UCLA Extension Premed Certificate Fall 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Procyonarc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. If you're planning to go for this option starting in late September, how about we get a group going and/or answer any questions that prospective post bacs might have. Maybe we can help each other out!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I started last fall and I can tell you it was the best decision I've made as an informal post bac student. Study hard!!! I've managed to get straight A's this entire year while working 45+ hours a week.

Hi! I started last fall and I can tell you it was the best decision I've made as an informal post bac student. Study hard!!! I've managed to get straight A's this entire year while working 45+ hours a week.

Hey there KittyKat00! What do you recommend on a good course load for someone working full-time while maintaining an A? Is 2 classes a quarter a lot? I plan to start UCLA Extension this Winter 2017 and I've been out of school for several years.

Hi KittyKat00,
I just joined this forum. I am planning to start classes at UCLA Ext. for fall 2017. I need to increase my GPA and looked at all other programs but decided on this. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there KittyKat00! What do you recommend on a good course load for someone working full-time while maintaining an A? Is 2 classes a quarter a lot? I plan to start UCLA Extension this Winter 2017 and I've been out of school for several years.
Hi ayjaystudent,
I plan on starting classes in September 2017. I was hoping you could give me some advice on how it has been for you.

Hi! I actually used this program to increase my sGPA. I started with a 3.1 undergrad and ended with a 3.87 post bac GPA. I HIGHLY recommend. As far as what classes you should take, you should focus on courses you got a C+ or below on during our undergrad years or classes that you have not taken. Remember, they must be BCPM classes and nothing else!! I actually took 2 classes per quarter as a full-time working student, part-time hospital volunteer and I think that that was definitely enough to be able to manage the balance.

Hi KittyKat00,
I just joined this forum. I am planning to start classes at UCLA Ext. for fall 2017. I need to increase my GPA and looked at all other programs but decided on this. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Jackie201! See my above reply. I hope this helps!

Hi KittyKat00 or anyone else who has taken UCLA extension classes,
I'm thinking of attending UCLA extension starting this fall. Have you asked any of the professors to write a letter of recommendation for you and was that difficult to do? What about research? I would love to gain some research experience. Was that possible through Extension?

Hi! I actually used this program to increase my sGPA. I started with a 3.1 undergrad and ended with a 3.87 post bac GPA. I HIGHLY recommend. As far as what classes you should take, you should focus on courses you got a C+ or below on during our undergrad years or classes that you have not taken. Remember, they must be BCPM classes and nothing else!! I actually took 2 classes per quarter as a full-time working student, part-time hospital volunteer and I think that that was definitely enough to be able to manage the balance.
Hi,
May I ask what classes did you take that counts toward BCPM? I'm a little unsure if AAMC counts a few of the online courses through UCLA ext. Thanks

I had the same issue so I just followed AAMC's definition of BCPM (they have a chart somewhere on their site that defines what specific subjects fall under BCPM). But to break it down I took the three class biochem series, organic chem 2, molecular bio, cell bio, pulmonary physio, stats, cardiopath physiology, neuro, pathology and endocrinology.

Hi,
May I ask what classes did you take that counts toward BCPM? I'm a little unsure if AAMC counts a few of the online courses through UCLA ext. Thanks

Hi KittyKat00 or anyone else who has taken UCLA extension classes,
I'm thinking of attending UCLA extension starting this fall. Have you asked any of the professors to write a letter of recommendation for you and was that difficult to do? What about research? I would love to gain some research experience. Was that possible through Extension?
Hi, yes I'm applying this year and I have 2 of my professors writing my letter. Research isn't offered through extension you have to pursue that outside of it.

Hi, yes I'm applying this year and I have 2 of my professors writing my letter. Research isn't offered through extension you have to pursue that outside of it.

Did you yourself do research? Do you know others in your cohort who were successful in obtaining research experiences in Los Angeles as extension students of this program?

Hi ayjaystudent,
I plan on starting classes in September 2017. I was hoping you could give me some advice on how it has been for you.

Hi Jackie. Just seeing this now. It's been great so far! I still have about a few more quarters to go!

Did you yourself do research? Do you know others in your cohort who were successful in obtaining research experiences in Los Angeles as extension students of this program?

Extension doesn't have a research program. You'll have to be proactive. One UCLA organization is called EMRA and they do recruit non-UCLA students to be part of their research program (one of my classmates got in). I also know one classmate of mine who reached out to a professor. In any case, The reality is that research hours are hard to come by regardless of the institution. You'll have to proactively seek them out.

Hi Jackie. Just seeing this now. It's been great so far! I still have about a few more quarters to go!

Extension doesn't have a research program. You'll have to be proactive. One UCLA organization is called EMRA and they do recruit non-UCLA students to be part of their research program (one of my classmates got in). I also know one classmate of mine who reached out to a professor. In any case, The reality is that research hours are hard to come by regardless of the institution. You'll have to proactively seek them out.

Thanks for the reply. Is there transit from Hollywood to UCLA? Or how are prices for rental lease apartments in Los Angeles? What are some of the good areas for students? Conversely what are the rough areas to avoid? How is campus housing? Which housing option would you suggest not for lifestyle but for success in the program (optimal commute vs cost ratio) in LA?

Also what is Cal tech like? Would it be insane to try to do research there and the postbacc at UCLA simultaneously?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering why do you choose UCLA extension as a DIY post bacc instead of let say a Cal State. I am debating on doing either UCLA extension premed certificate or CSUN Postbacc pogram. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering why do you choose UCLA extension as a DIY post bacc instead of let say a Cal State. I am debating on doing either UCLA extension premed certificate or CSUN Postbacc pogram. Thank you.

Distance. UCLA campus is a couple miles away from where I live.