Tutoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillingpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got offered a position to tutor organic and gen chem at a community college near me. I applied last summer and due to scheduling I couldn't take the position last year, but I guess the lady remembers me and recently emailed me asking if I want to tutor this fall and spring. I want to take the position, but idk if I know the material well enough to do it. I got a B in gen chem 1 & orgo 1, but got an A in gen chem 2 & orgo 2. Like most classes, I forgotten like 70% of the stuff I learned. Sooo, idk what to do. Do most tutors know everything about the subject they're tutoring?

Members don't see this ad.

I was the same position you are in right now. My O-chem prof. offered me a tutoring position in O-Chem and the Dept Chair of Bio offered me a position as an A&P tutor.

They were really hard decisions to make. In the end, I knew that I had forgotten most of the material and just could not see myself meandering through the subject matters with good conscience. It would not have been fair to the students who really needed help.

I told them that I could not be an effective tutor in both subjects, and that the students deserved better.

I was the same position you are in right now. My O-chem prof. offered me a tutoring position in O-Chem and the Dept Chair of Bio offered me a position as an A&P tutor.

They were really hard decisions to make. In the end, I knew that I had forgotten most of the material and just could not see myself meandering through the subject matters with good conscience. It would not have been fair to the students who really needed help.

I told them that I could not be an effective tutor in both subjects, and that the students deserved better.
Exactly, I'll probably just decline the offer then. If you don't use it, you lose it unfortunately lol

If you're interested in some side tutoring I'd recommend Varsity Tutors, they make it really simple to tutor online and at your availability, tons of students looking for various subject. Tutoring Jobs

How is the pay if you don't mind me asking? Wouldn't mine using it to make some side cash.