Ultrasound in ASC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lecithin5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I am misinterpreting the ASIPP physician fee schedule incorrectly, but it appears that there is a professional fee for the use of ultrasound for needle placement an office setting. How about in an ASC? For example, if I do GON block with ultrasound in an ASC, can I bill for ultrasound use, adding to my professional fee?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Be careful though. Some of the major carriers do not allow ASC location for peripheral nerve blocks ( cough MVP cough)

I do all my "nerve" injections in office with ultrasound...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Be careful though. Some of the major carriers do not allow ASC location for peripheral nerve blocks ( cough MVP cough)

I do all my "nerve" injections in office with ultrasound...

What type of nerve injections r you doing in office?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ilioinguinals, genfem, superficial or deep peroneals, post tib, sural, superficial saphenous, ulnar, a rare sciatic, suprascapular, occipital, and rarely a brachial plexus block...

Ilioinguinals, genfem, superficial or deep peroneals, post tib, sural, superficial saphenous, ulnar, a rare sciatic, suprascapular, occipital, and rarely a brachial plexus block...

Nice. I am trying to implement more ultraasound in my clinic , what r u doing peroneals and saphenous for? And occipital, are u able to see the artery?

both of those were for postsurgical pain.

the saphenous was also a postfracture pain s/p ORIF, with surgical incision across the anterior aspect of the calf and radiating pain down the front of the calf.

with occipitals - typically I do just with palpation, but I have a patient who had a repeat injection that didn't work (ie had successful ones previously) ill toss on the US to visualize. can see the artery, but I might be imagining it at times... :rolleyes:

both of those were for postsurgical pain.

the saphenous was also a postfracture pain s/p ORIF, with surgical incision across the anterior aspect of the calf and radiating pain down the front of the calf.

with occipitals - typically I do just with palpation, but I have a patient who had a repeat injection that didn't work (ie had successful ones previously) ill toss on the US to visualize. can see the artery, but I might be imagining it at times... :rolleyes:

Nice, where do I hit the saphenous? Adductor? What do u inject? Works well?

Lol same with my occipitals. trying them prone helps with seeing the artery better sometimes