Two Specialties....Two Personal Statements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belkatronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is is kosher to borrow two paragraphs that you really like from one PS and put into the other PS when applying to two specialties? Or is this considered self plagiarism?

Thanks a bunch all

Members don't see this ad.

Who would know? It wouldn't be the same people reading them so why not?

Shouldn't be the same people...(thought I am honest about applying to two specialties in my personal statement...). Don't they process everything through Turnitin.com or something?

Shouldn't be the same people...(thought I am honest about applying to two specialties in my personal statement...). Don't they process everything through Turnitin.com or something?

Wait you mentioned that you are applying to two specialities in both your personal statement? I donno about that. It seems suicide to me.

Is is kosher to borrow two paragraphs that you really like from one PS and put into the other PS when applying to two specialties? Or is this considered self plagiarism?

Thanks a bunch all
Digging this up from the depths but....

If you apply for two specialties, you really do need two different personal statements, right?

To be fair, it depends upon the personal statement.

The usual topic of a personal statement is "Why I want to do XXX". Personally, I think this is rather boring because your reasons are not much different than anyone else's. In Internal Medicine, there really are only 4 reasons ever mentioned: 1) I like solving puzzles; 2) I have/had this disease and I want to treat others with it; 3) Someone else has/had this disease, and I want to treat others with it; 4) I like talking to / connecting with patients. The fifth type of personal statement is a rehash of your CV in prose format. Those 5 PS's cover 95+% of all PS's I see. In these cases, you'll usually need two PS's.

If you actually write an interesting personal statement, perhaps actually telling me something about you, that's much better IMHO. In that case, only a single PS might work for two different fields. It depends upon the fields and how similar they are, for example.

Reactions: 2 users
To be fair, it depends upon the personal statement.

The usual topic of a personal statement is "Why I want to do XXX". Personally, I think this is rather boring because your reasons are not much different than anyone else's. In Internal Medicine, there really are only 4 reasons ever mentioned: 1) I like solving puzzles; 2) I have/had this disease and I want to treat others with it; 3) Someone else has/had this disease, and I want to treat others with it; 4) I like talking to / connecting with patients. The fifth type of personal statement is a rehash of your CV in prose format. Those 5 PS's cover 95+% of all PS's I see. In these cases, you'll usually need two PS's.

If you actually write an interesting personal statement, perhaps actually telling me something about you, that's much better IMHO. In that case, only a single PS might work for two different fields. It depends upon the fields and how similar they are, for example.
This is exactly what I needed to hear, thank you!