UC Consortium 2017-2018 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ddude122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for this one seeing as apps opened two days ago. Goodluck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this cycle as well. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, Ddude122. The essays are consuming all of my time. I am hoping to submit by the end of January. Is this the only postbacc program you are applying to?

Yea! very time consuming, actually no I'm doing UCSD, SFSU, CSU EB, CSULA I think UCLA extension also just opened a pre med certificate program but theres no selection process for that one so I'm using that one as backup, how about you?

That's great that you are applying to all those programs. I am actually only applying to the UC Consortium due to my financial situation. Hopefully this cycle goes well for us.

Are you by any chance using Interfolio to send your letters of recommendation?

I'm sure we'll get a bunch of acceptances I'm not, I believe my professors just emailed the letters so far.

That's great that you are applying to all those programs. I am actually only applying to the UC Consortium due to my financial situation. Hopefully this cycle goes well for us.

Are you by any chance using Interfolio to send your letters of recommendation?

Hi! I sent my LORs via Interfolio. :)

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the central office? Nobody is replying to my e-mails or calls...

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the central office? Nobody is replying to my e-mails or calls...

They haven't responded to my email either. Do you have a question that we might know the answer to?

They haven't responded to my email either. Do you have a question that we might know the answer to?

I don't have any questions. I just wanted to have my documents from last year's applications uploaded, so that my application could be considered complete. I've called multiple times on multiple days, and have sent multiple e-mails. It's very frustrating, but not much that I can do besides continuing my efforts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone mind sharing stats? :)
Graduated from a CSU
Biology major
sGPA ~3.2, cGPA ~3.6, no MCAT
Volunteer experience, internship, shadowing, orgs and clubs, ballerina instructor, make up artist

Can anyone give me some advice on how to list my classes, I talked to two other applicants and we are having trouble. Office doesn't pick up :(
Background: Attended a CSU that works on a semester system for 5 years

Under the Course Work category, in the "Academic Term" drop down tool
- I can list my classes for my 1st semester, 2nd semester (that's only one year)
-I don't see an option for semester 3, 4 (2nd year), semester 5,6 (3rd year), sem. 7,8,(4th year), sem. 9th (5th year)
-how can I list years 2-3?

Also, are we required to submit SAT scores? Thanks in advance!

Submitted my application on 01/20! Status is pending. Good luck to everyone still working on their apps! :luck: It's definitely a time-consuming process.

Last edited:
I have, multiple times every day for over a week. I've also sent multiple e-mails. I just need my supporting documents from last year to get uploaded.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to get any responses yet. I had to ask them to re-open my application for resubmission, and was able to get help by contacting the UC Davis School of Medicine. Based on the supporting documentation address posted on the UC Consortium website, they seem to be the hub for most non-program specific inquiries.

Keep us updated, and hope this helps.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to list my classes, I talked to two other applicants and we are having trouble. Office doesn't pick up :(
Background: Attended a CSU that works on a semester system for 5 years

Under the Course Work category, in the "Academic Term" drop down tool
- I can list my classes for my 1st semester, 2nd semester (that's only one year)
-I don't see an option for semester 3, 4 (2nd year), semester 5,6 (3rd year), sem. 7,8,(4th year), sem. 9th (5th year)
-how can I list years 2-3?

Also, are we required to submit SAT scores? Thanks in advance!

I'm from a quarter system school, but I believe you can change your "Academic Year" and "Year in School" to reflect your sophomore and junior years. Then, under "Academic Term", continue using the dropdown choices "1st Semester (Fall)" and "2nd Semester (Spring)".

And no, SAT scores are not required!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to get any responses yet. I had to ask them to re-open my application for resubmission, and was able to get help by contacting the UC Davis School of Medicine. Based on the supporting documentation address posted on the UC Consortium website, they seem to be the hub for most non-program specific inquiries.

Keep us updated, and hope this helps.

Who did you contact directly?

I'm from a quarter system school, but I believe you can change your "Academic Year" and "Year in School" to reflect your sophomore and junior years. Then, under "Academic Term", continue using the dropdown choices "1st Semester (Fall)" and "2nd Semester (Spring)".

And no, SAT scores are not required!
Thank you! This makes sense :)

I was able to finally get in touch! Not sure what took so long haha, but i'm thankful that they were finally able to upload all my documents from last year :) Good luck everyone !

I was able to finally get in touch! Not sure what took so long haha, but i'm thankful that they were finally able to upload all my documents from last year :) Good luck everyone !

Glad you were able to get that sorted out!

And in response to your last inquiry (in case this info is helpful for others), I was helped by Elio Gutierrez.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone mind sharing stats? :)

UC 2.9 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA did not take MCAT.

first time applying, already a feeling a bit unsettled. got an e-mail back from one of my professors telling me she can't write a LOR for me. so i guess i'll just have to ask someone else...
has anyone ever gotten into the program and knows what got them accepted? :'(

anyone turn in their application yet?

UC 2.9 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA did not take MCAT.

first time applying, already a feeling a bit unsettled. got an e-mail back from one of my professors telling me she can't write a LOR for me. so i guess i'll just have to ask someone else...
has anyone ever gotten into the program and knows what got them accepted? :'(

anyone turn in their application yet?

turned mine in :)

Anyone onow if the community service letter is necessary or will I be good with an MD letter.

turned mine in :)

Anyone onow if the community service letter is necessary or will I be good with an MD letter.

If you're a first time applicant, one must be from a science professor, one from a community service experience, and the third can be from a professor or employer of your choice.

If you're a first time applicant, one must be from a science professor, one from a community service experience, and the third can be from a professor or employer of your choice.

so for the science professor...I am a research assistant at a lab for a PI whos a science professor not at the undergrad but for the medical school, but i did take a independent (BISP199) research studies class with him (pass/no pass) would that be okay? ah..

so for the science professor...I am a research assistant at a lab for a PI whos a science professor not at the undergrad but for the medical school, but i did take a independent (BISP199) research studies class with him (pass/no pass) would that be okay? ah..

Good question, I would imagine that your professor taught you some sort of academic workload, if not with tests then your abilities were tested. Maybe you even had to discuss scientific literature, work in projects/presentations? Pass/no pass classes I'm iffy about asking for a recommendation since admissions view grade classes heavier and with more scrutiny.

BUT ask yourself first, before asking your professor or any recommender if he/she can write you a good letter of recommendation for a Postbacc Program. Good or great is key. If your only experience with research was being a part of a class for a semester/quarter the recommendation will probably only read lovesfroyo did X amount of hours as an assistant studying X. If your professor can provide a frank review about your abilities, technique and commitment so on... then thats something to consider.

Either way you can always include this in your work/activities section and if significant research was accomplished fill the essay section. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Just submitted yesterday! Status is pending. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
How brief were you guys in your essay about your research experiences? I am having a really hard time answering the prompt and staying under 2,500 characters.

This was my second shortest answer. My research experience did not really involve working with disadvantaged populations and the question seemed like it wanted a straightforward response on what I did.

How brief were you guys in your essay about your research experiences? I am having a really hard time answering the prompt and staying under 2,500 characters.
I had to edit mine twice to make it more short and sweet to the point with just a few characters remaining. I summarized my supervisors name, affiliation and duration in one sentence. I gave a brief intro about the study and didn't write about methods or materials but rather important highlights and results of the research.

Is anyone able to reach them by phone? I'm calling, and leaving a voice mail, but no one is responding back.

Have any of you guys received confirmation of them receiving any of the materials through the website. I sent mine in awhile ago and still shows nothing has been received.

Have any of you guys received confirmation of them receiving any of the materials through the website. I sent mine in awhile ago and still shows nothing has been received.
I sent all my materials 2 weeks ago but submitted Feb. I'm also waiting

In the disadvantaged status continued/type of community,
do i fill in each box? I don't really understand what it is asking or what I should put? I lived in a middle-class suburban area?

thanks!! :)

I sent in all my materials around 1/13 and submitted my app on 1/25. Still pending..
I sent my materials in 1/10. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose application is still pending. They have a lot of mail to go through.

In the disadvantaged status continued/type of community,
do i fill in each box? I don't really understand what it is asking or what I should put? I lived in a middle-class suburban area?

thanks!! :)
Its asking more details to see at what disadvantage level you were from ages 1-18 n present. fill whatever best fits your description, leave the rest of the spots blank
Random ex. ages 1-5 rural, 6-11 farming, 12-17 inner city, 18-present suburban if you lived suburban your whole life then in other/define fill suburban

It would be awesome if we attended a school together :)

By any chance, has anyone's documents been processed? I submitted very early February, LR (through Interfolio) and transcript should of been received by 29th of Jan. Its been two weeks now and my sections still show up blank

Last edited:
It would be awesome if we attended a school together :)

By any chance, has anyone's documents been processed? I submitted very early February, LR (through Interfolio) and transcript should of been received by 29th of Jan. Its been two weeks now and my sections still show up blank

Like I mentioned earlier mine also show up blank. Guessing an issue with them reviewing items? maybe they havent even started?

I called the central office today and the person I spoke to said he was finished processing documents received by 1/22 and that everything should be updated live as its processed. My documents definitely arrived before that date but everything is blank and still pending. If nothing changes after a week I might call back for another update and re-send my materials in the mean time. Would be kind of annoying to send everything again because I paid for express shipping with tracking on most along with all the request fees =/

Thanks for the update. I'm a bit worried too since there's 11 business days before the UCI Priority Deadline. I'm hoping it gets processed this week, if not I'll also give them a call and resend. I'll keep everyone updated if something changes. Let's keep our chins up evotecani

Thanks for the update. I'm a bit worried too since there's 11 business days before the UCI Priority Deadline. I'm hoping it gets processed this week, if not I'll also give them a call and resend. I'll keep everyone updated if something changes. Let's keep our chins up evotecani
I thought the priority deadline was March 1st? Let's stay positive. I submitted my documents ahead of time as well. I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to scan everything. I'm currently missing one more transcript. I'll update everyone too.

I thought the priority deadline was March 1st? Let's stay positive. I submitted my documents ahead of time as well. I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to scan everything. I'm currently missing one more transcript. I'll update everyone too.

Yup March 1st, 11 business days counting only Mon-Fri. I'm still pending... Bet they get hundreds of applications for probably only 50 spots combining all programs

Sorry don't mean to be pessimistic but I dont have a backup plan yet