UGA c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS rejected as well; good luck to everyone who got accepted this year! Planning on reapplying in the next cycle, anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to improve from one year to the next?

As @amchap893 and others have said, meeting with Parker is such a crucial step. He will discuss your application and tell you ways to improve. That is what I am currently doing, and hopefully I will get accepted next cycle when I apply again. Most people get accepted if they follow what Parker suggests to do. Don't give up guys

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IS rejected. For those that got in, do you mind sharing some of your stats?

IS rejected as well; good luck to everyone who got accepted this year! Planning on reapplying in the next cycle, anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to improve from one year to the next?

If UGA does file reviews, def take advantage and people around here are majorly helpful in the "what are my chances?" thread!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS (MD) waitlisted

IS rejected. 2nd time applicant. Can't wait to learn how to strengthen myself for next year at the workshop! Now off to work for the next 10 hours while attempting to act like I'm fine :confused:

IS rejected. 2nd time applicant. Can't wait to learn how to strengthen myself for next year at the workshop! Now off to work for the next 10 hours while attempting to act like I'm fine :confused:
Workshop?

I wonder if it's a seat usually reserved for At Large applicants or a SC seat but they gave you OOS tuition? CSU did that for my IS friend initially, but eventually gave her IS tuition.
They said I'm waitlisted for the contract seat

I am so crushed! I had 13,000 hours of experience as a technician, a 3.8 Science, 3.5 last 45, 309 GRE, great LORs from 3 UGA grads. Also a male, which I was told mattered.

I am so crushed! I had 13,000 hours of experience as a technician, a 3.8 Science, 3.5 last 45, 309 GRE, great LORs from 3 UGA grads. Also a male, which I was told mattered.
That sucks :(
I had decent stats and a pathologist at UGA vet lab write me a letter and still rejected. Just not meant to be this year I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that :( Your stats seem very solid. Are you IS? How many times have you applied?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Happy for you all

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear that :( Your stats seem very solid. Are you IS? How many times have you applied?
OOS from SC. First time and likely only. I am 28 and have a family to consider. Who needs dreams anyways.

OOS from SC. First time and likely only. I am 28 and have a family to consider. Who needs dreams anyways.
Chin-up, you can make it work!! I'm sure your family would wholeheartedly support your pursuit of a DVM, maybe apply to other schools next cycle? You'll be feeling down for a while, but rejection is never the last and only answer. :)

OOS (FL resident) alternate list. Received an email around 1 PM today. :clap:

Thank you everyone for the congratulations! This means so much!

I do want to say for those of you still waiting or waitlisted...I got 3 rejections (and that's only counting uga), and 1 alternate letter before getting this acceptance. Don't let anyone tell you can't and whatever you do DO NOT give up on yourself.

Y'all got this :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!!! When you were waitlisted, when did you contact Parker to figure out your seat number? Also when did they let you know that they were no longer taking people from the waitlist? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how the in state waitlist process works :)

IS Accepted!

I agree with what everyone above said about meeting with Parker! I met with him my junior year undergrad after being advised by a mentor to do so and he spent an hour going through my resume and talking to me about my experiences and all my questions. I'm pretty positive that meeting helped me complete a successful application. He even told me exactly what to write word-for-word in the "explanation" section on the application about withdrawing from and retaking a class.

I believe in all of you who were rejected or waitlisted! Remember how competitive of a field we're in! For that reason, it can often be a crapshoot who gets in and who doesn't.

Reactions: 3 users

Wow I'm surprised to hear that with those stats. Do you have both small and large animal experience?

Congrats!!! When you were waitlisted, when did you contact Parker to figure out your seat number? Also when did they let you know that they were no longer taking people from the waitlist? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how the in state waitlist process works :)

On my alternate letter there was a specific date when you could call and ask. I believe it was April 15 (the commit date).

They never actually correspond with you unless you contact them first. So if you don't call or email for updates, they won't tell you the class is full

being male doesn't matter for admissions.

many schools have about the same ratio of men to women as the applicants. so being a male does nothing to help or hinder your chances.

sometimes, these things make no sense. if they allow for a review, you should take advantage of that

Just curious-- other OOSers that were waitlisted/accepted, what other schools have y'all been accepted to?

Just curious-- other OOSers that were waitlisted/accepted, what other schools have y'all been accepted to?
OOS from FL! Accepted at Oregon State and Lincoln-Memorial, waitlisted at UGA, rejected from Colorado State, still waiting to hear back from UF.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm sorry, friend. :( I was hoping so, so much that UGA would come through for you this year.

Feel free to PM me here or on FB if you want to talk/vent at all.
So depressing to have poured so much time, energy, heart, and soul for nothing. I am surprised I didn't get at least one interview... I know Oregon could still come thru but I'm not optimistic.

Congrats everyone!

I think I'm going to try again next year (this was my first year applying). Though I thought my stats were pretty good this time around :(

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting, so please excuse any mistakes....Just wondering if anyone that has applied has NOT received an e-mail (for better or worse) today? I've checked constantly since word broke on here, and I've received nothing. I realize at this point it's likely bad news for me, but I am anxious to find out. Anyone in the same boat?

I got OOS waitlisted, I've been accepted to Kansas State. I interviewed at TAMU and Tufts, still waiting to hear back. Rejected from CSU.

Long time lurker here.... Congratulations to everyone that was accepted!

Rejected SC Resident
First time I applied

Round two here we go....

OOS from IL. Waitlisted at Cornell and UGA. Interviewed at Auburn, Tufts, and Illinois. Rejected from UCDavis, CSU, Penn

If anyone needs a place to get small animal experience for next cycle and lives in or near Atlanta, let me know. I volunteer at a shelter every other Sunday from 11:30-4 in a low-cost clinic and will need to leave in the fall, but I could leave earlier to pass the torch to someone who needs the experience and can commit to being there.

It's great because the hours are steady but pretty low-impact (it's not too early and only every 2 weeks, but it adds up over time) and you are under a vet so it counts as vet experience. It would require a commitment to be there every other Sunday, but it's great experience and they are fine with you missing a Sunday here and there, just not regularly - there is a clinic this Sunday (2/19), just add every 2 weeks out from that if you want to consider your schedule. Basically, I draw up the vaccines for the clinic, but I do it in the exam room and the doc lets me hold, age dogs by their teeth, watch surgery if I get there a little early, etc. Requires a volunteer orientation, but then it's just the clinic. Just PM me if interested!

SC resident, accepted IS! 3.97 GPA, 4.0 science GPA, 316 GRE. 500 hours small animal, 500 hours large animal (mostly equine), 700 hours poultry exclusive animal experience, 700 hours research. Also accepted at CSU but definitely going to GA! Much cheaper!!

SC resident, accepted IS! 3.97 GPA, 4.0 science GPA, 316 GRE. 500 hours small animal, 500 hours large animal (mostly equine), 700 hours poultry exclusive animal experience, 700 hours research. Also accepted at CSU but definitely going to GA! Much cheaper!!
Wow basically perfection.

Accepted to UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, and Midwestern. Waitlisted to NC State, VA-MD, and UGA.

Just Small animal.
Your stats are Better than mine. I got in last year on my second attempt. I would definitely advise meeting with Parker for your application review, but like someone already said, they will tell you to get large animal experience (was the case for me). If you haven't already, rack up some volunteer hours somewhere (Parker told me literally anywhere is Good, but I volunteered at pet smart for Athens humane society adoption days). And the last piece of advice that I think helped get me in is to make sure you have a strong personal statement. That is your one and only chance to show yourself off because they don't do interviews at UGA.
I know it sucks but just do everything you can to strengthen your application and try again!
If you have any questions you can PM me too. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
OOS from FL! Accepted at Oregon State and Lincoln-Memorial, waitlisted at UGA, rejected from Colorado State, still waiting to hear back from UF.
We are like the same person! I was waitlisted at UGA, accepted at Oregon, still waiting on UF and UTK. Oh, and I'm from Florida. You go girl❤️

Accepted OOS from Virginia! I was accepted at UC Davis, Colorado, and UPenn, waitlisted at NC State and Virginia Maryland, still waiting on Tufts and Ohio.

Reactions: 3 users
We are like the same person! I was waitlisted at UGA, accepted at Oregon, still waiting on UF and UTK. Oh, and I'm from Florida. You go girl❤️
Hahaha, yesss girl! We are seriously the same. I will laugh so hard if we end up becoming classmates!! I can't wait to find out about our UF decisions and see where we both end up! :joyful:

Just got this email today, not sure if other alternates did too:

"I have received several emails from students looking to learn their placement on the alternate list. Please know that we are unable to give you that information until after April 15th. However, please turn in your forms prior to that date."

So, I am an OOS alternate from NJ. I've never actually visited UGA (or Georgia at all!) and was wondering if there is an opportunity to do so? I really want to visit to get a better feel for the school/learn more about the program, even though I haven't gotten in (yet!).

So, I am an OOS alternate from NJ. I've never actually visited UGA (or Georgia at all!) and was wondering if there is an opportunity to do so? I really want to visit to get a better feel for the school/learn more about the program, even though I haven't gotten in (yet!).

Hi there - I went and visited the school before I was an applicant. I just emailed admissions ahead of time and they were willing to meet with me and show me around. I think you can also make appointments for a tour with the new hospital on their website.

IS rejected. For those that got in, do you mind sharing some of your stats?
I just posted in the Accepted Applicant Stats 2021 page if you're still curious.