Tulane ACP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradoextract

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm part of the 2016-2017 ACP class and will be TA'ing this August. Ask me your questions and we'll see if we can't get you into this awesome awesome program.

May 31, 2017. You can find the info here www.tulane.edu/som/departments/scb/acp.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What kind of student does Tulane typically take for this program? How many people apply to the ACP and how many get accepted? How many of those actually get in to Tulane Medical School? How many get in at other schools. Thanks!

I think the makeup of what type of student gets into ACP is kind of vague. The one thing we all have in common is we've been on a waitlist and did not get into med school at least for one cycle. The group skews younger, with maybe 1-2 gap years of clinical or research experience after college, but this is an observation not a rule. That said, Tulane and this program by extension prefers people who are engaged socially with the rest of the class and with the community at large.

For application stats you can call or email Shannon. I think the number was ~80 applicants for 18 spots. Ultimately at least 4 people moved off the waitlist.

This year 14 of 18 ACP students will be attending Tulane.
To break that down, 16 were offered interviews, while 15 showed up for the interview since one had already accepted a state school admission. Everyone who showed up for an interview received a Tulane acceptance.

Another person has since taken a seat at their home state school. 4 people were accepted to schools other than Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply! How would you compare this program with say Temple ACMS? Did you get into other similar SMP style programs? What made you choose Tulane over other schools? Do you feel the linkage will maintain? Why did the other two students not obtain interviews to Tulane?

If we are hoping to do the program this summer, do you recommend we re-apply immediately or wait to re-apply until after completing the program?

Thanks for the quick reply! How would you compare this program with say Temple ACMS? Did you get into other similar SMP style programs? What made you choose Tulane over other schools? Do you feel the linkage will maintain? Why did the other two students not obtain interviews to Tulane?
I had a friend who did Temple ACMS, and who really enjoyed the program. A plus w/ that program is that by living there as a student you can gain in state status for Temple SOM. The main difference is that ACMS is far more competitive, ~1800 applicants for ~35 seats (when I was looking at it a year ago). There also might be a higher MCAT minimum cutoff. Not to mention you have to fly out and interview, which is another cost. Tulane ACP by comparison is $75 to apply and no interview; and no rolling admissions(it seems). Oh and the lead time is way shorter. From application to matriculation in ACP, its 2 months. Temple rolls their admissions starting October the previous year.

I did not apply to other post-baccs in the year I applied to ACP. I literally threw an application together over a weekend and got it in before the deadline. I know of others who applied in a similar way. So if you have your committee letter package, $75, and an evening to write a single page essay, you can apply.
I hear similarly good things from SMPs and postbaccs w/ strong linkage, like Temple ACMS and Drexel. Another ACP student turned down Cincinnati's SMP, because it is far more rigorous.

Tulane was always was in my sights. New Orleans is a quirky vacation city with a high quality of living and lower housing costs than the other coasts. It's warm. Friends and family have no problem coming to visit. Tulane's a name everyone knows. But being honest, getting into ACP required a lot of luck and circumstance, and I'm just happy it happened to me.

Do I think the linkage will continue? Yes. ACP was designed as a linkage program. Other masters programs offered by Tulane are not considered to have linkage to the SOM. This is not explicitly stated. The thing is, there is no guarantee you will get accepted to Tulane SOM when you come to ACP. Will you? It's highly likely, 88% in our class. Many people applied to other schools at the same time, and while I think thats wise, a greater number of people didn't apply to any school but Tulane.

Why did two people not get interviewed? One did not beat the anatomy average. The other did beat the average but was not offered an interview. The reason why is not clear to anyone in our class, and I wish I could tell you more but truth is we just don't know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If we are hoping to do the program this summer, do you recommend we re-apply immediately or wait to re-apply until after completing the program?
I think you mean "should we reapply to AMCAS". Yes, the expectation for all ACP students is to apply thru AMCAS for this (the 2017-2018) cycle. If accepted to ACP you will be given deadlines for when the AMCAS primary and Tulane secondary must be received, but if you're applying to other schools you need to be much quicker with your AMCAS primary.

I had a friend who did Temple ACMS, and who really enjoyed the program. A plus w/ that program is that by living there as a student you can gain in state status for Temple SOM. The main difference is that ACMS is far more competitive, ~1800 applicants for ~35 seats (when I was looking at it a year ago). There also might be a higher MCAT minimum cutoff. Not to mention you have to fly out and interview, which is another cost. Tulane ACP by comparison is $75 to apply and no interview; and no rolling admissions(it seems). Oh and the lead time is way shorter. From application to matriculation in ACP, its 2 months. Temple rolls their admissions starting October the previous year.

I did not apply to other post-baccs in the year I applied to ACP. I literally threw an application together over a weekend and got it in before the deadline. I know of others who applied in a similar way. So if you have your committee letter package, $75, and an evening to write a single page essay, you can apply.
I hear similarly good things from SMPs and postbaccs w/ strong linkage, like Temple ACMS and Drexel. Another ACP student turned down Cincinnati's SMP, because it is far more rigorous.

Tulane was always was in my sights. New Orleans is a quirky vacation city with a high quality of living and lower housing costs than the other coasts. It's warm. Friends and family have no problem coming to visit. Tulane's a name everyone knows. But being honest, getting into ACP required a lot of luck and circumstance, and I'm just happy it happened to me.

Do I think the linkage will continue? Yes. ACP was designed as a linkage program. Other masters programs offered by Tulane are not considered to have linkage to the SOM. This is not explicitly stated. The thing is, there is no guarantee you will get accepted to Tulane SOM when you come to ACP. Will you? It's highly likely, 88% in our class. Many people applied to other schools at the same time, and while I think thats wise, a greater number of people didn't apply to any school but Tulane.

Why did two people not get interviewed? One did not beat the anatomy average. The other did beat the average but was not offered an interview. The reason why is not clear to anyone in our class, and I wish I could tell you more but truth is we just don't know why.
That was very helpful, thank you. Would you be able to offer any insight comparing the ACLP program to Loyola's MSMP/MAMS? They also have a very high success rate into MDs (90%+).

I'm on the NFA(no final action) list with LSU New Orleans but they have not made their wait list yet. Will a photocopy of my NFA letter be accepted?

edit: Recieved my waitlist letter toady.

Last edited:
I'm part of the 2016-2017 ACP class and will be TA'ing this August. Ask me your questions and we'll see if we can't get you into this awesome awesome program.

This year's deadline is a few weeks sooner than last year's. Deadline is May 12, 2017. You can find the info here www.tulane.edu/som/departments/scb/acp.cfm

I will be attending Tulane MS in anatomy this fall and I know its not the exact same program but we take anatomy, histology, and neuroscience with the med students. Did you meet any MS in anatomy students have they bee successful in getting interviews/acceptances?

P.S. You will probably be my TA for anatomy then right ?!

Congrats on getting into the MS anatomy program. Some MS students did get accepted to med school this cycle. Im surprised theres no forum for that. I don't know the masters students that well so I don't know which schools or how many. Rumor is that nobody got into Tulane.

Yes, I'll be one of a few TAs this year.

Hey guys, does anyone know why the deadline got extended? I hope that it doesn't take longer for them to make their decision now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone know why the deadline got extended? I hope that it doesn't take longer for them to make their decision now.
I don't know why but usual extended deadlines are a good sign in general. It means that they dont have enough applicants to make sure they cover all the spots plus the waitlist spots. A lot of accepted students probably got into med school late and they need to fill the spots. Just my take though

I don't know why but usual extended deadlines are a good sign in general. It means that they dont have enough applicants to make sure they cover all the spots plus the waitlist spots. A lot of accepted students probably got into med school late and they need to fill the spots. Just my take though
Dear god I really hope thats the issue, here, and I hope that its not that theyve looked at the applicants that already applied (ie me) and said, ohhh **** we need some better applicants better extend the deadline.

Is it too late to apply and have a realistic shot?

I am looking for a female roommate this fall if anyone has decided they are attending!

1. Have people already been accepted?
2. If I get accepted, I'll hit you up.
I'm doing the MS in anatomy program, its not the same program as ACP but we take anatomy, histology, and neuroscience with the med students. So I believe we would be in anatomy together if you were to be accepted. And bet. I hope you get in!

I'm doing the MS in anatomy program, its not the same program as ACP but we take anatomy, histology, and neuroscience with the med students. So I believe we would be in anatomy together if you were to be accepted. And bet. I hope you get in!
You should also check out the Tulane Classifieds page! People post constantly looking for roommates/with housing opportunities.

Congrats on getting into the MS anatomy program. Some MS students did get accepted to med school this cycle. Im surprised theres no forum for that. I don't know the masters students that well so I don't know which schools or how many. Rumor is that nobody got into Tulane.

Yes, I'll be one of a few TAs this year.

I'm going to go off topic as well, but what do you know about the Pharmacology masters? I can't find any recent threads on here which concerns me. Is the reputation declining? At one point I think it was the second best program at Tulane next to ACP.

I'm going to go off topic as well, but what do you know about the Pharmacology masters? I can't find any recent threads on here which concerns me. Is the reputation declining? At one point I think it was the second best program at Tulane next to ACP.
Tulanes pharmacology program is so far off topic, I really can't say anything about it. Sorry.

Just received an acceptance email!! The best news after a hard year :) I'm excited to move to New Orleans and meet everyone else in the program!

Received my acceptance today! I went to Tulane undergrad and have lived in NOLA for 6 years now. If anyone has questions I can try to help!

Sadly, WL'ed. Ironic to have been put on a WL for a program that requires a WL :(

Sadly, WL'ed. Ironic to have been put on a WL for a program that requires a WL :(
Hi balrog26, I was waitlisted for ACLP last year as well. I recommend applying to schools ASAP and not waiting to hear back about the waitlist positions like I did last year. Hopefully there's some movement this year and you get in!

Hi balrog26, I was waitlisted for ACLP last year as well. I recommend applying to schools ASAP and not waiting to hear back about the waitlist positions like I did last year. Hopefully there's some movement this year and you get in!
Thanks for the words of advice! I've got some other Master's apps in at the moment, so fingers crossed on those!
Just frustrating, as I thought I really had a chance here. Any idea how many folks they put on the waitlist in an average year?

Thanks for the words of advice! I've got some other Master's apps in at the moment, so fingers crossed on those!
Just frustrating, as I thought I really had a chance here. Any idea how many folks they put on the waitlist in an average year?
No, I wish I knew! I did call last year and ask but got a vague answer that didn't help. Hopefully them moving the deadline back means there weren't as many applications. If so, that should help your chances! Good luck with your other programs as well!

I got in today! Excited to be at Tulane with everybody. Does anyone know how I might search for housing/any housing advice?

Big congrats to all of you who were accepted yesterday! If you're looking for a FB group, our ACP class created one for you called "ACP 2017-2018". You can ask all sorts of housing advice, but really tho, live in Deming.

To those of you who received this
"After thorough review of your application, we are convinced you have the qualities necessary to perform well in medical school, if given the opportunity. After evaluating all of our applicants, you have been place on the alternate list."
Been there.
Here's what I can say about the waitlist. It's not great odds but its still probably your best chance. Maybe a 11%-16% chance. Try to have an exceedingly positive attitude when calling Shannon to ask about WL movement or confirm that you are interested. This is the time where the admin is interested in having a motivated group of people; those with acceptances might be shopping other programs or waiting for their MD schools. People getting off the waitlist might decline the offer. That's why I think the 8-12 waitlist acceptances is probably still accurate.

Big congrats to all of you who were accepted yesterday! If you're looking for a FB group, our ACP class created one for you called "ACP 2017-2018". You can ask all sorts of housing advice, but really tho, live in Deming.

To those of you who received this

Been there.
Here's what I can say about the waitlist. It's not great odds but its still probably your best chance. Maybe a 11%-16% chance. Try to have an exceedingly positive attitude when calling Shannon to ask about WL movement or confirm that you are interested. This is the time where the admin is interested in having a motivated group of people; those with acceptances might be shopping other programs or waiting for their MD schools. People getting off the waitlist might decline the offer. That's why I think the 8-12 waitlist acceptances is probably still accurate.

Agreed with everything he says EXCEPT don't live in Deming...

Agreed with everything he says EXCEPT don't live in Deming...
OK, live in Deming only if you want to crush your lab practicals and take midday naps.

No, I'm afraid this is simply not true at best and disingenuous at worst. The 8-12 figure was invented because Tulane would clearly like to have an ample pool of candidates that they COULD choose from, in order to make sure their program is full. We're talking about the number of applicants that have been taken off of the wait-list, not the number that could be taken off the wait-list. In the past several years, they've taken only a handful off the WL. For those who have gone through this difficult application cycle and need honest information to plan ahead, it's very misleading to have them wait for the program, delay submitting their AMCAS application as many do, and give up seats at other programs all so Tulane can fill their program at their convenience.

I'm sorry if I made anyone confused with my earlier post. I don't mean to imply that waitlisted applicants not take steps to prepare for other programs or the current AMCAS cycle. I totally get that this is a stressful period for many people, and I'm posting regularly to help mitigate the paucity of information thats available with my own first hand experience. There will be people checking this thread who aren't necessarily posting, and I just wanted to reassure those people, the people who are still excited about this program but who are waitlisted, that there are steps you can take and the game isn't lost yet. I wish you the best of luck and success in your postbacc program this year.

OK, live in Deming only if you want to crush your lab practicals and take midday naps.
You helped me decided lol. I guess I'm going to suck it up for a year and just live in Deming. Also, do you have any resources or tips that I can use to start prepping for anatomy, I never too it in undergrad (chem major).

You helped me decided lol. I guess I'm going to suck it up for a year and just live in Deming. Also, do you have any resources or tips that I can use to start prepping for anatomy, I never too it in undergrad (chem major).

Month to month at Deming. Then move out. Move to the French Quarter, move to the West Bank, just dont stay in Deming after anatomy. Otherwise you will be bored out of your mind. Theres plenty of time to move during Histo. Of course this is only my opinion.

Everything below is totally optional, I don't want to give the impression that you must do this stuff, because I definitely didn't. But since you asked...
I really don't believe it's necessary to pre-study for the core of Anatomy. Embryo and radiology are different beasts. Brush up on your trilaminar discs and meiosis (seriously). First exam will introduce lots of concepts like Xray shadows, radio-opacity/radio-luminescence, planes, motion. Get these down solid and you can relax a bit first week intensely study something else. Its not that much material. I reviewed a lot of Khan Academy bio sciences during the first two weeks.

Also learn how to annotate your notes. Lectures come in pdf, and you download them before each new day. OneNote and Evernote are good options to draw and highlight stuff on pdfs. OneNote (and Office) is free with a Tulane email, so you can go into your Outlook account and get access once you have your tulane email.
Learn how to use Anki. If flashcards are your thing, then it will be valuable.

If you are bored stupid or an insomniac, go ahead and join the facebook group for ACP. Theres a handful of anki decks you can sear into your brain. But I don't recommend hitting that stuff now. Enjoy your summer, don't torture yourself.

Last edited:
In order to do well in the program, did you guys have to spend every day of the 10 weeks studying nonstop or is there some time to like briefly attend festivals and eat out in NO?

Depends on who you are and how you study. Saturdays and Sundays I studied. Post exam block parties and weekends are fine to blow off steam and explore New Orleans a little more.

General response to the above posts. Personally I don't think staying in deming is necessary. It is also extremely possible to have a social life and explore New Orleans while in ACP. And most importantly there is absolutely NO need to be studying or stressing now. You have plenty of time for that in the 11 weeks of anatomy.

Was put on the alternate list when decisions first came out and recently got in off of the waitlist here!

What apartments are worth checking out near the school itself? Right now I'm looking at the California Building, Saratoga Building, and 144 Elk, but they're all a bit too pricey for me (+ gotta drop money on furniture too)
I here a lot of students stay at Falstaff apartments, they are very well priced if you can find a roommate.

I was deciding on whether to stay at deming or not but if there are still other students looking for housing (hopefully a little cheaper and not far from campus) message me!

Can someone explain what the "ACP" program is? I can't find it on Tulane's website. Is it a masters program? What does ACP stand for? It's different from the masters degree program in Pharmacology. I see the other medically related masters programs on the website but I can't find what the ACP is. Does it have a different name?