This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOverthinkingPremed

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Why are you worried about that right now? You have quite a long way to go: I think getting into medical school comes first

Reactions: 4 users
You are "overthinking". Pursue everything you can that interests you. At this point, anything that helps you develop good eye/hand coordination, patience, fortitude, and good judgment will serve you well in that field, and prepare you for something else if it turns out that something else comes out ahead when you get into your clerkships.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums. I agree, you should worry once you get into medical school. Nail the MCAT at least. Besides, you can completely change subject focus once you do research outside of your undergrad lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you worried about that right now? You have quite a long way to go: I think getting into medical school comes first
I mean, yeah, I agree. I am thinking super long term. I have everything planned out that I believe will get me into medical school. So, why not think about it, yk? It is not going to set me back by being more prepared.

25% of neurosurgeon residents have an MD/PhD. Impact of PhD training on scholarship in a neurosurgical career - PubMed).

So, I think having some foresight might help me out some.

Welcome to the forums. I agree, you should worry once you get into medical school. Nail the MCAT at least. Besides, you can completely change subject focus once you do research outside of your undergrad lab.
Thank you. I know I have a long way to go and I know it is very possible for me to change my opinion on what specialty I want to do. I mean they even say you shouldn't be a neurosurgeon unless you don't like anything else. However, I truly just like to plan ahead, even if it is laughable on these forums.

Thank you. I know I have a long way to go and I know it is very possible for me to change my opinion on what specialty I want to do. I mean they even say you shouldn't be a neurosurgeon unless you don't like anything else. However, I truly just like to plan ahead, even if it is laughable on these forums.
It's okay to aspire and have a vision, but until you get into medical school, you really cannot plan ahead without insight into how the medical school you choose will really help you get to where you want to go. Things can change in a blink, especially with current changes happening with residency selection.

It's okay to aspire and have a vision, but until you get into medical school, you really cannot plan ahead without insight into how the medical school you choose will really help you get to where you want to go. Things can change in a blink, especially with current changes happening with residency selection.
Understood. Thank you for making this clear.