DO UGPA 2.7 / Post Bacc GPA 3.7 / MCAT 508 / Strong Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcallmeK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 508 total (126/126/128/128)

Graduated from UC Berkeley with 2.7 GPA
Took classes at UCSD, SDSU, and community college: post bacc GPA 3.7 (~8 courses with 2 labs)
Cumulative science GPA ~2.9 without averaging repeat courses

Strong personal statement

Strong research resume - Human tissue engineering, Traumatic Brain injury gene therapy research
Some clinical experience - Weekly shift at local free clinic

Members don't see this ad.

with post bacc included:cGPA 3.0 / sGPA 2.8

Upward trend: post-bacc gpa 3.74 (28.4 semester hours)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is fine, but your sgpa is still below 3.0 and you will get screened out at most schools. Try to get the sgpa above 3.0, I hear AZCOM is still doing grade replacement this year if both gpas are above 3.0. If you do choose to apply this year, focus on applying to the newer schools like ACOM, BCOM, maybe LUCOM. You should message Goro and hell give you a better school list/advice.

Alot of people including myself have gotten f*cked by the new AACOMAS policy. My GPA is going from a 3.3 to a 2.9 because of this, and I will have to do a postbacc just to stay in the running. This is a really unfair situation for us to be in.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is fine, but your sgpa is still below 3.0 and you will get screened out at most schools. Try to get the sgpa above 3.0, I hear AZCOM is still doing grade replacement this year if both gpas are above 3.0. If you do choose to apply this year, focus on applying to the newer schools like ACOM, BCOM, maybe LUCOM. You should message Goro and hell give you a better school list/advice.

Alot of people including myself have gotten f*cked by the new AACOMAS policy. My GPA is going from a 3.3 to a 2.9 because of this, and I will have to do a postbacc just to stay in the running. This is a really unfair situation for us to be in.
~~~~~~~~~
Yeah I hear you. I just crunched the numbers and if I finish strong in the courses I'm currently taking I'll be sitting at a 2.95 sGPA... so close to that 3.00 mark. If only the rumors about GPA boost for tough schools were true... maybe I'd be over 3.0.

I'm going to start some clinical research at UCSD School of Medicine this summer... I feel like I'm doing everything right, but gpa screening is a cruel mistress. Fingers crossed, don't lose sight of the goal.

~~~~~~~~~
Yeah I hear you. I just crunched the numbers and if I finish strong in the courses I'm currently taking I'll be sitting at a 2.95 sGPA... so close to that 3.00 mark. If only the rumors about GPA boost for tough schools were true... maybe I'd be over 3.0.

I'm going to start some clinical research at UCSD School of Medicine this summer... I feel like I'm doing everything right, but gpa screening is a cruel mistress. Fingers crossed, don't lose sight of the goal.

It might be best to wait until your sGPA is over 3.0 to even apply. Next year you'll have a solid application with more ECs and a longer period of postbacc. Also make sure you ara calculating your AACOMAS sGPA correctly. I thought I was at 2.96 for the longest time then discovered I had overlooked a few classes that I am almost certain will count in the "other science" category for AACOMAS (even after checking with AACOMAS via email and phone, they provide responses that result in uncertainty) and now I am safely over the threshold.

Took classes at UCSD, SDSU, and community college: post bacc GPA 3.7 (~8 courses with 2 labs)

Strong research resume - Human tissue engineering, Traumatic Brain injury gene therapy research

How much research experience do you already have? (Publications, posters, hours, etc)?

Apply broadly to DO schools, especially targeting the newest schools.