Types of questions asked during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ca1985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, about to start my first string of interviews and haven't been able to get much information as far as the nature of interviews for pulm/CC fellowships...I know it probably varies a bit by institution, but was hoping people could shed some light on the types of questions they were asked ie. were you mostly asked very specific questions from your CV? questions about your research? purely conversational/getting to know you? thanks all and good luck...

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to every single one of these questions, regardless of specialty (other than Ortho, where, "do you even lift bro?" is the only question needed), is "yes".

You'll be interviewed by multiple people. Some will want to talk about your research, some your clinical goals, some will test your clinical acumen, others your ECs, some will just want to shoot the s**t with you (that's my approach as an interviewer).

So yes.

A common question: "What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

Know your answer COLD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten a lot of:
- Tell me why you chose pulm/cc.
- Tell me why you are interested in this program.
- Tell me your ten year plan.
- Tell me about experience X in your application.
And a lot of just random conversations on everything from medical topics of interest to the ethics of big game hunting.

Thanks everyone for the answers. Glad that someone commented on the "clinical acumen" thing...the program director at my home institution has told me that he will sometimes ask applicants "pimping" type questions (so obnoxious, imo). Has anyone had the same experience?

Also curious if anyone has been asked about an "interesting case" they've seen. Wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to have something in mind for that.

Thanks everyone for the answers. Glad that someone commented on the "clinical acumen" thing...the program director at my home institution has told me that he will sometimes ask applicants "pimping" type questions (so obnoxious, imo). Has anyone had the same experience?

Also curious if anyone has been asked about an "interesting case" they've seen. Wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to have something in mind for that.

if a PD asked me a "pimping" question I guarantee you I wouldn't be ranking that program

have not been asked an "interesting case" question in 8 interviews so far.... thought it was going to be a common question but I was wrong

You won't be asked about your clinical acumen.
if a PD asked me a "pimping" question I guarantee you I wouldn't be ranking that program

At my Pitt interview, one of the interviewers gave me a clinical scenario then asked for my differential diagnosis and what tests I would want to order so as to be able to narrow down the possible causes.

I am not currently at Pitt.

Reactions: 3 users
At my Pitt interview, one of the interviewers gave me a clinical scenario then asked for my differential diagnosis and what tests I would want to order so as to be able to narrow down the possible causes.

I am not currently at Pitt.

I never understood this approach. You have the candidates scores, you have the letters of rec in front of you. Why are you still compelled to test the person's clinical acumen on the spot? Do you not trust that objective data? Then throw it out to begin with.

I never understood this approach. You have the candidates scores, you have the letters of rec in front of you. Why are you still compelled to test the person's clinical acumen on the spot? Do you not trust that objective data? Then throw it out to begin with.

Pitt probably take themselves too seriously now at this point. They *like* the smell of their own farts (not "don't mind the smell" LIKE it).

I'm kind over the free rhetorical hand-job everyone seems to give them whenever they come up.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone has experience with rutgers newark program.

The questions I have gotten are almost all "get to know me" types of questions. My strengths, my weaknesses, my inspirations in life.

I got the impression that the program wanted insight into my personality and behavioral traits, more than my capabilities. It makes sense because my clinical training, research experiences and education are all on a piece of paper in front of them, whereas they really needed to talk to me to get to know me.

It's hard for me to know how much the interview really factors into the ultimate rank list. I think it's used to move people up a little if they interview well, and potentially down a lot if someone looks great on paper but can't talk like a normal person. I do get the sense that applicants are somewhat vaguely pre-ranked, with modifications made post-interview. It actually feels quite strange, as I get the sense that I am being courted. I feel "wanted," haha.

Not sure what other applicants' experiences at their interviews have been.

Interview questions are for the most part typical and depending on the institution, the mood of the interviewer and many other things as pointed out by everyone above. Be ready for the most common ones, tell me about yourself, a case you've dealt with and practice selling yourself, and be yourself at interviews... it is not a question about your qualifications ,they got you through the door already, its about seeing if you are a good fit for the program/team. Be yourself, relax, this thing is in the bag!
Good luck.

Another thing worth asking is what kind of questions in an interview would make you not go to that program.... Like:
How bad do you want this position( while pointing at his groin), or how good are you keeping secrets? ( I`m going to state that I am joking, just to be clear).

The typical questions:
"Tell me about [picks random item from your CV]"
"What made you pick your residency program?"
"What aspects of a fellowship program are most important to you?"
"Tell me about an interesting case you saw."
"What's your approach to teaching residents and medical students?"
"Where do you see yourself in [random number of years]?"
"What made you apply to our program, in particular?"
"What made you pick this specialty, in particular?"
"What do you do for fun?"
"How do you think the patients you'd deal with as a fellow here differ from the patients you've had during residency?"

The rare and obnoxious ones:
"Tell me how you lead"

There have been a couple soft feelers trying to gauge how enthused you'd be about relocating to their city.

Honestly, though, most of them are just conversations. Usually it's been an interviewer using the first 5min to introduce themselves (where they came from, why they went into pulmonary, what they're researching/why, why they like the institution), and then they'll typically either ask me to reciprocate or they'll pick one of the above questions. 30min can go by quite quickly once the ball is rolling.

In general, interviews are WAY less painful than they were for residency. It's obvious that they've spent significantly more time reading your packet, they're less exhausted/bored by the interview season, and their interests will, in general, match yours to a greater degree.

Curveball:
"Tell me about a time you really screwed up"