University of Illinois-CVM - Application C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopGun86

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Who else is applying to UI-CVM this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I am! Second time applying but my first time applying OOS. Fingers crossed.

Where else are you applying?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also applying! Just trying to get through finals and graduation in the next couple weeks, and then I'll full force be working on VMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)

Fighting evil by moonlight
Winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight
She is the one called...

Last edited:

Hey, I am a nontraditional student applying to the dual degree DVM/PhD program. I'm also applying to CSU-CVM, MSU-CVM, Cornell Vet Med, VMRCVM, WSU-CVM, and UW-CVM. I hope to get in this year because I didn't get in this past cycle ;(

I'm also applying! Just trying to get through finals and graduation in the next couple weeks, and then I'll full force be working on VMCAS
hope you'll get in this time around. Just don;t give up hope and good luck on finals

It warms my soul to see this. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying here as well! I hear that Illinois is holistic in their admission process and that they generally like non-traditional... hope this is true!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fighting evil by moonlight
Winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight
She is the one called...

Can we be friends! Sailor moon is my favorite!

I'm baaaaaack....I'll be applying here again this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Speaking as a non-traditional who was accepted to UIUC for c/o 2021, I can say that I appreciated their process. I didn't actually speak to anyone regarding my application though after I was accepted I REALLY wanted to (partly because I had convinced myself they had made a mistake until I got the letter w/ my net ID, etc. etc.) I'm 37 years old (about to turn 38), graduated UIUC from the theatre school in 2001. Spent my twenties and early thirties doing theatre gigs but spent most of my time working in the nonprofit sector on the development and program management side of things (arts education, college access). Then finally I was hired to run the adoption program at the Austin Humane Society and that changed my life. It made me remember the little girl who wanted to be a veterinarian but was too afraid to try. So when my husband and I moved to PA so he could work on his PhD at Penn State, I enrolled and started chipping away at my prerequisites while working part/full time at an animal hospital here in town. I started at the very bottom, as a kennel assistant basically and have worked my way up to running the in-house lab and performing many technician duties. It's been a slow and sometimes very difficult climb, but I did it. I even cried during my UIUC interview because I was so emotional (lol). If you're non-traditional I give you all my love and encouragement. If you really love this world and want to be in it, you can. I'm proof. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Also, side-note. My GPA wasn't stellar... I think at the time of application my overall undergraduate GPA was a 3.65 with my prereq GPA at about 3.47. My GRE I think ended up being about a 310 but I killed the writing portion. I had about 2000 animal experience hours from the humane society, about 2000 veterinary experience hours from assistant/technician work at the hospital, 1,500 from receptionist work at the hospital, about 20 animal experience hours working at the university dairy barn, 40 or so hours pet-sitting, and various other experiences... I even included my time skating with Texas Roller Derby because I was on the Board of Directors and it was a member-run organization. I think "holistic" is a great way to describe their evaluation - I didn't have the best grades, nor did I have any research or anything, but I think they valued my life experience & other things. :cat:

Last edited:
Best of luck to everyone! I graduated from UI CVM in May and I'm currently in my internship. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am most likely applying to Illinois this cycle. I was debating applying last year, but decided not to because I was unsure how the new curiculm would be. But now that I was only waitlisted for two schools this past cycle, I am interested in applying there. I know last year the essay was more of a research essay. This year it doesn't seem that way, but does anyone know if they are looking for sources or not? Thanks!

I am most likely applying to Illinois this cycle. I was debating applying last year, but decided not to because I was unsure how the new curiculm would be. But now that I was only waitlisted for two schools this past cycle, I am interested in applying there. I know last year the essay was more of a research essay. This year it doesn't seem that way, but does anyone know if they are looking for sources or not? Thanks!

Ooh what's the question this year? I'm curious.

Without seeing the question, all I can say is that if you use a source, definitely cite it. If it's a question that you can fully answer off the top of your head without any sources, that's okay too. But if you're using statistics/ideas/etc. from anything else, it's important to cite properly. Last year they were very generous with the character count so it wasn't a problem.

They've graduated a few classes on the new curriculum and have kept essentially the same retention rate and NAVLE scores, so you should be fine on that point. I applied here after two wait list positions at K-State. So good luck.

Ooh what's the question this year? I'm curious.

Without seeing the question, all I can say is that if you use a source, definitely cite it. If it's a question that you can fully answer off the top of your head without any sources, that's okay too. But if you're using statistics/ideas/etc. from anything else, it's important to cite properly. Last year they were very generous with the character count so it wasn't a problem.

Okay, thanks. I feel like the question last year was more research based, and now it doesn't necessarily have to be unless I did want to use stats etc. The question is...

Working dogs team up with police officers, firefighters, medics, search and rescue teams, military dog handlers and other canine handlers with special training to provide valuable service. Discuss the veterinary care these patients need and how they are different from the typical canine pet. What is the role of the veterinarian in providing training to the owners/handlers to provide care for these important animals?

They've graduated a few classes on the new curriculum and have kept essentially the same retention rate and NAVLE scores, so you should be fine on that point. I applied here after two wait list positions at K-State. So good luck.

Thanks, that is true. I just was not sure if the curriculum would be even more advanced there than at other vet schools. Of course I know either way vet school is no walk in the park, but I wasn't sure how the quarter system would be to adjust to.

Okay, thanks. I feel like the question last year was more research based, and now it doesn't necessarily have to be unless I did want to use stats etc. The question is...

Working dogs team up with police officers, firefighters, medics, search and rescue teams, military dog handlers and other canine handlers with special training to provide valuable service. Discuss the veterinary care these patients need and how they are different from the typical canine pet. What is the role of the veterinarian in providing training to the owners/handlers to provide care for these important animals?

Thanks, that is true. I just was not sure if the curriculum would be even more advanced there than at other vet schools. Of course I know either way vet school is no walk in the park, but I wasn't sure how the quarter system would be to adjust to.

Your question is so much more fun than last year's! Personally, I don't have experience with working dogs so I would definitely use some sources to back up my statements. If you do have a lot of experience or knowledge you'll be okay without sources, but I'd still recommend a few. One purpose of the essay is to make sure you can write at a college/post-college level, so it's good to show you understand how to appropriately use and cite sources. You definitely don't want to come across like you're just pulling things out of thin air or like you plagiarized by using but not citing sources.

Your question is so much more fun than last year's! Personally, I don't have experience with working dogs so I would definitely use some sources to back up my statements. If you do have a lot of experience or knowledge you'll be okay without sources, but I'd still recommend a few. One purpose of the essay is to make sure you can write at a college/post-college level, so it's good to show you understand how to appropriately use and cite sources. You definitely don't want to come across like you're just pulling things out of thin air or like you plagiarized by using but not citing sources.

I'm super jealous of their question!! Way better than last year's or my application year. We actually talked about this via animal welfare club this last fall.

I would still try to find some sources for this question for the very reason TrashPanda said. Show off your skills with research and writing. There's so much information out there in regards to this topic, you can really have fun with it. Go all out!

I'm super jealous of their question!! Way better than last year's or my application year. We actually talked about this via animal welfare club this last fall.

I would still try to find some sources for this question for the very reason TrashPanda said. Show off your skills with research and writing. There's so much information out there in regards to this topic, you can really have fun with it. Go all out!

Thanks guys for the feedback! I definitely think it is great topic with a lot of ways to go with it. That is very true about showing my skills and using sources and citations. I don't have much experience with service dogs either. I feel like I wouldn't necessarily have thought to use sources at first, since most of the essays don't allow for it in the character count. It will be a nice change to work on an essay and not worry as much about the character count and actually be able to explain and use examples. The Illinois essay may be better this year, but to me the VMCAS personal statement mini esssays are harder with their character count of only 1,000. It's so hard to explain anything within those limits.

190% agreed (was going for 100%, but my finger slipped and I'm too lazy to fix)

Reactions: 2 users
What would everyone consider to be too short for the U of I essay? I'm in this groove of getting right to tge point with my other essays I feel like I'm falling short...

What would everyone consider to be too short for the U of I essay? I'm in this groove of getting right to tge point with my other essays I feel like I'm falling short...

Mine was about a page and a half.

Good luck everyone. I'm currently a 4th year student so I can try to help with any questions you might have. Essays really shouldn't extend beyond a page and a half. They're not looking for a full report on the subject, but an articulate representation of your argument. Hope that helps.

Good luck everyone. I'm currently a 4th year student so I can try to help with any questions you might have. Essays really shouldn't extend beyond a page and a half. They're not looking for a full report on the subject, but an articulate representation of your argument. Hope that helps.
I wrote an article about working K9 lol

I had heard that Dr. Foreman helps students by looking over their application and offering suggestions. I scheduled to do so and drove several hours to meet with him since it is my IS school. He was extremely rude, disrespectful, and would not look at any of the materials I brought, or answer my questions. Due to this behavior I have decided I will not be applying to IL and will take on even more debt by attending an OS school. I wish you all the best with applying this cycle. Take care.

I had heard that Dr. Foreman helps students by looking over their application and offering suggestions. I scheduled to do so and drove several hours to meet with him since it is my IS school. He was extremely rude, disrespectful, and would not look at any of the materials I brought, or answer my questions. Due to this behavior, I have decided I will not be applying to IL and will take on even more debt by attending an OS school. I wish you all the best with applying this cycle. Take care.

I am so sorry to hear that! I know it can be frustrating. It makes my heart ache to hear stories like yours. I have had a similar experience with a few schools and that JUST sucks! Apply to Michigan State and Virginia Tech The staffs are EXTREMELY nice and supportive!

That's certainly not characteristic of Dr. Foreman. He may have been reluctant on giving you a definitive answer depending on the question. He's not going to tell you you'll for sure get in, as an example. He's a straightforward man, definitely, but I've never had an issue with him being out right rude before.

I had heard that Dr. Foreman helps students by looking over their application and offering suggestions. I scheduled to do so and drove several hours to meet with him since it is my IS school. He was extremely rude, disrespectful, and would not look at any of the materials I brought, or answer my questions. Due to this behavior I have decided I will not be applying to IL and will take on even more debt by attending an OS school. I wish you all the best with applying this cycle. Take care.

I am so sorry to hear that! I know it can be frustrating. It makes my heart ache to hear stories like yours. I have had a similar experience with a few schools and that JUST sucks! Apply to Michigan State and Virginia Tech The staffs are EXTREMELY nice and supportive!

I don't wish to fill the forum with negativity but I can send you a message about it.

Last edited:
Everything turned in for my U of I app! Heres to waiting and wishing everyone good luck :luck:

Ugh I'm sorry. I wouldn't take it personally at all and I know that it doesn't reflect well on the school when he acts like that. If it is any consolation, you're not the first person who has said this about him and it's certainly no reflection on you or your application. Just my opinion, but him being an ass is no reason to put yourself in double the debt. You have next to no interaction with him save for a few classes unless you're an equine person.
See, and here I am still bitter about the way Michigan State treated me during my prevet years there lol.

Reactions: 2 users

Their new curriculum has increased their application pool by about 300 new applicants since the c/o 2020 admission cycle. I think it is both effective for prepping students to pass their exams and succeed as doctors. Last years essay was about disease and genetic modification. There was no specific prompt to include sources, that being said...if you are citing specific information outside of common knowledge (of the people reading the essay, not just anybody) you better be able to back it up! good luck!

Hello, everyone! I'm late to the game, but I hope that the VMCAS went well for everyone. I'm a current first year at UIUC, in-stater. So I'll try to be around a bit more often than I have been to field questions and hang out with you guys, along with bats, pinkpuppy, and all the other regulars.

Speaking as a non-traditional...
Decided to log into SDN for the first time in a month.... realized that I interacted with my current lab partner before ever being accepted. Hey, lady. :) Also, everyone... if Shelter comes back around ever, she's basically the best and you all should love her. ((And I also think I know who TrashPanda is too))

----
On that note, I kind of feel like the forum in general is so much more barren than it was for my cycle, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

Hello, everyone! I'm late to the game, but I hope that the VMCAS went well for everyone. I'm a current first year at UIUC, in-stater. So I'll try to be around a bit more often than I have been to field questions and hang out with you guys, along with bats, pinkpuppy, and all the other regulars.

Decided to log into SDN for the first time in a month.... realized that I interacted with my current lab partner before ever being accepted. Hey, lady. :) Also, everyone... if Shelter comes back around ever, she's basically the best and you all should love her. ((And I also think I know who TrashPanda is too))

----
On that note, I kind of feel like the forum in general is so much more barren than it was for my cycle, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

There are so many UIUC people on here now! I only know who PP is.

There are so many UIUC people on here now! I only know who PP is.
And now we get to see each other in the WMC all the time :D

Although I'm a little salty that you didn't end up on my team...

That was very specifically done on my part. Someone on your team really doesn't like me. Lol.

But you were right! Should've joined WMC way sooner! Love it!

(Lol they extended the deadline because hurricanes so it doesn't close til the 29th now:p)

Doesn't @TrashPanda go to UC Davis? :oops:
I was very, very wrong in my guess haha. Sooo I actually dunno who TrashPanda is.... ESPECIALLY if they're a UC Davis person. And in regards to the VMCAS, I guess you guys can tell that I've been out of the loop for a while haha. Man, between ours being extended for GRE mishaps, and now this year... not doing so well lately.

Oh crap who are youuuu. I'm at WMC too.

That was very specifically done on my part. Someone on your team really doesn't like me. Lol.

But you were right! Should've joined WMC way sooner! Love it!
Ah. I see. Good call on your part then :p
I was very, very wrong in my guess haha. Sooo I actually dunno who TrashPanda is.... ESPECIALLY if they're a UC Davis person. And in regards to the VMCAS, I guess you guys can tell that I've been out of the loop for a while haha. Man, between ours being extended for GRE mishaps, and now this year... not doing so well lately.

Oh crap who are youuuu. I'm at WMC too.
I prefer to stay anonymous honestly, especially after trash talking our school on here on occasion :laugh:

I did not see a thread for this class, please link and correct me if I am mistaken.

Anyone else applying to U-Illinios UC this cycle?

did anyone receive an email or notification that they received all your materials?

did anyone receive an email or notification that they received all your materials?
Those are supposed to go out mid to late December.
I don't think I heard anything last year until mid-December when they emailed saying I had advanced to phase 2 and needed fall transcripts to be sent. Then heard mid to late January about interviews. The goal was mid Jan, but there was a lot of changes in their staff in the admin office and so we heard back a little later about interviews because they still were trying to get 3rd and 4th years scheduled or something like that.