University of Hawaii Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UH Psych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

I wanted to introduce our program's joint SDN account with this general information thread. We hope to engage the SDN community and answer as many questions as we can regarding our program for the years to come.

As a current resident, I will be primarily responding to posts, private messages, and other inquiries. If there are questions beyond my scope, I'll be happy to bring it to the faculty and administration to find out more. As a long time user of SDN, I understand how useful this place can be for information especially during application season so I hope to be of use.

With that said, here is a link to our website for more information. Thanks and I look forward to talk with you all.

http://www.hawaiiresidency.org/psychiatry-residency/psychiatry-residency-home

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Aloha everyone,

I wanted to introduce our program's joint SDN account with this general information thread. We hope to engage the SDN community and answer as many questions as we can regarding our program for the years to come.

As a current resident, I will be primarily responding to posts, private messages, and other inquiries. If there are questions beyond my scope, I'll be happy to bring it to the faculty and administration to find out more. As a long time user of SDN, I understand how useful this place can be for information especially during application season so I hope to be of use.

With that said, here is a link to our website for more information. Thanks and I look forward to talk with you all.

http://www.hawaiiresidency.org/psychiatry-residency/psychiatry-residency-home
Hello. I am extremely interested in your psychiatry residency program. Its actually the first place I would like to go. However I am An IMG and even though i have great step scores I know that hinders my chances of interviewing. I was just wondering if invitations have been sent out yet?

Hello. I am extremely interested in your psychiatry residency program. Its actually the first place I would like to go. However I am An IMG and even though i have great step scores I know that hinders my chances of interviewing. I was just wondering if invitations have been sent out yet?

Hello there,

Thanks for your interest. As you can see from our residents in the program, IMGs are welcome with the right qualifications. I can't really elaborate more on that personally, but to make it simple, the program looks at all applications and gives everyone a chance. Invitations have also been sent out as I have signed up for a few interview dinners but I presume there are more to be sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aloha!
I was looking at the website and I couldn't get a clear sense of how much call/night float there is. How intense is it?
Also what is the intern year set up ie how much inpatient neuro and medicine and how is the call for those months?
Thanks so much.

Aloha!
I was looking at the website and I couldn't get a clear sense of how much call/night float there is. How intense is it?
Also what is the intern year set up ie how much inpatient neuro and medicine and how is the call for those months?
Thanks so much.

Aloha!

Here is the breakdown of call/night float at our program:

PGY-1: 6 weeks of NF, buddy call. 5 days on, 2 days off. You will be with an upper at all times. There are no other night shifts outside of this. Hours are 4:30pm to 4:30am for each day on.

PGY-2: 4 weeks of NF, 8 days of call. Each NF and call day is 8pm to 8am. No 24 hour shifts; after every Sunday call, you get that day off.

PGY-3: 3 weeks of NF, 6 days of call. Same conditions as PGY-2.

PGY-4: 2 weeks of NF, 4 days of call. Same conditions as PGY-2.

This is for the entire academic year for each PGY class. As you can see, our program spreads out the NF/call throughout the entire time, making each year extremely manageable. Also, there is an added benefit of no 24 hour shifts for any year.

NF/call covers all of the units but the primary responsibility is The Queen's Medical Center ED in Honolulu.

The website is still under construction but we hope to update it soon with more specifics like this. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks! That was incredibly helpful.
I was also wondering what intern year is like on the months you are not on Psych. How much time do you spend on different services and how is the call for nonpsych months?

Thanks! That was incredibly helpful.
I was also wondering what intern year is like on the months you are not on Psych. How much time do you spend on different services and how is the call for nonpsych months?

Oh I apologize; I missed the second part.

For intern year, you essentially are integrated to the other services. You will follow their schedule and their didactics, as if you were an intern in that department . You will not be on call as there is no call for intern year. All night shifts are restricted to your night float time.

Carlton is the one and only reason anyone needs to justify training in this program.

Dr. Carlton is great to work with. I had him as an attending for 2 months adult inpatient and he was my therapy supervisor for all of 2nd year.

Thanks for all of this information! M4 here, aspiring psychiatry resident, very interested in the UH-JABSOM program. I was wondering what the policy is with regards to residents moonlighting. Thanks in advance!

Is it true there are no moonlighting opportunities at this program? I guess I would ask how residents do with the high COL?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true there are no moonlighting opportunities at this program? I guess I would ask how residents do with the high COL?

I second the question about high CoL and from a quick online search, not very many options on the market. I'm very interested in this program but have concerns about being able to afford something that isn't falling down on my family and I.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Aloha!

I very much look forward to applying to your program in several months! So excited!

Just re-asking this question from before. What is the policy with regards to residents moonlighting?

Also, what does psychotherapy training entail and what kind of supervision is there for psychotherapy?

Thanks so much!

Aloha!

I very much look forward to applying to your program in several months! So excited!

Just re-asking this question from before. What is the policy with regards to residents moonlighting?

Also, what does psychotherapy training entail and what kind of supervision is there for psychotherapy?

Thanks so much!

Hi there, I apologize for the lack of activity recently. The new year has been a busy one but recruitment season is nearing so I plan to be more available.

1. We do not have moonlighting available at our program at this time. There are significant efforts now at GMEC to discuss this now so it could change in the next two years but as of now, we are not allowed to moonlight.

2. Psychotherapy begins 2nd year with a half day a week clinic. You carry 2-3 patients long term for a long as you wish (into 3rd-4th year) at our local clinic Queen's Counseling Services.
2nd year also has the starting psychotherapy didactics and video review. QCS has all video recorded rooms (all pts sign consent to be recorded) that can be saved and brought to didactics for review. 3rd year has more formal didactics with readings and further video analysis and techniques.

Hope that answers your questions!

Hi there, I apologize for the lack of activity recently. The new year has been a busy one but recruitment season is nearing so I plan to be more available.

1. We do not have moonlighting available at our program at this time. There are significant efforts now at GMEC to discuss this now so it could change in the next two years but as of now, we are not allowed to moonlight.

2. Psychotherapy begins 2nd year with a half day a week clinic. You carry 2-3 patients long term for a long as you wish (into 3rd-4th year) at our local clinic Queen's Counseling Services.
2nd year also has the starting psychotherapy didactics and video review. QCS has all video recorded rooms (all pts sign consent to be recorded) that can be saved and brought to didactics for review. 3rd year has more formal didactics with readings and further video analysis and techniques.

Hope that answers your questions!
This is great. Thank you so much!

I appreciate the efforts happening at GMEC regarding the discussion of moonlighting.

Psychotherapy training and feedback seem to be robust. Sounds great!

From reading your residency program's website, it all sounds very exciting and interesting, personally. If you had to summarize the "culture" of your residency program/residents, may I ask, how you would do so?

Culture tends to be more community oriented, both through the residents and the patient population. I personally feel it is very focused on resident well being and helping each other. We spend a lot of time with each other in events and enjoying the island, so that would be more the family type of culture.

To answer an earlier question, cost of living is always an issue and one of the biggest flaws of the program, even if we obtain moonlighting. We recently got a raise by about $3000 to the total salary for all classes to be a bit more competitive, but it will always be a point of discussion. As a single person, it has not been difficult to enjoy life here and pay my loans via IBR, but I understand it may not be possible for some applicants and families.

Culture tends to be more community oriented, both through the residents and the patient population. I personally feel it is very focused on resident well being and helping each other. We spend a lot of time with each other in events and enjoying the island, so that would be more the family type of culture.

To answer an earlier question, cost of living is always an issue and one of the biggest flaws of the program, even if we obtain moonlighting. We recently got a raise by about $3000 to the total salary for all classes to be a bit more competitive, but it will always be a point of discussion. As a single person, it has not been difficult to enjoy life here and pay my loans via IBR, but I understand it may not be possible for some applicants and families.
Thank you very much for answering my questions! I love that the feel is very focused on resident well being and helping each other/community. And also that there is a value on resident events and enjoying the island. I'm glad to hear that it is possible to enjoy oneself without much difficulty even while paying loans. This all has definitely piqued my interest, and I look forward to applying!

Do most of the residents plan to stay and work in the islands after residency? As someone with ties to Hawaii, that aspect greatly appeals to me.

Also, could you elaborate a little bit on the teaching and didactics?

How realistic is it for an AMG to match there without any ties to the state of Hawaii?

How realistic is it for an AMG to match there without any ties to the state of Hawaii?
Hey there, sorry about the late reply.

Having ties in Hawaii is a bonus but far from a requirement. My current class has 6 residents and only 1 is from Hawaii. The others have no connections to Hawaii. We focus on fit being personality and engagement, not things that are out of the applicant's control. That said, it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with Hawaii purely for practical reasons. We don't want anyone to regret their decision to match here. This really can go for any program, but yes, being on a rock in the middle of the Pacific can be a huge transition from what people are used to, so at the very least, give yourself a day to explore if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Have interview invites been sent out yet? Really hoping to get one, UH is one of my top programs (DO applicant). Thank you.

Have interview invites been sent out yet? Really hoping to get one, UH is one of my top programs (DO applicant). Thank you.
Yes, we have released our first wave of interview invites as of 2 days ago. The second wave should be coming out soon as we hear back (or don't hear back) from the first group.

Hi! I've been interviewing at a few programs, and from those interviews learned a few things that I wanted to ask about your program. At another program, they said that no rotation is 'resident dependent', which I suppose means that they could function fine if a resident got sick or for some reason could not show up. Is that the case with your program? Second question, with regards to vacation scheduling, another program offered 'flex scheduling', which in other words I suppose means that vacation days do not have to be taken as a block but could be scattered one or a few at a time. Is that the case? (And in that line of thought, what is the vacation policy in terms of number of days, etc.? I think I could probably look this up on your website, but I think I had but for some reason it wasn't perfectly clear to me, so if you could clarify that would be great.)

Thanks so much in advance for your time!

Hi! I've been interviewing at a few programs, and from those interviews learned a few things that I wanted to ask about your program. At another program, they said that no rotation is 'resident dependent', which I suppose means that they could function fine if a resident got sick or for some reason could not show up. Is that the case with your program? Second question, with regards to vacation scheduling, another program offered 'flex scheduling', which in other words I suppose means that vacation days do not have to be taken as a block but could be scattered one or a few at a time. Is that the case? (And in that line of thought, what is the vacation policy in terms of number of days, etc.? I think I could probably look this up on your website, but I think I had but for some reason it wasn't perfectly clear to me, so if you could clarify that would be great.)

Thanks so much in advance for your time!

Hi there,

Each one of our rotations has attendings available but they would be severely limited without residents. So for practical purposes, we do have several 'resident dependent services. I believe that we are a community program primarily, with the focus to serve the state of Hawaii given that there is only one other psychiatric hospital on the island available to civilians and even then their services are limited.

The second question is we have 'flex scheduling' as you understand it. We have 15 work days for vacation, 12 work days for sick leave, and 7 days for academic leave.

I struggle to believe that there’s really a program out there that’s “not resident dependent.” It seems that’s a phrase that’s employed to load more **** onto the backs of residents and is a nice resource for gaslighting that the vast majority of medical trainees are too eager to play into as long as they carry on in the belief that it’s “educational” and will “make them a better psychiatrist.”

Another question, can you talk about how opportunities are for residents to get involved with research? Is it common, or at least realistically attainable, for residents to do research and perhaps publish during residency? How is the department generally for research (are there faculty who are relatively productive, research-wise)?

Bump. Thanks in advance for your time!

Another question, can you talk about how opportunities are for residents to get involved with research? Is it common, or at least realistically attainable, for residents to do research and perhaps publish during residency? How is the department generally for research (are there faculty who are relatively productive, research-wise)?

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. I'm making my rounds on the social media parts now.

I would not consider research to be a major focus but the faculty is quite active on it. The majority of research is on epidemiological studies, quality improvement, case studies, and cultural psychiatry with various miscellaneous projects ongoing. Residents can do lots of research if they wish but again, we're a community program first and foremost.

Thank you. This is very helpful information. I appreciate your reply!

Hi, there! I was wondering if there has been any momentum made on the push for moonlighting, since the posts made over the summer. Any updates to report?

Hi, there! I was wondering if there has been any momentum made on the push for moonlighting, since the posts made over the summer. Any updates to report?

Hi there,

There is, mostly by other fields under the Hawaii Residency Program umbrella but also on our part. We have periodic GMEC meetings to discuss this and recently had a town hall pressing the cost of living in Hawaii and the educational experience also gained by moonlighting. The outlook is very positive as these concerns are hard to dispute. I cannot promise anything though and it will keep continued engagement to make the changes.

Thank you for the prompt reply! If you have any future progress to report on the push for moonlighting and would continue to update us, that would be very informative and helpful. I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there!! Thank you so much for doing this!! I was wondering how does your program view multiple red flags(repeat of first year and 2 block failures 2nd year) in preclinicals? I am hoping to do well the rest of the way and trying to put this in the past but I am worried about how psychiatry programs will view these red flags that I have a legitimate non-medical reason for. Thank you very much for your time!!

Last edited:
Hi there,

Just making my way around SDN and saw this: hopefully this helps.

We try to take a look at the entire story when evaluating an applicant so I can't say how this will be viewed. I feel the response matters more than what happened because bad things will happen to everyone and how you adapt to it and step up is what truly matters. So, go for it with our program and we'll see.

Hi there!! Thank you so much for doing this!! I was wondering how does your program view multiple red flags(repeat of first year and 2 block failures 2nd year) in preclinicals? I am hoping to do well the rest of the way and trying to put this in the past but I am worried about how psychiatry programs will view these red flags that I have a legitimate non-medical reason for. Thank you very much for your time!!

Hi!!
it will be great if you could write an article on a day in a life of psychiatric residents. I could not find that on website.
thanks in advance.

psychiatry has become my passion but one of the reason that i considered it initially was to have a work life balance. it will be great to your insight in terms of workload and working environment of psychiatry residency in Hawaii.

Hi there,

There is, mostly by other fields under the Hawaii Residency Program umbrella but also on our part. We have periodic GMEC meetings to discuss this and recently had a town hall pressing the cost of living in Hawaii and the educational experience also gained by moonlighting. The outlook is very positive as these concerns are hard to dispute. I cannot promise anything though and it will keep continued engagement to make the changes.

Any update on moonlighting? Thanks!

This thread makes me wonder whether threads for other programs might be a good idea.