UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are planning on living off campus in Dublin with a significant other, it can be pretty difficult as well. It took me and my boyfriend, and the couple I live with 3 weeks to find a place.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually live in a neighbouring county now and commute but I did live in Dublin for 24 years with my family, so can't say I've experienced cost of living problems haha. However I do hear that it is expensive. I would say it's less expensive than the likes of London, but can't say how it compares to the US. Most of my year lives in student accommodation on campus, some live off campus but near by. If you get in there'll be a facebook group for you that will help with figuring out which way you want to go and the best areas nearby. If you were to ask me I'd say unless you're bringing a dog with you, on campus is the way to go for your first year any way.
Ya I think if I get in I will for sure do on-campus housing the first year, to save the stress and hassle of finding a place to live. Plus I want to be able to make friends and then find a living situation with multiple people. I want to bring my dog in second year potentially, but I haven't decided on that yet either, with all of the EMS work I am not sure how I would manage that... :( My parents think of my dog as their third child though so they do not have an issue with keeping her for me during vet school. Heartbreaking but might be necessary.

got rejected .. its o k not giving up just yet.. Good luck to all you that got in somewhere one day we shall all cross paths in this field look back and just laugh. May God help of you with your journeys !! from NY love !!

Members don't see this ad :)
got rejected .. its o k not giving up just yet.. Good luck to all you that got in somewhere one day we shall all cross paths in this field look back and just laugh. May God help of you with your journeys !! from NY love !!
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that, from UCD?

Those of you that have UCD interviews, has anyone heard about confirmed interview dates yet? They said by the end of november they would let us know about exact dates/times.

I found the interview much more informal than how the UK vet schools go about theirs, I interviewed at Bristol before and there was like mini-trials testing your maths, putting together weird objects in a set amount of time and then scenarios, followed by a really formal interview where they asked you indepth questions about the specifics of your work experience and they threw out a question on some big recent thing in veterinary, for instance my interview for Bristol was back in 2012 so I got a question on Badgers & TB. There was nothing like that in my UCD interview at all, it was like a more formal chat. It seemed like they want to get to know what kind of person you are, rather than the specifics of what you've learnt. I ended up way over preparing, I had a big speal ready to talk about my thesis and procedures I'd seen but I didn't need any of that. I got the feeling they want you to know a little bit about what you're getting yourself into - cost wise (we don't get student loans here so Irish drop outs due to money issues is a big problem in grad-entry) and syllabus/work load wise, so might be a good idea to go to the UCD website and get an idea of whats covered etc. Because it's usually a 5 year course here for undergrads they are squishing first two years into one, so it is intense and it would be good to show you are prepared for that.
Seemed like they want someone with a pretty open mind who hasn't sort of pigeon holed themselves into one aspect of veterinary quite yet, although its probably okay to have an idea but just that they want you to be open to learning about eg. equine even if you have no interest in that. I think be prepared to answer the general interview questions you'll get like where do you see yourself in 5 years, what to expect out of your career etc.
They definitely asked me a good bit about being able to deal with the pressure of vet school and being okay with not getting As the whole time. I think many north american students that come here are a bit shocked by the difference in grading. A's are only handed out for answers with exceptional extra reading/work, referencing etc. (obviously excluding MCQs here, most finals are essay based, midterms are MCQ). A correct but not comprehensive answer will get you a C, a slightly expanded one will get you a B but you don't get As without extra reading. They stress keeping yourself in good mental health and not killing yourself to get the 'A', and not giving up hope if you don't do well in one exam. That really comes across quite strong here as a whole, as only your final year exam grades count towards your final degree grade, so there's no point in killing yourself for the A in first year.
If there's any anomalies in your grades or application be prepared to talk about why they are there, the thing about UCD I love is that they take everything into account - it's not just about grades. For instance, the irish grad entrys take an extra exam called the GAMSAT to get in, and to be honest my score wasn't great at all. But I had a strong interview and work experience and they took that into account and here I am. So as long as you get your positive points across I think you'll do fine - they wouldn't have invited you for interview unless they were very interested.

As far as how I'm enjoying it, I absolutely love it here but I won't lie it's super intense. It seems like once mid terms start you are never more than a few weeks from an exam until end of semester, but I'm just not used to that coming from my last university where we were only examined at Summer. Our year coordinator bends over backwards to help us. There is lots of continuous assessment as you go along, which spreads out your work load so if you do bad at one exam it's not that big of a deal. They do expect you to do a lot of 'independent learning' in a lot of modules, and you have to go out and get animal handling skills yourself and all that but I think most of you coming from america have a good lot of that already, we're basically not allowed touch animals as work experience students here so we don't come in with much of any clinical skills such as injecting, taking blood etc. So you'll be in a good place as far as that goes compared to someone like me coming in from Ireland. There's also so much help from the upper years when you get here.

I'll end that essay here that's all I could think of. Sorry about the length! (Procrastinating final study...)

Thanks for all the info, @dubvet . So the course itself is very intense but enjoyable? I'm always interested to hear the varied experiences students have in professional school in different countries (i.e. I have Australian friends who studied vet that, while they worked hard, had time for a social life and thoroughly enjoyed vet school v. quite a few American friends who "loved to hate" it. They seemed much more stressed and just wanted it over with). Do you feel Dublin provides a decent balance in that respect?

Also, how difficult is it to get away during breaks to visit family/travel? I can't remember if it was Dublin or Edinburgh that had the required modules (may be using the wrong word here) or work experiences in between semesters?

Thanks in advance.

Those of you that have UCD interviews, has anyone heard about confirmed interview dates yet? They said by the end of november they would let us know about exact dates/times.

Not yet, @mildredjrt. I keep checking my email but am just looking at flying in a few days early now just to be safe.

Ya I think if I get in I will for sure do on-campus housing the first year, to save the stress and hassle of finding a place to live. Plus I want to be able to make friends and then find a living situation with multiple people. I want to bring my dog in second year potentially, but I haven't decided on that yet either, with all of the EMS work I am not sure how I would manage that... :( My parents think of my dog as their third child though so they do not have an issue with keeping her for me during vet school. Heartbreaking but might be necessary.

I'm really struggling with this decision too. My mom and I are planning on booking a flight for end of May early June to apartment search. Having just lived in a dorm for the first two years of undergrad I'm really not wanted to go back to dorm life. I'm also afraid of rooming with an 18 year old and not that that is bad necessarily, but I think a lot of growth happens throughout those first few years in college that may set us apart in what we're looking for in dorm life. I also have a cat which my roommate is willing to keep here in the US, but my parents are not as I have allergic family. I just really feel I would be much happier living off campus, but I also know sometimes I would feel disengaged/ removed from all the activity. Any one have any suggestions? I really can't decide!

I'm really struggling with this decision too. My mom and I are planning on booking a flight for end of May early June to apartment search. Having just lived in a dorm for the first two years of undergrad I'm really not wanted to go back to dorm life. I'm also afraid of rooming with an 18 year old and not that that is bad necessarily, but I think a lot of growth happens throughout those first few years in college that may set us apart in what we're looking for in dorm life. I also have a cat which my roommate is willing to keep here in the US, but my parents are not as I have allergic family. I just really feel I would be much happier living off campus, but I also know sometimes I would feel disengaged/ removed from all the activity. Any one have any suggestions? I really can't decide!

I know what you mean, I am 24 and the idea of living in residence is a bit daunting.... I am hoping there is the option of single dorms.. if not I would probably be apartment hunting, maybe through FB and SDN it would be possible to find roomies before getting there? lol I just don't think I can afford my own apartment in Dublin from what I have seen. Thats a good idea to go earlier in the summer to scope things out.

Depending on where you go, you may be able to get housing with vet students of any age, or if you're GEP, perhaps with people in that age range. My friend goes to Edinburgh, and her first year she lived in student housing apartments with other GEPs.
For Royal, I know that they have different types of housing - some for vet students only and some for all University of London students, but I'm not sure whether or not you can get a residence with other GEPs or not.

I'm considering doing the residence halls for my first year just because it will be much easier for me to adjust, as there is less for me to worry about, and it would be nice to live with other first year vet students who are going through the same thing (or older vet student who could help if they are living in the halls too).
That being said, for me it's all going to come down to cost, how feasible it is to find other housing beforehand, and if I can get housing with people my age (for Royal or Glasgow), because I don't want to live with people who are just starting University, going through that first year phase.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, how difficult is it to get away during breaks to visit family/travel? I can't remember if it was Dublin or Edinburgh that had the required modules (may be using the wrong word here) or work experiences in between semesters?
At Dublin, we do have EMS (you can get exempted out of some of your pre-clinical EMS based on your previous experience), but you'll still have plenty of time to travel. It doesn't all have to be completed in Ireland, so you do have the option of doing it back in your home country. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Did you apply to OVC? That is my provincial school here in Ontario.
Sorry for the delay, we just got out of another round of exams! Yes, I did apply there. I'll PM you about it and you can ask me any questions you may have. :)

Thanks in advance.

All the UK/Irish schools require EMS. 12 weeks pre clinical, 26 weeks clinical. It's not hard to do and still have plenty of time for getting away and seeing family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on where you go, you may be able to get housing with vet students of any age, or if you're GEP, perhaps with people in that age range. My friend goes to Edinburgh, and her first year she lived in student housing apartments with other GEPs.
For Royal, I know that they have different types of housing - some for vet students only and some for all University of London students, but I'm not sure whether or not you can get a residence with other GEPs or not.

I'm considering doing the residence halls for my first year just because it will be much easier for me to adjust, as there is less for me to worry about, and it would be nice to live with other first year vet students who are going through the same thing (or older vet student who could help if they are living in the halls too).
That being said, for me it's all going to come down to cost, how feasible it is to find other housing beforehand, and if I can get housing with people my age (for Royal or Glasgow), because I don't want to live with people who are just starting University, going through that first year phase.

Most of my US friends who lived in residence halls their first year hated it. And they ended up paying more.

I would try to find either fellow first years to lease a flat with, or contact older vet students and see if they have spaces opening up. I know at least at Glasgow, quite a few emails go out from current or graduating students about available flats.

Most of my US friends who lived in residence halls their first year hated it. And they ended up paying more.

I would try to find either fellow first years to lease a flat with, or contact older vet students and see if they have spaces opening up. I know at least at Glasgow, quite a few emails go out from current or graduating students about available flats.

The only school I applied to outside the US is UCD so it may be different than Glasgow, but I can't imagine myself being happy in dorms. I wouldn't even want to room with 18 year old me, let alone someone else. I think I'm going to be hunting for flats and apartments in Dublin instead!

Interview with UCD confirmed for the 23rd. So excited!

I'm kind of late to this forum haha
Interview Confirmed for January 27th in San Francisco! Super excited!

For dublin? :woot:

I've been accepted to UCD, but decided to have a meeting with the admissions committee to ask some questions and attend an information session on January 24th in NYC thinking this might help me weigh my options! I've lived in NYC and know my way around so if anyone wants to meet up for dinner or anything later in the day let me know!

I'm kind of late to this forum haha
Interview Confirmed for January 27th in San Francisco! Super excited!
Yay me too! Do you know if they are individual interviews or MMI's? My interview time was very specific so I get they feeling they are individual.

Yay me too! Do you know if they are individual interviews or MMI's? My interview time was very specific so I get they feeling they are individual.
I'm pretty sure they're individual interviews-my interview time was pretty specific as well!

I WAS ACCEPTED TO UCD!! Just spent 30 minutes crying...

So this was me when I found out on 11/28. I was driving to my apt after my lecture getting ready to head to the swine farm for lab and I just started tearing up. This was also the week before finals so stress was high. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ross and Penn but at the moment I'm just happy I have one yes

Also I know in our email about acceptances, we would get something in the mail. Has anyone gotten anything via snail mail in the US? I want to have a meeting with them but in one of the emails it said to wait for the mail. This was a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure if I should inquire about this

Also I know in our email about acceptances, we would get something in the mail. Has anyone gotten anything via snail mail in the US? I want to have a meeting with them but in one of the emails it said to wait for the mail. This was a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure if I should inquire about this

I got some info via mail a while ago! Are you also in state for penn? I'm still waiting to hear from them too.

I got some info via mail a while ago! Are you also in state for penn? I'm still waiting to hear from them too.

I'll email them when I get home about it then. I've gotten two emails from them with one about research opportunities for extra mural studies so I know the acceptance wasn't a mistake haha. I'm oos for them but I'm hoping to get into the VMD-PhD program there.

I'll email them when I get home about it then. I've gotten two emails from them with one about research opportunities for extra mural studies so I know the acceptance wasn't a mistake haha. I'm oos for them but I'm hoping to get into the VMD-PhD program there.

It did take maybe two weeks about for my acceptance to come in the mail! Maybe more? And awesome! Good luck with that!

It did take maybe two weeks about for my acceptance to come in the mail! Maybe more? And awesome! Good luck with that!

I emailed Eva, the one that sent my email acceptance, but she is currently out until New Years. I was directed to email Paul and he told me to wait until the school reopens on the 3rd. He said that it being the holiday season was probably why the official letter was delayed. At least it was nothing on their end and it's probably the postal services.

Is there anybody here that applied to UCD not using an application service. I did not apply via VMCAS and have a question regarding transcripts.

Feel free to shoot me a message! Thanks!
Best of luck to those interviewing and congrats to those have been accepted!

Sent from my VS990 using SDN mobile

hey guys! so does anyone know main diff's between Glasgow and Edinburgh? I just got into Glasgow and I'm over the moon about it (!!!), but if I get into Edinburgh as well (if I'm super lucky post-interview) I will be so torn! Also, what are your thoughts on Glasgow's 5 year program vs. Edinburgh's accelerated 4 year? Does the 4 year feel overwhelmingly fast? And does the Glasgow program ever feel redundant for those who've already done their bachelors, or is the pace actually better for retaining information? Also, is there a big difference in the "personalities" between the schools? Thanks a lot guys, I SO appreciate it!!:)

hey guys! so does anyone know main diff's between Glasgow and Edinburgh? I just got into Glasgow and I'm over the moon about it (!!!), but if I get into Edinburgh as well (if I'm super lucky post-interview) I will be so torn! Also, what are your thoughts on Glasgow's 5 year program vs. Edinburgh's accelerated 4 year? Does the 4 year feel overwhelmingly fast? And does the Glasgow program ever feel redundant for those who've already done their bachelors, or is the pace actually better for retaining information? Also, is there a big difference in the "personalities" between the schools? Thanks a lot guys, I SO appreciate it!!:)
I'm in my last year of Edinburgh. I picked the 4 year program at Edinburgh simply to save a year of tuition. For me, it was impossible to justify paying an extra year tuition if it could be avoided. That said, I visited both universities (RVC too) and liked them all. The year I applied, Edinburgh had a brand new teaching building while the teaching buildings at RVC and Glasgow seemed a bit worn out. The teaching building is right next to the teaching hospitals as well so that means less time walking in the cold weather (I'm from California!). I sometimes wonder if my anatomy knowledge would be a bit better as you spend a lot more time on it in 5 year program. It has not held me back in any way so far though. A lot of Americans that did the 5 year program felt it was unnecessarily drawn out at times.

Yay! Congratulations! I'm also curious about going overseas. My longest flight has been 2hr30m and I'm a little nervous about crossing the Atlantic if I end up at Dublin (50/50 chance I do)

Yay! Congratulations! I'm also curious about going overseas. My longest flight has been 2hr30m and I'm a little nervous about crossing the Atlantic if I end up at Dublin (50/50 chance I do)

I have actually been to Dublin and I can honestly say the people are some of the nicest I have ever met! I have been lucky enough to travel a lot (been to 13 countries outside of this continent) and have never been embraced by more friendlier people in a foreign country than the Irish people. As for the plane ride, I have been on a 16 hour flight before and I promise you it's not that bad - usually I just watch movies and take benadryl if I want to sleep. Obviously I haven't studied in Ireland, but the time I have spent there definitely makes me excited to possibly head back!

For any RVC applicants... do you know if we're required to send our Fall 2016 transcripts as well? If so, where do we send it? I did well this past semester but I want to save myself the cost of mailing it if I can...

I'm in my last year of Edinburgh. I picked the 4 year program at Edinburgh simply to save a year of tuition. For me, it was impossible to justify paying an extra year tuition if it could be avoided. That said, I visited both universities (RVC too) and liked them all. The year I applied, Edinburgh had a brand new teaching building while the teaching buildings at RVC and Glasgow seemed a bit worn out. The teaching building is right next to the teaching hospitals as well so that means less time walking in the cold weather (I'm from California!). I sometimes wonder if my anatomy knowledge would be a bit better as you spend a lot more time on it in 5 year program. It has not held me back in any way so far though. A lot of Americans that did the 5 year program felt it was unnecessarily drawn out at times.

Thank you @bigkittinteef!!!

I am from California too and just accepted to study at Glasgow (since its a 5 year program then class of 2022)! It is going to be a big jump, how did you make the transition? I have never traveled overseas (only within the states) so its all very exciting but nerve racking as well.

Heyyy congrats!! We might end up in the same class!!! Where abouts in California are you from? Most of my family and friends live around Gardena and Pasadena!

Thank you! That would be cool if we did so at least I could get to know one other person who is going across the world haha Pasadena is about 3 hours from where I live, I am from central California! Did you go to the interview in cal poly for Glasgow? I'm assuming you are not in California currently?

I also live in California (studying at UC Davis), and have been accepted to Glasgow! My interview was at Cal Poly on 10/10. I have not made any decisions yet, but maybe we'll be classmates! Congrats on accepting your offer!

Glasgow has a completely new teaching building (the GlasS building) that they just finished for teaching 1-4th years. The small animal hospital is also newer than Edinburgh's, I think the equine center was finished in the late 90s?

Regardless, both programs are great. I can really only speak for Glasgow, but I don't regret doing an extra year of anatomy and physiology for a minute. Plus, I got to live in Europe and a city I loved for an extra year. With regards to tuition, I think the 4 and 5 year programs balance out to be pretty similar. I think Dick vet has a slightly higher tuition and living costs, so I tried to not let that be the deciding factor.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! That would be cool if we did so at least I could get to know one other person who is going across the world haha Pasadena is about 3 hours from where I live, I am from central California! Did you go to the interview in cal poly for Glasgow? I'm assuming you are not in California currently?

Oh cool!! I went to school up north at UC Berkeley but I live back home in Seattle now. I did go to the cal poly interview!! They were so nice. I'm going to visit Glasgow in March before I make my final decision, but I'm sure it's going to be amazing based on all the videos and blogs I've been pouring through hahaha.

Thats so awesome!! I was at UC Davis for a year until I had to transfer home (my mom has cancer and needed care). My interview was october 11th so we just missed each other! Hey maybe we even know each other! Did you stay in the dorms your freshman year, I was in Segundo in Campo

I hope everything is okay with your mom!
I also lived in Segundo in Gilmore. Were you an Animal Science major?

Thank you and no I was (and still am) a biological sciences major. You were in the newer dorms right in front of the DC (considering that campo was made in like the 60s) I don't think I ever got to meet anyone from that dorm, but Alex Lee (the ASUCD Pres) is one of my good friends and lived across the hall from me ^_^

Really?! Maybe we've met. Alex was a friend of mine also! What a coincidence.

Anyone else for sure going to Dublin? I've looked back through here and cannot find it. I'm 95% sure right now

Anyone else for sure going to Dublin? I've looked back through here and cannot find it. I'm 95% sure right now

I'm pretty much 99% sure I am! Waiting til after I go to NYC and meet the admissions committee and go to the information session to accept and pay my deposit.

I think I'll be there too! They're letting me wait until classes start so I can see what I'll miss from my classes on that Tuesday and maybe Wednesday. My classes start Wednesday so it shouldn't be a problem though

I'm pretty much 99% sure I am! Waiting til after I go to NYC and meet the admissions committee and go to the information session to accept and pay my deposit.
that is so exciting! I can't wait until I know for sure where I will be in September

I know some applicants might hear from RVC within the next couple of weeks. If anyone gets (or already has been) accepted, pleaseeee be a dear and let us know! :)

I know some applicants might hear from RVC within the next couple of weeks. If anyone gets (or already has been) accepted, pleaseeee be a dear and let us know! :)
Agreed! I haven't heard anything yet... I didn't think we were supposed to hear until March, now I am nervous!!!

Agreed! I haven't heard anything yet... I didn't think we were supposed to hear until March, now I am nervous!!!
I am super nervous too! They said at the interview that they'll start sending offers mid-January, though the grand majority of them will be made throughout February.

I'm definitely accepting! It turns out to be the cheapest option for me and I loved the school and the city when I studied abroad there.

I also plan on going into the city to meet with admissions if any of you have time to meet up.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm definitely accepting! It turns out to be the cheapest option for me and I loved the school and the city when I studied abroad there.

I also plan on going into the city to meet with admissions if any of you have time to meet up.

Yea they're a lot cheaper than most would think. Even when you convert to USD. Currently I'm planning on flying up to NYC the day of the meeting and staying overnight so we can try to meet up if y'all want.