UK MBBS holder looking to skill up on USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tresante

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a UK MBBS graduate with 5 years of NHS experience. I came out to the US 4 years ago and transitioned to a career in consulting. It's gone well and I'm earning good money but I really miss clinical medicine and hate the thought of losing my knowledge.

I know that as a foreign graduate it's hard to get a US residency, etc but all those concerns aside, I'd like to gradually start preparing for the USMLEs in my spare time so I can open up the option of returning to practice or at the very least refresh my knowledge.

I'm now 10 years out of medical school. Does anyone have any advice on some good ways to start preparing, especially along side a full-time job? Are there any materials that are particularly helpful? Are there any iPad/Android apps that people strongly recommend? Should I focus initially just on Step 1 or also look at Step 2?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

I'm a UK MBBS graduate with 5 years of NHS experience. I came out to the US 4 years ago and transitioned to a career in consulting. It's gone well and I'm earning good money but I really miss clinical medicine and hate the thought of losing my knowledge.

I know that as a foreign graduate it's hard to get a US residency, etc but all those concerns aside, I'd like to gradually start preparing for the USMLEs in my spare time so I can open up the option of returning to practice or at the very least refresh my knowledge.

I'm now 10 years out of medical school. Does anyone have any advice on some good ways to start preparing, especially along side a full-time job? Are there any materials that are particularly helpful? Are there any iPad/Android apps that people strongly recommend? Should I focus initially just on Step 1 or also look at Step 2?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Hello,

There is a wealth of resources available to you to prepare for the USMLE. Study plans are generally best when individualized to a person's situation, so it's not as simple as to say that one approach is better than any other.

The commonly used and highest yield resouces are First Aid for the USMLE, Pathoma, the UWorld question bank, and the NBME sample exams. The real question that you face is how to use these things and how to budget them into your schedule while working full-time.

I'm a former consultant turned medical student (used to work for Booz Allen Hamilton), and so I understand your situation very well. If you're interested in discussing this more, please feel free to private message me.

Some friends and I also tutor for the USMLE on the side; if you're interested in some coaching or strategy in preparing for your exam, we're happy to help. Again, PM me for details.