all. The session starts I believe at 10 and you could be there until 5 pm. You tour the campus and have plenty of time to talk to current students and faculty members.
I was the last person they interviewed that day and the whole thing lasted no more than 15 minutes. They pair you with a faculty member that doesn’t know anything about your or your application. She asked me why I wanted to go to UNE and what I liked about Portland Maine. She asked me about my background and why I wanted to be a PT, if I was ready to go back to school (I’ve been out of school since 2014) and if I was aware of how hard Grad school would be. The only question related to the field she asked was to mention 3 different aspects of PT. There was no written sample. Good luck on your interview!

Last edited:
You have nothing to worry about they just want to know you as a person and find out what led you to this point and why you want to be a PT. This interview didn’t even feel like an interview at all. The session starts I believe at 10 and you could be there until 5 pm. You tour the campus and have plenty of time to talk to current students and faculty members.
I was the last person they interviewed that day and the whole thing lasted no more than 15 minutes. They pair you with a faculty member that doesn’t know anything about your or your application. She asked me why I wanted to go to UNE and what I liked about Portland Maine. She asked me about my background and why I wanted to be a PT, if I was ready to go back to school (I’ve been out of school since 2014) and if I was aware of how hard Grad school would be. The only question related to the field she asked was to mention 3 different aspects of PT. There was no written sample. Good luck on your interview!

Thank you so much! This was super helpful! Are you waiting to hear back from the school?

Thank you so much! This was super helpful! Are you waiting to hear back from the school?
You’re very welcome! I was actually placed on their waitlist 2 weeks after my interview back in Dec 8th and last Monday I received and acceptance letter. I put in my deposit last Friday and will be attending UNE this fall :)

You’re very welcome! I was actually placed on their waitlist 2 weeks after my interview back in Dec 8th and last Monday I received and acceptance letter. I put in my deposit last Friday and will be attending UNE this fall :)
Congrats!!! That's great to hear! If I get accepted I hope to join you in the fall! UNE is my first choice so I'm hoping for the best! :)

Congrats!!! That's great to hear! If I get accepted I hope to join you in the fall! UNE is my first choice so I'm hoping for the best! :)
I really hope you get accepted. I know there’s someone else in this forum who is also attending this Friday’s interview and he said he had called the school and they told him they still have spots available for the class of 2021.
UNE was also my first choice from the out of state schools I applied to. I only got accepted to one school from my home-state, which happens to be a private school with a higher tuition cost than UNE. I decided to pack my bags and leave Florida. I’ve lived here my entire life, so I’m very excited to experience something different. Do you live in Maine?

I really hope you get accepted. I know there’s someone else in this forum who is also attending this Friday’s interview and he said he had called the school and they told him they still have spots available for the class of 2021.
UNE was also my first choice from the out of state schools I applied to. I only got accepted to one school from my home-state, which happens to be a private school with a higher tuition cost than UNE. I decided to pack my bags and leave Florida. I’ve lived here my entire life, so I’m very excited to experience something different. Do you live in Maine?
Oh great then! I hope they have a spot for me then haha! Oh my goodness! I've lived in Florida all my life too! I recently moved to Texas to be closer to some family but I have family close to Maine! Where in Florida?

Oh great then! I hope they have a spot for me then haha! Oh my goodness! I've lived in Florida all my life too! I recently moved to Texas to be closer to some family but I have family close to Maine! Where in Florida?
I was born in Ocala but I’ve been living in Orlando for the past 10+ years. What about you?

I was born in Ocala but I’ve been living in Orlando for the past 10+ years. What about you?

Neat! I was raised in Naples and went to school at the University of Florida in Gainesville.