UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much! I hope you do learn something useful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Has anyone that interviewed for Dublin last week heard from them? I was just reading a blog (https://avetstudentabroad.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/vet-school-semester-1-overview/) and she said she heard the DAY AFTER her interview! So now I'm getting nervous....

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone from the LA interviews for RVC heard anything yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last week in SF and haven't heard from them either but after my interview they told me that they would inform me in a couple weeks!
OK =) Barbara emailed me 2 days ago and said to enrol in my last pre-req immediately. So then I thought I was in but haven't heard anything since & now I'm confused haha...

Got a rejection from RVC's 5 year programme. :( Congrats to everyone who's made it in!

Just got an email today from Bronwyn with a conditional offer for Dublin, and that I would be contacted soon with the details. I know that I have to take Microbiology so I am guessing that is the condition. I interviewed in NYC on the 23rd of January. So beyond thrilled, it still doesnt feel real.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an email today from Bronwyn with a conditional offer for Dublin, and that I would be contacted soon with the details. I know that I have to take Microbiology so I am guessing that is the condition. I interviewed in NYC on the 23rd of January. So beyond thrilled, it still doesnt feel real.

Congrats! I received a conditional offer from them as well. I'm currently taking cell bio which would be my last pre req

Reactions: 1 user
If there are any current US students who are at RVC on this thread, would you mind speaking to the transition? I'm worried about getting out there and bombing exams since it sounds like they are all cumulative and all at once which is so different than US schools (or at least the ones I've attended).

Reactions: 1 users
Amazing! Congrats! You must be so happy. If I get a conditional offer, we should talk about what micro's we are going to take.

Huge congrats!!! Hopefully see you here next year!
I know my app process would have been different since I came from Ireland but I got a conditional offer first before full acceptance as they hadn't my full degree results yet, it seemed to be more a formality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing! Congrats! You must be so happy. If I get a conditional offer, we should talk about what micro's we are going to take.
Yes please keep me posted!!! We will have lots to talk about!!

Huge congrats!!! Hopefully see you here next year!
I know my app process would have been different since I came from Ireland but I got a conditional offer first before full acceptance as they hadn't my full degree results yet, it seemed to be more a formality.
Hope to see you there!!! If I dont get into my provincial school (which is quite possible), I will be attending UCD for sure :) So excited.

Just got accepted to RVC. Interviewed in LA for 4 year program

I interviewed last week in SF and haven't heard from them either but after my interview they told me that they would inform me in a couple weeks!

Ok! Let me know if/when you hear something.

If there are any current US students who are at RVC on this thread, would you mind speaking to the transition? I'm worried about getting out there and bombing exams since it sounds like they are all cumulative and all at once which is so different than US schools (or at least the ones I've attended).

I graduated from RVC in 2015 (4 year program). Overall I wasn't the biggest fan of the british/RVC exam style, however it does have its perks. If you have strong will power/time management that allows you to study throughout the year and keep on top of the material as it is taught, then you will be fine. The part I found hardest is that you don't really get feedback throughout the year to let you know if you are studying appropriately (since you don't really have tests). I think because of this, Americans have a reputation for being overly keen - ie we tend to study more and worry about exams a lot more than the locals. However most of my American classmates did fine with them.

We also just had a few large cumulative exams at the end of each year, not even organized by subject (so not every subject is well represented on exams). Some of us felt that being able to do well on exams involved luck - for example there might be 5 long answer questions each year, and one year 3/5 of them are equine, and the next year 3/5 are small animal - so depending which species you're interested in, one year you might be acing an exam the next year you would have just passing. However I studied a lot and I never felt at risk of failing exams, I just found it hard if you were striving to do well if that makes sense.

One of the big perks though is that overall it means most of the year is less stressful, which lets you take advantage of living abroad! It's totally fine if you want to go to Paris for a weekend, because you can just study more before and after, and your exams are a few months away...

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I graduated from RVC in 2015 (4 year program). Overall I wasn't the biggest fan of the british/RVC exam style, however it does have its perks. If you have strong will power/time management that allows you to study throughout the year and keep on top of the material as it is taught, then you will be fine. The part I found hardest is that you don't really get feedback throughout the year to let you know if you are studying appropriately (since you don't really have tests). I think because of this, Americans have a reputation for being overly keen - ie we tend to study more and worry about exams a lot more than the locals. However most of my American classmates did fine with them.

We also just had a few large cumulative exams at the end of each year, not even organized by subject (so not every subject is well represented on exams). Some of us felt that being able to do well on exams involved luck - for example there might be 5 long answer questions each year, and one year 3/5 of them are equine, and the next year 3/5 are small animal - so depending which species you're interested in, one year you might be acing an exam the next year you would have just passing. However I studied a lot and I never felt at risk of failing exams, I just found it hard if you were striving to do well if that makes sense.

One of the big perks though is that overall it means most of the year is less stressful, which lets you take advantage of living abroad! It's totally fine if you want to go to Paris for a weekend, because you can just study more before and after, and your exams are a few months away...

Hope that helps!

Thank you! That makes me feel so much better. I don't know that it will be the easiest thing to study without an exam to cram for, but I'd imagine you'd get used to it. It sounds like the benefits of studying there outweigh the less than stellar parts.

Hey! This is the Microbiology course I am signing up for because it is Canadian but doesn't require any labs like athabasca does: http://unb.ca/cel/online/courses-programs/open-entry/biol2259.html

There is one through New England university in the US but it is almost double the price with the exchange. Keep me posted, really hope you get an offer!!!

I just got an offer from RVC!!! I interviewed the 19th in LA.

Does anyone have any insight on how to pay for the school / how exchange rates might affect tuition and financial aid?

Reactions: 3 users
I just got an offer from RVC!!! I interviewed the 19th in LA.

Does anyone have any insight on how to pay for the school / how exchange rates might affect tuition and financial aid?

Congrats!! What a relief!!

So it seems like they're going by day we interviewed on, I interviewed on the 20th and have yet to hear.

I was wondering how they evaluate the applicants after the interview, I know they discussed it but I've since forgot. Do they look at the applicant holistically or just go off the interview? Thanks!

Congrats!! What a relief!!

So it seems like they're going by day we interviewed on, I interviewed on the 20th and have yet to hear.
I interviewed on the 19th and still haven't heard anything either. As far as evaluation goes, they said the interview factors heavily but other attributes before the interview was offered will also contribute to the final decision.

Last edited:
I was accepted by RVC as well, However, I have already chose to accept University of Glasgow's offer. Hopefully now that everyone is starting to hear back I can team up with some fellow Americans to talk about the transition from the States to the UK (whether it be RVC, Glasgow, Dublin, etc). Its exciting, but at the same time the transition seems daunting. Its always nice to be able to talk to someone going through the same process ^_^

Accepted to RVC 4 year program!! Started crying and screaming when i found out haha. Interviewed in Dallas on Nov. 16

I interviewed on the 19th and still haven't heard anything either. As far as evaluation goes, they said the interview factors heavily but other attributes before the interview was offered will also contribute to the final decision.
I emailed RVC late last week asking about the status of my application and where they were at with the process. This is the response I got this morning:

"We hope you are well. We are endeavouring to get the decisions sent out for those who interviewed in California this week but in a minority of cases (regardless of location), it may extend beyond this slightly. We hope that you’ll be in the group to find out this week though."

So it does appear that their decision have been going out by interview location/date, as we had been speculating. So for those who interviewed in CA, hopefully this week we will know!

I emailed RVC late last week asking about the status of my application and where they were at with the process. This is the response I got this morning:

"We hope you are well. We are endeavouring to get the decisions sent out for those who interviewed in California this week but in a minority of cases (regardless of location), it may extend beyond this slightly. We hope that you’ll be in the group to find out this week though."

So it does appear that their decision have been going out by interview location/date, as we had been speculating. So for those who interviewed in CA, hopefully this week we will know!

Ah that's exciting! Thanks for sharing!

Hey! This is the Microbiology course I am signing up for because it is Canadian but doesn't require any labs like athabasca does: http://unb.ca/cel/online/courses-programs/open-entry/biol2259.html

There is one through New England university in the US but it is almost double the price with the exchange. Keep me posted, really hope you get an offer!!!

I got a conditional offer =) Yay! I was going to take the UNB micro too, for exactly those reasons. I guess if we get into guelph, then at least we'll have a head start on micro since we just took it, so really no loss.

Have they approved the UNB one yet? I sent it to Bronwyn for approval but they've been taking a while to answer my emails.

Last edited:
I got a conditional offer =) Yay! I was going to take the UNB micro too, for exactly those reasons. I guess if we get into guelph, then at least we'll have a head start on micro since we just took it, so really no loss.

Have they approved the UNB one yet? I sent it to Bronwyn for approval but they've been taking a while to answer my emails.
She approved it with me but that was months ago, can you PM me if you hear from her? I just want to make sure she approves it for you to, and it was so long ago that I talked to her about that I want to make sure it's still okay. And CONGRATS on your offer!!! We are going to be vets, we just don't know where our degree will be from yet! Lol

I was accepted by RVC as well, However, I have already chose to accept University of Glasgow's offer. Hopefully now that everyone is starting to hear back I can team up with some fellow Americans to talk about the transition from the States to the UK (whether it be RVC, Glasgow, Dublin, etc). Its exciting, but at the same time the transition seems daunting. Its always nice to be able to talk to someone going through the same process ^_^
Agreed!

New York Glasgpw interviews were today, hope everyone feels good about how they went! Good luck :)

Just got my acceptance to RVC, 5-year program!!! Best feeling in the world.

Reactions: 6 users
I GOT ACCEPTED TO THE FOUR YEAR PROGRAM AT RVC!
I interviewed in LA on 11/20.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Those of you who got accepted to RVC - do you mind sharing your GPA and animal experience hours?

Also, has anyone who interviewed in NYC heard back from them?

This morning I got an email saying I was accepted at Glasgow! I interviewed in NYC on Monday :).

just got accepted to RVC 4 YEAR yesterday!!!!! I interviewed in LA back on November 19. however, I was accepted to Glasgow a while ago, and I'm still leaning towards Scotland to be honest- the people were so nice!! congrats to everyone hearing right now!!! yayayayyyy!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.39
Last 68: 3.75
Science: 3.3
Vet hours: 500
-small animal clinics, interning with a veterinary behaviourist, rotations in teaching hospitals, minimal experience with livestock and wildlife
Animal hours: 1145
-mainly dogs, and a good chunk with livestock
Research hours: 110
-cognitive psychology experiment, experiment with puppies

Can anyone provide insight into Glasgow vs. Royal? I love both curriculums, although the fact that Royal is a 4 year program is making me lean towards that.
Someone on here mentioned that Royal only does exams at the end of the year? What other things that are really different from US schools can you point out for both Glasgow and Royal? What things do you like or dislike about both schools? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone provide insight into Glasgow vs. Royal? I love both curriculums, although the fact that Royal is a 4 year program is making me lean towards that.
Someone on here mentioned that Royal only does exams at the end of the year? What other things that are really different from US schools can you point out for both Glasgow and Royal? What things do you like or dislike about both schools? Thanks!

Glasgow only has one big exam per class each year too---they have midterms in December, but they were only like 10-25% of the grade.

You can go back and search my old posts about Glasgow if you want. And there are a few current Weegies floating around in here too that are more familiar with the new curriculum.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Those of you who got accepted to RVC - do you mind sharing your GPA and animal experience hours?

Also, has anyone who interviewed in NYC heard back from them?

My stats really aren't that impressive, at least academically, but goes to show that getting in doesn't just depend on GPA! Experience matters too!

26 yr old male, Oregon State resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Massey University, RVC, Glasgow, MWU
Interviewed: RVC
Rejected: Glasgow, MWU
Wait-listed: n/a
Other: Offered a place at Massey University in group 1 (Vet school pre-selection semester)
Accepted: RVC, 5-year program!

Overall GPA: 2.84 (affected heavily by poor performance as a freshman in undergraduate)
Science GPA: 3.01
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

Degree: BS Marine Vertebrate Biology

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (43%) / 153 (60%) / 4 (59%)

Vet Experience:
Veterinary assistant at Banfield Pet Hospital (~2500 hours and counting)

Animal Experience:
Marine Animal husbandry at a privately owned aquarium (~2300 hours)

Extracurriculars:
Member of undergraduate a cappella group
Marine science club
Club soccer team
Club ultimate frisbee

LOR's:
1 from Chief of Staff at my vet hospital (GP)
2 from other vets at same hospital (GP)
1 from marine biology professor at undergraduate university

Hello! This thread is for people applying to UK/Irish Veterinary schools (Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC, Dublin) for the class of 2021/2022.
Has anyone received interview invites from these schools yet? As a student from the US, I applied to Glasgow and RVC. I have not heard anything yet.
Best of luck to everyone. :)

I just heard back from RVC after interviewing with them in November. Seeing as you posted this in September, I'm sure many people who applied also received an interview around the same time I did!
Sorry for my late response, I just joined this forum a minute ago.

I was accepted to RVC but I am currently overwhelmed. I don't even know how to begin to comprehend moving out there yet. I have no idea what I need to do and I still have to visit the school. I am here searching for advice!!

My stats really aren't that impressive, at least academically, but goes to show that getting in doesn't just depend on GPA! Experience matters too!

26 yr old male, Oregon State resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Massey University, RVC, Glasgow, MWU
Interviewed: RVC
Rejected: Glasgow, MWU
Wait-listed: n/a
Other: Offered a place at Massey University in group 1 (Vet school pre-selection semester)
Accepted: RVC, 5-year program!

I also was accepted into Massey in Group 1 and am at a similar place with my GPA I think I was at a 3.0 when I applied because I'm so terrible at Math and Chemistry (those 3D rotations...what can I say lol). Experience sets you apart and the applications are so long if you don't have various forms of experience you can't bulk up your application with just a good GPA.

Just got accepted into RVC 4year program!!! interviewed in london on dec 2

Reactions: 3 users
I just heard back from RVC after interviewing with them in November. Seeing as you posted this in September, I'm sure many people who applied also received an interview around the same time I did!
Sorry for my late response, I just joined this forum a minute ago.

I was accepted to RVC but I am currently overwhelmed. I don't even know how to begin to comprehend moving out there yet. I have no idea what I need to do and I still have to visit the school. I am here searching for advice!!
Well congrats on your acceptance! It is certainly very overwhelming thinking about moving there and starting over. But plenty of people have done it before us and it seems like the staff at RVC will be there to help at every step of the way as we get closer to the term starting.

Is anyone from the US planning to go to the offer holder day? I'm not sure if it's really worth the 8 hour flight there and the major expense...