Tufts 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed yesterday, loved everything about it. Crossing all my fingers they accept me!!! How do the rest of you who interviewed feel?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also interviewed yesterday, it certainly is a very impressive school. I was extremely disappointed by their financial aid process, but other than that a wonderful school.

I also interviewed yesterday, it certainly is a very impressive school. I was extremely disappointed by their financial aid process, but other than that a wonderful school.
I was rejected this year, but for future reference in case I apply again, what disappointed you about their financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected this year, but for future reference in case I apply again, what disappointed you about their financial aid?

They consider any spouse or parents income as a source of support, or both together! I thought it was extremely silly that they don't consider debt of any kind, even if you have to pay during school. Plus their five years independent rule is a little much in my opinion. I have been independent of my parents for years, but not long enough for them. :shrug:

They consider any spouse or parents income as a source of support, or both together! I thought it was extremely silly that they don't consider debt of any kind, even if you have to pay during school. Plus their five years independent rule is a little much in my opinion. I have been independent of my parents for years, but not long enough for them. :shrug:
Wow that's pretty ridiculous, thanks for the info!

I was also really disappointed by the fact that an in state refund is not guaranteed and that they assign an amount that they think your parents should be able to contribute... like they're not going to do that. I'm also extremely unsure about how I did during that interview. Should've been a slam dunk but I kind of choked. Time will tell I guess.

Wait, do they really consider it like that? My parents haven't contributed a single penny to my undergraduate education nor would they be able to contribute to my veterinary school education. It seems kind of silly to have that rule!

Wait, do they really consider it like that? My parents haven't contributed a single penny to my undergraduate education nor would they be able to contribute to my veterinary school education. It seems kind of silly to have that rule!
That is crazy that they would assume that at that level in education that parents are going to contribute to our education...... That is nuts... Also, does anyone know what date the FAFSA needs to be done?

The way I understood it they don't necessarily expect your parents to contribute, they just require information about your parents' income/finances if you haven't been independent of them for more than 5 years. So if your parents can't contribute, that would be clear and they would take that into consideration in your aid package.

The woman giving the financial aid presentation seemed friendly and approachable so I'm sure if you had more questions about your specific situation and whether you'd count as independent you could ask!

Reactions: 1 users
That is crazy that they would assume that at that level in education that parents are going to contribute to our education...... That is nuts... Also, does anyone know what date the FAFSA needs to be done?

FAFSA deadline is Feb 12 or 13th and PSA: TUFTS REQUIRES A SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR INSTITUTIONAL AID (and a signed copy of 2015 tax returns and W2 sent directly to them). This should be in the financial aid email, but if you're like me and assumed "Oh yeah, FAFSA"...

The way I understood it they don't necessarily expect your parents to contribute, they just require information about your parents' income/finances if you haven't been independent of them for more than 5 years. So if your parents can't contribute, that would be clear and they would take that into consideration in your aid package.

The woman giving the financial aid presentation seemed friendly and approachable so I'm sure if you had more questions about your specific situation and whether you'd count as independent you could ask!

I did speak to her after her presentation, and she said that they look at your parents income as your assets that you could draw upon. I thought it was ridiculous, but I'm sure there are some student who could do that. The vast majority of us are not receiving support from our parents and to assume that we do is a determent to our potential assistance.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else think the interview was...surprisingly easy? It was my fourth interview this year, and they didn't really ask me any typical interview questions like in others. It was basically just talking about my background, experiences, application. Either way, I loved the school - it's definitely still my #1 choice!

Anyone else think the interview was...surprisingly easy? It was my fourth interview this year, and they didn't really ask me any typical interview questions like in others. It was basically just talking about my background, experiences, application. Either way, I loved the school - it's definitely still my #1 choice!

Yeah it felt really natural.. makes it hard to tell how it went from their end because it seemed like we were just talking!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who flew in, how did you get to the campus from the airport? I am planning to rent a car, but I wanted to know if there was a better way.

For those of you who flew in, how did you get to the campus from the airport? I am planning to rent a car, but I wanted to know if there was a better way.

It's fairly easy to get from the airport to the commuter rail at south station or north station and there is a commuter rail stop a 10 minute walking distance from the veterinary school campus. It would be significantly cheaper than renting a car.

Alternatively, you could potentially carpool with other people who are flying in to offset the costs :)

I think the interview invite email has links to public transportation companies, and you could always use google maps. With buses/trains its less than $20 to get to vet school from my hotel in Boston!

http://www.mbta.com/

I found this website to be super helpful for the T! Just use the trip planning rider tool on the front page to put in addresses and it'll tell you what stations to take and how much the cost will be.

As far as I can tell, we don't need to submit fall transcripts... has anyone heard otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As far as I can tell, we don't need to submit fall transcripts... has anyone heard otherwise?

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: "I sent an email and asked and this is what was sent back to me: Although we don’t technically require applicants to send us fall grades, we certainly welcome official transcripts to be sent after fall term grades are posted. If you have to pay for transcripts, then I might suggest waiting to see if you are invited for an interview or placed on our waiting list for an interview. If you get either of these decisions, then I would certainly recommend that you do send them so we can update your GPA. We accept official electronic transcripts sent to [email protected] or mailed to Office of Admissions at the address below my signature (no preference either way)."

I sent in mine just to be sure (and because my grades have definitely gotten better!).

Someone posted this earlier in the thread: "I sent an email and asked and this is what was sent back to me: Although we don’t technically require applicants to send us fall grades, we certainly welcome official transcripts to be sent after fall term grades are posted. If you have to pay for transcripts, then I might suggest waiting to see if you are invited for an interview or placed on our waiting list for an interview. If you get either of these decisions, then I would certainly recommend that you do send them so we can update your GPA. We accept official electronic transcripts sent to [email protected] or mailed to Office of Admissions at the address below my signature (no preference either way)."

I sent in mine just to be sure (and because my grades have definitely gotten better!).

Awesome, thank you! I'll send mine in the morning!

Does anyone contact with current students about staying at students' homes? I never got a response, and am wondering if that means there is no space available?

Are there any current students at Tufts I can PM with some general student life questions? I already had my interview, but I just had an interview at Purdue yesterday so now I have several new questions for Tufts students haha

So for those of you who took the train to get near the campus, how did you get to your hotel and to the interview? I emailed about staying with a student, but they haven't gotten back to me. I've never used Uber before, but did yall? What hotel is closest to the campus?

Honestly, I am so bad at traveling. I am more nervous about getting to the interview than the actual interview. :(

Did you use the updated info they sent out? It was about a day after the original email.
Yes I did! I clicked on the link to create a new massage to make sure I don't make a mistake when typing in their email address.

Last edited:
So for those of you who took the train to get near the campus, how did you get to your hotel and to the interview? I emailed about staying with a student, but they haven't gotten back to me. I've never used Uber before, but did yall? What hotel is closest to the campus?

Honestly, I am so bad at traveling. I am more nervous about getting to the interview than the actual interview. :(

Same here, I contacted with them two weeks ago and never get a response. One possibility could be that they are waiting until several days before our interview to let us know if they have enough hosts. I will wait until next week and if I still don't hear anything, I will find a hotel for myself when I still have time to do so.
I found hotels and airbnb near the vet school (3-5 miles away), and you could use uber to get around if you stay in Grafton. In one of the emails they sent out there is hotel/inn information. I am even planning on staying in Boston and take the early trains to Grafton on interview day (the trains take about 2 hours) so I don't need to carry my suitcase with me all day.

Is it true that we don't hear back until all interviews are done? From looking back this seems like the case but just wanted to see if there was any hope of hearing back earlier haha

Is it true that we don't hear back until all interviews are done? From looking back this seems like the case but just wanted to see if there was any hope of hearing back earlier haha

Unfortunately it's usually around the 3rd week of February.

Lived in Grafton my whole life ( Since last year when I left for college) , feel free to ask questions if you have any questions/concerns about the area!

Lived in Grafton my whole life ( Since last year when I left for college) , feel free to ask questions if you have any questions/concerns about the area!

How do you like the area? What is there to do? How is public transit and is it bike friendly? What are the winters like?

How do you like the area? What is there to do? How is public transit and is it bike friendly? What are the winters like?

I love the area! Very peaceful, very wooded, small town kind of feel yet it has everything you need.

It's right next to Worcester which has any kind of service / shop / speciality whatever you need. Personally can't speak for "adult entertainment" back home, but from what I understand the Worcester scene is a bit sketchy for bars /clubs, most of my friends go to Boston.

Expect a few big snow storms every winter, wasn't uncommon to be out of school for days at a time. Grafton does a good job salting the roads but freezing roads and sidewalks can be dangerous.

As someone mentioned earlier there is a commuter rail station that stops in Grafton so to get to Boston is no problem, Worcester county does have public buses but I've never used them. I don't recall bike lanes but there are sidewalks basically everywhere.

Super safe! You don't hear much about crimes in Grafton.

Hey all, so maybe I'm getting interview days mixed up (what a problem to have haha) but did they send out a schedule of the interview day at some point? Or can someone who already interviewed give a bit of the low-down on what goes on at what time during the day? I'm trying to figure out my plans for getting there. I think my interview is scheduled for around 3-something but I want to get there earlier if there's tours or talks or anything. Thanks!!

Hey all, so maybe I'm getting interview days mixed up (what a problem to have haha) but did they send out a schedule of the interview day at some point? Or can someone who already interviewed give a bit of the low-down on what goes on at what time during the day? I'm trying to figure out my plans for getting there. I think my interview is scheduled for around 3-something but I want to get there earlier if there's tours or talks or anything. Thanks!!

There is a whole day of activities you will want to be there for. It starts about 8:45 I think. They'll send out the schedule when it gets closer.

In one of the emails there was a link (says 'click here') to a PDF file of schedule!

So question...

How does one answer "Tell me about yourself" in an open file interview? I feel like I would just be repeating a lot of what is already in my app. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if how I did it in my Kansas interview was good enough and I'm hoping to improve for Tufts

So question...

How does one answer "Tell me about yourself" in an open file interview? I feel like I would just be repeating a lot of what is already in my app. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not sure if how I did it in my Kansas interview was good enough and I'm hoping to improve for Tufts
Really there is no way to prepare for it. They didn't ask me to tell them about myself. They asked a question related to my application and then it was very conversational the rest of the time. It was a back and forth thing. I asked a question and then they asked a question. I couldn't even tell you any of the questions because it was that conversational. They just want to get to know you and all about your experiences. You basically expand upon your app. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's how it went. :)

Could anyone recommend a 3-credit online organic chemistry 2? Lecture only is fine (I already have lab).

This is my last prerequisite for Tufts and I have time conflict at my school... trying to find something online that is acceptable at Tufts. I found 2 but they would not approve them:(

Could anyone recommend a 3-credit online organic chemistry 2? Lecture only is fine (I already have lab).

This is my last prerequisite for Tufts and I have time conflict at my school... trying to find something online that are accepted at Tufts. I found 2 but they would not approve them:(

Have you looked at university of Minnesota? Their classes are crazy expensive but I took biochem online with them and Tufts accepted it.

Have you looked at university of Minnesota? Their classes are crazy expensive but I took biochem online with them and Tufts accepted it.
Thank you so much I'll check that!

Edit: no they don't have it. They have biochem and even graduate research, but no organic chemistry...
Thank you anyways!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much I'll check that!

Edit: no they don't have it. They have biochem and even graduate research, but no organic chemistry...
Thank you anyways!!
Have you tried the University of New England online health prerequisites?

Really there is no way to prepare for it. They didn't ask me to tell them about myself. They asked a question related to my application and then it was very conversational the rest of the time. It was a back and forth thing. I asked a question and then they asked a question. I couldn't even tell you any of the questions because it was that conversational. They just want to get to know you and all about your experiences. You basically expand upon your app. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that's how it went. :)

Thanks for your reply! Haha well if they don't ask me that then I would be super happy :). I don't know why I always struggle with that. I guess I just need to stop stressing about it!

Thanks for your reply! Haha well if they don't ask me that then I would be super happy :). I don't know why I always struggle with that. I guess I just need to stop stressing about it!
I stressed about the same things because it is so hard to know what to say and what to incorporate or not. They get to know you through the questions they ask. :) You have nothing to worry about. The first thing they said in the room was that there was no reason I should be nervous because it was just going to be a conversation. Just look over your application and stuff and you will be fine.

I stressed about the same things because it is so hard to know what to say and what to incorporate or not. They get to know you through the questions they ask. :) You have nothing to worry about. The first thing they said in the room was that there was no reason I should be nervous because it was just going to be a conversation. Just look over your application and stuff and you will be fine.

Thank you so much!!! :D