University of Illinois c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the OOS alternate list this morning! Wahoo!!!!!! :soexcited::clap::biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I apologize for interrupting the alt list celebrations, but can any of the current students floating around in here give us an idea of how attainable scholarships are in your second year? I know they're not accessible at most vet schools (including Illinois) until second year, but how many are there, and what are the chances of getting one?

Trying to get an idea of what my finances might be looking like for the next few years, haha

Reactions: 2 users
I apologize for interrupting the alt list celebrations, but can any of the current students floating around in here give us an idea of how attainable scholarships are in your second year? I know they're not accessible at most vet schools (including Illinois) until second year, but how many are there, and what are the chances of getting one?

Trying to get an idea of what my finances might be looking like for the next few years, haha
I could talk for hours on this...

They are accessible to first years, but the vast majority of worthy applicants won't see a dime, regardless of your year. The majority of internal scholarships are need-based and many are reserved for IS students or students from specific counties in Illinois.

I have tried for multiple both my first and second year and didn't get any. I know worthy people who have applied for 30ish of the scholarships offered to just our school and haven't gotten any either year, and I proofread their essays and was really impressed.

On the other hand, I know people who have gotten multiple each year (both internal and external) and both island students who transferred into my class just this year got scholarships. I know people who have federal grants or have parents paying part or 100% of their tuition (aka less or no financial need) that have gotten internal scholarships. No one really knows how recipients are selected. Sorry to be cynical, that just turned into a small rant :laugh:

Upperclassmen will always have more financial need than the first years just because they've got more debt. It is definitely possible to get a scholarship even as a first year (I know a girl who got multiple as a first year, and she got all of the big scholarships), but again it's hard to determine your chances. It does seem that the more involved you are with faculty/the more who know you, the better the chances of you getting one. The scholarship committee is made up of faculty, so if they can put a face to the name, it probably helps you out a lot.

Long story short: You definitely can be awarded a scholarship, but in no way would I count on getting one as part of your way to pay for school if that makes sense.

ETA: But just to really give you a good idea, only 6 or so first years got any sort of scholarship last year, and some of those were just being the top 2-3 accepted IS students GPA-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to over 25 of the scholarships available to us 1st transitioning to 2nd years and didn't get a d**n one.

This is certainly a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" situation. Plan on not getting a cent from the school so that if you do, it's a happy surprise.

Do first years apply for scholarships or are they awarded without student input?

Also, @pinkpuppy9 if you could PM me, I have some additional questions for you. :) Your profile is limited so I don't think I can PM you first.
(I think if you click on her name in-thread there's a start a convo button without having to go to her profile. Or if you go to your inbox, there should also be a start a new convo button and you can just type her username in :))

(I think if you click on her name in-thread there's a start a convo button without having to go to her profile. Or if you go to your inbox, there should also be a start a new convo button and you can just type her username in :))
Lol I clicked on her prof pic, not her name. Thank you.

I applied to over 25 of the scholarships available to us 1st transitioning to 2nd years and didn't get a d**n one.

This is certainly a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" situation. Plan on not getting a cent from the school so that if you do, it's a happy surprise.
Honestly, I hate sounding like a whiner (I am salty, though :p) but I do question how they decide who gets what.
Do first years apply for scholarships or are they awarded without student input?
You apply. You will get an email sometime in late November alerting you that the scholarship apps are open and where to go to see what's available. They all require essays. There are some that don't require an application (the student is nominated), but those are usually given to fourth years on clinics. First years only qualify for a handful of those.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I hate sounding like a whiner (I am salty, though :p) but I do question how they decide who gets what.

I'm salty about a lot of things right now. What's one more? Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Especially when it overlaps with the midterm material :rolleyes:
Has he told you how dumb he thinks you all are yet? But we're smarter than the med students. :rofl:For incoming students, he's a med school teacher we borrow ONLY for renal phys. You will hate it, but I promise 2nd year will teach you better. We've tried to get rid of him but no one else wants to cover the material. It's frustrating for all involved, but survivable.

Has he told you how dumb he thinks you all are yet? But we're smarter than the med students. :rofl:For incoming students, he's a med school teacher we borrow ONLY for renal phys. You will hate it, but I promise 2nd year will teach you better. We've tried to get rid of him but no one else wants to cover the material. It's frustrating for all involved, but survivable.

We struggled with yesterday's quiz and he kept repeating that he wrote easy questions and doesn't understand why we struggled.

Pro--trip future first years: don't change the midterm dates, no matter what holidays it falls on.

Apparently he 'retired' from the med school

I'm sure that this has already been discussed, but any housing tips? Looking for a 1BR with a cat somewhere near campus, and also asking for advice because I feel like it's a little last minute! Thanks!

I'm sure that this has already been discussed, but any housing tips? Looking for a 1BR with a cat somewhere near campus, and also asking for advice because I feel like it's a little last minute! Thanks!

Definitely not last minute. There's still people on the class of 2021 Facebook page trying to get their rooms filled.

Just FYI, I was able to schedule a file review by phone with Dr. Foreman for next week. Not sure if this means that they've finished calling people on the waitlist or not? But if anyone is curious and wants to schedule one of their own, I did so via email.

Just FYI, I was able to schedule a file review by phone with Dr. Foreman for next week. Not sure if this means that they've finished calling people on the waitlist or not? But if anyone is curious and wants to schedule one of their own, I did so via email.

We just finished up our equine elective with him today, so that's a good point! Call away, guys!!

(I'm in way too positive of a mood right now seeing as the final is next week)

Incoming students, I have a friend who is desperately trying to get rid of a lease. There's nothing wrong with the place she signed for, but the story is that her current home was supposed to be sold/no longer available to rent and that didn't end up happening and she doesn't want to move. Please message me for more info.

If any incoming first years have any questions, let me know! I am going to be a second year and I know I had a bunch of q's around this time before starting first year!

If any incoming first years have any questions, let me know! I am going to be a second year and I know I had a bunch of q's around this time before starting first year!
Hey, thanks! I know this topic has been discussed on the Facebook group but not here yet... Any thoughts on electives for first year? I signed up for the 2 credit hour research elective (I believe). What did you do and what did others do? I have to admit, the other two electives aren't enticing me.

Also, has everyone already received their aid letters? I'm still waiting for mine. I know it's only end of May...

Hey, thanks! I know this topic has been discussed on the Facebook group but not here yet... Any thoughts on electives for first year? I signed up for the 2 credit hour research elective (I believe). What did you do and what did others do? I have to admit, the other two electives aren't enticing me.

Also, has everyone already received their aid letters? I'm still waiting for mine. I know it's only end of May...

I didn't take any electives first quarter. I took the FARMs and equine electives third and fourth quarter. If zoo med and the other one aren't appealing, I would just do the one you're already signed up for. You need eight by the time you hit form quarter of third year, so you've got plenty of time.

You could probably give ASA a call about your financial aid and see what they say

Just wondering, has anyone who was initially waitlisted heard anything from ASA? I've been keeping in touch with them but haven't received any emails about how to register for classes, etc. They deposited my check so I'm not ~too~ worried... I'm sort of thinking that I might not be on the email list because I wasn't admitted right away, but if anyone else could confirm it would really ease my nerves! I'm going to call them, but given the holiday tomorrow I just thought that I would check on here :)

Do the blue coat sizes run a little big?

Just wondering, has anyone who was initially waitlisted heard anything from ASA? I've been keeping in touch with them but haven't received any emails about how to register for classes, etc. They deposited my check so I'm not ~too~ worried... I'm sort of thinking that I might not be on the email list because I wasn't admitted right away, but if anyone else could confirm it would really ease my nerves! I'm going to call them, but given the holiday tomorrow I just thought that I would check on here :)

They just sent out an email a couple of days ago saying the student IDs are still being created for people admitted off the waitlist. So I think they are still working on it! I would not worry about it if your check is deposited.

They are also trying to figure out the situation for those who may be joining you guys from 2020. I imagine they'll try to have the class finalized and taken care of by the end of the month.

Hi everyone! :) I noticed that scrubs are not allowed to have any logos on them. I figured that refers to clinic names and such, but does that also apply to a manufacturer's logo, like Carhartt or Dickies? It's just the small symbol on the end of a sleeve. There are some at my local farm store and I just wanted to make sure that's ok.

Hi everyone! :) I noticed that scrubs are not allowed to have any logos on them. I figured that refers to clinic names and such, but does that also apply to a manufacturer's logo, like Carhartt or Dickies? It's just the small symbol on the end of a sleeve. There are some at my local farm store and I just wanted to make sure that's ok.

That's totally fine. They're pretty much referring to logos for other clinics.

Thanks! I got that email. I finally got it all squared away. I hadn't seen that email before I called them, but now I am all set!!

Thread's at 999 replies and I just really wanted to push it over to 1000 so enjoy this fun stock photo

stock-photo-a-cat-looks-like-a-big-hairy-snake-there-is-its-cub-in-a-egg-near-it-478926145.jpg

Reactions: 4 users