U Mich v. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearlg525

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beyond grateful for this choice but having a really difficult time. Any perspective helpful - particularly from anyone with firsthand student experience of the schools. I hope to be back on the East Coast for residency. While Michigan is the 'higher-ranked program,' I care most about fit and balance of life (sue me!!!).

Einstein:
-more non-trad/older students (like me)
-proximity to NYC
-the mission/ethos aligns with my interests (social justice/advocacy focus)
-smaller class, can 'stand out' more
-have lived in NY for years, ties to personal life

Michigan:
-new curriculum, but seems like some added fluff
-really intense (unnecessarily intense?) first year
-close to family
-went for undergrad, Michigan community is amazing
-resources, hospital, reputation

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Career goals include OBGYN + women's health advocacy, broader goals beyond seeing patients. Not so interested in research.

I would pay in-state tuition at Michigan - comes out to about $13,000/year cheaper including cost of living. Quality of life in Ann Arbor >>>>x100>>>> Einstein. But proximity of Einstein to Manhattan is compelling enough to have me writing here frantically on April 28th!

You would be paying 50 k to go to a lower ranked school because it is close to Manhattan with worse quality of life.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan. Great hospitals, great rotations, normal curriculum and a wonderful town to live in. I really wish I would have received an II to Michigan!

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you pay so much extra money to go to a substantially less prestigious school? Einstein is great but Michigan is one of the top school/health systems in the world. Go to NYC for residency if it's something you can't live without. I would only go Einstein if you hated U Michigan and Ann Arbor with a fiery passion.

Why would you pay so much extra money to go to a substantially less prestigious school? Einstein is great but Michigan is one of the top school/health systems in the world. Go to NYC for residency if it's something you can't live without. I would only go Einstein if you hated U Michigan and Ann Arbor with a fiery passion.

If you like Michigan, I think Michigan is the way to go. More doors will be opened by Michigan than AE and Michigan does amazing public health/public policy/advocacy work, so there are ample opportunities there.

But, to respond to above, there are many reasons to choose a less prestigious school. OP mentioned that they were a non-trad concerned more about fit/balance than prestige. The types of students who are concerned less about prestige now are likely the ones who will be concerned less about prestige come match and more concerned about matching somewhere that fits their lifestyle/goals.

While coming from a higher ranked school will make the path towards more prestigious residencies easier, there will be no door closed to you by going to AE over Michigan. If you think the fit at AE is better and are less concerned with maximizing your chances for a top tier residency (which can still be achieved at AE, but is probably more likely at UM), AE is an incredible school with great research and clinical opportunities, affordable housing and a lot of great community engagement. Especially if you are looking to match in North East/NYC, AE punches well above its ranking in the match. If you are unsure of future plans, or don't have a super strong preference between AE/UM, going to UM might be a smart way to leave the door to top tier academia slightly more open. If you think you want to end up near family in Michigan, UM is definitely the way to go.

If you like Michigan, I think Michigan is the way to go. More doors will be opened by Michigan than AE and Michigan does amazing public health/public policy/advocacy work, so there are ample opportunities there.

But, to respond to above, there are many reasons to choose a less prestigious school. OP mentioned that they were a non-trad concerned more about fit/balance than prestige. The types of students who are concerned less about prestige now are likely the ones who will be concerned less about prestige come match and more concerned about matching somewhere that fits their lifestyle/goals.

While coming from a higher ranked school will make the path towards more prestigious residencies easier, there will be no door closed to you by going to AE over Michigan. If you think the fit at AE is better and are less concerned with maximizing your chances for a top tier residency (which can still be achieved at AE, but is probably more likely at UM), AE is an incredible school with great research and clinical opportunities, affordable housing and a lot of great community engagement. Especially if you are looking to match in North East/NYC, AE punches well above its ranking in the match. If you are unsure of future plans, or don't have a super strong preference between AE/UM, going to UM might be a smart way to leave the door to top tier academia slightly more open. If you think you want to end up near family in Michigan, UM is definitely the way to go.

I generally agree with this, but unless someone is 100% certain about their life and career goals, I think they're better off going to the more established and respected institution, as you've said, unless the price difference is large or they didn't like the school.

Agree! Quoting myself below but I think especially in cases where cost is not a factor and there is no other overpowering factor (SO, family, etc), going with the higher ranked school is usually smart. Plans change and if fall in love with academic research or something super conpetive, you might be glad you have more options at the tippity top.

If you are unsure of future plans, or don't have a super strong preference between AE/UM, going to UM might be a smart way to leave the door to top tier academia slightly more open