U.K international applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

city12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if there's anyone who is from Canada that completed their optometry studies in the U.K. and successfully came back to practice in Canada or is in the process of doing so? I recently got accepted to a school in the U.K. and I'm trying to gather more information on how hard the process of coming back to Canada is before I make my decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

Don't do it. I've been there...done that. Work hard now and do the OAT and get into a USA school. Then take Canadian boards. Graduates from 2012 are still trying to qualify in Canada. Just don't do it.

Hello

Don't do it. I've been there...done that. Work hard now and do the OAT and get into a USA school. Then take Canadian boards. Graduates from 2012 are still trying to qualify in Canada. Just don't do it.
Really? The process is that difficult? How long did it take you to return if you don't mind me asking. I've been hearing different things from different people so I want to make a firm choice!

I graduated in 2011. After pre-reg I was there for an additional 3 years. I did get caught in the whole drama with Waterloo closing down the bridging program completely for about a year and a half. Then the re-doing of their entrance exam pushed everything. Plus the way admissions was being done. So it wasn't done by application cycle. But by the entrance exam which kept changing and people were being pushed all over the place. Would have start dates and then they would change (a friend). I got to the point where I was about to sit for the exam but got into the states conversion program first. So I did that instead. The USA has only two uni's with conversion/accelerated programs and did not require an OAT (I'm pretty sure).

Overall I may have a skewed view because I was on the time when everything was frozen and lots of back and forth. The last I heard the program was only going to be offered once a year, would be a yearly program, and would have limited 20 seats. I'm not sure how true this is but it was enough for me to go for a 2 year program of a sure thing versus stressed and waiting. I am finished now, and my friend who came back to Canada at the same time is just about to start the program