UC Davis SVM Class of 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's stray away from the interrogation like mood in this thread. In terms of applications, I see that the interviews are the first/second week of December and the fact that we find out UC Davis' decision in January (i think) does this mean we will know if we got in (or not!) before all the other vet schools let us know their decisions?
Depends on when the other schools let you know, but Davis is definitely up there for earliest decisions. I only knew Kansas earlier, and they had given me an early decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's stray away from the interrogation like mood in this thread. In terms of applications, I see that the interviews are the first/second week of December and the fact that we find out UC Davis' decision in January (i think) does this mean we will know if we got in (or not!) before all the other vet schools let us know their decisions?

Just curious! And I don't want someone thinking that where you're from matters when it really doesn't (aside from IS/OOS/WICHE, of course).

But yeah, they let us know January 6 this year. I purposely scheduled some other interviews later and then cancelled them once I found out.

I received acceptances from maybe 4 or so schools before I heard from Davis. But I think it really depends on which schools you apply to and where you are on the acceptance list (some schools make early decisions for some applicants, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying for the second time! Just added Davis to the list :)

Reactions: 1 users
So any word on whether there are additional essays or not? Their website sounds like pre-interview is solely quantitively based.

It's weird for UC Davis though, because they didn't used to even read the personal statement- strictly numbers until interviews. I guess they're really changing things this year!

It's funny how you guys say "used to" - when I applied during the stone age (2009-2010), it was before the current system was in place and they did take a much more "holistic" view. I am not so sure that I would have gotten in under the application review process that was used this past year and the few years before it.

It's funny how you guys say "used to" - when I applied during the stone age (2009-2010), it was before the current system was in place and they did take a much more "holistic" view. I am not so sure that I would have gotten in under the application review process that was used this past year and the few years before it.

Yeah, it's a fairly recent change. Who knows what they have planned :shrug:

Hey there, I'm new here and a first time applicant!

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but how does Davis calculate the science GPA? Does it include all science courses or just the science pre-reqs? I remember reading somewhere that it was only the pre-reqs, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case. If it is, how do AP scores fit into that?

Hey there, I'm new here and a first time applicant!

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but how does Davis calculate the science GPA? Does it include all science courses or just the science pre-reqs? I remember reading somewhere that it was only the pre-reqs, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case. If it is, how do AP scores fit into that?

This is what I have in my portal from last year:

Cumulative GPA: UC Davis and VMCAS includes the original and repeated grade in all GPA calculations even if your college did not include the original grade in the overall calculation.

Last 45 GPA: Calculation is based on a minimum of the last 45 graded semester units or 67.5 quarter units using the closest credit's term. This calculation may include any repeated coursework. This calculation is different from the VMCAS year by year calculation.

Overall Science: If repeated courses, the original grade and repeated grade will be included in this calculation. Includes all science courses in the following fields:

• Animal Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Microbiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Life Science
  • Other Science
  • Physics
So it's pretty vague. The science GPA Davis calculated for me was the same as one of the science GPAs VMCAS gave me (the higher one, thankfully), but I don't know if that's a coincidence. IIRC, there were two VMCAS science GPAs and this wasn't the main one. I have no idea if that makes sense- if you tell me the names of the two science GPAs, I can probably tell you which one it was.

Oh and AP scores won't be included unless you received college credit with a grade for the AP score (which is pretty rare). Davis accepts AP scores for lower-level pre-reqs, but they won't go into your GPAs since you don't have a grade for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish I could apply to UC Davis but unfortunately I have taken 1 A&P class and I can't take the second one this Fall because I have to take 4 other science classes. Ugh! There are only a few schools with that requirement :/

I wish I could apply to UC Davis but unfortunately I have taken 1 A&P class and I can't take the second one this Fall because I have to take 4 other science classes. Ugh! There are only a few schools with that requirement :/
Is it possible to take it in the spring/winter semester? I think most schools you just have to have prereqs done by the end of that semester (so done May-ish)
I think @Coopah took physiology(?) recently for Davis so she'd be able to talk about that with more knowledge than me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to take it in the spring/winter semester? I think most schools you just have to have prereqs done by the end of that semester (so done May-ish)
I think @Coopah took physiology(?) recently for Davis so she'd be able to talk about that with more knowledge than me.
Yes! I did take the phisiology prerequisite this spring. As long as it's done in the spring semester they will count it! I took mine online because my schedule didn't match with my school and they took that. You only need physiology not anatomy. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately I go to a small LAC and so the second course is only offered in Fall (as well as the other science courses I have to take). It's super ridiculous because all I have to take in Spring is physics II and my senior capstone but I need 12 credits to remain eligible for athletics. I was planning to take nutrition online in order to cover the NC pre-req. I'm wondering if there is a way to game the system and apply to NC state and UC Davis but not end up having to take both physiology and nutrition online. Like I wonder when both schools send out interviews/acceptances. Is it before January?

Also UCD's website says "Students may apply to veterinary school after 75 percent of the science prerequisites have been completed (approx. three courses may be pending at the time application is submitted.) Remaining prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring term prior to matriculation." This is sort of confusing to me. Does it mean when I submit my app in three weeks that I should only have 3 courses to take? That's what it seems like which would mean I am ineligible to apply. Or does it mean that after fall semester I should only have 3? I haven't taken genetics, biochemistry, either semester of physics, or the other half of the physiology course. I'm taking physics 1, genetics, and biochem in fall (as well as microbio).

Unfortunately I go to a small LAC and so the second course is only offered in Fall (as well as the other science courses I have to take). It's super ridiculous because all I have to take in Spring is physics II and my senior capstone but I need 12 credits to remain eligible for athletics. I was planning to take nutrition online in order to cover the NC pre-req. I'm wondering if there is a way to game the system and apply to NC state and UC Davis but not end up having to take both physiology and nutrition online. Like I wonder when both schools send out interviews/acceptances. Is it before January?

Also UCD's website says "Students may apply to veterinary school after 75 percent of the science prerequisites have been completed (approx. three courses may be pending at the time application is submitted.) Remaining prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring term prior to matriculation." This is sort of confusing to me. Does it mean when I submit my app in three weeks that I should only have 3 courses to take? That's what it seems like which would mean I am ineligible to apply. Or does it mean that after fall semester I should only have 3? I haven't taken genetics, biochemistry, either semester of physics, or the other half of the physiology course. I'm taking physics 1, genetics, and biochem in fall (as well as microbio).
I don't know the exact answer but if I were in your situation I might call to confirm with the admissions office. In addition, I'm not sure whether you can take a combined A&P course. I would double check. It may be 100% fine, but I know there was a biology course I took that I needed to take from another school as well (same EXACT material) because it didn't mention one of the topics in the course information document (even though it was covered in the class). I might just double check with the office :).

Does anyone know which specific online or correspondence courses satisfy their physiology prerequisite?
No, but I would fill out one of the equivalency forms to get it approved. That way you will know for sure! But I'm sure there are people who have taken them online that can chime in. I took it in-person.

Does anyone know which specific online or correspondence courses satisfy their physiology prerequisite?

Pretty sure @Coopah did the one through UNE. Either way, it's good to check before you take it because their standards may change year to year. They're generally really fast about responding when you fill out the course substitution form.

I don't know the exact answer but if I were in your situation I might call to confirm with the admissions office. In addition, I'm not sure whether you can take a combined A&P course. I would double check. It may be 100% fine, but I know there was a biology course I took that I needed to take from another school as well (same EXACT material) because it didn't mention one of the topics in the course information document (even though it was covered in the class). I might just double check with the office :).
It says it can be combined A&P if you take the full sequence, which I can't :/. Oregon state said just 1 is fine. I think Ohio state and like Iowa state also require two semesters?

It says it can be combined A&P if you take the full sequence, which I can't :/. Oregon state said just 1 is fine. I think Ohio state and like Iowa state also require two semesters?
Oh wow I didn't realize that. I took a one-semester physiology class. Both Ohio State and Iowa State took that (as well as UCD). You might check with the other schools about your dilemma though. I did not realize you could take A&P. I guess I never really looked into it as it was not offered where I went to school. There may be some online options as well (perhaps you could take part 2 online?). Remember, you can have courses pending when you apply. But not the majority (depends on the school).

I did take mine at UNE but I would still fill out their course subsitution form to make sure. Never take chances.
100 percent agree. With UC Davis and EVERY school... get approval in WRITING! I had one school ask me how I was fulfilling a prerequisite that they had already approved... thank goodness I had it in writing :).

When will we have access to our supp apps?

QUESTION FOR RE-APPLICANTS:

When I first started my app, VMCAS gave me the option to "start over" or "Transfer my info" from last year to this years application cycle (This is my second time applying)
I obviously transferred my information...will it be an issue that my GRE score was accepted on 8/17/2016?
At this point My app is complete and Verified, I'm just afraid Davis might turn around and demand an updated report. What do you all think?

Thanks!!

QUESTION FOR RE-APPLICANTS:

When I first started my app, VMCAS gave me the option to "start over" or "Transfer my info" from last year to this years application cycle (This is my second time applying)
I obviously transferred my information...will it be an issue that my GRE score was accepted on 8/17/2016?
At this point My app is complete and Verified, I'm just afraid Davis might turn around and demand an updated report. What do you all think?

Thanks!!
I had the same question and called VMCAS I think two weeks ago(?) and they told me that it was all fine and dandy that my gre was accepted last year for the schools I'm applying to a second time. Just had to send in a new score report if I took another gre since then (and wanted to use that score) or for schools I didn't apply to last year (and use a VMCAS gre code)
You could always call tomorrow and have actual VMCAS tell you this too if you're still worried though.

I had the same question and called VMCAS I think two weeks ago(?) and they told me that it was all fine and dandy that my gre was accepted last year for the schools I'm applying to a second time. Just had to send in a new score report if I took another gre since then (and wanted to use that score) or for schools I didn't apply to last year (and use a VMCAS gre code)
You could always call tomorrow and have actual VMCAS tell you this too if you're still worried though.
Hello thank you for the prompt response. Yes, I've only taken it once (last year) and don't have plans to do it again. I called Admissions and having the representative confirm with her Supervisor/Manager. I will keep you updated.

I was worried because the email we received last week indicated the following: "If you are a re-applicant from last year, you will need to send another score report to VMCAS for this application cycle."

Admissions responded with the following:

"Since your application is already verified by VMCAS and it looks like the scores have been upload and everything, it should be alright. However, in most cases we tell people they need to re-send them each year as that is what were told by ETS, so it may be a good idea just to re-send them to be safe. Perhaps calling VMCAS directly and making sure that the scores are in fact uploaded and good could be an option as well."

Admissions responded with the following:

"Since your application is already verified by VMCAS and it looks like the scores have been upload and everything, it should be alright. However, in most cases we tell people they need to re-send them each year as that is what were told by ETS, so it may be a good idea just to re-send them to be safe. Perhaps calling VMCAS directly and making sure that the scores are in fact uploaded and good could be an option as well."
If it were me, I would resend just to be safe. While it may cost a little more, it would ease my mind. But that's me.

Anyone receive the supplemental application from Davis yet?

Anyone receive the supplemental application from Davis yet?
If I remember correctly, that didn't come out until a bit after the application deadline. Maybe it will come out sooner for you all, though :).

So I just got the email update from Admissions with the personal statement prompt. They also mentioned "several questions." Does anyone know whether these are just simple biographical questions or essay questions that require so. much. more. time.? I thought I was all done with the writing and revising for apps at this point... Alas.

So I just got the email update from Admissions with the personal statement prompt. They also mentioned "several questions." Does anyone know whether these are just simple biographical questions or essay questions that require so. much. more. time.? I thought I was all done with the writing and revising for apps at this point... Alas.

Earlier today, VMCAS sent out a notice to all applicants regarding an extension to the VMCAS deadline due to the recent hurricanes. Please note, we strongly encourage all applicants not affected by the hurricanes to submit their application by the original September 15th deadline. All of your supporting documents (transcripts, GRE scores and eLORs) should already be requested and either received or in transit to VMCAS. The extended deadline of September 29th is being implemented to assist those applicants that have been tragically affected by the hurricanes and have no method of submitting their applications due to evacuations, power outages, and situations beyond their control.

In order for us to import your application from VMCAS and consider you for admission, your application must be verified and all documents received. Once your application has been imported, you will receive an email from us providing instructions to complete your UC Davis SVM Applicant Portal. The Portal includes several questions, a personal statement and processing fee. The *personal statement is a new requirement this year (information below).

Unnecessarily, delaying the submission of your application will mean a delay in the verification process by VMCAS (this can take up to 30 days depending on VMCAS workload) and a delay in accessing your portal. We will be conducting multiple mini interivews (MMI) on Dec. 7, 8, 11 & 12 and our goal is to post interview notices to Applicant Portals by November 17th to give interviewees time to make travel plans. Therefore, it's important that applicants complete their portal requirements in a timely manner to give our Admissions Committee time to evaluate applicants before interview offers are posted.

To our applicants affected by the hurricanes, we wish you the best and look forward to receiving your applications as soon as possible.

If you have already submitted your application to VMCAS and your status is VERIFIED, we will be importing your application this Friday, 9/15 and you will receive an email from us with instructions to access your Applicant Portal.

If you have questions, please email us at [email protected].

Office of Admissions, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis has a prompt now! YAY another opportunity for them to consider applicants! A more holistic approach :)

I already got the link to the portal, it's basic questions a few on gender and ethnicity then just the statement prompt that's given in the email (2000 characters). Plus verifying all the info they downloaded is correct, so super straightforward aside from the one surprise essay...

Does anyone know what type of questions the MMI consists of? Not asking for specific questions but looking for general idea of what topics are asked. Also does anyone have a MMI study guidebook to practice using? All I see there is a general MMI book or med school MMI. I'm about to leave on a 3 month study abroad trip in Africa with no internet so I'm trying to get everything sorted out before I lose connection to everyone.
Thanks!

Does anyone know what type of questions the MMI consists of? Not asking for specific questions but looking for general idea of what topics are asked. Also does anyone have a MMI study guidebook to practice using? All I see there is a general MMI book or med school MMI. I'm about to leave on a 3 month study abroad trip in Africa with no internet so I'm trying to get everything sorted out before I lose connection to everyone.
Thanks!
While I can't address your question specifically (we signed an agreement on this), I can tell you the way that I prepared. I practiced all sorts of interview styles. It helped to have done other school interviews first as I could practice those areas I felt were not as strong. For me, this was the most fun of all the interviews, but I know that is not true for everyone. I tended to do well on non-personal based questions, so I made sure to practice personal questions more. If you have someone to practice with, have them make up all sorts of styles of questions and scenarios and then have them evaluate you so that you can find where you might need some practice. At the same time, some people say you cannot prepare. I think basic interview-skill preparation helped. The key is to not let what you do with one interviewer affect the next. Hope that helps in some shape or form.

Last edited:
@Meemo23

I already got the link to the portal, it's basic questions a few on gender and ethnicity then just the statement prompt that's given in the email (2000 characters). Plus verifying all the info they downloaded is correct, so super straightforward aside from the one surprise essay...

Ooh what's the prompt?

Thanks!

Anyone who's gone through the MMI process there can't really tell you anything (even general stuff), but I can also share how I prepared. I read the book Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty by Samir Desai (ebook for ~$10 on Amazon). At this point, I honestly can't remember what questions were in the interview or in the book, but the book gives a good overview of what the MMI process is like and what interviewers are looking for.

There's also a lot of good info about MMI online, so you certainly don't need to spend any money if you don't want to. I looked at practice questions online and thought about answers to them. Before the interview, Davis will send you some info about the structure of their MMIs (every school does it a little differently) and they do a brief explanation on the day of the interview, too. It's not nearly as scary as it sounds, promise!

I agree with @bombai that general interview prep is helpful. For any interview, it's good to think about why you want to be a vet, why schools should accept you, challenges you've overcome, what makes you special/different from other applicants, and what important life events (in vet med and out) have led you to where you are today. Those are not at all Davis-specific: I thought about those for non-MMI interviews too. If you can talk about those topics confidently, I think you'll be prepared for whatever questions they throw at you!

Here is what the email says :

The Portal includes several questions, a personal statement and processing fee.
The *personal statement is a new requirement this year (information below).
Personal statement is 2000 character max and criteria below :
The purpose of the personal statement is to get to know you as an individual and as a potential veterinary student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a veterinary degree. You can include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, community service, outreach activities, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey. In your response, please consider how your life experiences contribute to the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity within a campus community and your chosen field, or how you might serve educationally underrepresented or underserved segments of society with your veterinary education. (Limit 2000 characters)

Thanks!

My classmates have given you good advice (above) so the only thing I'll add is that I highly recommend practicing with another person using a timer. The MMI books can probably give you some guidance on how long you are typically given to answer each question in an MMI circuit. I tend to find that time pressure makes me feel overwhelmed so practicing being able to formulate my response and provide a good answer with limited time was critical in my MMI prep. If you really don't have anyone you can practice with, still time yourself and think about recording yourself so you can play it back. The MMI is so much about demonstrating solid communication skills under pressure. Good luck!

Thanks!
Make sure you are back before interviews!!!!! Haha

How the h*** is that even fair??? They don't even care about OOS's personal statement, veterinary and other experiences, VMCAS essay questions? ONLY GPA's and GRE scores? How the h*** is that even consider a "holistic" review?
Un effin believable
*The selection of interviewees is a two-step process:
Effective with the 2017-2018 application cycle interviewees will be selected as follows:

1.) The Admissions Committee will rank your application based on your GPA’s (most recent 45 semester units & overall VMCAS science GPA), highest quantitative GRE score, and three letters of recommendation.

• The top 180 applicants will be invited for interview based on their rank.
  • These top 180 interviewees will be comprised of the top 10% of the non-resident applicant pool (approximately 50 applicants) and the top 25% (approximately) of California/WICHE applicants.
2.) The next 180 applicants (California only) in rank order (based on the above factors) will be reviewed by the School’s Admissions Committee.

• The application review will include: personal statement, veterinary and other experiences, VMCAS essay questions, eLORs, and education.
  • The Admissions Committee will select the remaining 60 interviewees from the holistic application review.
  • 10-25 applicants will be placed on the interview waitlist

How the h*** is that even fair??? They don't even care about OOS's personal statement, veterinary and other experiences, VMCAS essay questions? ONLY GPA's and GRE scores? How the h*** is that even consider a "holistic" review?
Un effin believable
*The selection of interviewees is a two-step process:
Effective with the 2017-2018 application cycle interviewees will be selected as follows:

1.) The Admissions Committee will rank your application based on your GPA’s (most recent 45 semester units & overall VMCAS science GPA), highest quantitative GRE score, and three letters of recommendation.

• The top 180 applicants will be invited for interview based on their rank.
  • These top 180 interviewees will be comprised of the top 10% of the non-resident applicant pool (approximately 50 applicants) and the top 25% (approximately) of California/WICHE applicants.
2.) The next 180 applicants (California only) in rank order (based on the above factors) will be reviewed by the School’s Admissions Committee.

• The application review will include: personal statement, veterinary and other experiences, VMCAS essay questions, eLORs, and education.
  • The Admissions Committee will select the remaining 60 interviewees from the holistic application review.
  • 10-25 applicants will be placed on the interview waitlist
If I have learned anything, things aren't fair and that is just how things go. I'm sorry it's not the way you had hoped it would be. I wish they had taken into consideration our personal statements and other factors during the interview process for our class, but it was pretty much grades and GRE scores (along with the MMI). At least they are working to try to find some sort of middle ground. Perhaps they will broaden that to non-residents next year.

If I have learned anything, things aren't fair and that is just how things go. I'm sorry it's not the way you had hoped it would be. I wish they had taken into consideration our personal statements and other factors during the interview process for our class, but it was pretty much grades and GRE scores (along with the MMI). At least they are working to try to find some sort of middle ground. Perhaps they will broaden that to non-residents next year.
Are you already enrolled at UC Davis? Are you OOS?

?