Tufts MBS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kazekage2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread for this yet....Who else is applying and submitted apps? Anyone heard anything from admissions yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Im a former tufts MBS student and current med student at tufts, feel free to AMA

Reactions: 2 users
I completed my application 1/18 and still waiting to hear back! Anyone been accepted yet to this program?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I applied a few weeks ago and I received an email a little over a week ago saying my application is being reviewed by the admissions committee, but nothing indicating how long the wait is between review and decision. I am excited to hear back from this program! Do most people extend a second year for this program?
Haven't seen a thread for this yet....Who else is applying and submitted apps? Anyone heard anything from admissions yet?
When did you apply? I submitted 1/18 and haven't heard anything yet!

I called and the admissions committee has only recently started reviewing applicants as in mid-January. It seems that the first batch of acceptances hasn't even been sent out yet...I was complete around January 25th.

I called and the admissions committee has only recently started reviewing applicants as in mid-January. It seems that the first batch of acceptances hasn't even been sent out yet...I was complete around January 25th.
ahh I just wamt to know already! Reading posts from last year they seem to have a quick turn over with decisions.

Hi, I applied a few weeks ago and I received an email a little over a week ago saying my application is being reviewed by the admissions committee, but nothing indicating how long the wait is between review and decision. I am excited to hear back from this program! Do most people extend a second year for this program?

Update: Accepted today! Need to give them a decision by March 10. :)
Congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Update: Accepted today! Need to give them a decision by March 10. :)
Congrats!! When was your application complete? Did you receive an email or did you check your application status?

Accepted today! Submitted 1/10, Complete 1/11. Really excited, as this is my top choice though I may wait to hear back from a couple other programs before submitting my deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! Submitted 1/10, Complete 1/11. Really excited, as this is my top choice though I may wait to hear back from a couple other programs before submitting my deposit.
Congrats!!

Last edited:
I will be applying but haven't submitted my app yet! And will be taking the GRE so I'll have to send my scores after submitting

My application was complete on January 30th and I was accepted February 16th

Congratulations to those who have been accepted!! And those of you still waiting, keep your head up high!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was marked complete yesterday so here goes. Waitlisted at one school and live in the area of Tufts and took an MCAT course there with some of the current MBS students. They couldn't say enough good things so I really hope I get this opportunity.

My application was marked complete yesterday so here goes. Waitlisted at one school and live in the area of Tufts and took an MCAT course there with some of the current MBS students. They couldn't say enough good things so I really hope I get this opportunity.
Goodluck!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
When I go to my portal it still says status: submitted but I received an email saying my application is complete.
Is that normal?

hi @boston_med, can you share your timeline between applying for the MBS program and getting accepted to TUSM? if you can speak in a bit of detail especially on how your research year went with interviews any everything that would be great

I'm waitlisted.. Does anyone know anything about waitlisted applicants from previous years? I was just wondering what my chances are getting in this year.

Rejected! Congrats to all who were accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Got an email to check my admissions status and was accepted this morning! I applied 2 years ago and decided to go somewhere else, so I'm really surprised they gave me a second chance :)
sGPA 2.99, cGPA 3.4, MCAT 32 (expired/retaking in July)

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email to check my admissions status and was accepted this morning! I applied 2 years ago and decided to go somewhere else, so I'm really surprised they gave me a second chance :)
sGPA 2.99, cGPA 3.4, MCAT 32 (expired/retaking in July)
Congrats! When was your application complete? Im anxiously awaiting....

Submitted application: 1/30/17
Received email saying application is complete: 2/2/17
Acceptance email: 2/7/17

Most likely going to accept! Excited to meet those of you who accept as well :)

Accepted! For those of you planning on attending the program, can you tell me the reasons why? I'm trying to decide between this program and a few others..

Accepted! For those of you planning on attending the program, can you tell me the reasons why? I'm trying to decide between this program and a few others..

I personally have heard great things about the program and know someone who got accepted into the Dental School after the program, who normally would not have had a chance. It also seems like a more well-established and accredited program than many others, such as NYU's program for example.

Does anyone else have any more information about this program? Class size? Any difference between pre-dental/pre-med students?

Class size my year was around 125. There is no difference in the program for pre-dent and pre-med students. It does not guarantee an interview at Tufts, although a large percentage of the class does receive one. Some students will apply and be accepted to medical school while they are taking classes in the program, but most will not. The vast majority will apply the summer after finishing their coursework rather than the summer before.

Hey all,
Who's still eagerly waiting to hear back? :unsure:

Anyone want to comment on how it compares to BU MAMS?

Refer to more extended message below.

Last edited:
Im a former tufts MBS student and current med student at tufts, feel free to AMA
Hi, I was recently accepted to Tufts, Georgetown, Case Western and also considering Johns Hopkins HSI. How was your Tufts experience? Did it have strong affiliations with research institutions/opportunities? Was there time outside of classwork to volunteer and do research? And what kinds of schools did your classmates get into? I have not taken the MCAT, and recently switched to the medical path so it is imperative that the school I choose will allow me to prove myself academically, moderately help me with getting fellowships/research positions/paid positions, and give me time to bulk up other areas of my application as well. And lastly, were you deciding between multiple schools and what made you choose Tufts? Thank you so much!

Hi
1 I just applied and was hoping to hear about people's experiences in the program. Is there a lot of support available? They say about 50% of students get an interview to Tufts Med, how about acceptance? If you don't mind, could you share your original stats?

Just got waitlisted.
Can anyone offer any advice? I really want to attend this program! I really like their design, and it seems that they have a supportive environment as well. (I'm also freaking out just a bit because my application portal refreshed just as they picked up my call to ask about my application status. Hope they didn't think I was freaking out too much. That really caught me by surprise)

I'm not quite sure what I should send other than a letter of continued interest and an additional LoR, or what to include. Since I'm teaching and working on my Ed Master's at the moment, I can't send many updates as far as science-related matters go until I take more science courses in the summer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Background Info:
Graduated May 2015, currently working with Teach for America
cGPA: 2.95 (with courses post-college, approx 3.0) sGPA: 2.7
- These were largely due to poor insight and decisions back in college, which I briefly mentioned in my personal statement
Master's in Ed GPA: 3.77

1.5 years research, hundreds of shadowing/volunteer hours, and good ECs overall

Last edited:
Just got waitlisted.
Can anyone offer any advice? I really want to attend this program! I really like their design, and it seems that they have a supportive environment as well. (I'm also freaking out just a bit because my application portal refreshed just as they picked up my call to ask about my application status. Hope they didn't think I was freaking out too much. That really caught me by surprise)

I'm not quite sure what I should send other than a letter of continued interest and an additional LoR, or what to include. Since I'm teaching and working on my Ed Master's at the moment, I can't send many updates as far as science-related matters go until I take more science courses in the summer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Background Info:
Graduated May 2015, currently working with Teach for America
cGPA: 2.945 (with courses post-college, approx 3.0) sGPA: 2.7
- These were largely due to poor insight and decisions back in college, which I briefly mentioned in my personal statement
Master's in Ed GPA: 3.77

1.5 years research, hundreds of shadowing/volunteer hours, and good ECs overall[/QUOTE

Hopefully it'll all work out! How were your test scores? And who wrote your LoRs?

Long time lurker, first post.

Was just accepted to the MBS!! I was wondering if any current or former student could comment on the culture at the program? Are people fairly friendly and supportive? How difficult is it to make study groups? Do the faculty and administration seem to want to be there? Thank you!

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything - looking for a rough idea of what the weekly schedule looks like in this program. Meaning how much class each day, how does attendance work, are lectures live streamed or actually going to class, etc... Really appreciate the input!

Long time lurker, first post.

Was just accepted to the MBS!! I was wondering if any current or former student could comment on the culture at the program? Are people fairly friendly and supportive? How difficult is it to make study groups? Do the faculty and administration seem to want to be there? Thank you!

I think this depends a little on the class. My class was very collaborative and we were "forced" to sign up for study groups during orientation (though we could drop or switch them whenever, it wasn't really enforced). This year's class, from what I've heard, might be a little more competitive, but they do seem to still share resources and such. They also were not forced to make study groups. If that's the case with your class, I'd suggest reaching out to people you meet in orientation early on. You will find people fairly easily who want to form a study group. As for faculty and administration...there aren't many administrators, but my interactions with them were excellent. I think there was maybe one faculty member who didn't necessarily seem as enthusiastic about teaching us, but for the most part that was not the case. We had dozens of professors and there is only one I could think of who maybe didn't want to be there haha.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything - looking for a rough idea of what the weekly schedule looks like in this program. Meaning how much class each day, how does attendance work, are lectures live streamed or actually going to class, etc... Really appreciate the input!

The schedule changes every day, every week. For the most part you'll have 3-5 hours of class a day and about 15-20 hours a week of class. They don't take attendance for anything except the MCAT class if you choose to take it, and optional review sessions (only relevant if you need tutoring, you're required to attend review sessions to get private/small group tutoring). Lectures are video recorded, but weren't live-streamed (at least not for my class).

The schedule changes every day, every week. For the most part you'll have 3-5 hours of class a day and about 15-20 hours a week of class. They don't take attendance for anything except the MCAT class if you choose to take it, and optional review sessions (only relevant if you need tutoring, you're required to attend review sessions to get private/small group tutoring). Lectures are video recorded, but weren't live-streamed (at least not for my class).
Thanks!