UB (Buffalo) vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprilfools

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently pulled off of both waitlists and now I am having a tough time deciding which I want to go to. I am leaning toward Buffalo as I think I will be more comfortable there, but there are three main things keeping me from pulling the trigger: I have always wanted to live in NYC/I would be able to live with my best friend/4 year roommate from undergrad, I believe I will see/do a lot more in the clinical years at Downstate, Downstate is P/F.

For what its worth, I'm currently interested in procedural specialties. My current interests include ortho, gen surg, EM, IR, maybe anesthesiology, cardiac electrophysiology, intensivist or CC

Buffalo:

Pros:
-I am originally from Buffalo. I would be able to live with good friend from High School and be close to friends/family. I get the chance to rejoin my Firehall (regardless if I will have enough time to actually be an active member)
-Rent/COL is outrageously cheap. Despite the pretty much equal tuition costs, I will be able to rent an apartment in a fun area of downtown, close to the medical campus, for between $400-500 ($1200/3 people).
-Brand new medical school. The fact that there will be a central medical campus downtown is a huge draw.
-I can keep my car. Much easier to take a break from the medical school environment if need be.
-I can ski frequently (my family has a ski condo ~1 hour away. I've been skiing since I was 2).
-Both my parents are physicians in Buffalo, one of whom is a clinical professor at UB.

Cons:
-Although I believe Buffalo to be a fun city, its obviously not NYC
-Preclinical grading is not P/F
-No centralized academic hospital. Clinical years are split between ~7 very different facilities.

Downstate:

Pros:
-P/F grading system
-I will presumably see/do a lot more in my clinical years
-Able to live with my best friend/4 year roommate from undergrad

Cons:
-Expensive COL. Looking at at least $900 for rent.
-Much more of a hassle to relocate. I am currently on the Rochester wait list and would absolutely go there if accepted. It would be a lot easier to allow for that quick change of plans if I were to go to Buffalo, as I have a lot more resources in Buffalo to help me get/organize things quickly if need be.
-Although I have wanted to live in NYC for a long time, I'm not sure if this desire will be everything I have built it up to be in my head once I am there (i.e. too cramped, loud, dirty, etc.).
-I feel like the general fast-paced lifestyle that one encounters in NYC might only increase the stressors one encounters in med school, which is a big part of the reason my initial thought is that I would generally be more comfortable at Buffalo. However, I think Downstate might push me more out of my comfort zone which may be a good thing for personal/professional growth.

I would really appreciate input from anyone who can give me an insight into either school, preferably current students at either.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are approaching it correctly. The schools are very similar education wise, so your decision should depend on where you want to live for the next four years. If I were you I would pick SUNY Downstate simply because you have lived the majority of your life in Buffalo. Life is too short to spend it all in one place, and NYC is a special place. You would be living in the capital of the world. I am from around there, and I can assure you that you can find rooms for much cheaper than 900/month in Brooklyn. Manhattan does have a face paced life, but Brooklyn is much more laid back. I think it would be a great opportunity for you to see new things and be exposed to a different area in the country. Make no mistake though, you are in a great position and just make the most out of the next four years wherever you go.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are approaching it correctly. The schools are very similar education wise, so your decision should depend on where you want to live for the next four years. If I were you I would pick SUNY Downstate simply because you have lived the majority of your life in Buffalo. Life is too short to spend it all in one place, and NYC is a special place. You would be living in the capital of the world. I am from around there, and I can assure you that you can find rooms for much cheaper than 900/month in Brooklyn. Manhattan does have a face paced life, but Brooklyn is much more laid back. I think it would be a great opportunity for you to see new things and be exposed to a different area in the country. Make no mistake though, you are in a great position and just make the most out of the next four years wherever you go.
Thank you for this input! I am leaning towards UB but I think you're mentioning one of my biggest hesitations: I feel as if living in New York is an incredible life experience and feel as though I may be missing out by not having that experience. I've ended up in Boston for the past 5 years fter not getting into my first choice undergrad in New York and have absolutely loved it. I do think I will be more comfortable in Buffalo, but this is such a big decision that I was hoping I wouldn't have to make haha

Downstate student here, only have positive things to say about the school. However, I think the most important factor in choosing the school is being happy, comfortable, and having your support system nearby. For you, it seems like that would be in Buffalo - so I would do that if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate student here, only have positive things to say about the school. However, I think the most important factor in choosing the school is being happy, comfortable, and having your support system nearby. For you, it seems like that would be in Buffalo - so I would do that if I were you.

Agreed. It sounds like the OP would definitely be happier in Buffalo and I think might have a tough time adjusting to living in East Flatbush.

Agreed. It sounds like the OP would definitely be happier in Buffalo and I think might have a tough time adjusting to living in East Flatbush.
Honestly I'm extraordinarily adaptable and really could find myself living almost anywhere and be happy, but I do feel as though it would be easier to get out of the med school bubble if need be in Buffalo.

I could see myself eventually living in Buffalo as I do love it, I just don't want to be one of those people who all they know is Buffalo and they have never ventured out or even thought about living anywhere else but Buffalo (this is very common there).

I could see myself eventually living in Buffalo as I do love it, I just don't want to be one of those people who all they know is Buffalo and they have never ventured out or even thought about living anywhere else but Buffalo (this is very common there).

There's always residency/fellowship! Choosing to stay near your support system for medical school (at a fantastic school with great clinical/research opportunities) and then going elsewhere for residency/fellowship seems like a plausible plan. You have less say in where you end up for residency/fellowship (submit ROL&pray) and might find yourself needing to move. Having these next few years near family might be nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you decide? I am having the same choice, as I just got off of UB's waitlist today. I have similar pros/cons except I'm not from buffalo (and my parent's aren't doctors lol). I am from upstate NY though, so Buffalo would be closer geographically than downstate

It was a hard decision but I chose Buffalo.

FWIW, being closer to somewhere is far far different than actually being from that place and having connections/resources there. A large part of my decision boiled down to this the fact that its much easier to enjoy nature in Buffalo and get out of the med school bubble as compared to NYC. This is compounded by the fact that I will have my car and access to skiing/hiking and my parents ski condo an hour away. Additionally I can go home for the weekend and see my dogs, get a nice homecooked meal, etc, and still be involved in my firehall. A lot of this stuff wouldnt really apply if I lived just "close" to Buffalo but didn't have the familiarity or available resources that come with having grown up in a place.