UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hiii guys!! I am thinking about applying this cycle to UC Davis as an OOS. Do you guys (OOS) mind telling me your stats?

Last 45: 4.0
Science: 3.67
Quantitative GRE: 165 (89%)

Pretty sure I just squeaked past the first round.

UC Davis broke down IS vs. OOS for the class of 2019, which you can see here. Averages were last 45: 3.9, science: 3.87, GRE: 78%. Last year was probably slightly higher because there were so many applicants.

I remember seeing somewhere in their FAQs that "competitive" OOS applicants have an average GPA (last 45 and science) of 3.8 and quant GRE of 75%. That sounds about right to me based on what I've seen here, though I have seen some right around there who must have just missed the cut and didn't get an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Last 45: 4.0
Science: 3.67
Quantitative GRE: 165 (89%)

Pretty sure I just squeaked past the first round.

UC Davis broke down IS vs. OOS for the class of 2019, which you can see here. Averages were last 45: 3.9, science: 3.87, GRE: 78%. Last year was probably slightly higher because there were so many applicants.

I remember seeing somewhere in their FAQs that "competitive" OOS applicants have an average GPA (last 45 and science) of 3.8 and quant GRE of 75%. That sounds about right to me based on what I've seen here, though I have seen some right around there who must have just missed the cut and didn't get an interview invite.
How did you study for the GRE?

How did you study for the GRE?

I took it a few years ago without really studying and got a 159 (~73%). Not awful, but I knew I could do better and my score expired anyway. I did some practice questions from Manhattan GRE's 5 lb. book to help with concepts I didn't know or had forgotten. When I got closer to my test date, I used Magoosh. I didn't watch many of their videos, but their questions were helpful. You can sort by topic and difficulty, and it was nice to only focus on the hard questions in my worst topics.

I went up 6 points between tests, and I'd say 2 were from better time management, 2 were from relearning middle/high school math (geometry, permutations, etc.) and 2 were from going through the difficult/very difficult questions in Magoosh and Manhattan GRE. If you're aiming for a high score, you'll eventually need to time yourself with questions that are more difficult than Kaplan/Princeton Review/etc. Timing is also key, and Magoosh really helps with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That was my understanding, as well (that letters weren't necessarily read, but that the scores were taken into account). Perhaps this has changed?
You're both correct, those scores do get taken into account somewhat, but GPA and GRE are weighted more heavily.
but who cares you got iiiiin! :) :D

Reactions: 1 users
Another 1st year and I have signed to live in stonegate! We are currently looking for another pair or person to fill the master bedroom. Private message if interested!

I lived in Stonegate one year. On its own it's fine, but hopefully you don't live on the shared border with Arlington Farm complex because THAT was a treat.

Hello all!! And congrats to those who were accepted!!

I was invited to interview but unfortintaley did not make it through the interview process. Since Davis is my number one choice, I decided to reapply for next year.

My understanding is that they only look at our GPA, GRE scores, and Lor's. Will it be the same for the next year? If so I'm sure I would have the opportunity to interview again lol

Hello all!! And congrats to those who were accepted!!

I was invited to interview but unfortintaley did not make it through the interview process. Since Davis is my number one choice, I decided to reapply for next year.

My understanding is that they only look at our GPA, GRE scores, and Lor's. Will it be the same for the next year? If so I'm sure I would have the opportunity to interview again lol

I'm not sure if anything is changing, I can't imagine it would. I'm already looking forward to seeing you next year :)

Did anyone else get the email that your financial aid is available and then click on the link only to find it's not allowed to be viewed yet. Why must you do this to me tech people? I thought my days of constantly refreshing a screen was over! :laugh:

Did anyone else get the email that your financial aid is available and then click on the link only to find it's not allowed to be viewed yet. Why must you do this to me tech people? I thought my days of constantly refreshing a screen was over! :laugh:

Haha I thought that was just me. I got that email about an hour ago, but my financial aid info is not available.

Glad to know I wasn't singled out! I'm excited to finally meet some of you in real life!
It's there! Just make sure to select the right year and it should be viewable.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's there! Just make sure to select the right year and it should be viewable.

I'm selecting 2017 - 2018 and graduate/professional students, but it's still not there. I'm guessing it'll be there tomorrow or the next day though :)

I'm selecting 2017 - 2018 and graduate/professional students, but it's still not there. I'm guessing it'll be there tomorrow or the next day though :)
Hmmmm... it shows up for me. That's strange. I'm sure it will be there soon :)!

Yup TrashPanda and I are in the same boat. I'm sure it's viewable for some but not others. I'm sure it will be there in due time :)

SAME HERE!!!!

Hopefully nothing has gone wrong. I didn't select graduate 2017-2018 at first and saw that they had no application for me on file. That gave me a heart attack!

Yeah I had the same scare, hopefully it gets resolved soon.
Hey you guys. Did you all complete the Student Financial Aid Statement of Financial Aid Understanding? It just seems odd that I can see it but that others can't. Perhaps that is required to be able to see it? Just a thought :).

Hey you guys. Did you all complete the Student Financial Aid Statement of Financial Aid Understanding? It just seems odd that I can see it but that others can't. Perhaps that is required to be able to see it? Just a thought :).

Where do you see this statement?

Where do you see this statement?
It was something I had to accept in order to move on. I don't exactly remember how I got it, but click around. It is in there somewhere. Right now it shows as complete. Do you have a tab that says "Requirements?" Maybe it was there. That was the only item I checked and I can see everything now. I hope that gets you there :).

It was something I had to accept in order to move on. I don't exactly remember how I got it, but click around. It is in there somewhere. Right now it shows as complete. Do you have a tab that says "Requirements?" Maybe it was there. That was the only item I checked and I can see everything now. I hope that gets you there :).

In MyAwards? I can't get to that point- when I put in my ID/birthday/aid year/etc. and click submit, it tells me it's not available yet. I think I just have to wait, but thanks!

In MyAwards? I can't get to that point- when I put in my ID/birthday/aid year/etc. and click submit, it tells me it's not available yet. I think I just have to wait, but thanks!
Got it. Okay. I am sure it will be there soon :).

Got it. Okay. I am sure it will be there soon :).

And now mine's up! @Coopah you might want to check if yours is too.

Did anyone get an unexpected $180 grant? Not that I'm complaining, just a little confused!

And now mine's up! @Coopah you might want to check if yours is too.

Did anyone get an unexpected $180 grant? Not that I'm complaining, just a little confused!
Yep. I called about that and it seems to be a campus-wide grant (undergrad/grad students get it). :)!

Yep. I called about that and it seems to be a campus-wide grant (undergrad/grad students get it). :)!

Sweet! I don't know why they don't just lower tuition instead of giving out grants but hey, free money is free money and I'll take it!

I love you, thanks! I was driving my husband crazy!

:love: I was refreshing quite a bit. The thought that they'd figured out I'd been accepted by accident may have crossed my mind...

Does anyone know anything about work study? It says there will be info in June and I may be eligible. I didn't think the SVM did work study but if they do, that's awesome.

Sweet! I don't know why they don't just lower tuition instead of giving out grants but hey, free money is free money and I'll take it!

:love: I was refreshing quite a bit. The thought that they'd figured out I'd been accepted by accident may have crossed my mind...

Does anyone know anything about work study? It says there will be info in June and I may be eligible. I didn't think the SVM did work study but if they do, that's awesome.

No I don't have a work study note, but I also think I checked I didn't want any...? Not sure. I'm super happy about the aid though. It allows me to not take out grad plus loans.

You guys

I have asked about work study. I am waiting on a response back. The person I spoke with thinks that this may have shown up by mistake (since it is usually undergrad students who do this), but was not sure. We will see.

No I don't have a work study note, but I also think I checked I didn't want any...? Not sure. I'm super happy about the aid though. It allows me to not take out grad plus loans.

Yay! I was pleasantly surprised by the grant amount a few weeks ago and while the extra $180 isn't much, that's pretty nice too!

You guys

I have asked about work study. I am waiting on a response back. The person I spoke with thinks that this may have shown up by mistake (since it is usually undergrad students who do this), but was not sure. We will see.

That's what I figured but it would be nice if it's offered. Let me know what you find out!

Yay! I was pleasantly surprised by the grant amount a few weeks ago and while the extra $180 isn't much, that's pretty nice too!

That's what I figured but it would be nice if it's offered. Let me know what you find out!
The person I spoke with confirmed the goal is to give approximately the same amount in grants each year (other than the computer grant), so that adds up to around $25 to 28,000 total over four years! I will let you know what I hear (and if I forget, just remind me ;)).

Does anyone know when the window for the application for the 2017-2018 UC ship waiver open?

It looks like we can get work study if we work part-time at the school (like at the VMTH). That's what I have been told by the financial aid office. But I would check to confirm if you are interested in doing this :).

It looks like we can get work study if we work part-time at the school (like at the VMTH). That's what I have been told by the financial aid office. But I would check to confirm if you are interested in doing this :).

Awesome, thanks for the update!

So apparently there was a glitch and some peoples scores (or waitlist level I'm not even sure because I'm in shock) were calculated wrong and I was literally just called and offered admission :eek:

Reactions: 4 users
So apparently there was a glitch and some peoples scores (or waitlist level I'm not even sure because I'm in shock) were calculated wrong and I was literally just called and offered admission :eek:
Congrats! So are you still going to Mizzou? Lol

Congrats! So are you still going to Mizzou? Lol

I have no idea. I got my heart set on Mizzou and I was flat out denied from Davis, not even given waitlist status so I have super mixed feelings

Oh my god that's so crazy! I'm so happy for you, but that's a huge shock. Good for you though!

I have no idea. I got my heart set on Mizzou and I was flat out denied from Davis, not even given waitlist status so I have super mixed feelings
That is definitely understandable. How long do you get to decide?

Can any current Davis students comment on doing mixed animal in the curriculum? I'm interested in lab animal, wildlife, and food animal and I wouldn't want to lose out on any of those specialty classes included in small and large animal tracks due to accommodations being made to fit in small and large core classes
That is definitely understandable. How long do you get to decide?

I have till 5 pm tomorrow to accept the seat at Davis

Can any current Davis students comment on doing mixed animal in the curriculum? I'm interested in lab animal, wildlife, and food animal and I wouldn't want to lose out on any of those specialty classes included in small and large animal tracks due to accommodations being made to fit in small and large core classes

I have till 5 pm tomorrow to accept the seat at Davis

So there's a couple ways to do a "mixed" curriculum. A truly mixed curriculum takes some time away from your 4th year rotations so you can sit in with the class below you on whatever subject material (large or small) you didn't take the first time. So you get the classroom learning but miss out on some weeks of rotations - UNLESS you choose to stay an extra semester to do more rotations (which you can do, you just have to pay more money). One thing that a few people who want to do small animal/equine or similar large/small mixed is they'll pick a track (small animal) but take several large animal rotations 4th year. This works well especially if you have previous medical experience in those areas.

In terms of your interests - you could probably track large animal food and then take some of the electives offered (there's an avian/reptile, small lab animal, and poultry, plus a small lab mammal) plus add in those rotations in 4th year. Check out the general scope here - UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

To be absolutely sure, I would call and talk with admissions tomorrow about all this - explain your interests and make sure they say "yes" because sometimes things change. But for the most part, people like you who have diverse interests seem to be able to get all the information/experience they need/want, just sometimes it takes a little juggling.

There are also opportunities to gain experience as a 1st-3rd year--there's a number of student jobs for large animal, plus CAPE (the exotics/wildlife division of the teaching hospital) treatment crews where you can get experience working with patients. There's also a raptor rehab center on campus, a primate center involved in research, and a sea bird rehab center nearby that a few of my wildlife friends go to. There's also a pretty active wildlife and exotics club.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to message me if you have any more in the mean time. Either way, congrats on getting in!

So there's a couple ways to do a "mixed" curriculum. A truly mixed curriculum takes some time away from your 4th year rotations so you can sit in with the class below you on whatever subject material (large or small) you didn't take the first time. So you get the classroom learning but miss out on some weeks of rotations - UNLESS you choose to stay an extra semester to do more rotations (which you can do, you just have to pay more money). One thing that a few people who want to do small animal/equine or similar large/small mixed is they'll pick a track (small animal) but take several large animal rotations 4th year. This works well especially if you have previous medical experience in those areas.

In terms of your interests - you could probably track large animal food and then take some of the electives offered (there's an avian/reptile, small lab animal, and poultry, plus a small lab mammal) plus add in those rotations in 4th year. Check out the general scope here - UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

To be absolutely sure, I would call and talk with admissions tomorrow about all this - explain your interests and make sure they say "yes" because sometimes things change. But for the most part, people like you who have diverse interests seem to be able to get all the information/experience they need/want, just sometimes it takes a little juggling.

There are also opportunities to gain experience as a 1st-3rd year--there's a number of student jobs for large animal, plus CAPE (the exotics/wildlife division of the teaching hospital) treatment crews where you can get experience working with patients. There's also a raptor rehab center on campus, a primate center involved in research, and a sea bird rehab center nearby that a few of my wildlife friends go to. There's also a pretty active wildlife and exotics club.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to message me if you have any more in the mean time. Either way, congrats on getting in!

Thank you very much for your reply! This is really helpful. Do you know if you can choose multiple of those electives? And do all students have to do the business and communications class in 3rd year?

Thank you very much for your reply! This is really helpful. Do you know if you can choose multiple of those electives? And do all students have to do the business and communications class in 3rd year?
You're welcome! All students are required to take the business and communications classes in third year. I believe you can take multiple electives, in the case of the ones that are taught concurrently you *may* have to wait a year and take them with the class below you - but since most of them are 2-6 weeks you don't miss out on as many weeks of rotations that way.

Hey @TerraVet what are the things we need to get before starting? I saw we needed ceil blue scrubs for the vth but is there anything else? Thanks!
Honestly, not too much! You'll get a white coat and stethoscope at your induction. You may want to get a second fluid resistant lab coat for anatomy, but you won't have that til second semester. A *lot* of vet students sell their extra scrubs/lab coats/boots so you can get really good deals that way. I did get myself a pen-light as a reward :D A pair of bandage scissors is also a nice thing to have but again not required.

Honestly, not too much! You'll get a white coat and stethoscope at your induction. You may want to get a second fluid resistant lab coat for anatomy, but you won't have that til second semester. A *lot* of vet students sell their extra scrubs/lab coats/boots so you can get really good deals that way. I did get myself a pen-light as a reward :D A pair of bandage scissors is also a nice thing to have but again not required.
Thanks, I saw the moving sale is already going on the Facebook page. So we don't need anything for first semester? That's really cool. I assume there will be recommended textbooks and such.

This covers most of it. I am planning on mixed animal practice - right now it looks like I will track equine and take small animal rotations. I do remember hearing something from a few 3rd/4th years about approved emphasis options in 4th year for people who want to do more focused work on research, poultry, fish and pathology, but I don't know details. I would suggest calling the school for more information - ask for Karen Bordeaux or Dr. Ilkew

What type of stethoscope and model did you get? I had been planning on buying one.

Thanks, I saw the moving sale is already going on the Facebook page. So we don't need anything for first semester? That's really cool. I assume there will be recommended textbooks and such.
So, on the subject of textbooks, I highly recommend not buying any. You have access to a pretty huge database of textbooks that you can download as PDFs from the library ( Currently TerraVet and I have downloaded about 20GB of free textbooks) that you can keep after graduation. The library also has lots of texts on reserve that I recommend taking a look at.