U of Minnesota Vs. Indiana University Vs. ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonyjony23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope you are all finding your dental school application process going smoothly! I have been admitted to these 3 schools and I am having difficulty picking which one to attend!!

I am from California, but what is most important to me is having a balance between school life and personal life. I understand dental school is rigorous but at the same time I would like to know which school allows for more free time? Also, I want to make sure the school curriculum fits my learning style. I am more interested in clinical experience as opposed to sciences. Cost isn't necessarily that important to me (to an extent) as I'd prefer to pay more for a more enjoyable 4 years than to be hating my life for 4 years to save money.

Thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Considering you're from Cali, I'm assuming all those schools are OOS, which means you'll be paying approx $500k COA.

UMN has a very well-rounded curriculum and you get to enjoy the "university life." I interviewed there and loved the campus; HOWEVER, I was taken aback by their unabashing liberal agenda (won't go into detail) which unfortunately offended me.

I can't speak for Indiana, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

ASDOH, from what I've been told, has a very strong clinical program, with a mandatory 24 week externship as a D4, along with a modular curriculum. Disadvantages include "commuter school" vibe with a lot of married couples/parents (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you wanna meet people outside of dental school, you'll likely have to do random Meetups. If you wanna be slightly closer to California and still embrace the West Coast vibe, ASDOH might be a good fit.

UMN Campus is great! (I did my B.S. there) It is beautiful in the summer and it is in close proximity to Downtown Minneapolis. I interviewed there and the professors seemed very nice and approachable. Only downside is the winter... -40 degrees F is sometimes too much, but you'll get used to it. :/

ASDOH if you can't stand the weather of MN. And since you want more clinically strong programs, I think ASDOH will provide that.

Hope is helps! :)

-Fyz

Go wherever is cheapest, I ultimately turned down Minnesota due to high cost of out of state. Don't know much about the other schools