UNC Pharmacy Class of 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uncpharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I haven't seen a thread created for the class of 2021's applicants, so I thought I'd start one!

After people submit their applications, if they want put in what their GPA, PCAT, extracurriculars, LOR, when they submitted their app was, and where else they're applying I think this would be helpful for current and future applicants.

Feel free to update once you hear back from UNC or even other schools! Good luck to everyone who is applying!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll go ahead and start with saying I'm in-state my verified GPA was a 3.48, I work as a pharm tech and have tons of pharmacy experience with UNC itself. I got a 64 on the PCAT I took in July, but I'm retaking it in a couple weeks so hopefully that goes up by a lot haha. I have lots of job shadow experience in and out of the country too! I sent in 3 LOR and I think all 3 were really good haha. I submitted my app on 8/28 and got an email saying my app was verified on 8/31. I applied to Campbell, VCU, MUSC, and UGA and have already gotten an invitation for Campbell! Hopefully I get called for an interview at Chapel Hill, it's my number one choice for sure!

Hi there,

I will be applying to UNC soon! I will post it once my app goes in. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received e-mail from UNC on 8/26 saying my application was complete and under review. Still waiting to hear back!

Hi there folks!
I applied to UNC only- just submitted PharmCAS and got verified.
PharmCAS GPA: 3.47
PCAT: 97th percentile

Current pharmacy technician

Prior research experience with a contract research organization where I accrued two publications.

LORs from veterinary pathologists and pharmacy manager.

Primary relevant EC: committee member of the pre-pharmacy club

Last edited:
Received e-mail from UNC on 8/26 saying my application was complete and under review. Still waiting to hear back!
Ahh that's exciting! Do you remember how long after you submitted your PharmCas, you were sent the supplemental?

It took exactly 1 week to get the supplemental after submitting PharmCAS!

I just received the supplemental app today, 5 days after PharmCAS verified.

I received the supplemental yesterday, which was about 8 days after PharmCas was verified (Long weekend may have delayed it a couple days). Submitted my supplemental yesterday as well and got an email today that my application is complete and under the review process for UNC!! I wonder when interview invitations will come out...

Hey guys. I'm a current PY1 (just started last month!) here at UNC Chapel Hill. If anyone has any questions, I'll check back on this thread from time to time and answer em. All of my application cycle stuff is still fresh on my mind so ask away.

Hey guys. I'm a current PY1 (just started last month!) here at UNC Chapel Hill. If anyone has any questions, I'll check back on this thread from time to time and answer em. All of my application cycle stuff is still fresh on my mind so ask away.
Hi!! That's awesome and thanks for offering! Would you mind sharing your stats to get in?

My stats:

4 years at UCLA
Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics (MIMG) Major
GPA: 3.3 cumulative, 3.1 science (a little weak)
PCAT: 96th percentile
Experience: 1 year CVS CPhT, 3 quarters in bacteriophage lab, 1.5 years of working in the department of Oral Pathology at the UCLA School of Dentistry (non pharmacy related but beneficial nonetheless).

From what it seems talking to the other PY1's, if you have 2/3 of these things in the top tier, you should get an interview.

Hey thank you so much!
I was wondering how the interview for UNC went? I know that UNC does mini seven or eight minutes situational interview. What can I do to better prepare myself for the interview Thank you very much for your tip in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mllkm317 - did you receive an interview invite from UNC yet? if so, do you ming sharing when?

Hey thank you so much!
I was wondering how the interview for UNC went? I know that UNC does mini seven or eight minutes situational interview. What can I do to better prepare myself for the interview Thank you very much for your tip in advance!

While I can't tell you much, I think if you're able to hold a conversation with a professional about pharmacy, making your own opinions and decisions, then you should be fine. Be confident and think fast. Don't answer robotically, just converse. I don't really think you need to study too much before hand other than yourself.

I'll go ahead and start with saying I'm in-state my verified GPA was a 3.48, I work as a pharm tech and have tons of pharmacy experience with UNC itself. I got a 64 on the PCAT I took in July, but I'm retaking it in a couple weeks so hopefully that goes up by a lot haha. I have lots of job shadow experience in and out of the country too! I sent in 3 LOR and I think all 3 were really good haha. I submitted my app on 8/28 and got an email saying my app was verified on 8/31. I applied to Campbell, VCU, MUSC, and UGA and have already gotten an invitation for Campbell! Hopefully I get called for an interview at Chapel Hill, it's my number one choice for sure!

Hey I hope your interview went really well with Campbell! I got an acceptance call the day I did interview with Campbell :) I am just waiting for UNC to invite me for the interview. Have you heard back from the UNC yet? Have you heard back from Campbell?

@Mllkm317 - did you receive an interview invite from UNC yet? if so, do you ming sharing when?

No not yet! I just wanted to see how the interview was. I went to Campbell last Friday for the interview and I was really impressed by how nice and welcoming they were to the candidates. :) Hope I hear back from UNC soon tho... hahaha

Hey guys! I'm interested in applying for UNC but not until the next cycle, i just want to know how competitive is it to get in it? it's ranked No.1 in the nation so I don't think it will be that easy and with my current GPA I don't think I will have a chance lol.

Hey guys! I'm interested in applying for UNC but not until the next cycle, i just want to know how competitive is it to get in it? it's ranked No.1 in the nation so I don't think it will be that easy and with my current GPA I don't think I will have a chance lol.

I think like 25% of those applied were admitted last year. So pretty competitive. Applicants admitted with low GPAs probably compensate with having strong PCAT scores, pharmacy and research experience, and probably some interesting extracurricular leadership stuff to boot.

Thanks for the information! I really have to boost up my GPA while I still have time, and get a high PCAT score. Do they accept a lot OOS students?

Hey I hope your interview went really well with Campbell! I got an acceptance call the day I did interview with Campbell :) I am just waiting for UNC to invite me for the interview. Have you heard back from the UNC yet? Have you heard back from Campbell?
Hey!! I also really really LOVED the environment of Campbell but UNC has always been my dream school haha. I also got a call back from Campbell a couple hours after the interview :) I just emailed UNC asking around when invites will go out because Campbell asked to give a deposit of 2000 by the beginning of Oct to confirm and accept my spot there....which is so so soon!! I have a feeling UNC will be giving out interview invites after that!

Hey!! I also really really LOVED the environment of Campbell but UNC has always been my dream school haha. I also got a call back from Campbell a couple hours after the interview :) I just emailed UNC asking around when invites will go out because Campbell asked to give a deposit of 2000 by the beginning of Oct to confirm and accept my spot there....which is so so soon!! I have a feeling UNC will be giving out interview invites after that! Also I retook the PCAT in Sept and increased my score from a 64 to an 86 :)

I'm working on my supplemental now.

Small liberal arts college
Out of state
Verified GPA: 3.98
PCAT composite: 97th
Current pharmacy technician, 12 week NSF research fellowship, independent pharmacy internship, research internship, science tutor, and etc.

Hey!! I also really really LOVED the environment of Campbell but UNC has always been my dream school haha. I also got a call back from Campbell a couple hours after the interview :) I just emailed UNC asking around when invites will go out because Campbell asked to give a deposit of 2000 by the beginning of Oct to confirm and accept my spot there....which is so so soon!! I have a feeling UNC will be giving out interview invites after that!

Hey! congrats on your acceptance at Campbell! :) Maybe you were in my interview group then because I have to give my answer back by October 10th! Did you hear back from UNC when they are going to be giving out the interviews?

Hey! congrats on your acceptance at Campbell! :) Maybe you were in my interview group then because I have to give my answer back by October 10th! Did you hear back from UNC when they are going to be giving out the interviews?

I contacted the admissions email address and they said the send out interview invitations starting mid-October

Hello everyone,

Good luck to each of you! @uncpharm, I've seen you on these boards since the July PCAT, and it's very evident that you wholly love UNC :) I sincerely hope your wishes come true because I know it means a lot to you!

I, too, will be applying at UNC, but I'm a bit afraid to post all of my stats (not because they're bad or good, but because they may identify me). I'm not sure if UNC monitors these forums, but I know a few Pharmacy admissions counselors/deans who have told me they look on them (more so to see what their own students are saying).

Here are my basics:

GPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.49
PCAT: 88
LORs: 400-Level Chem professor, 400-Level Bio professor, Pharmacy Manager
- 1.5 yrs, CPhT, Retail Chain Pharmacy

I'm your run-of-the-mill average! But I've got a great personality :smuggrin:

Didn't study whatsoever for the PCAT. I pack it in with full summers and full semesters, so I wasn't expecting anything amazing there.
Just hoping my ECs will save me ;)

Hello everyone,

Good luck to each of you! @uncpharm, I've seen you on these boards since the July PCAT, and it's very evident that you wholly love UNC :) I sincerely hope your wishes come true because I know it means a lot to you!

I, too, will be applying at UNC, but I'm a bit afraid to post all of my stats (not because they're bad or good, but because they may identify me). I'm not sure if UNC monitors these forums, but I know a few Pharmacy admissions counselors/deans who have told me they look on them (more so to see what their own students are saying).

Here are my basics:

GPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.49
PCAT: 88
LORs: 400-Level Chem professor, 400-Level Bio professor, Pharmacy Manager
- 1.5 yrs, CPhT, Retail Chain Pharmacy

I'm your run-of-the-mill average! But I've got a great personality :smuggrin:

Didn't study whatsoever for the PCAT. I pack it in with full summers and full semesters, so I wasn't expecting anything amazing there.
Just hoping my ECs will save me ;)

Thank you so much, I'm so happy with what's been happening so far! And your stats are amazing, so congrats to you! Hopefully we both get into UNC as well :)

Thank you so much, I'm so happy with what's been happening so far! And your stats are amazing, so congrats to you! Hopefully we both get into UNC as well :)

You're most welcome! I'm sure your passion will shine through in your interview!

I'm almost certain you'll get in, though. In-state students get priority (as they should), and your stats are some that I have personally seen in accepted in-state UNC SoP students (I met quite a few at several conferences and pharmacy school programs/fairs. Some were undergrad students who found out they were accepted for the 2015-16 cycle, so I shamelessly inquired of their stats/scores). You have very solid stats, so I hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Hey!! I have an interview at Campbell this Friday. It's my top choice and I'm pretty nervous Any advice on how to help prepare, what to bring, or anything like that? I've never really had an important interview before and I hear they even ask you to write essays sometimes! I'd appreciate any advice you could offer

Hey!! I have an interview at Campbell this Friday. It's my top choice and I'm pretty nervous Any advice on how to help prepare, what to bring, or anything like that? I've never really had an important interview before and I hear they even ask you to write essays sometimes! I'd appreciate any advice you could offer

Last year, the earliest I heard of was 10/29 for interviews. Supposedly, first round interviews will be conducted with dates starting from 11/01 this year (per the weak intel that I have, which could be wrong).

I JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITATION!!! AHHHHHH anyone else?!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview today as well :)

Received mine as well. Looking forward to meeting ya'll on Candidate day :D

I just got my interview email today too for Nov 11th :D I'm nervous for the MMI style...

Nope, No interview! Just submitted my supplemental today, though, so we'll see I guess :)

Does a current pharmacy school student remember how long it took after Candidate day to receive admissions letters?

For the people that received an interview, did you apply for ED or regular?

I applied regular admission. Does UNC even do early admission?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile