University of Houston 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I could start this thread. Good luck guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I did! You as well? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes :). But I'm a little bit worried because though my composite PCAT score is 95%, the Reading part is only 20%-ish. So I wonder if I should retake it :(

I don't think it matters. Your composite is stellar compared to mine!! I got 29% in reading. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Good Luck to all those applying this year. I'm a PharmD student here at UH and will be starting in a few weeks as a P1. If there are any questions you might have with the application or anything for that matter, I would be glad to try and answer them for y'all.

Hey guys! Good Luck to all those applying this year. I'm a PharmD student here at UH and will be starting in a few weeks as a P1. If there are any questions you might have with the application or anything for that matter, I would be glad to try and answer them for y'all.
Wow, thank you so much! I heard the interview is the most important part of the application, is this true? Congrats on starting pharm school!! :D

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Does it matter if you submit through pharmcas first or turn in the supplemental app first?

I submitted the PharmCas app first, then the supplemental app just hours later lol

Wow, thank you so much! I heard the interview is the most important part of the application, is this true? Congrats on starting pharm school!! :

The interview is a very important part, but I believe UH admission committee does a great job of looking at your application as a whole. Obviously you want to nail the interview and stand out, but all facets of your application are important.

I will say however, if your GPA is lower than the average, you will want to beef up you application with a solid PCAT score and vise versa.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I submitted the PharmCas app first, then the supplemental app just hours later lol

I think I did the supplemental first, then PharmCas, but I don't think it matters. As long as you do them both

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! I'm applying to UH COP too! Good luck to y'all!!

Hi 72ambo! Congratulations! And thanks for coming back to help us.

Do you know if anyone got in last cycle with a decent composite PCAT but low individual scores? It is stated on UH website that you need to have >75% on each sub-test to be competitive so I'm kinda worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi 72ambo! Congratulations! And thanks for coming back to help us.

Do you know if anyone got in last cycle with a decent composite PCAT but low individual scores? It is stated on UH website that you need to have >75% on each sub-test to be competitive so I'm kinda worried.

Don't be worried, as long as you have a competitive composite score you should be ok.

Trying to apply ED as well. Good luck!

Hello, I have recently graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in Biochemistry.
I want to pursue my career in pharmacy as it has been my dream since I was 13 years old. I recently took the July 22 PCAT exam and earned the following scores:

Writing - 2.5
Biological Processes - 82
Chemical Processes - 99
Critical Reading - 23
Quantitative Reasoning - 47
Composite 77

My Overall GPA is: 3.169
Major (Biochem) GPA: 3.35
Avg. Pre-Req Math/Science GPA: 2.89
Avg. Pre-Req Overall GPA: 3.14

I have 1.5 years of experience at CVS Pharmacy.
I am PTCB certified and Texas State Board of Pharmacy Certified.
I have over 350+ volunteering hours at church that I have been going to off and on for about 7 years (does this count)

Do you think I would be granted an interview?
Or potentially even be accepted?
Should I retake the PCAT exam, given the scores I have?

Hello, I have recently graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in Biochemistry.
I want to pursue my career in pharmacy as it has been my dream since I was 13 years old. I recently took the July 22 PCAT exam and earned the following scores:

Writing - 2.5
Chemical Processes - 99
Critical Reading - 23
Composite 77

I have over 350+ volunteering hours at church that I have been going to off and on for about 7 years (does this count)

Hello!
Your PCAT is considered competitive, so I think you should get an interview at the very least.
Good luck!

Hi! I'm a college senior who applied to UHCOP ED last week.
How many weeks did you wait before you got an interview offer?
Did you apply for ED as well?

Not yet, still waiting :/ But I did apply regular decision so I'll probably have to wait for the ED applicants for their interview invites first.

Hey everyone! I'm also a P1 at UHCOP this year and I'm excited that you all are applying here! I'll try to help out and answer your questions as best as I can.

Hi! I'm a college senior who applied to UHCOP ED last week.
How many weeks did you wait before you got an interview offer?
Did you apply for ED as well?

I don't remember the exact dates, but I got an invite for the ED interview on September 4 and I think my last letter of recommendation was submitted just a week or so before that. If you applied ED, you will probably be getting an invite soon!

Writing - 2.5
Chemical Processes - 99
Critical Reading - 23
Composite 77

Hey! I definitely think you'll be offered an interview, especially since you have experience in a pharmacy and so many volunteer hours. Your composite PCAT score is still pretty good so I wouldn't worry about retaking it. Just make sure you shine at your interview to balance out the areas in which you may be less competitive! :)

I don't remember the exact dates, but I got an invite for the ED interview on September 4 and I think my last letter of recommendation was submitted just a week or so before that. You all should be getting invites soon!

My last LOR was submitted exactly a week ago! LOL! Hopefully I hear from them soon! :D

I just received an interview offer for September 30th!

Congratulations! I got my invitation today for Sep 30th too. Hope to see you on that day. ;)

Hi 72ambo and ennzee, how are your first 3 weeks in pharmacy school?

Do you mind sharing some experiences and tips for the interview? It's said that for the group interview, we are given a topic to work on. Is it like we work together to come up with solutions for a case or situation relating to pharmacy?[/USER][/USER]

Last edited:
Received mine as well for the 30th!

Congraz! See you on Sep 30th too. I think we'll all have the same interview time on that day.

Thanks! Congrats as well!
I hope it's in the morning. I have an exam that Friday in the afternoon and I really don't want to switch my date. Haha

Congrats guys! I'm super excited for y'all!! Did you guys get emailed about the interview? Just so I know what to expect if I get an invitation for an interview as well. I applied regular, but I'm hoping I don't have to wait too much longer haha.

Congrats guys! I'm super excited for y'all!! Did you guys get emailed about the interview? Just so I know what to expect if I get an invitation for an interview as well. I applied regular, but I'm hoping I don't have to wait too much longer haha.

Thank you! Yes, they will send you an invitation via email. Just keep calm and wait. ;)

Thanks! Congrats as well!
I hope it's in the morning. I have an exam that Friday in the afternoon and I really don't want to switch my date. Haha

Mine is 11:30 am. I suppose there is only afternoon interview shift because they will have testing in the morning.

Mine is 11:30 am. I suppose there is only afternoon interview shift because they will have testing in the morning.
Oh ok, wasn't aware of this. Mine is at the same time! See you then!

I also got an invitation for Sept. 30 interview! See y'all there!

I also got an interview for the 7th!!

Hey guys, so I have a question. After receiving the interview invitation email, I responded and said I would be able to attend. They then said they'd be emailing additional info. I confirmed 2 days ago and still haven't received the second email that gives info about the pharmacy. Is that typical, or should I call them and ask them to send it? Thanks!

Hey guys, so I have a question. After receiving the interview invitation email, I responded and said I would be able to attend. They then said they'd be emailing additional info. I confirmed 2 days ago and still haven't received the second email that gives info about the pharmacy. Is that typical, or should I call them and ask them to send it? Thanks!

I responded on Tuesday to their invitation email. And when I didn't get a response, I sent them another email this morning. I finally got the email about 10 minutes ago. I have questions about it :/ They'll be sending you over a 6 page questionnaire that you have to answer more questions regarding yourself. The only problem I have is that they didn't enter the due date for it. It just says it's due 12:00 pm (NOON) central time, but no date. I think you should wait a little bit longer, maybe until tomorrow afternoon since it seems like they might be a bit behind. Once you do get it, please let me know if you have the due date on the questions.

Or if anyone else who has their interview, if you could please let me know when it's due. Thanks everyone!

[EDIT: Nevermind! Ms. Ely sent a revised email with the due date of 9/28/16.]

Last edited:
I responded on Tuesday to their invitation email. And when I didn't get a response, I sent them another email this morning. I finally got the email about 10 minutes ago. I have questions about it :/ They'll be sending you over a 6 page questionnaire that you have to answer more questions regarding yourself. The only problem I have is that they didn't enter the due date for it. It just says it's due 12:00 pm (NOON) central time, but no date. I think you should wait a little bit longer, maybe until tomorrow afternoon since it seems like they might be a bit behind. Once you do get it, please let me know if you have the due date on the questions.

Or if anyone else who has their interview, if you could please let me know when it's due. Thanks everyone!

[EDIT: Nevermind! Ms. Ely sent a revised email with the due date of 9/28/16.]
I just got mine too, thanks for answering!! When are you interviewing?

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an interview so far! I'm so excited for y'all! For those of you who are waiting to hear back, don't worry, there is still plenty of time. :) So basically here is a rundown of what your interview day will look like. Make sure you arrive ON TIME to the TMC campus - do not be late! When you enter the building, you'll sign in and receive a folder with your schedule for the day in it. There are three main parts of the interview day: individual interview, teamwork exercise, and pharmacy connection. In your individual interview, you will be interviewed by 2 faculty members (or possibly a P4 student or resident). There are lots of sample interview questions on this forum that you can look up and brainstorm answers for. Obviously you can't be prepared for every question they might ask you, but it's good to have an idea of what you could possibly say! If you aren't able to think of an answer to a question, you can always ask the interviewer to come back to it later. Secondly, the teamwork exercise is exactly what it sounds like - you will be given an exercise to work on with a group of other interviewees and you will be evaluated on your teamwork and problem-solving skills. This was actually really fun and a lot of people's favorite part of the interview day. Take it seriously but still enjoy it! Lastly, pharmacy connection is when you'll have a chance to hang out and talk to the other interviewees as well as current P1 students and have all your questions answered relating to pharmacy school, classes, extracurriculars, housing, etc. A lot of P1's are excited to meet you guys and want to make your interview day as relaxed as possible, so don't be scared to talk to us! Let me know if you guys have any more questions. Wishing you all the best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an interview so far! I'm so excited for y'all! For those of you who are waiting to hear back, don't worry, there is still plenty of time. :) So basically here is a rundown of what your interview day will look like. Make sure you arrive ON TIME to the TMC campus - do not be late! When you enter the building, you'll sign in and receive a folder with your schedule for the day in it. There are three main parts of the interview day: individual interview, teamwork exercise, and pharmacy connection. In your individual interview, you will be interviewed by 2 faculty members (or possibly a P4 student or resident). There are lots of sample interview questions on this forum that you can look up and brainstorm answers for. Obviously you can't be prepared for every question they might ask you, but it's good to have an idea of what you could possibly say! If you aren't able to think of an answer to a question, you can always ask the interviewer to come back to it later. Secondly, the teamwork exercise is exactly what it sounds like - you will be given an exercise to work on with a group of other interviewees and you will be evaluated on your teamwork and problem-solving skills. This was actually really fun and a lot of people's favorite part of the interview day. Take it seriously but still enjoy it! Lastly, pharmacy connection is when you'll have a chance to hang out and talk to the other interviewees as well as current P1 students and have all your questions answered relating to pharmacy school, classes, extracurriculars, housing, etc. A lot of P1's are excited to meet you guys and want to make your interview day as relaxed as possible, so don't be scared to talk to us! Let me know if you guys have any more questions. Wishing you all the best of luck!
Thanks for the information @ennzee ! It all really helps! I had a quick question about the questionnaire that we're required to submit before the interview. How do the interviewers use the information provided in the questionnaires? Do the interviewers ask questions based off our answers? Is it to evaluate written communication skills? Are they read very critically (I'm not the best at grammar)? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the information @ennzee ! It all really helps! I had a quick question about the questionnaire that we're required to submit before the interview. How do the interviewers use the information provided in the questionnaires? Do the interviewers ask questions based off our answers? Is it to evaluate written communication skills? Are they read very critically (I'm not the best at grammar)? Thanks again for your help!

I honestly don't know the answer to that - they never tell us how they use the questionnaire! Just answer the questions to the best of your ability and possibly have someone look over it to correct any grammatical errors :)

Thank you so much for your sharing Ennzee! Will you be there on Sep 30?

By the way, do you know approximately how many questions that will be asked in the individual section? I heard that the interviewers will also write down my answers for the Adcom. So I don't know how long my response for a question should be. And how would it affect if I couldn't answer all of the questions?

Hey guys, how long are y'alls responses for the pre-questionnaire? I'm not sure if I should add more to my responses or not..

Hey guys, how long are y'alls responses for the pre-questionnaire? I'm not sure if I should add more to my responses or not..

It depends, but don't write too short. Mine is at least 1/2 of the responding space for each question. But some are 2/3 or nearly full of the box.

Also got my invitation to interview next friday. Ill see you guys there!

Thank you so much for your sharing Ennzee! Will you be there on Sep 30?

By the way, do you know approximately how many questions that will be asked in the individual section? I heard that the interviewers will also write down my answers for the Adcom. So I don't know how long my response for a question should be. And how would it affect if I couldn't answer all of the questions?

I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier! But yes, as you probably noticed, the interviewers write down your answers and the admissions committee will review them as part of their decision. As long as your responses answered the questions efficiently, I'm sure you'll be just fine. I hope your interview went well and you enjoyed the day!

To all of the Sept. 30th interviewers - yay, you survived! I hope it wasn't as nerve-wrecking as you thought it would be :) unfortunately, I wasn't there so I didn't get to see all you awesome people but I will be at the October 7th interview! Looking forward to meeting some of y'all! We're almost done with our first round of exams so I'll try to remember and check here more often to answer your questions.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier! But yes, as you probably noticed, the interviewers write down your answers and the admissions committee will review them as part of their decision. As long as your responses answered the questions efficiently, I'm sure you'll be just fine. I hope your interview went well and you enjoyed the day!

Thank you! I felt much better than what I thought yesterday. But for the individual part, we ran out of time so my interviewers skipped some questions. I don't know how much it would hurt me :(

I think I did my best anyway. So now let's just wait patiently until Oct 21st.

Good luck to anyone who's gonna interview later!