Not open for further replies.

Rockydog1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UCSD is a great place for premed in my opinion. There are plenty of research opportunities: UCSD, Salk institute, Scripps, Sanford consortium, etc. Top notch research being done here in SD. Also, there are like billion hospitals. Scripps hospitals, UCSD health system, Sharp, etc there are at least like 15 big ones around San Diego. So yea opportunities are there. However, there is that weeding out and grade deflation. You gotta be top 10% or so to keep up with competitive gpa, which can be tough. That means you gotta be that 1 out of 10 UCSD students who are premed, predental, prepharm, etc. From my experience, i was able to take advantage of opportunities: programs that hook you up with faculty members, TAship, summer research scholarship with symposium, etc. But you gotta actively work for the opportunities and excel in what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi there! Thank you so much for your insight. From your experience, I was wondering if you believe getting a high GPA at UCSD is attainable? I have already mapped out my 4 year plan for my major and will need to take into account any changes. How has your experience been at UCSD as a PreMed student and the application process for medical school; were you able to get into medical school? :)

I mean it is definitely doable, its just that you gotta go above and beyond an average. Youll probably have not much time to hang out and have fun but if you manage your time well you can spare some time on weekends. Im reapplying this cycle so hopefully works out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also going to be at SD this fall! Really fell for the campus and atmosphere. I was also impressed to see the huge line of hospitals right across the street. I've heard that the premed vibe is not cutthroat like other top UCs/undergrads in general. Also, there are premed clubs that go down to mexico for volunteering opps.

I'm also going to be at SD this fall! Really fell for the campus and atmosphere. I was also impressed to see the huge line of hospitals right across the street. I've heard that the premed vibe is not cutthroat like other top UCs/undergrads in general. Also, there are premed clubs that go down to mexico for volunteering opps.

Yea ppl work hard but they are no gunners that ive seen haha

Welcome to UCSD! I was in your position 4 years ago and also asked others about this school on SDN. :) Like someone mentioned above me, there's a lot of opportunities for you to succeed as a premed. It's good that you're planning ahead so that you know exactly what to do --taking courses in prep for MCAT, application cycles, extracurriculars, etc. From my experience, the weeder courses aren't particularly hard, except for CHEM 140B. One tip I always tell others is to take the ochem series off sequence, meaning CHEM 140A aim winter quarter, CHEM 140B spring, etc. The standards are a lot lower. Took CHEM 140A and CHEM 140B along with everyone else in fall and winter, and they were some of the harder weeder classes at UCSD. Took CHEM 140C in spring, dropped to take a W after receiving my midterm grade, and retook next winter quarter to get an A+. And trust me when I say that the standards are different because I used my material from the quarter I dropped to prep and I couldn't even finish his practice midterm. So yeah! Start the series in winter quarter because I've had a handful of friends who had to drop CHEM 140A in fall after failing their midterms only to take CHEM 140A again in winter --their midterms and finals are cake.

But I think what's more difficult is managing all your classes along with your extracurriculars, especially as a freshman when you're trying to make new friends. I knew I wanted to apply the cycle before senior year, so I joined a lot of clubs to figure out which one was worthwhile. Know what you're able to handle or your GPA will tank! I know A LOT of my friends who's GPAs were dragged down because of their freshman year. Don't be afraid to take 12 units when others are taking like 20, lol. Good luck! PM me if you have specific questions.

Edit: if you think you're up for it, you can go on port triton and look for a lab position now before you start freshman year. Even if you haven't taken any classes (which doesn't even really matter in my experience), they'll like you more than current 2nd or 3rd years if you say that you'll be staying for 3+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi there,

I graduated UCSD as a Biochemistry major a few months ago. IMO it is a great place for pre-meds if you're willing to work hard. I managed to maintain a decent social life, but definitely spent ALOT of time studying. First year, a lot of students will go in wanting to become doctors, but honestly 25% of them are still pre-med senior year. They join clubs, frats, etc and get lost in the fun. Anyways, my point is- getting that dream GPA is possible if you sacrifice some fun time. It'll be worth it in the end because honestly the classes were not that hard if you study just 10% harder then the rest. Unfortunately (but also fortunately) almost all your classes will be based off of some curve. SO. Your first 40% in Ochem can still land you an A in the class. I cried so many times as an undergrad because I thought maybe I wasn't smart enough or I was gonna do poorly. I've never been a "smart person" but I graduated at the top of my class and it proves that hard work goes a long way!

Get experience in a lab, volunteer at the VA, etc. I wasn't pre-med when I started UCSD but ended up joining a lab that really got me interested in translational and clinical medicine. There are so many opportunities. I TAed Biochemistry my last few quarters, then went to study abroad my last semester. You'll be busy as a pre-med, but honestly college is supposed to be fun. Don't give up ALL of your time to study.. join clubs, meet people, go to the beach. Maintaining a balance is key to success. San Diego is so beautiful. Good luck! Let me know if you might have any questions :)

Definitely take all the advice as mentioned above, I think that they're pretty spot on about UCSD and the pre-med curriculum. At such an amazing and beautiful school it's seriously so easy to get lost and kinda wander off your path (which is okay! you can take a detour every now and then!)

As a general warning, I believe it was something like 50% of UCSD are bio majors coming in. It's competitive. Of my large group of friends when I first started freshman year we were ALL bio majors (about 10 of us), graduating today only 3 of us are still bio majors. One of us still plans on attending medical school (yo). So definitely play hard, but make sure you're working even harder.

Finally, I want to warn against doing too much too soon. A lot of my friends, being the ambitious ones they are, forgot the importance of spacing themselves out more strategically and it always 100% collapsed on them. Take things easy and do things when you feel ready. Do NOT be afraid to say you're not ready or you don't have the time to commit to something. I graduate this year and I think this is the best piece of advice I could ever offer to any undergraduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.