UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What type of stethoscope and model did you get? I had been planning on buying one.
To be honest, I don't remember, but it has been sufficient for the labs you do as a first year. Stethoscopes also are often for sale for fairly cheap from other vet students. As far as brands go, littmans are probably the most common, particularly the classic II. I would make sure that if you buy a stethoscope, get it engraved with your initials - everyone tends to lose/misplace them. Another approach is to put a dog tag on it with your info.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I don't remember, but it has been sufficient for the labs you do as a first year. Stethoscopes also are often for sale for fairly cheap from other vet students. As far as brands go, littmans are probably the most common, particularly the classic II. I would make sure that if you buy a stethoscope, get it engraved with your initials - everyone tends to lose/misplace them. Another approach is to put a dog tag on it with your info.
Thanks! Do most students end up buying a new one for later in the curriculum or stick with that one?

Members don't see this ad :)
This year was the first year they gave them out, so can't say yet.
Got it. Thank you :). By any chance, did they give anything else out that we should avoid buying two of?

Got it. Thank you :). By any chance, did they give anything else out that we should avoid buying two of?
Nope, just the stethoscope and your white coat. In fourth year you'll probably want an extra lab coat or two, but until then one will suffice!

Reactions: 1 user
You're welcome! All students are required to take the business and communications classes in third year. I believe you can take multiple electives, in the case of the ones that are taught concurrently you *may* have to wait a year and take them with the class below you - but since most of them are 2-6 weeks you don't miss out on as many weeks of rotations that way.

That's good to know. What do people who are interested in wildlife typically do as far as choosing a track?

That's good to know. What do people who are interested in wildlife typically do as far as choosing a track?
I don't know - I'll ask around, but I think a fair number either do the zoological track or the small animal track with extra rotations/externships in CAPE/wildlife rehab.

So apparently there was a glitch and some peoples scores (or waitlist level I'm not even sure because I'm in shock) were calculated wrong and I was literally just called and offered admission :eek:
Wait seriously?! I almost want to email them and look into my scores haha

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis :biglove:

...now to find housing that isn't horribly expensive since I'm super late
Congratulations! So exciting:banana::soexcited::clap:. Now to change the school name under your name LOL :D.
And BTW, many of us are still looking for housing, so you are not alone ;).

Just posted to the Class of 2021 Facebook Page:
"We have a final Class of 2021! Your class will have 116 females and 31 males. 124 CA residents and 23 students from out-of-state. Your class statistics will be posted on the School's admissions website next week.
Congratulations everyone! We look forward to seeing all of you on August 14th!"
I'm kind of shocked I'm one of those 23 OOS people. I'm so happy I get to be a part of this!

Reactions: 8 users
Just posted to the Class of 2021 Facebook Page:
"We have a final Class of 2021! Your class will have 116 females and 31 males. 124 CA residents and 23 students from out-of-state. Your class statistics will be posted on the School's admissions website next week.
Congratulations everyone! We look forward to seeing all of you on August 14th!"
I'm kind of shocked I'm one of those 23 OOS people. I'm so happy I get to be a part of this!
Congrats to you!

It looks like they said,"Well, we have 147 students, let's stop there" instead of 150. I wonder how many people with OCD are dying inside right now because of that number :D

So did they call you or email you? What did they say? Sorry I'm super curious haha

Sorry forgot to respond! They literally called me at 5:51 pm on Monday while I was at work. I called back at 6:57 pm and Kim told me as she was leaving the office! I was so shocked. Took me a couple days to process but obviously I was excited haha

Has anyone set up their UC Davis email yet or do we have to wait to get access to that?

Congrats to you!

It looks like they said,"Well, we have 147 students, let's stop there" instead of 150. I wonder how many people with OCD are dying inside right now because of that number :D
I was surprised as we were told there would be 145 spots :).

We have to wait, I think, sometime over the summer they'll send us something!
Yeah, I can't remember but it says somewhere. I wish we had it sooner so we could join the housing group, though!

Ok good I was kinda freaking out. I don't know what I had missed since I found everything out so late it feels like haha

Ok good I was kinda freaking out. I don't know what I had missed since I found everything out so late it feels like haha

Yeah, I can't remember but it says somewhere. I wish we had it sooner so we could join the housing group, though!

Yeah that's why I wanted to set mine up! Oh well :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for the public health grant that I saw someone on here got? I feel like I'm pretty public health-y (have my MPH) and I don't have it on my awards.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for the public health grant that I saw someone on here got? I feel like I'm pretty public health-y (have my MPH) and I don't have it on my awards.
I believe it's a scholarship, not a grant. No idea about the criteria, but first year scholarships seem to be pretty limited. I doubt all students with a public health background or interest get them.

I believe it's a scholarship, not a grant. No idea about the criteria, but first year scholarships seem to be pretty limited. I doubt all students with a public health background or interest get them.

Ok thanks that's good to know :). Was just curious haha

Hi everyone. If anyone is still looking for housing, my aunt told me about this site where professors who are going on sabbatical look for people to rent their houses. Most say no pets though, but might be a good resource to have just in case

Sabbatical Housing — University Farm Circle (UFC)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone set up their UC Davis email yet or do we have to wait to get access to that?

I was able to set mine up today! I used the same link in the portal that I used to set up my computing account.

Reactions: 1 users
I was able to set mine up today! I used the same link in the portal that I used to set up my computing account.
Thank you! This is awesome! Each day we're getting closer and closer to starting, I just so excited!
Just called IT and you can sign in with gmail or my.ucdavis.edu :)

Yeah I set it up but still can't actually log in on anything :/

Yeah I set it up but still can't actually log in on anything :/
There were some issues with mine. I called IT and they helped! Some of the things need some time (24-48 hours) to go through :).

Our class stats are up guys!

Ok it works on gmail but not through my.davis.edu outlook. Weird lol. I'm just going to give it time. I'm sure they are still setting things up

Does anyone have experience with joining one of the Facebook pages that require a UC Davis email address? I associated mine with my account but it is not letting me join.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out the issue :).

Last edited:
Wow so many people were accepted on their first try! I'm curious to see how many people will also be coming in with graduate degrees :)

Wow so many people were accepted on their first try! I'm curious to see how many people will also be coming in with graduate degrees :)
They never updated that for prior classes, so we may not find out (unless we ask) :). It would be cool to know, though ;).

It's kind of annoying that the options for our email address are so limited. Everything I've tried is already in use.

Our class stats are up guys!

Wow - so honored to be matriculating with such an accomplished group! :) Especially you out-of-staters. You guys are beasts!

Apparently there was someone else accepted from Johns Hopkins (besides me). I wonder if he or she is attending. There aren't very many pre-vets there. Almost everyone in the biological sciences was pre-med. Are you out there, fellow Blue Jay?

They never updated that for prior classes, so we may not find out (unless we ask) :). It would be cool to know, though ;).

I'm one! I hope they do update it, it would be interesting to see!

Wow - so honored to be matriculating with such an accomplished group! :) Especially you out-of-staters. You guys are beasts!

Apparently there was someone else accepted from Johns Hopkins (besides me). I wonder if he or she is attending. There aren't very many pre-vets there. Almost everyone in the biological sciences was pre-med. Are you out there, fellow Blue Jay?

I'm one! I hope they do update it, it would be interesting to see!
I'm one, too :cat:.

Just so everyone is aware - you don't actually receive emails through gmail as a vet student (except maybe some from support), just through office365. Was going crazy trying to figure out why I was receiving emails one way and not the other and tech support finally told me this today :laugh:

And you can add your email to your phone using Microsoft Exchange :)