USMLE Tutoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awkko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience working with a tutor for USMLE Step 1? Is it worth it, who/what company did you work with, and what's the average cost?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had experience working with a tutor for USMLE Step 1? Is it worth it, who/what company did you work with, and what's the average cost?
Hello,
I work as a tutor for USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK. I started with Med School Tutors (which is the biggest of the companies, also one of the most expensive), then branched out to form my own company: www.medboardtutors.com. We provide one-on-one tutoring via Skype or Google Hangouts, and prepare custom study plans for our students.

My point of view on this: It's worth it, for sure. Your tutor should be someone who has a mastery of the content topics along with a mastery of how the USMLE likes to ask questions about such topics. Tutors should impart such test-taking skills to you. If you struggle with content, a tutor can teach it, and get you from failing to passing. If you are already passing but are looking to get from mid-200s up to the 230-240 or higher range, a tutor can work directly with you on question-based analysis, multiple-logic-step questions, and test-taking tips to help you extend your capability.

The biggest tutoring companies charge anywhere from $250-400/hr (examples: Med School Tutors and Select Med Tutors). I think this is excessive. Through MedBoardTutors, we charge $120-150/hr depending on how many hours you purchase. I would not recommend going with any tutor who charges less than $100/hr; you want to be sure you're getting a valuable service, as your Step experience plays a major role in your future earnings and happiness with your matched specialty.

there was a US-img who scored 264 and 272 who is currently working in Maryland with the NIH, he is a legit guy who was in one of the groups and helped us a lot during our prep, I can pm you his Facebook profile. I am not him (i wish i had those scores though but got 250s), there was one more guy who scored 270s in both from Nepal, but he isnt giving skype classes anymore because he is busy with his applications and observerships.

there was a US-img who scored 264 and 272 who is currently working in Maryland with the NIH, he is a legit guy who was in one of the groups and helped us a lot during our prep, I can pm you his Facebook profile. I am not him (i wish i had those scores though but got 250s), there was one more guy who scored 270s in both from Nepal, but he isnt giving skype classes anymore because he is busy with his applications and observerships.

sorry to hijack but can you pm me the info too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Can you send me the info as well!

If you're interested, I think a tutor is great option! I am a current resident and have been blessed to have teaching appointments specifically teaching USMLE Step 1 in the greater Cleveland, OH area at top medical schools - I do a lot of online tutoring as well and this years' batch of students have done phenomenally ranging from 239 to 268 (so proud of them!) - let me know if you are interested, would love to offer any advice