UCLA student's pharm pre-req at CC ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didi1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not an impossible dream, but it'll take some time. People spend much of their 4 undergraduate years completing the pre-reqs. Many schools require about 90 quarter units-worth of pre-reqs (I know UCSF and UCSD want about 90). If you're taking nothing but pre-req classes you may be able to get all those done in 2 years, but with all the sciences that is an intense workload.

Pharmacy schools generally will not allow you to take the science classes at community colleges. Many will explicitly say you must take them at 4 year institutions. Some UCLA Extension classes are quite easy. I took PHYSCI X401 for my physio+lab requirement.

Oh and to clarify one thing: many schools will allow you to still have a couple courses left to take as long as you finish them earlier in the year of matriculation. I would definitely have the science courses done before applying, though.

Biology and chemistry are big parts of pharmacy! Not all, but I think you should at least be interested in them. Goodluck!

I have to say even you want to take courses in CC and UCLA concurrently, it's still challenging. Because science courses in CC usually come with lab, if you have to go to places to places then the time may conflict. And don't even assume that science class in CC will be much easier because you're aiming "A"s not just passing the class. It's 93% out of 100. (for some CC, they will curve the grade but it's still very hard to get A)

A lot of pharm schools accept CC transcript but USC prefers 4yrs university. If you really want to go to pharmacy, you can choose other minor or 2nd major rather than poli sci. or on first quarter you can take one or two chem/bio classes to have a feeling of the difficulty. But fairly speaking, if you spend some time in studying, it's not hard to get good grades in UCLA except lab courses.