UK medical student acquiring US residency in ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sl52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes....
Background: I'm a UK/Irish (Northern Ireland) resident, and I've just finished my masters degree (4 year integrated programme, with the last year spent conducting research at a US university), achieving a first class honors in the undergrad part, with a predicted distinction in the masters component. All being well, I'll be going to medical school in the UK (possibly University of Newcastle) next September, and until then I'll be returning to the US to continue research.
My question is this: what would be my chances of obtaining residency at a US school upon completion of my UK medical degree, taking into account the prior US experience? I'm aware that I'm looking quite far ahead, but my goal has always been to practice medicine in the US.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you go to a U.S. allopathic school, good luck. Even then, good luck. The game has gotten absurdly ridiculous in terms of numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very hard for US M.D students to get into Orthopedic Surgery let alone Foreign Medical graduates.

Not sure if this is of any interest to you, but in america, unlike the UK it's a "who you know" world that is important. If you start planning ahead, and if you excel, publish, and get to know key people in programs you want to go to, then anything is possible. I got into a competitive family medicine residency, and I have another friend also fro NI who got into a good EM residency. All is possible.