This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee_M

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just started the UCLA extension pre-medical and general science studies certificate this fall (2016). I feel a little lost and I am quite new to the area. I haven't met anyone doing this certificate program in my classes so far. This program is also not as structured as I thought it would be. So far, I feel like it's pretty much a do it yourself program. I was hoping to create this forum as a way for us all to connect in this program. Maybe those who have already been in the program can give the newbies some advice and tips or even current students can find others who are in the same boat as them/study buddies.

Maybe we can start off with these simple questions:

1. What was your undergraduate major? - Psychology (with very little science background)
2. What classes are you taking this quarter? - Calculus, Stats, and Chemistry
3. What health career are you planning on doing? (Example, medicine, pharmacy, Vet, etc) - Medicine

I look forward to hearing from you all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I'm considering taking UCLA extension classes next year. What other schools did you consider since your'e in the LA area?

I'm starting the UCLA Extension Pre Med certificate this coming quarter. Anyone else? Personal experiences or tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
Searching the site for "UCLA Extension" will give you some threads on people who have completed the program and their experiences with it. I can give my insight.

I took pretty much all my pre-reqs through extension. A few pre-reqs and upper divs I took on the main campus through UCLA Extension's concurrent enrollment program, which I would recommend if you're able. Classes are offered in the evenings and weekends and are usually about 3-4 hours a session. It's basically like cramming a 1 hr MWF class into one night, so each session is packed with a lot of material and can really be a test of patience lol. I recommend you audio record your lectures if possible.

I thought all my professors were very good. Some of them are even professors with the main campus or at other universities and do the extension gig on the side, so your instructors are pretty qualified. One or two I felt were kind of iffy, but everyone else was great. You also will learn the same stuff as they do on the main campus since the syllabus standards are provided and approved by the main campus's departments. I never felt like my education was lacking, which certainly showed when I enrolled in classes with main campus and was able to keep up.

The professors don't really have office hours, but most arrive early or stay late and have casual office hours so you can seek help then. Most of my profs were also very willing to help through e-mail. One thing I will say is I felt the exams given by UCLA extension classes were not as challenging as those given on the main campus. Not saying they were "easy", but they were more like memorizing and regurgitating concepts whereas UCLA's exams tended to be based around experimental/data analysis and require more critical thinking.

Almost none of my classes were curved, so make sure you have good study habits. Most of my classmates were older and more mature, with a good handle on how to manage themselves so the averages tended to be pretty high (~80%). Likely you'll be facing a similar group of classmates.

There's also not really any counseling to help you figure out what to do but I think that's done on purpose. It's meant to be very open so everyone can pick and choose what classes they need. Everyone has different goals with different requirements, so it's up to you to do your research and figure out what you want to get from the program. If you need help on that front SDnet and Google are your friends. UCLA Extension also isn't huge and doesn't have a consistent student body so I imagine it would be difficult to keep advisors around. Most pre-med advisors aren't really well-equipped to handle non-traditional students anyways.

So TL;DR - the program is very independent and it's up to you to figure out what you need. It's just there to provide you credits. So long as you put in the work you will leave with a solid foundation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful to hear from someone with experience.
In your opinion, is it feasible to get some letters of Rec from extension program professors?
It's one of my main concerns as a non-trad...not having sufficient recommendations from professors since I've been out of school for so long.

Yes. I'm getting one from one of my profs. Since they do not have traditional office hours it can be difficult getting to know them but there are ways you can go around that: participate in class, sit in the front-ish so they recognize you, talk to them before or after class, e-mail them, etc... Most of my profs made an effort to learn our names. Ask for the letter of rec right away after the class ends/grades are out because after 2 weeks you'll lose access to canvas which is how you will primarily contact your profs. Of course your profs might be different than the ones I had, but I think you'll be able to get a feel for which are more receptive than others.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful to hear from someone with experience.
In your opinion, is it feasible to get some letters of Rec from extension program professors?
It's one of my main concerns as a non-trad...not having sufficient recommendations from professors since I've been out of school for so long.
Hi, i am also considering UCLA extenstion and was wondering if you have applied to other school?